« No Bobcats moves yet, but stay tuned | Main | Bobcats get McInnis and price isn't bad »

August 22, 2007

Former Bobcats executive Ed Tapscott back in NBA

Ed Tapscott, the man who built the Charlotte Bobcats from an idea into an NBA franchise, is returning to the NBA.

Tapscott, the Bobcats’ first president, will run player programs for the Washington Wizards. In that role he’ll scout talent and mentor players for his close friend, Wizards general manager Ernie Grunfeld.

It’s a good move on several levels: Tapscott gets back into basketball, he works with Grunfeld and he gets to stay in his hometown.

Posted by rbonnell on August 22, 2007 at 08:01 AM | Permalink

Comments

I attended all and still attend all of my team's games. Why does the owner of your new team not attend his teams games?

Posted by: georgeshinn | Aug 22, 2007 9:36:28 AM

George,

I think it's because their owner is busy making money with all his companies to pay and keep their good players on the team.

By the way, Zo and I are going to push LJ around in his wheelchair this afternoon. His back has been giving him problems again.

Super Hugo

PS: Give me a raise.

Posted by: Super Hugo | Aug 22, 2007 10:46:29 AM

Or, it's because he does attend the games, and does own his own place in Charlotte...but the ignorant rednecks don't know any better.

Posted by: Will | Aug 22, 2007 12:01:01 PM

Yeah, don't really understand why they continually say he doesn't attend or own a house in Charlotte. But then they are racist, which is the antithesis of fact and logic

Posted by: Bonnell=Greatest Reporter Ever! | Aug 22, 2007 1:13:10 PM

I want to thank Mr. Johnson. He knows exactly what he is doing, please leave him alone. We are leading the league in attendance in our unnamed arena. We have the most consecutive sellouts of all the other nba teams. Not to mention we will be world champions next year. He is also working on a tv deal that would allow more than 200 people to pick up their games on tv. So please all you rednecks that can't see realty please leave him alone.

Posted by: insider | Aug 22, 2007 3:35:55 PM

GOOD GAWD!

Posted by: Me | Aug 22, 2007 9:00:28 PM

Insider, you really are a sick little racist puppy!

Posted by: jrj | Aug 22, 2007 11:00:51 PM

I enjoy attending bobcat games when I am able. It does concern me that we have the lowest attendance in the nba. I am afraid that the community will never accept this team, and they will either move or become like the wnba team. I don't know enough about the owner to say if it is his fault or not. However, he certainly has not won over many people.

Posted by: bobcatfan | Aug 23, 2007 2:27:33 PM

The Hornets poisoned the well in Charlotte so much that it seems many will never forget. Though it seems some people also still love the hornets for come unknown.

And then there are just the racists who are going to hate any successful black person. First Black NBA president should be fine putting a team in the south, but I guess not. I have always disliked charlotte for various reasons, so I get to add a new one now.

Posted by: Bonnell=Greatest Reporter Ever! | Aug 24, 2007 11:49:50 AM

Two Words: Digital Cable

Lost most of us the first season.

Posted by: Ellen | Aug 24, 2007 2:41:22 PM

Well I am leaving to go see a 1st class team and owner tonight.

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?

Posted by: sportsfan | Aug 24, 2007 5:18:57 PM

Don't worry the Bobcats have made some great moves in the offseason. Their young nucleous will help make the up-tempo offense flow and with Emeka, G-Force and JRich our transistion defense will be OK. And don't worry about the attendance records, there is no way we will finish last in attendance this year because the Hornets have to play all their games in New Orleans

Posted by: Ray Woolridge | Aug 25, 2007 8:38:34 AM

sportsfan, a first class team with first class ownership usually comes close to meeting expectations. 8-8 and missing the playoffs for a team expected to win the Super Bowl truly reflects a first class team with first class ownership! This year doesn't look much better as you left to see first hand. On the other hand, I guess you were talking about the New England Patriots when you made your reference. Go Bobcats, you really don't deserve being in a hick town like Charlotte!

Posted by: jrj | Aug 25, 2007 5:51:10 PM

why do people say there are so many ignorant red necks in Charlotte?? Has no one looked around and asked people where thay are from?? Upstate NY (the mexico of the US) and Mexico.

Try not to hate everyone that is white complaining about an all black owned team. Its just a fact. Just like BET is a black oriented TV station. It is what it is. Just observations of the fact based on truth...If I like hip hop I would watch it, just like if I liked chick flicks I'd watch Oxygen...This is about sports here not racial opinions or whatever... WE should have a good team next year, or at least better!

Posted by: Local | Aug 26, 2007 10:48:50 PM

Wow, don't know what to say to that well-thought out, perfectly logical post...but the heart is in the right place, I think.

Posted by: Bonnell=Greatest Reporter Ever! | Aug 27, 2007 12:23:15 PM

I could not agree with you more RJR. The bobcats do not deserve to be in this town. With any luck we will be rid of them within 5 years.

Posted by: sportsfan | Aug 28, 2007 10:49:35 PM

Ahhh sportfan, Mr BET (Blatantly Envious Trash) himself, I couldn't agree with you more if your attitude were indicative of that of the general population. Unfortunately, as I read forums that require authentication for posting, I find that you may be more racist than typical. Your posts are laced with cognitive distortions...a potentially serious disorder.

Posted by: jrj | Aug 30, 2007 9:58:53 AM

It's a lot more simple than that. There are many factors as to why the former Hornets were more popular than the Bobcats now. For one, they were at one time the ONLY sport to go see! In the late 80's early 90's, it was Hornets or go bowling!! haha The sport dollar wasn't as stretched as it is now with the Panthers around, playing the most popular sport in America, football! Plus, the old Hornets team in Charlotte had a lot of guys that the fans could fall in love with like Muggsy (little guy, big heart) and regional stars like Dell Curry. The Bobcats are just a team in a city with another and BETTER team to watch. The Bobcats have no history. No tradition. It will take him to develop a base, it will take a winning club, because no other factors are working in their favor. It is not the owner. It is not anything. The city isn't the same as it was 20 years ago and fans keep comparing what once was with today.

Posted by: Clay | Aug 30, 2007 10:31:38 AM

Clay, I almost totally agree with your observations. Your really nailed it on the head when you mentioned the choices we had a couple of decades ago and the arrival of the most popular sport in America. Being a big football and basketball fan, I pull for both the Panthers and the Bobcats. The only reason I used the word "almost" is because you chose to use "BETTER". To me, this is a matter of expectations. I have to admit that the Bobcats have exceeded my expectations every year and I can always point out progress to my Lakers, Spurs and "other" friends. On the other hand, I was VERY disappointed when the Panthers practically flopped when all the experts had us in the Super Bowl. This was a hard pill for me to swallow and there was nothing I could say to the Redskin and Cowboy fans who got a kick out of reminding me. It is amazing how many @%&^#& Redskins fans were born and live in NC! I always have to pull for our "home" team. Sorry to get a little off topic, good observations!

Posted by: rjr | Aug 31, 2007 2:31:10 PM

Here's the thing. The Panthers did not have a solid fan base within the city of charlotte or the surrounding area til pretty much 2004 when they went to the super bowl. People who moved here from other US cities typically pull for the teams they grew up around, as well as people from here grew up watching the Redskins, Falcons, Colts, etc...

All that to get to the point of this, the Bobcats will have a huge fan base after they make their first march through the playoffs. If they make the playoffs for a few years in a row people will SERIOUSLY forget the Hornets were ever here. Just like the Brewers replaced the Braves, the Royals replaced the Athletics, Ravens replaced the... you get the picture.

As far as how things go with ownership. It has nothing to do with race and everthing to do with the fact that a guy who owned a tv network has NO CLUE how to run an NBA team. The front office has no PR skills and they don't know how to get into the hearts of the community. Winning will solve everything just like it did for the Panthers. Just give the Bobcats a few more years.

And for all the people out there who hate Charlotte so much, feel free to leave. You'll make my commute easier! There are millions of great people that make up the metro area. A few bad eggs don't represent all that are from here!

Posted by: Aaron | Sep 15, 2007 4:19:15 AM

Comments

Posted by: georgeshinn | Aug 22, 2007 6:36:28 AM

Perhaps it is because he is not sleeping with the cheerleaders?

Posted by: FMJ | Sep 15, 2007 10:20:58 AM