« Bobcats get McInnis and price isn't bad | Main | Vincent a witness for defense »

September 14, 2007

Vincent's style, candor refreshing

Bobcats coach Sam Vincent will be judged by what he does, not by what he says.

So while his statement to the Observer Thursday – that he wants his team aiming for home-court in the playoffs – sounds outrageous, it doesn’t matter. What matters is whether this team makes progress and competes for a playoff spot – any playoff spot.

It doesn’t take much time around Vincent to discern the guy is smart and extremely confident. He listens to others, but he isn’t particularly swayed by them. And he’s convinced the best way to pursue greatness is to lay out high goals – very public high goals.

Sounds like he was letting the players know they’re accountable in the most public forum available. The Bobcats desperately need a fast start, with the schedule so loaded with road games in February and March. This is one way to fire off a starter’s pistol.

Vincent’s take is surprising more because of how Charlotte sports fans have been conditioned of late. Carolina Panthers coach John Fox prides himself in never letting down his guard with the local media. Candor and spontaneity will never be Fox’s way.

So when Vincent takes a seemingly high bar – reaching the playoffs for the first time – and pushes it even higher, we’re surprised.

Different coaches, different styles, different agendas.

Posted by rbonnell on September 14, 2007 at 08:39 AM | Permalink

Comments

Wait for it....wait for it.......where the hell is the negative part of this article? DickNose, you've really lost your touch. Did you get knocked in the head recently?

Posted by: Jefferson Davis | Sep 14, 2007 1:01:08 PM

Let's hope he can keep his assistant coach off of cocaine.

Posted by: thefan | Sep 14, 2007 4:57:00 PM

I have a feeling that this guy is going to end up being one helluva coach. Sure, he'll make a few "growing" mistakes but look out. If we can have a healthy year, especially Sean May, we should be able to surprise a few people. I think Morrison will also have a better year now that he is no longer under so much pressure. We now have several players who can fill it up. We also have good defenders. I can hardly wait for the season to start. Our first eight players are pretty darn good!

Posted by: Mo | Sep 14, 2007 6:43:28 PM

Wait, I don't get it - what does this have to do with Brevin Knight?

Posted by: BKFan | Sep 15, 2007 8:50:03 AM

Give him a chance before you begin throwing him under the bus........

Posted by: FMJ | Sep 15, 2007 10:23:17 AM

I am really looking forward to this upcoming season. Personally, I like the high goals that Vincent has set for the team. Like he said, if you don't see yourselves as a championship team, it is impossible to actually be one.

Plus with Felton, Wallace, Richardson and Okafor starting, and May and Morrison coming off the bench, we will have a fairly deep squad next season.

Posted by: Babcat fan | Sep 15, 2007 12:50:37 PM

I like the high expectations. If you look at the talent thats been accumulated on this roster (although its very young) we SHOULD be fighting for a #4 seed in the weak (I don't give a crap about the Celtics or their new additions) Eastern Conference.

Posted by: Ziggy | Sep 16, 2007 8:08:40 AM

Did someone say that the coaching staff needed some cocaine? I am running a special right now. I think the management of this team has been on it a long time. Bob Johnson has me change his cocaine to a black color. He said he wasn't snorting no honkie stuff.

Posted by: drugdealer | Sep 16, 2007 7:33:32 PM

Coach V is going to be something special..

Posted by: David | Sep 17, 2007 7:27:04 PM

Defense is going to fuel this team, creating offense and excitement.

Posted by: Bobcats Block Party | Sep 17, 2007 9:34:26 PM

Vincent and Felton could have a great relationship, as Felton has embraced this same approach as well. I think that the changing of the guard is right on time and I hope that Vincent breathes fresh life into the team.

Posted by: jperry | Sep 18, 2007 4:27:55 AM

I like it, I like his bold predictions.I feel such a way. Look at that line-up pending injuries. We can run with the best of them. The additions and additions to come and the new optimistic coach. The season looks promising, since we inked the deal to keep Gerald, that put us in a 4-6 spot. Charlotte I dont think is ready for the playoffs with this team, but its coming folks, get ready. I do see and feel we will get past the first round as well. Felton and Coach Vincent will be a nice relationship. He did well with helping Jason Terry come back stronger after the dismal lost and bad shooting he did in games 3 and a half to game 6 in the finals against the Heat. He works his guards and with Harris and wing man Howard. Believe it folks Vincent will love coaching these guys and these guys will love to play for him. Grant it we dont have MVP in Dirk, but we have collective shooting that will mount up. Aka Morrison, Hermann, Carroll. Herm can bang so there u go. We have a strong team, and WE will be fresh but we have to support him differently than what John Fox is getting.. We have to help make him feel we can succeed, from jump street. Even when it gets tough. But I think we will be fine including the Panthers...13-3 predicted record! :)) take that bold prediction Panther World.

We need Rija Bell or Andres Nocioni, Mike Sweetney, Ronny Turiaf, Maceo Baston,...any of them 1 guys well do...probably Nocioni or Turiaf-high energy guy...defense. In case May cant give us all what we need.:)

Posted by: Bobcat Fan01 | Sep 19, 2007 12:43:21 AM

I like what you say about the Bobcats and do believe it is very do-able, but "LOL" the Panthers 13-3? it is nice dreaming big...

Posted by: David | Sep 20, 2007 12:33:25 AM

The Panthers are too up and down. One week they can beat anyone the next week cant get out of their own way. The secondary stinks so far and the D-line hasnt started playing yet. The offence is looking ok thanks to Smith because no one else seems to be able to catch the ball.
The Bobcats are going to be noticably alot better this year.

Posted by: David | Sep 20, 2007 12:39:36 AM