« Herrmann will be needed | Main | Okafor worth a maximum contract? »

October 12, 2007

Felton still shooting often, poorly

Stray thoughts on a 0-2 Bobcats preseason:

• Raymond Felton is shooting 4-of-16 combined in the first two exhibitions. Remember, he took the most shots on this team last season, while failing to make 40 percent from the field. You do not want this from a point guard, who's supposed to find teammates good shots. Felton isn't a selfish player; I seldom see him throwing up foolish shots early in possessions. But often the shots he misses are a reflection of how poorly that possession has gone, as far as getting the ball to a Jason Richardson, Matt Carroll or Emeka Okafor for a better attempt.
  • Speaking of Okafor's shooting, he's gone back to that bank shot he made so often as a rookie, at about a 45-degree angle to the basket. Okafor can make that as either a jump shot or a jump hook. It was his best move as a rookie, but he'd strayed from it in recent years, perhaps trying too hard to broaden his game. Anyway, Mek had that going over Adonal Foyle, a decent defender, in Orlando Wednesday.
  • Sean May is in for a long, rough recovery from microfracture surgery, based on Phoenix center Amare Stoudemire's recollection.When May's surgery plan was announced, a friend of mine, Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic, offered to ask Stoudemire about his own microfracture experience. Here's Stoudemire's reply:  "The microfracture is never a good feeling because it takes a long time to bounce back from and the odds are against you. There are only maybe one or two guys in history who came back from microfracture (completely) and you’re looking at one of them. It’s going to be tough for him. It shouldn’t be too hard (but) you’ve got to stay focused and attack the rehab like no other rehabilitation ever."

Posted by rbonnell on October 12, 2007 at 01:00 PM | Permalink

Comments

It's unusual, watching how the PG spot has actually become a weak spot for this team. Felton is still Felton, and McInnis has been worse than I thought he would be. The past two games, the offense has gone to the crapper when he subbed in.

I don't know that we can afford to have two big weak spots on the team (PF/C + PG) and still expect to make the playoffs. It would require virtually perfect health from all our players, and that's unlikely.

As for the note about May...yeah, that pretty sounds like his career is over. May's rehab may turn into a "rehabilitation like no other," but that's probably because he'll balloon to 500lbs while "rehabbing." If how he turns out is dependent on his self-discipline and desire, well, stick a fork in his pro career.

Posted by: Will | Oct 12, 2007 1:46:51 PM

9 dimes in 22 minutes isn't finding his teammates?

He is shooting abysmally, but he's not even close to taking the most shots this (pre)season. Game one he was 6th, last night 4th (without Crash, which probably would have pushed him to 5th).

It's preseason...they're dealing with a new go to guy, new system with a new coach. Let's at least get in a week or two of REAL games before we go into panic mode.

May's probably done. He's not shown the drive to lose weight, so I doubt he's going to change when the challenge is so much bigger.

Posted by: spectre | Oct 12, 2007 1:51:24 PM

Yeah, spectre, you're right. It's not like a multitude of TERRIBLE shots is a pattern Felton has shown or anything. Give him another couple years, and he'll have it hammered down by then, right?

Posted by: Michael Procton | Oct 12, 2007 4:28:31 PM

At least you got the first sentence right.

Posted by: spectre | Oct 12, 2007 5:01:29 PM

Ignore Procton; he's a Duke fan who likes to use the racial slur "Tar Baby" to refer to UNC athletes.

Posted by: J. | Oct 12, 2007 6:58:24 PM

The bobcats have a lot guys that are willing to jack up shots, but that doesn't win games if the other team scores more than them. Hello!!! Defense was a strong thing a year ago. The guards here can't guard (lol, thats cool) ala ALAN ANDERSON was the only guard they could put in to get right in the face of the competitor and was not affraid.

So just keep jacking up shots and keep hope alive that the other teams fg % is worst.

HA HA!!!

Posted by: T-Dub | Oct 12, 2007 8:14:36 PM

Primoz Brezec is a f'ing joke. they need to cut this piece of sh it immediately. ok the start of his past 2 seasons: last year he can't play to open the season because he's too tired. TOO TIRED????? and now this bum misses all of training camp and the preseason for "family reasons" and won't explain what they were. I'm calling bullsh it on this one. Get rid of this lazy waste of space and pick someone up that wants to play and contribute to this team.

Posted by: todd | Oct 13, 2007 9:20:15 AM

I predict that we will be in the finals within 50 years. To bad racist Bob Johnson won't be around then either.

Posted by: kevin | Oct 13, 2007 3:03:48 PM

I don't really know who he is or who he's playing against in these games, but you've got to be impressed with the work of Jameel Watkins thus far. 8 RPG in only 18 minutes is probably pretty impressive in a good pickup game at the Y.
Felton impressed last night...sort of. I'll take the 5-9 shooting (particularly if he's only going to take one three-point shot), but the 5:4 Ast:TO ratio is UNACCEPTABLE. It seems like he's never going to find the balance between shooting and play-making necessary to bring his game up above the level of, say, Rafer "Skip to my STREET-BALLIN' Lou" Alston. Check the stats if you don't believe me.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Oct 14, 2007 11:26:45 AM

Are all the comments on this blog done by pre-puberty gangsta wannabes and kkk-kindercare boys? Get a life kiddies or you'll be in Iraq before you know it. Go
'Cats. (Both of our teams) As for the rookie commenters here I see the NBA in all your futures. Nothing But Army.

Posted by: Charlottefan | Oct 14, 2007 1:30:47 PM

Hey Rick,
Why don't you just give us your thoughts without allowing these idiot racists to respond? It's embarrassing to the paper andto the community as well. It just shows how many rightwing rednecks and gangster wannabes we have in this country. Shame on them all.

Posted by: Charlottefan | Oct 14, 2007 1:47:56 PM

GET OUT OF CHARLOTTE, Bonnell! Go to Milwaukee or somewhere!

Posted by: CHillyDoggy | Oct 15, 2007 10:25:32 AM

GET OUT OF CHARLOTTE, Bonnell! Go to Milwaukee or somewhere!

Posted by: CHillyDoggy | Oct 15, 2007 10:27:45 AM

BREZEC WILL LEAD US TO THE WORLD CHAMPSIONSHIP!!

Posted by: LeeL | Oct 15, 2007 5:34:36 PM

So what's the excuse tonight, fellas? I watched Ray Felton myself, and even in person, there was nothing that looked good about 3-10 shooting and a 1:1 TO:AST ratio in 30+ minutes. Maybe he just needs a little more time in this system that is "perfect for his skill set...blah blah blah." Or maybe he'll take any system and emphasize his strengths: poor shooting and decision-making. Furthermore, the competition wasn't much more than that summer league game he dominated. The Nets started Mateen Cleaves, who hasn't even played more than 32 games since the year 2001!!!
On an overall basis, though, you've got to be impressed with our ability to get to the line and to make the shots when we got there. Guys like Gerald, Morrison, and Carroll managed to have good nights without having their shots fall (something that Felton COULDN'T.) Individually, I'm really excited about what J. Davidson brings to the table. He shot well and even had a few nice passes. I could tell that he was more than just a throw-in in the Richardson trade, and he's really shown a lot of potential given that his overall basketball skills are still fairly raw.
One more point of contention: we really could have stood to hit the boards better. Seemed like we were allowing a lot of extended possessions and second-chance points.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Oct 15, 2007 11:04:25 PM

Posted by: Michael Procton | Oct 15, 2007 11:05:21 PM

Forget about MAY & FELTON. None of them are as good as Walter HERRMANN

Its high time that he starts for the new season

Please visit my blog @ http://mundoalbiceleste.blogspot.com

Posted by: john | Oct 16, 2007 12:17:23 AM

Can someone tell me why Walter Herrmann is not getting a look in this preseason?

Posted by: Simon Fox | Oct 16, 2007 12:50:09 AM

Herrmann doesn't play b/c he's not that good. Play over who? Don't let that extensive garbage time last year fool you...

Posted by: BCats Fan | Oct 16, 2007 12:55:47 AM

Excessive garbage time?? He started the last 12 games and played an average of 37.42 mpg. My understanding of the term 'garbage time' relates to the end of a game where the result is already a foregone conclusion, not the entire last eighth of a season.

Herrman's 20ppg@58.5%, 2.3 3pg@48%, 6rebs, 1stl and only 1TO across 12 games highlights his capability at the elite level. Just think, with J-Rich and Crash taking all the attention Herrmann would be close to automatic from three point range. A lethal weapon while adding another dimension to the team.

Herrmann should be playing over any and all of Morrison (too one dimensional - no defensive capabilities), Carroll (low FG% and inconsistent) and Hollins (too young and unpolished). I realise that they all play a variety of different positions but I'm certain the potent lineup of 1.Felton 2.Richardson 3.Wallace 4.Herrmann 5.Okafor will yield the best results for the Cats.

Given the finish Herrmann had to last season I would be extremely disappointed not to see Vincent give him the opportunity to provide a significant contribution through substantial playing time. I would think that Vincent's little experiment in going tall will work against him through the early part of this season and he will eventually be forced to removed the incompetent glut of centers (Hollins/Brezec/Watkins) from the starting lineup.

But hey, I'm an Australian so what do I know.

Posted by: Simon Fox | Oct 16, 2007 5:31:31 AM

I haven't had the good fortune of seeing the Bobcats play this year and not much last year although I would like to. Mayes physical problems are somewhat disappointing and I do hope he approaches rehab with enough desire to overcome it. I think everyone should remember though that both Maye and Felton were two of the key elements(along with Rashad McCants) in bringing UNC a national championship in the second year under coach Roy Williams. Anyone relegating them as no-talents this early in their pro careers in my opinion is full Of sh-t! Maybe what the team needs is a coach who wants to win as much as their college coach did. I think Michael Jordan is a prime example of someone with a desire to win and I think he would agree with my statement about Roy Williams. Be patient and give the team a chance! They deserve that.

Posted by: Larry Deatherage | Oct 16, 2007 6:14:04 PM

Sean May's "physical problems", or, as I call them, "eating", "drinking", and "clubbing" are beyond disappointing at this point. Given that he's shown no desire to overcome the weight issues that have plagued his career thus far, I see no reason that he would come back strong from this EXTREMELY SIGNIFICANT surgery.
The NBA isn't the ACC, or even the whole NCAA. What's your boy McCants done since he got drafted? May's got plenty of talent, but he can't overcome the fact that his knees and back can't support his own body weight. Felton's got plenty of talent, he's just a crappy point guard. If he were another 4 inches tall, he could have a chance of being a top 15 SG in the league. The fact of the matter is, though, that it's NOT early in their careers anymjore to show no growth as players, and these players just can't seem overcome the issues that get in the way of letting their talent show through.
If you'd suggest for a second that any NBA coach doesn't want to win, you're the one who's full of shit. As for Jordan, this was basically his hand-picked choice for coach, and at this point, giving the TEAM a chance isn't the issue. The TEAM has outperformed expectations from day one, but the leash is at its end when it comes to both Felton and May. I hope a light turns on for at least one of them so we don't turn the trick of wasting TWO lottery picks from one year, given that we know MJ will resign his Tar Baby boys into infinity and RobCat Johnson will let him.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Oct 17, 2007 12:33:46 AM

Jason Richardson hasn't even played in a lot of these games (2 maybe?), so let's wait until we actually see the TEAM play together. Felton has never been a great shooter. Do I think he was better than his percentage last year, yes I do. For him to flourish we need to be an up and down team, which means we need Crash and Richardson running with him. If we are going to play half court offense, then Felton is going to fail here. I think the word "crappy" is a little harsh, but is the jury still out on Felton, sure it is! Heck, I love the guy, but he has to turn the corner this season. However, I am willing to give him more than the preseason to do that.

Posted by: Adam | Oct 17, 2007 11:11:27 AM

Sean May is done. He never had any interest in being an NBA player to begin with.

Posted by: PMK | Oct 18, 2007 3:34:15 PM

A little off topic, but does anyone else notice that Okafor doesn't seem to really love playing basketball. Not saying he doesn't play hard, he plays very hard, and has talent. But it just doesn't look to me like it's in his blood like all great players.

Posted by: Dave | Oct 24, 2007 1:19:26 AM