« Stray thoughts on the road to Lotteryville: | Main | 'This isn't going to work' »

April 14, 2008

Johnson takes unusual approach

Bobcats majority owner Bob Johnson showed up at the Observer newsroom Monday, looking for support on a rather bold suggestion:

That Charlotte’s business community hasn’t done enough to ensure the financial success of the local NBA team.

Wow. This isn’t biting the hand that feeds you. This is gnawing on the fingers.

I wasn’t at Johnson’s appearance in the newsroom. I’d been told he wouldn’t address basketball issues, so I thought my presence might be counter-productive. But had I been there, I would have asked the following question:

You know any other business in Charlotte that got a $265 million home office from the taxpayers?

I’m not saying the arena was a bad thing. Quite the opposite. The anti-arena/anti-development folk who’d be fine with Charlotte becoming Mayberry again never got it that the Charlotte Coliseum wasn’t going to work going forward. This was the last/best chance to find a partner to share the cost of operation for valuable infrastructure.

However, I’ve never found Johnson gracious in receiving the deal the NBA negotiated with the city. And he’s never been realistic about the challenge convincing this town – not the politicians, the average folk – that turning out for games is great use of their entertainment dollars.

I know this from personal experience. Bob has berated me more than once for suggesting how tough it will be to overcome the town’s ambivalence toward replacing the Hornets. These people vote with their wallets all the time. You think it’s a coincidence the Bobcats are in the bottom third of the league in attendance?

Bob seems finally to realize he has problems. I just don’t know if he has the humility to understand this isn’t somebody else’s problem. Unless that changes, little else will.

Posted by Observer Sports on April 14, 2008 at 09:58 PM | Permalink

Comments

smells like shinn all over again...

Posted by: gchan | Apr 14, 2008 10:38:21 PM

Bottom third? Try bottom fifth...but hey, RobertCat's more interested in politics and other things going on in DC than anything to do with Charlotte, NC, including that team the NBA so foolishly gave to him.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 14, 2008 11:17:55 PM

Let me get this straight: all blacks have been held back, mistreated not given opportunity and deserve a chance to excel. All this applies to blacks except for Barack Obama...the black guy Bob is working hard to beat down in favor of his sugar mama, Hillary. Explain to me again how the Black Entertainment TV guy doesn't want the black candidate to be president?

Posted by: Rolando Smith | Apr 14, 2008 11:21:52 PM

Fk this guy.
Show you actually care about winning games instead of how many $7.25 beers you sell and put a good product on the court. Then you'll see more people show up despite the fact that they hate everything about you Bob cat Johnson.

Posted by: Ed | Apr 15, 2008 7:13:27 AM

I am a 4 year Club Seat Owner at the Bobcats and am appauled on Mr Johnsons comments. Absentee owner and he decides to poke the business community in the eye with a sharp stick? If I recall correctly he went around BoA's back to secure replacement financing in the Bcats 2nd year. They stopped encouraging their folks from attending the game. Johnson then replaces that debt with new BoA debt. And now he wants them along with the rest of the biz leaders to belly up some more? Does he not realize how much communication goes on in this town amoungst its business elite? Either Mr Johnson is an excessively bold and audacious man or he is surrounded by baffoons that should be counciling him how to communicate and do business in this town. I lean towards the latter.

Mr Johnson doesnt realize that Charlotte is not an easy town to do business in. It has its own unique ways that include giving back to the community without expecting something in return. He doesnt realize that "airing your dirty laundrey" about your losses on a privately held company are viewed as "impolite" not to mention "bush league". Overindulging his heritage with under performing minorities that , at least at the concessions, could barely speak english. One server actually asked me early this season in the Club area if I could tell him "how much change do I owe you?"...ostensibly because he had difficulties counting. This is not Charlotte's idea of diversity. Charlotte carries a proud southern heritage and conducts itself , at least publically, in ways that demonstarte the success of upbringing, faith and community. As a northern transplant of over 25 years, doing business in Charlotte is not like anything in New York, Chicago, LA or Washington. And frankly, we're pretty proud of that.

Then to cap the interview off with him saying that Jordan would likely need to "be paid" to do anything "non b'ball operations related" may be the straw that broke the camels back. If this is even remotely true, how can Mr Johnson have the audacity to expect more from the business community when he can't even get his "$10 million owner to do something that would improve the profit statement without getting paid to do it.

I never expected to say this, but todays interviews now encourages me to not renew my Club Seat contratcs and give Mr Johnson a real feel for what Charlotte means when you get "grinned to death".

Posted by: mike | Apr 15, 2008 11:14:37 AM

Yeah it seems the guy has no business savvy whatsoever. I can't say that I have any idea what it is like trying to manage a fortune as large as his, but regardless of that, I get the feeling I could do a better job.

Posted by: kelz | Apr 15, 2008 12:58:00 PM

This is all a perfect example of the grass not always being greener on the other side. As whacked out of their minds as Shinn and Wooldridge were, they knew how to run a team. I currently can't help but cringe when I see what is taking place out in Seattle. There is yet another scoundrel NBA owner in Clay Bennett and he plans on taking the team to OKC, claiming he made a "good-faith effort". All while the NBA promises a new franchise after the Sonics leave. If the city of Seattle has any sense they will fight this from every angle with every ounce they have.

Posted by: mountaineerdynAsty | Apr 15, 2008 1:32:06 PM

As a season ticket holder, I find Mr. Johnson’s comment about the business community to be false. I can’t speak on his savvy and knowledge. I do know if you CARE about winning and you CARE about the fans the buy tickets to the games and watch on TV you wouldn’t take this kind of approach. If you get the city buzzing about your team then the business community will follow. Do you think this will make anyone in the business community want to help you out? These comments turn people off to this team. You don’t see the Panthers having this problem, they may not win all the time but no one will question Mr. Richardson’s commitment to try to put a WINNING TEAM on the field.

Posted by: William L. | Apr 15, 2008 2:08:45 PM

put a product on the court

Posted by: Kevin | Apr 15, 2008 3:25:34 PM

Bob is scum and should run back to DC. He can take Michael and his piss-boy Whitfield with him. Those three are the biggest joke.

Posted by: Linger | Apr 15, 2008 3:27:22 PM

Linger - It is the BLACK CATS. Bob Johnson, Michael Jordan, Fred Whitfield, Bernie Bickerstaff, Rod Higgins, Sam Vincent, Jared Bartie. If you are not black, you will not make it. Just look at the ratio of people who are fired and hired.

This team and Charlotte do not fit.

Posted by: Richard K. | Apr 15, 2008 3:37:27 PM

Hey Richard brother, proudly add the last to "K's" to your last name!

Posted by: Grand Wizard | Apr 15, 2008 3:46:42 PM

anyone else going to the forum with Bob cat Johnson tomorrow @ 6 before the game? Should be interesting...if he actually shows. Doubt it. They'll probably put Dell Curry up there and let people ask about Davidson basketball for 30 min.

Posted by: Timbo | Apr 15, 2008 7:09:18 PM

Timbo, think Davidson could take the Bobbies?

Posted by: Wally Myers | Apr 15, 2008 7:55:19 PM

I've been a lower-bowl season ticket holder from the Bobcat's inception. I was stunned at what was in today's Observer - the "owner" throwing the city, and therefore the fans, under the bus. He has no sense of accountability. The 1st year atmosphere at the old arena was not suited to this city. Then there was the C-SET failure that required Stern's intervention and was not resolved until 2 weeks ago. Then there was the doubling of ticket prices between the move from the old arena to the new. The "owner" sits in front of me at the games he elects to attend, stays til halftime (maybe), and never claps or seems into the game. Why did he buy this team? Then he has the nerve to say Jordan doesn't promote the team because he would expect to be paid extra? If I told my firm that, I'd be out the door the next day - and not voluntarily. Stern better intervene now - because I'm a loyal fan and I'm pissed off. This guy's modus operandi is to blame somebody else - rather than look in the mirror and see the real problem.

Posted by: jiff65 | Apr 15, 2008 9:44:18 PM

Jordan is trying to convince Johnson to move the team anyway. Jordan never wanted to come to Charlotte in the first place because of the city. Now his next move is to try and relocate them. Someone tell Jordan he sucks as a businessman. GET RID OF HIM BOB!!!!

Posted by: Ron | Apr 15, 2008 9:53:34 PM

Wow. Just watched the Bobs blow a 17 point halftime lead and lose in OT. Rough.

Posted by: Timbo | Apr 15, 2008 10:16:15 PM

Also meant to mention I'm an Obama supporter - and what Johnson has been saying about Obama is very alienating. Johnson should be putting the team first and keeping his political opinions to himself.

Posted by: jiff65 | Apr 15, 2008 10:52:52 PM

Hey, Timbo...good thing Gerald Wallace didn't play, huh? Thank goodness Raymond Felton and our "shooters" lineup are so "good down the stretch."

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 15, 2008 10:53:13 PM

Procton, do you really want to start this again? Get off my jock bro, I'm starting to think you are obsessed with me. I haven't even acknowledged you in this blog, come on dude.
I would like you to show me where at any point I said I liked Raymond Felton at point guard, shooting guard, or any other position on this team. Shut the F up and quit bothering me, they would have lost by 20 in regulation if G-Hurt drug his lazy ass off the bench and tried to play. But if he did that, he would risk getting more sore and that would suck. He has no more motivation than big fat Sean May. I think its hilarious you think Gerald Wallace isolation plays are better than team basketball? Glad to see you and Vincent are on the same page. You are probably one of those douche bags that thinks Lebron James is boring to watch because he passes too much.

Posted by: Timbo | Apr 15, 2008 11:10:45 PM

I loved it when they signed Gerald Wallace before this year, but he's done nothing to impress me this year and I think he's bad for team chemistry. He plays a few games, then gets hurt and the team gets on a roll, then he comes back and kills all of it.
When he has the ball everyone just kind of stands around and watches him because he is a black hole, he is either going to shoot or turn it over.
What would his trade value be right now? Any chance we would trade him this offseason for a center or point guard?

Posted by: HTK | Apr 15, 2008 11:21:10 PM

Charlotte has an NBA team?
Hell, when did this happen?
Whats up with Zo, LJ and Tripucka's perm?

Let the rich man keep showing black women shaking their ass on tv and, hope he continues to make millions.

The NFL draft is right around the corner, time for a real sport.

Posted by: Red | Apr 16, 2008 12:31:19 AM

Mr.Johnson seems as limited in NBA ownership skill as he is in 21st century political acumen. Charlotte deserves better. Hopefully he sells the team to MJ or someone else.

Posted by: Brick | Apr 16, 2008 1:18:31 AM

Yeah, because changing to a DIFFERENT owner who is never at games, doesn't care about the team or the city it's in, doesn't know how to run a team, and expects to be paid for appearances is absolutely the answer, Brick!

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 16, 2008 2:19:22 AM

They really should have awarded the team to me when they had the chance.

Posted by: Larry Bird | Apr 16, 2008 7:33:26 AM

Amazing. Just when I thought things couldn't get worse for this team, Bob has to go and piss off the whole city. It's tough to be an NBA fan in this town.

Posted by: apauldds | Apr 16, 2008 9:06:35 AM

I wouldnt underestimate the agenda here. I have little doubt Jordan built into his ownership contract "right of first refusal" in the event Johnson were to want to sell the team. Jordan has always wanted to own a team outright. With his $60mm endorsement deal just inked and even after the costly divorce, Jordan is back in the financial saddle to structure a buy out. Add to it, his circle of friends, including Tiger Woods have the backing to comfortably buy out Johnson. Despite perhaps the shame of running a losng business deal, Johnson is in his 60's and I doubt he feels he needs this aggravation at this point in his life. Should be interesting, but dont underestimate whats going on in the "smoke filled rooms".

Posted by: mike | Apr 16, 2008 9:19:30 AM

Mike,

Very, very interesting comment...Jordan tip-toes in and then withholds support...even sandbags the drafts to keep the Bobcats mediocre. Then, when BJ - who is worried about hotels, casinos, African-American ventures (that don't include Obama) - gets wore out and fed up, Jordan makes the easy offer. The problem with this scenario: did Jordan also sandbag Washington when he screwed up their team? Even if he buys out Johnson, would be ever make it into the playoffs?

Posted by: Hulio Mendenez | Apr 16, 2008 9:43:00 AM

Hulio...what makes it even more curious is that while all this was happening, Jordan was receieing "passive losses" to his tax filings on the team...thus making it a very unattractive "line item" in a divorce settlement....now that the settlement is complete....well you see where this could be going....I have learned never underestimate what makes a deal "click"...and with this weeks comments from Johnson, I have to believe projected ticket sales will plummet thereby reducing the overall value of the team...

Posted by: Mike | Apr 16, 2008 11:00:39 AM

alright everybody, last game of the season, stop b*tching and support the team. Think positive! Oh and fire Vincent.

Posted by: Bro. D. | Apr 16, 2008 4:03:01 PM

The Charlotte Bobcats staff who live in Charlotte are working hard against the odds. You can not live in another city and pretend to be part of the community. His comments just makes me sad that our City Officials gave away the house to the wrong people. Against the will of the people.

Posted by: kelso | Apr 16, 2008 6:21:20 PM

Though irrelevant, nice win last night in front of a good crowd...I think first game all year they've won when sorry ass Primoz Brezec was on the ticket, haha.
Up 20 again but managed to win this time and looked pretty good beating a playoff team. Another win without their "star" player G-Hurt gerald Wallace. Two surprises: Bob cat Johnson actually showed up for the season ticket holder forum and stuck around for the game, and big fat Sean May wore a tie.
Looking forward to next year, but with zero expectations for the playoffs this time.

Posted by: Timbo | Apr 17, 2008 7:15:30 AM

Procton Michael, why have you slowed down with the chocolate candies and balloons this week? Do you not like me so much now or do you still love the Primos? I keep getting did not play, coach decision. Coach makes fun of the balloons and lipstick pictures you send of you, but i put the picture up in my locker. I don't mind. Will you move to detroit and be my friend?

Posted by: Primos Brezec | Apr 17, 2008 7:35:15 AM

Yeah, Timbo...a super win against a great Philly team that was on a 3-game losing streak and played three of their starters for less than 24 minutes. You think Jason Smith is going to see 27 minutes in Game 1 against the Celtics? You think Louie Williams is going to see 28?

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 17, 2008 10:23:59 AM

Michael Proctologist or whatever you name is. This is Seans momma and you need to straighten out and fly right. All you do is bitch and whine, actin' like some big man on campus. Show some faith and be positive. You see my baby on the end of the bench last night? Didint he look fine in his new suit and all, sittin right there with that poor boy Adam Morrison. Dont he look shameful. Like some ole cat drug him home. Dont they pay that boy. He look like one of them homeless people. Wearin that jacket that dont fit him, pants all sloppy. Layin that peachfuzz on his lip lookin like one of them shameful boys from Sean's daddys movie collection. And oh Lordy that hair. Like to give him a good wash up and put some of Gerry Wallace's corn rows down on his head. What a sin that poor boy is. His momma musta been struck blind when he was a baby to let him grow up lookin like that.

See ole Mr Michael at the game last night in his pretty red shirt down there with Mister Johnson. Well I tell y'all now. I had words with Mr Michael. Hear y'all may have been sendin' him bad waves too. Told him to go back to actin' like he real and not some thug or some rapper or somethin'. Get with the people who buy them tickets I tell him. Tell 'em thank you. Act like your momma and daddy raise ya. Not like some them boys out there, chasin' booty, spendin' all that money actin' like you the only steer in the cow pasture. I tell him that people dont like him no more. Oh yes I did! Made the poor boy cry. And what he do? He listen to ole momma and show up for the game. See there ole bad boy Mr Michael Proctitionist! We have hope!

Finally guess you heard my baby seein' a nutritionist. Well lemme tell ya now. That nutritionist be tellin my baby to eat PLENTY of fruit, lots of fiber; buy yo'self a case of that nasty Fleet stuff and and stick it right up there and USE IT. My baby spendin so much time on the tank his knee startin to hurt him again. So I tell him to stop this nutition stuff. Eat ya 3 meals with 2 tablespoons of cod liver oil and you be runnin' as smooth as one of Mr Michael's Bentleys.

Now just cause the season over dont mean momma not gunna keep an eye on you fools from time to time. My baby takin me and his daddy on vacation. Lay in the sun, drink some of them fine tropical punch drinks, some of that beef jerky. Why? We ginna celebrate our baby gettin close to graduating from Chapel Hill. I know he take the long way home...but God bless him. He do know his way home. So go out there and behave, give yo momma a kiss and wait till you see my baby come this summer, all buff and all. Damn,,,gives momma the quivers.

Posted by: seansmomma | Apr 17, 2008 3:12:37 PM

Let's call this the Hornets hangover. When they showed up 20 years ago...the Carolinas had never even sniffed big time pro sports team. But, come November of 1988, we finally had a team!

Since that time the Carolinas have welcomed the Panthers and Hurricanes...and there's just other stuff to do (i.e. home theaters, iPods) that wasn't there to occupy our time and "get" our money and attention back in the days of Rambis and Muggsy.

Oh yeah...the NBA changed too. It became a league based on a business model of attracting rich, white business professionals with trophy wives to club seats for the purpose of watching tattooed thugs whose name they wouldn’t remember 15-minutes after starting their ride home from the arena.

Leagues with major socio-economic disconnects between fans and players just don’t work. The NBA and the NHL are proving that. For the NBA, see my thoughts above on rich, white dudes paying to watch blacks from inner cities compete. The NHL is dealing the same thing. How can the average American connect with some Croat or Russian whose name he can't even pronounce? Attendance for both of those leagues is in the tank.

We can't relate to a 300-something-pound behemoth on an NFL field all that much...but they're still like us on some level. And we've watched them play for the pseudo-professional squads that are, in essence, sponsored by universities for 3 or 4 years too. We're connected to, and invested in them. Why do you think we watch the NFL draft every year for hours and hours?

Thus, that's the key to NASCAR's success and legacy...fans connecting to those putting on the show. "Heck, I can drive a car! He's just like me...he's trying to get his car right and drive it fast. I do the same thing to my 67 Camaro." However foolish, millions have bought what NASCAR's been selling for decades because its fans think the drivers are just like them. They identify with them.

To bring things back to Bob Johnson's assertion, he's probably right. But, the WASPy bank-based business leaders of Charlotte will never enthusiastically support an operation that trots out tattooed, black ueber-males from some inner-city as they main feature of its product because they don't identify with that lifestyle or culture...and this ain't 1988.

Posted by: Keith | Apr 17, 2008 3:20:24 PM

SILAS!!!SILAS!!!SILAS!!!SILAS!!!SILAS!!!SILAS!!!SILAS!!!SILAS!!!SILAS!!!SILAS!!!SILAS!!!SILAS!!!SILAS!!!SILAS!!!SILAS!!!SILAS!!!SILAS!!!SILAS!!!SILAS!!!SILAS!!!

Posted by: Bobcat Terry | Apr 17, 2008 4:20:48 PM

Ok Procton. I give up. You are obviously a big time bobcats hater who for some unknown reason likes to post in these blogs. You suck dude, get the F out of here and quit bothering people that like to talk about the bobcats and enjoy the fact that they win, not lose. you are a f'ing loser, stop harassing me, sicko.

Posted by: Timbo | Apr 18, 2008 1:55:16 AM

And to answer your questions you f'ing idiot, no, i don't think those players you mentioned will get a second of playing time vs the celtics, considering they are playing the Pistons. Did you seriously not know that, you self proclaimed genius? Procton, give it up you f'ing loser. You don't even know who is in the playoffs. Get off my nuts, the more you try to mess with me the more you look like an asshole. Unlike you I respect everyone that takes the time to post in here. You are a little insecure ass that puts lipstick on and sings chorus songs. Go to sleep procton.

Posted by: Timbo | Apr 18, 2008 2:02:09 AM

Timbo, I would love to give you a cleveland steamer. All i need to do is take a dump all over you. that's what i think of you punk. don't ever disagree with the Great Procton. I've never been wrong, and never will, you ass chump. If you ever challenge me again, I'll just tell Bonnell to shut this blog down and shut you up, its all about me. i'm Michael Procton bitch. shut the hell up.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 18, 2008 2:22:17 AM

Classy Procton. You are the one that is a chump. Why do you get off on the Bobcats losing and talking so much crap? Take your anger somewhere else thanks. You focus more on pissing people off than contributing anything constructive or of worth.

Posted by: Edward | Apr 18, 2008 7:59:10 AM

sesnsmomma is funny.

Posted by: sf | Apr 18, 2008 9:39:40 AM

Hey, Eddie...I don't control whether people get pissed off or not. I'm consistent in my opinions, and never hide behind a pseudonym or post under other people's names to insult, degrade, or slander others. Until I do, I'm MILES ahead of most everybody else on here, and not just because I'm the only one who seems to recognize the fact that Raymond Felton will never be a legit starter in the NBA.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 18, 2008 12:00:53 PM

I find it amazing that you can say that self made billionaire, doesn't have any business savvy.

Posted by: Dummies | Apr 18, 2008 1:06:39 PM

Procton, obviously I am biased due to the fact that I attended Chapel Hill during the Felton, McCants, May and Williams era, but I don't see how you can say that Felton will never be a legit starter in the NBA. I will agree that he hasn't developed nearly the way Paul and Williams have, but he is still better than a 1/3 of the point guards in the league and is only 24 years old. He has had to endure splitting time at the 1 and the 2 and has played for 2 of the worst coaches in the NBA. If the Bobcats get lucky and win the 2nd overall pick, would I take Rose, probably. However, that most likely will not happen so I say draft a legit big man and give Felton another year to run the show and see what happens. He needs to work on his outside shot this offseason and decision making, but w/ a legit big inside and our solid wing players, I think Felton could turn into a solid 15 and 10 player. He won't be an elite PG, but could be in that second tier of PGs.

Posted by: Mason | Apr 18, 2008 1:52:30 PM

That's neat Procton, do you want a cookie? You still have no idea who is in the playoffs and what the matchups are. Got it.
Who do you think will win that big Sixers-Celtics first round matchup you were talking about?

Posted by: Scott | Apr 18, 2008 6:34:34 PM

Mason, I might believe you if Felton had shown ANY sign of improvement whatsoever in the last three years. His shooting has actually gotten worse, his shot selection continues to be poor and he's still careless and out of control with the ball. You should recognize a few of these characteristics from his time at UNC (although how the bad shot selection developed is a mystery if it's not that Williams drilled into him that he was the 4th option and Vincent/Bickerstaff are afraid to. If he suddenly gets better next year, it'll be the first time he's bucked the trend of regression. And as for our "legit big", I think most teams would take one of the 10 or so guys averaging a career double-double.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 18, 2008 7:12:02 PM

Scott, I'm not really a big fan of the NBA as a whole...if we're not in it, I probably don't care about the Eastern playoffs until at least the 2nd round, and likely the Conference Final.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 18, 2008 7:14:26 PM

Mason, it's more bait than substance man.

In the final 25 games (13-12 record, 7-9 on the road where they had been TERRIBLE) when the Bobcats made a commitment to playing Felton at pg:

15.5 pts 8.5 assists 2.9 TOs 2.9 A/T ratio 1.2 stl 3.1 reb 42% FG 31% 3pt 81% FT

He did not have great field shooting numbers, but these are not always as instrumental as made out to be for pgs unless you're a pure fantasy analyst. To be a high level pg you don't have to shoot 50% from the floor (44 is a nice target, but you have to look at the sum of the parts). The biggest stat is the difference in winning, an ultimate judge of a pg, especially a guy like Felton who plays better in the 2nd half and 4th quarter. I can say easily that he has easily helped them win more games than he has helped them lose and that as a pg he helps elevate the team contrary to "genius" rhetoric.

If they decide not to be ridiculous and put him at the 2g beside journeymen, they might know this. I somehow doubt Paul, Nash, Williams, Parker, etc. would have the same impact on their teams from the Shooting guard position that they do at the point guard position. Luckily, they and their teams haven't had to deal 3 years of this type of coaching.

The final 25 games, they decided to see what he was like when playing pg mainly after cutting McInnis whom he had been playing 2g beside (seriously, you guys fault him for that?). They finished 13-12 in those games including a franchise record 5 game win streak, and 7 wins against teams fighting for or in the playoffs (not counting the Philly game who mixed and matched their starters). They were also 7-9 on the road where they had been TERRIBLE all year.

Raymond (17.2 pts 9.8 assists 3.2 a/t w/o Wallace; 13.2 pts 6.8 assists 2.7 a/t w/ him) and the team were also clearly better without Wallace (5-8 in that stretch w/ him 8-4 w/o him) or when he did less, but whaddya gonna do?

Wallace, not Felton, would be best served coming off the bench for the team bringing energy, and adding scoring punch to the 2nd unit. But that contract has screwed up the perception of him by the fans, media, and possibly Gerald himself (the first 2 are definites). There is good chemistry in the first unit and spacing that allows for better ball movement and offensive efficiency. The Bobcats need to let him get back to being himself instead of trying to make him our Lebron/McGrady/Kobe.

Posted by: jperry | Apr 19, 2008 12:15:29 AM

Yes, JP...Felton was AWESOME once the games didn't matter to the Bobcats or the teams who they played. SUPER! Maybe we can get a waiver and have the NBA schedule all our games against teams that have agreed not to win enough games to go to the playoffs. Or maybe we can work out a deal where every team plays their bench players for the majority of the game so we can have teams that we're better than even when they play hard.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 19, 2008 12:42:34 AM

so Procton, you have admitted that you don't know much about the NBA and don't care about it, but you keep posting on here and disparaging the bobcats and any accomplishments they have had.
if you hate the bobcats and the NBA so much, why do you spend so much time posting on here? I don't get it. Who is your team? Just go postg on their site. Thanks.

Posted by: Scott | Apr 19, 2008 3:50:00 AM

Again Procton, CEASE with the DELIBERATE ignorance. As I mentioned, 7 (SEVEN) which is half of the wins came against teams fighting for playoff spots or seeding. You nobody cared argument doesn't work this year, sorry. Nice try though. The ONLY team who showed any semblance of not playing the whole team the whole time was Philly, which was what I said or it would have been 8.

Maybe you can tell the front office to play him at the pg and leave him there and cut out all the off the ball bull. And when you rest him, rest him and leave Carroll in at the 2 guard allowing him to stay warm, bringing Felton back in at the 1 to help close it out.

When Felton was the pg of record we were much better as a TEAM and so was he as an individual. You can try to spin it however you want, but you only PROVE that you are biased beyond a reasonable doubt when you do so.

Posted by: jperry | Apr 19, 2008 9:40:31 AM

PS, Procton you've typically shown yourself to be a smart guy but you're starting to lose it. Take a step back and re-evaluate.

Now, as to teams who didn't care. Exactly which teams on the schedule did that apply to? And again, I've already mentioned Philly, the ONLY one I have seen, so that doesn't need to be repeated. What OTHER teams or games was this evident in?

Posted by: jperry | Apr 19, 2008 9:42:56 AM

HOW ABOUT THEM HORNETS????
MAN AND TO THINK WE COULD BE AT THE NEW DOWNTOWN ARENA WATCHING THE HORNETS PLAY DALLAS RIGHT NOW. A REAL TEAM, BUT INSTEAD WE HAVE TO LISTEN TO THIS BS FROM BJ AND MJ.

COME HOME PLEASE HORNETS.

Posted by: sec 219 | Apr 19, 2008 9:13:21 PM

I agree 219. I watched the hornets tonight, it was like going home again. I saw hugo the hornet and even george shinn. Yeah he shows up and supports his team unlike this clown we have. Watching this blackcat group is like watching the movie dumb ass.

This bob cat team will never be supported here. Is there anyway we can allow them out of their lease and try to attract something else?

Posted by: jason | Apr 19, 2008 10:19:00 PM

Read today that the Bobcats went 9-11 with Gerald Wallace out. At that rate, and with a few extra wins I'm sure they would have picked up from having consistency without him, if the Bobs have traded G-Hurt for J-Rich instead of the draft pick they would have beaten out the Hawks for the 8th seed. Considering how well the Bobs played the Celtics this year I think it would have been a great series.
Thanks G-Hurt for your great contributions towards keeping them out of the playoffs.

Posted by: Timbo | Apr 20, 2008 4:32:14 PM

I'm glad that charlotte has another team to replace the one that shinn took away BUT it's not all bob and MJ. We have to remember that there are other minority owners. Let us not forget Nelly.
One of my proudest moments was being able to see SI pictures of Nelly in LA wearing a Bobcats hat in the Staples Center. Then you turn around and see Nelly at the last Bobcats home game shaking hands and laughing with the other team at one of, if not the only, game he's been to in charlotte this season made me ABSOLUTELY sick to my stomach.
All of the owners need to take a look at themselves and think if they only liked the idea of owning a team or if they really wanted to go through the pains of building a team from scratch.

Posted by: sicktomygut | Apr 20, 2008 10:28:52 PM

Felton is good. Sean's Momma is funny. Both teams played hard.

Posted by: Bro D. | Apr 21, 2008 1:30:31 PM

Why is Sam Vincent still here?

Posted by: Rick | Apr 22, 2008 4:30:15 PM

Oh my god, everytime I check back here there always talk about bobcat bashing, racism, and the procton reality project. People guys like procton just dont get it or just really feeds of his own negativity. Cause I came from Minneapolis, MN (seans mom Im Alan Andersons brother) and after the Lakers moved to LA we had no team in Minnesota then they introduced this team called The Timberwolves and got made fun of for 5 years. Then we got KG in the 1995 draft and opinions changed quickly. This is only the bobcats 4th year best first 3 of any franchise. And being in the east makes it better because you can get in the playoffs with only 36 - 40 wins, and they were as close as can be last year. The team is doing good so just chill and start supporting them before you become bandwagon cheerleaders.

Posted by: T-Dub | Apr 22, 2008 5:13:02 PM

Ok so who plays the most games next season, Wallace, Morrison, or Fat May?

Posted by: Greg Paulus | Apr 22, 2008 8:08:18 PM

We are going to give our main man Sam Vincent the coach of the year award.

Now we are heading out to chase some white tail, see you guys later.

Mike wants to start being paid to screw women to. I don't have enough money could the business leaders of Charlotte help me out?

Posted by: bob and mike | Apr 22, 2008 10:18:31 PM

Who do you think will work more next season, Rick Bonnell or Gerald Wallace??
Both only show up for their job about 60 days out of the year. Not a bad gig if you ask me.

Posted by: Bill | Apr 23, 2008 7:03:27 AM

Ooh, good question Bill, I'm going to give a slight edge to Wallace. Although if MJ drafts someone stupid Slick Rick will definitely be banging out the hatin' articles.

Posted by: bro D. | Apr 23, 2008 1:20:55 PM

NC get out of pro bball. I love pro bball, but it's not played here never has been. This is an amateur market.

I'd fly to NO, LA, Boston, etc if I wanted to see a bball game. Why pay the prices for a ticket here when I could add $100 and see a real bball game.

Posted by: hornetspoets | Apr 23, 2008 5:20:50 PM

HOW ABOUT THOSE HORNETS. To bad we can't ship the kitty cats for the hornets. If the city had went against the tax payers when the hornets were here we would be watching the hornets in the hive. We are stuck with the racists and whore mongers (Blackcat Johnson and Michael Hot Air Jordan).

Go Hornets.

Posted by: Sec 219 | Apr 23, 2008 5:42:39 PM

I'm not sure why as the beat writer for the Bobcats there hasn't been more speculation about Sam Vincent's hot seat. After initially being frustrated that he wasn't fired during his post-game press conference, I've thought about the strategy. With the ill-timed requests of ownership for the corporate community to get involved, the last thing the Bobcats need is bad publicity. If they had fired Sam I Am right away, there could possibly be an extended search, especially if MJ has his eye on a coach currently working for a playoff team. Three scenarios, and one could come to fruition:

1.) "PHILADELPHIA:Larry Brown wants one more stop on his nomadic coaching career. Brown resigned as Philadelphia's executive vice president with the intent to pursue a coaching job at the NBA or college level." With his Carolina connections and history of being the turn-around genius, he might be a good fit (though the most expensive and least favorable of the three).

2.) Sam Mitchell-current coach for the Toronto Raptors who has been on the hot-seat the last few months and finally won last night to prevent a sweep in the first round of the playoffs. As you may remember, Sam was the highly sought after assistant coach for the Bobcats a few seasons ago for a few short moments before accepting his current position with the Raptors.

3.) Avery Johnson-Current coach of the Dallas Mavericks. MJ mentioned his strong desire to find the 'next Avery Johnson' a year ago. Heck, with a heavy payroll (Dirk and Kidd) and no drafts picks, Owner Cuban will be in a tough spot to save face and make any significant changes, so what spot can he move? Coach. If the Mavericks get swept and are out of the playoffs in the 1st round for the second year in a row, Cuban could jump in, fire Avery, over-pay and hire Larry Brown and MJ could get his wish.

My guess is, MJ has told his buddy Vincent they are more likely to sell out all their season ticket holder seats by draft day than Vincent still being the coach on draft day. Once some of these events above clear the air, it's time to make a quick move. The last thing the Bobcats want is to fire Vincent and not attract their first, second or third choices and let the public know about it. Vincent's firing will happen once MJ has the new coach under a handshake agreement.

I'd still be happier if this had taken place right away and Rick Carlisle or Paul Silas was already under contract. But, just like with J-Rich, we may make some good moves in the off season for the second year in a row.

Posted by: GoBobcats | Apr 25, 2008 9:01:46 PM

Somebody wake up rip van winkle Rick Bonnell and tell him Sam Vincent got fired!!!! Does this douche bag not work in the offseason or what? Best job in America Bonnell.

I don't think its any coincidence the Bobs fired Vincent same day as the NFL draft, knowing that no real sports fan gives a fk about NBA on a day like today and it won't get as much attention. Hell even Bonnell may get his fat ass out of bed today and watch some of the draft.

GOOOOOOOO PANTHERS!!!!!!

Posted by: Paul | Apr 26, 2008 10:28:32 AM

Paul, you're a sad, sad person.

GOOOOOOOOO (your team of choice)!!!!!

Posted by: Bro D. | Apr 26, 2008 3:35:46 PM

yeah Paul, you are a stupie dumb dumb

Posted by: Bro G. | Apr 27, 2008 5:05:11 PM

Bob Johnson is use to being given things at no cost. He is the ultimate affirmative action baby, starting with the DC cable system, which he got for virtually nothing. He was essentially a figure head of the system, which was built by a partnering firm based in the Mid-West. He operated in a similar manner relative to BET.

Posted by: Phil Adams | Apr 28, 2008 10:18:07 AM