« Brown wants Snow on staff, but Bobcats might have to get in line | Main | Should Bobcats trade 1st-round pick again? »

May 20, 2008

Augustin might be Brown's guy

Totally a hunch here, but if I were the Charlotte Bobcats picking ninth, knowing Larry Brown will be coaching this team, I’d take a long look at Texas point guard D.J. Augustin.

He strikes me as a Brown point guard – a cerebral, pass-first playmaker who will do as he’s told. And the No.. 1 priority for any Brown point guard is doing precisely what the coach instructs.

Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins was more forthcoming than in the past, in acknowledging this team’s needs – another point guard to complement Raymond Felton and another big man (particularly if you accept that Emeka Okafor is miscast, guarding jump-shooters as a power forward.)

Augustin isn’t a great athlete, and at 5-foot-11 he’s smaller than you might like, but the guy is about as pure a playmaker as you can find in this draft.

One other thing about Higgins’ comments Tuesday; if you see them drafting a shooting guard or small forward next month, figure there’s a trade in the works, because this team is loaded with wings.

Posted by Observer Sports on May 20, 2008 at 10:13 PM | Permalink

Comments

Maybe they will trade the entire team including the owner, rent-a-jordan FOM'S (friends of mike) to New Orleans for our Hornets.

Posted by: BOBJOHNSONISANIGNORANTBLACKMAN | May 20, 2008 10:22:42 PM

fo cheezy my nee-zee. i might be up in jail now but when i get out bob gonna hire me fa show. eye needz a job

Posted by: ronald mexico | May 20, 2008 10:36:25 PM

I'd love a DJ Augustin pick, if he was the 2nd pick following a PF.

Posted by: jperry | May 20, 2008 11:36:42 PM

I'd take a long look at Augustin being abused by Rose in the Tourney. Just sayin'.

Posted by: BroD | May 21, 2008 12:42:49 AM

I'd take a long look at Anthony Randolph taking his team...to a first-round flameout in the SEC tournament and NO postseason appearances whatsoever.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 21, 2008 1:20:17 AM

Oh..."Just sayin'."

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 21, 2008 1:21:19 AM

I don't understand the idea of abandoning Ray at the point. That would have to be the scenario if this organization decides to use the lottery pick on a point guard, because there would be nothing more stupid than using a lottery pick on a backup. Finding a definitive center is the number one priority, in my opinion, so we can switch Emeka to PF where he could be quite deadly. I am not sure, in fact I'm pretty certain, that Kevin Love wouldn't be any more effective at C than Emeka, and would most likely be a downgrade, but I digress. Felton was third in the East in assists last season and seventh in the league. And to those who say he turns the ball over too much, the beloved Deron Williams was second to Steve Nash in most turnovers committed, while J-Kidd and Baron Davis come in at three and four while Felton rounds out the top five and Chris Paul is seventh with just twelve fewer. Felton isn't the shooter that Williams and Paul are, but if Larry Brown works him like previous PG's, then I think Felton could become the best PG in the East. I say grab a few wingmen in the draft and trade away what we've been stockpiling, if anybody would even want what we have.

Posted by: go'cats | May 21, 2008 1:44:18 AM

i hope we get deandre jordan. he might be something close to dwight howard

Posted by: d | May 21, 2008 6:26:22 AM

I agree about Ray. I think with Larry Brown, Felton can take his game to the next level. I'd like to see the pick traded, I don't see us getting a lot of help at 9. But if anything, DO NOT take Robin Lopez, like Rick suggested, at 9.

Posted by: Bobcat Matt | May 21, 2008 8:19:43 AM

It would such a waste to take a PG with the 9th pick. Just because Felton hasn't done as well as Paul and Williams doesn't mean its time to find a replacement. Like go'cats said, Felton was third in the east in assists. Lets see D.J. Augustin do that next year.

The Bobcats need a big man, a guy who can give legitmate help for Emeka on the boards and can provide some extra scoring. We can take a PG with our second round pick, and he can fill the role of a solid backup PG.

Posted by: ND | May 21, 2008 8:24:00 AM

Go'cats, you want Okafor playing PF in a conference where 75% of the PFs are long quick players who prefer to play on the perimeter. You would then pull Okafor away from the basket, where he is comfortable rebounding and blocking shots, to try and guard players much quicker than him.

Unlike Procton, I don't try and belittle other people's opinions, but do you really think Okafor's strengths are guarding the PFs in the Eastern conference? I think the Bobcats are best served by leaving Okafor at center and adding a PF, by either the draft, free agency or trade, that is capable of playing on the perimeter and guarding someone on the perimeter.

Going further, on offense, Paul and Williams have developed so well partially b/c they have a PF who excels in the pick and roll and pick and pop game. Okafor is not great at either one as he doesn't have great length for the roll and his jump shot is streaky at best for the pop. Look at David West and Carlos Boozer and their versatility on offense. We need a PF with that kind of versatility since Okafor is more of a defensive guy with a limited offensive game.

Posted by: Mason | May 21, 2008 9:13:45 AM

A trade is coming. All signs point to it. Whether it involves the #9 pick is yet to be seen.

Posted by: apauldds | May 21, 2008 9:25:21 AM

Here are my 3 scenarios: 1. We trade Wallace and the 9, to the Nuggets for Melo and Denvers second round pick. 2. Trade Portland the 9 so they can grab Love, and we take the 13 and Jarret Jack off their hands and draft one of the PF's (Arthur). If we cant get that done...than I would be more than happy with Augustin @ nine. He will make less mistakes than Raymond. And I think hes more of a playmaker.

Posted by: eleaf14 | May 21, 2008 9:28:20 AM

Oh, and about the lottery: Didn't you love seeing all the stars representing their teams? JZ, D-Wade, Rudy Gay, Larry Bird, and the Bobcats send...Rod Higgins?

Posted by: apauldds | May 21, 2008 9:29:26 AM

I would love the Wallace along with the 9th pick for Melo trade, but wouldn't there be a conflict of interest since Melo is signed to team Jordan?

Posted by: oneaec | May 21, 2008 9:46:09 AM

Mason is all over this one. Until we fix the PF spot, we will have similar problems. Furthermore, a guy with legit pick and pop capabilities would illuminate Felton's abilities as a playmaker. The game where he had 8 assists in the first quarter involved a lot of pick and pop with Dudley at the 4. Getting a legit 4 who could do this consistently would work wonders for this team. I would use the first pick on a PF and the 2nd on a combo or pg for depth, not as a replacement.

Posted by: jperry | May 21, 2008 9:49:02 AM

eleaf....one question.....why would Portland draft Kevin Love? They want a point guard and already have a couple guys like Joel Pryzbilla, Channing Frye.....and oh yeah a couple of young studs in LaMarcus Aldridge and Greg Oden at PF/C.

Posted by: wang | May 21, 2008 10:42:12 AM

I say we could switch Emeka to PF, and I'm not the first, because we have stockpiled these versatile, athletic forwards and Okafor could be a powerful, dominant PF. Rashard Lewis can score, but would anybody think it's best for the Magic when he plays the 4? He gets overpowered time and time again and it creates big mismatches. I just feel as if we need a true PF, with prototypical size and skillset. We can get by with these versatile forwards, but at some point you need size and power. Anthony in Charlotte would be a dream, and it would be just that because I don't see how that would be even close to enough to being him here, G-Force and our first pick? If somehow we could trade away Morrisson, G-Force, and May and get a true PF in return, and somehow land someone like Carmelo, which is all unlikely, this team would instantly become a top 5 team in the East.

Posted by: go'cats | May 21, 2008 11:19:58 AM

The "next level" for Raymond Felton? What does that mean? He finally stops playign like a rookie after three years?

ap, we don't have any stars to send to the lottery, given that Michael Jordan doesn't want to make any appearances without getting paid. He's got things to do, you know?

wang, you're right. The first name to come up in any draft discussion for the Trailblazers is Joel Przybilla. They must ABSOLUTELY view HIM as a cornerstone.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 21, 2008 11:29:03 AM

Darrell Arthur is the best option for the bobbies at the 9 slot.

He's a PF in the David West\ Antonio Mcdyess mold, exactly what we need with our current group. He's athletic enough to guard the quicker PFs such Rashard Lewis too.

I like Augustin, but picking him would really indicate a total lack of direction on the part of management. You have to assume one of the reasons Brown was brought in was to provide focus for Felton; PG's have always been one of his fortes.

Posted by: Declan | May 21, 2008 11:41:56 AM

My name is even more appropriate after this article. Draft another Lottery PG? Seriously?

Did anyone watch Felton at UNC when a real coach limited his shots and had him direct the team? Anyone watching him all 4 years would never think the team needed to draft a "true" pg. The team has played him at 2 guard every year, forcing him to shoot more. I guarantee LB will come in and devote time to creating an O that works for the personnel the bcats have and put players like Felton in position to succeed.

I don't know who they will draft, but it won't be a PG.

I'm very intrigued by the options of either drafting Arthur or a trade. No way we get melo, so what other options are out there?

Definitly think we need an athletic PF that can do the Pick n Pop and guard the bosh's and Lewis's of the world that Okafur is way too slow for. What options do we have out there and was Arthur proficient with the p n p at Kansas?

Posted by: Bonnell = Procton | May 21, 2008 12:29:11 PM

LMAO@ Procton and the Przybilla comment!! You are nuts MP!

But we got HOSED AGAIN in this stupid lottery! Chicago gets #1?? The same Bulls team that was the #2 seed in the East last year..?? Hmmm...ANyway on to our team

I like Augustin but not sure he can match up with some of the other PGs like B Diddy, T.Parker, CP3, B.Roy, etc but he is a HELLUVA a playmaker and unlike Felton, will nail the open jumper..in response to Bro D - D.Rose embarrased a lot of people this season in college hoops, thats nothing be ashamed of...Augustin led Texas to a top ranking and seed a year AFTER losing the national player of the year and NBA ROY (Durant) so that should tell you something...

I would have loved to get D.Rose but I dont want to "settle" for Eric Gordon or Bayless from Arizona...dont know what we can do now..been beating the EXILE MORRISON & MAY train to death so I wont in this post..LOL

We DO HAVE to get a PG & PF though...Lopez is not the answer and neither is Arthur..I say go with Augustin, he can be very similar to Deron Williams..

Posted by: Bobcat Terry | May 21, 2008 12:34:40 PM

Augustin would be an ok pick, better than Robin Lopez, but I'd rather them trade the pick or draft a foreigner with great potential like Batum or Serge Ibaka.

Procton, were you trying to be cute with that "Just sayin'" comment? You know you're my bff.

Posted by: BroD | May 21, 2008 12:41:38 PM

wang...Blake is their starter and there have been rumblings of Jack being on the block the past two seasons. True they have Alrdige and Frye...but they would love to snag the "hometown hero" in Kevin Love.

Posted by: eleaf14 | May 21, 2008 12:45:51 PM

Terry, picking a PG would be the most idiotic move in the team's short history! We take a former lottery pick and send him to the bench in favor of a unproven rookie PG? You would have to start Augustin because there is no way on earth you waste a lottery pick on developing a player, especially when we could trade the pick for a proven veteran. See above for how Felton stacks up against fellow players in his draft class. As B=P said above, Larry Brown will limit his shots, since he shoots career about 39%, although he did shoot an improved 41% this season, his turnovers will go down, which aren't any worse than D-Will and a few worse than CP3. We need a true PF, and if one isn't available at #9, I think we need to see what we can do on the trade avenue. This team isn't far off in a weak Eastern Conference and with Larry Brown's discipline it won't take adding much talent to sneak in as a 7 or 8. But they will need to wheel and deal like last season if they wish to really jump into the thick of things in the East and compete with Clev, Det, Orl and Bos...although I see a Miami Heat type future ahead for them.

Posted by: go'cats | May 21, 2008 12:57:51 PM

Also, Nets and Nuggets are talking about trading for Melo. Alot of times trades involving big name, big contract stars need a third team to facilitate alot of the players and contracts swapping teams. Charlotte, once again, with its lower than most payroll, would be a good fit. Nene would look good in Bobcats Orange.

Posted by: go'cats | May 21, 2008 1:02:28 PM

The Bobcats will either take Kevin Love, who has lost alot weight is working out 6 hours a day and is in great shape, or trade the pick. I say get Love then go after Chris Duhon as Felton's backup. and get a veteran power forward. Sign Emeka....He's a CENTER guys.

Posted by: DanCat | May 21, 2008 1:12:59 PM

The team's main need is another big man; we should only get so lucky, to have Kevin Love still available at #9. He's scoring, he has great shooting range, he rebounds and defends; he has great potential and his development as a player isn't completed yet. If he won't last to #9, Darrell Arthur would be a good pick too. I don't get some people's enthusiasm for Carmelo Anthony. Sure, he's an excellent offensive player, but he's one of the weaker pieces in the Nuggets' defense. Lack of defense, that's why the Nuggets couldn't make it out of the first round of the playoffs in the last few years, despite their offensive prowess. Melo in addition to JRich on the wings ?! I can't imagine Larry Brown accepting this (because of the defensive liability).

Posted by: Sandy | May 21, 2008 1:21:05 PM

Sandy, I agree with your post almost word for word. We need a PF with faceup capabilities and decent offensive SKILLS. Love or Arthur are the picks at 9, if available. I'm not sure that I see LB taking a chance on Anthony Randolph.

Then, in the 2nd round, get a combo guy like Jeremy Pargo, Chalmers, or Sean Singletary for pg depth.

Posted by: jperry | May 21, 2008 1:35:22 PM

gocats...i have to agree with you about Nene, i thought the same thing last season when he was rumored to be available..i also wanted Bonzi Wells when he was a FA too bc he brings versatility and defense toughness to the wing which we are still lacking..dont get wrong, Crash is good for now but hes too inconsistent a scorer to be considered a legit 3 in the east..

we CAN make the playoffs next season with some good moves and unlike Procton i dont want to ship Felton off to the NBDL but i havent seen him improve in his career here..and LB is such a great PG coach?? how did he do in NY with Starbury? true he is a different animal but lets not act like he turns an avg pg into J-Kidd either..lol

but the more i think about it, maybe Arthur wouldnt be a bad choice but that still leaves Oak at the C which is NOT a good look...

Posted by: Bobcat Terry | May 21, 2008 1:36:15 PM

The "Felton's played too much SG" argument holds no water. He's never played more than a third of his minutes there, and he's been MORE productive and efficient when he's done so. Point guards need to run an offense, not just pass the ball...Felton can do the latter, not the former.

BT, I was obviously being sarcastic about Przybilla. That was some other jackass who brought him up in talking about how good they were with big men.

As for who our pick should be, I'd be happy with Arthur, Augustin, Lopez, Bayless, or Love (in that order of preference.) I'd also take Gallinari, the Italian kid, but I think he'll be gone. He's got PG skills at 6-10. There's your versatile big man, and while he's not a great post player, he's good enough at this stage in his career. Definitely bigger, stronger, and more capable down low than, say, Anthony Randolph, who so many people love. Another couple of guys I'd want to work out would be Kosta Koufos and JaVale McGee, whose outside games are also great for their size.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 21, 2008 1:51:16 PM

Surprisingly, I agree with Arthur as #1. I'd be interested at Gallinari, but two questions, does he rebound and/or can he defend Bosh like pf's?

If Koufos was your guy, procton, would you put him at C or PF? Seems like okafur at PF is terrible, but a good to great option at C.

Posted by: Bonnell = Procton | May 21, 2008 3:05:56 PM

Procton--come on man..Kosta Koufos?? He was sooo overrated..and I usually look forward to your view on hoops..what we DONT need is some soft a$$ European big man that is afraid of the post...how good is Dirk when it counts??

We need a real C..not a PF playing C..i dont mean dominant bc thats not happenin but someone to rebound and defend the post and is not afraid to bang bodies and intimidate!

Mason - good points about the pick & roll play w/ G & PF..

btw..I knew u were jokin about the Pryzbilla thing..I laughed when I initially read the comment..a guy that avgs 3pts a game at best!!

Posted by: Bobcat Terry | May 21, 2008 3:23:16 PM

I mean come on fellas lets keep it real, trade the face of our franchise in g-force, i dont know what dummy train yall fell off of, but get back on it we have a great team in the making and now we have a real coach to teach them, give this team deandre jordan 7'0 255, built as scouts are saying as the next dwight howard, he athletic can get out and run, block shots,rebound,and with some more teaching could be a better scorer, get him at number nine a pg in the second and see if we can get jamison in a carolina bobcats uniform and playoofs here we come. But seriously fellas get off the trading gerald thing it isnt gonna happen, why do some of you wanna be gm's think we traded for jrich to help ray and gerald not to trade tthem after one year.

Posted by: truthbtold | May 21, 2008 3:53:35 PM

What is with the massive obsession with Antawn Jamison around here? Everyone here hates undersized 4's and then go harping on Jamison, the prototypical undersized 4. Gallinari looks like Dunleavy except even slower, yes, add that to the likes of Carroll, Morrison, and Dudley, please.

Posted by: BroD | May 21, 2008 4:03:08 PM

Go'Cats and BroD, you just have to look at the conference and the match-up problems we would have if Okafor would play PF. He is not good enough on offense to exploit the smaller PFs in the East yet he would get killed out on the perimter trying to guard those guys, not too mention tire out.

Though Sheed is a bit of a nut case, look at what he gives the Pistons w/ his length and post up game on the inside and then his ability to step out and hit 3's. Run through the list of PFs in the East and you will see that most of them can play on the outside.

I'm not saying this is definately the case, but the only team off the top of my head that plays 2 big slow guys on the inside is the Knicks and look at how bad they were. The NBA is moving into a quicker up-tempo game and I just think you need a PF with lots of versatility, espicially if your Center has none on the offensive end.

Posted by: Mason | May 21, 2008 4:28:44 PM

Kevin Love and Lopez are defensive liabilities. I say trade the pick for an established veteren.

Posted by: Token | May 21, 2008 4:31:34 PM

Mason, I agree about your assessment on the current game and I never said that I'd like to see Emeka at the 4. I just think that Jamison is going to make a slide in ability pretty soon here so he'd have to come with a hefty hometown discount for me to be happy. We don't necessarily need a 4 that shoots 3's, just one that can defend those that do. Only the Pistons have a 4 that is a perimeter threat of the teams remaining. (Odom is questionable).

Posted by: BroD | May 21, 2008 5:44:51 PM

Gallinari is good at getting in the passing lanes, and matches up well with big SF/PF types. He's also a good rebounder for his size.

I didn't say I wanted him, but I do think Koufous is worth at least a close look based on his skill set at his size. He's a good shooter for rh's beloved pick and pop, and I think we could be fine with he and Emeka as our starting frontcourt, or with Koufous as the ultimate post player in the event we let Emeka go.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 21, 2008 7:06:58 PM

The idea that the PF is just a defensive need is one that is picking up steam and incorrect. If that were the case, then Hollins would need to get more of a look with his length and ability to move laterally. The defensive part of the equation is relevant, but so is the ability to pick and pop and shoot a face up jumper on the offensive end in the halfcourt. No, this does not necessarily mean a 3, but a midrange jumper with 17 ft range or so is desirable as it helps spread the floor and exploit double teams or help defense on penetration.

Detroit has multiple bigs who do this. The Celtics have Garnett. The Lakers have Odom. And the Spurs have Duncan who can do this to an extent.

Go back to the previous round and you have Utah with Boozer and/or Okur. You have New Orleans with West. You have Orlando with Hedo or Rashad Lewis. And Cleveland's offense sucks outside of Lebron with poor spacing being a large part of the reason. They brought in Joe Smith to help with this role, while Big Z steps out as a 5.

We need SHOOTING on the offensive end in the halfcourt as well as someone to defend the 4. If we are going to have Richardson as the lone shooter on the floor and Wallace at the 3, we need a 4 who can step out and spread the floor, so that Wallace and Felton can penetrate and so that Okafor has more room to operate one on one in the post. It's been a fundamental issue with the Bobcats offense that most Bobcats fans have continually failed to see as they think in terms of individual players, as opposed to offensive units.

Posted by: jperry | May 22, 2008 1:45:47 AM

You guys forgetting about KG at Boston, he lives on the perimeter. Though he doesn't shoot many 3's, his offensive game revolves around his 15-17 foot jump shot and then some post up moves. Also, Tim Duncan plays a face up game with that nifty 12-15 foot bank shot. I am not saying you have to have a big who drills 3's, but you need someone w/ a face up game, which all of the remaining teams have.

Posted by: Mason | May 22, 2008 8:59:42 AM

Procton's love affair with Eastern European bigmen knows no bounds. I heard Koufos was going to play in Greece anyway.

Mason, obviously you know that at least one player has to be an inside threat or else the shooters get no looks because the D never doubles the inside guy. I love the European style of bball too but it's not set in stone as the best. Ask D'antoni how deep into the playoffs jumpshooting 4s and 5s took him.

Posted by: BroD | May 22, 2008 10:14:06 AM

JOE ALEXANDER - JOE ALEXANDER
from West Virginia.

That's our guy with the 9th Pick. He is the tough, athletic PF with descent defensive skills and a great mid-range jump shot. He can even hit the ocasional three and he has very good moves down the post. He is 6'8", 230lbs; a Rashard Lewis, David West, Lamar Odom or David Lee kind of guy. And he shoots 81% from th free throw line.

And the best thing are his stats, he has gotten better every year, and last year his numbers were:

17 ppg
7 rpg
3 apg
2 bpg
46% FG
81% FT (Very Important, a big guy that cang o to the line and be reliable)
27% 3P

This guy is what we need right now. He has great skills, dinamic, excellent discipline and he is a fierce worker in the gym. With Felton, J-Rich, Wallace, Alexander, Okafor and our new coach LB this team will be a 4-6 seed in the next playoffs. The bench can be Carroll, Dudley, Nzar and trade Morrison and/or May for a back up PG or draft one in the 2nd round. Also Carlos Arroyo is a free agent and he is a great playmaker that will fit well with this up-tempo Bobcats and he played for Brown before. He might come cheap too.

Posted by: Rob C | May 22, 2008 10:58:57 AM

JOE ALEXANDER ......... that's the guy. He is the next best thing at the PF after Beasley. Alexander is the best comparisson to Beasley. He is not as great as Beasly is, but his skills and his attitude, plus his stats make him the next best thing.

JOE ALEXANDER from West Virginia.

That's our best choice at the 9th Pick.

Posted by: Rob C | May 22, 2008 11:05:01 AM

BroD, what the heck is European about Kevin Garnett (Boston), David West (NO), Tim Duncan (San An), Rasheed Wallace (Det.), Antonio McDyess (Det.), Lamar Odom (LAL), Carlos Boozer (Utah), Rashad Lewis (Orl.), Brandon Bass (Dal.), Chris Bosh (Tor.), Amare Stoudemire (Phx.), Antawn Jamison (Wash.), Josh Smith (ATL), Thad Young (Philly), etc., etc?

I know they were all PFs or frontcourt players in the playoffs this year who are not big bulky players like Mek. He is a modern center on offense AND defense. Of course, you need inside scoring, but just as importantly you need perimeter scoring to space the floor for the inside scoring. Again, this idea that a frontcourt guy who can shoot from the floor as being a "European" notion is an idea Bobcats folks need to get away from. It's not some junk offense or flavor of the month. It is the reality of the NEW, no illegal defense, legal zone NBA.

You have to have shooters on the floor. If you want your drivers, and post players to be successful in the lane, you need floor spacers who limit the effectiveness of the help defense on them. At some point, Charlotte, its front office, its writers, and its FANS have to catch on to this. It's not a new phenomenon.

Posted by: jperry | May 22, 2008 1:48:27 PM