« Win No. 1? That's only half the story | Main | Augustin might be Brown's guy »

May 20, 2008

Brown wants Snow on staff, but Bobcats might have to get in line

Bobcats coach Larry Brown wants Cleveland Cavaliers point guard Eric Snow on his staff, once Snow’s injury retirement becomes official.

But there’s a complication that would be very nice for Snow; an informed source says the Chicago Bulls want to interview him to be their head coach.

Bulls general manager John Paxson said he planned to spread a wide net in filling this job, and hiring Snow with no previous coaching experience would be just that. However, it demonstrates what a natural Snow would be as a coach.

Snow has a long relationship with Brown from his time as a Philadelphia 76er, and there’s no doubt Brown would like Snow on his staff. Snow’s family is in Atlanta, so moving to Charlotte would get him closer to home. Although an opening on the Hawks’ staff could complicate things.

Injured much of this season, Snow has to resolve his contract situation with the Cavaliers. He is owed about $7.3 million next season, though he appears physically done because of injuries. An injury retirement makes sense, unless the Cavs want to keep him on their roster next season to have an expiring contract to trade.

Posted by Observer Sports on May 20, 2008 at 06:12 PM | Permalink

Comments

I can see Snow being pretty helpful by being another coach who could help Felton out. Snow had a long, solid career and played in some big games.

Posted by: ND | May 21, 2008 8:29:00 AM

Haven't we already kept one coach on the staff for a couple years (Phil "Sauce" Ford) specifically for the purpose of "helping Felton out?" Felton has gotten worse every year he's been in the league. It's time to end that experiment...he and Snacktime May are not selling tickets like RobertCat Johnson wanted him to.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 21, 2008 11:29:34 AM

Who you callin' "Snacktime" Mr Michael Proctolover? Comin from a man who think a colonoscopy twice a year be just what the Doctor ordered aint no one to be spoutin' off. If that old white man Mr Brown wanna hire the Snowman. Let him. He da boss. But callin my baby "Snacktime" goin a bit too far now.

Now I admit, my baby been rollin' round in the gravey bowl a few too many times. But he all cleaned up now. He down to 3 meals in the mornin' and one at night 'fore he go to sleep. Thats all. He takin that cod liver oil treatment every day and he totally flushed out. So lighten up there Mr Michael Twinkletoes and give my baby room to breath.

Now while we on the subject, ole grizzly Mr Johnson not be reurnin' my calls. He say in the town meetin' that we all wait till May and he be tellin us about the new ticket plan. Well Lordy, it damn near June now. Whats takin' him so long? Guess he was bankin' on gettin' a top draft pick then he try to gag us all with them high ticket prices and all. Well guess what Mister Johnson? Number 9 don't buy you no ticket to the church social do it? So whats ya goin' to do now Mister Johnson? Blame ole David Stern for not supportin' you in the Lottery drawin'? I swear, that ole bird is wearin' on old momma. I tell ya!

Finally, I tell ya all what. I been havin some of the boys over for supper at the house now that they not playin ball and all. Need to eat I tell them. And ole momma feelin' bit tuckered out listenin' to them talk about things and stuff. Now I tell ya. They all fine boys. Young Mr Adam, he worry me a bit with that alzheimers disease and all. I swear that boy dont know where his clothes be from one minute to the next. One day he dressin up in shorts and a tee shirt like he goin to the gym...and he show up to mommas for dinner. Then the next day, he dress up in clothes from the homeless shelter and he goin to the gym. I swear we goin' to have to do some work on that boy. But I hear them boys and I think they right. That ole white man Mr Brown, he goin to be good for the team. But they be worryin' about what goin' to happen if they dont get more fans in the Cat House. So heres what I tell them. Tell all yo firends and gangsta's and hoodlums, cancel yo season tickets. Every last one of them. Then when ole Mister Johnson see that nobody be buyin the tickets, then he goin to have to drop the price and everybody go out and buy single game tickets for their whole family. That gunna take the ole starch out of ole Mister Johnson's shorts. Maybe then he listen and remember that Charlotte aint no Washington DC. We real folk here that have to make a livin'.

Momma tell y'all to behave, take yo momma to Speed Street this week and let her listen to that fine little girl Mrs Kelly Pickle sang. Lordy does she have a voice. But mostly, just do somethin fine for yo momma and be grateful she aint no old cranky, blame it on someone else, Mister Johnson.

Posted by: seansmomma | May 21, 2008 3:28:45 PM

Sorry, momma...I thought that was his personal preferred nom de plume.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 21, 2008 9:12:26 PM

Felton has not gotten worse every year in the league. He is gotten worse at one thing, 3 pt shooting. Since that is what he has regressed in, that is now your stat of choice naturally. Carry on.

Posted by: jperry | May 22, 2008 1:59:31 AM

Felton gotten worse?

05-06: 11.9ppg, 5.6apg, 2,28tpg
06-07: 14.0ppg, 7.0apg, 2.95tpg
07-08: 14.4ppg, 7.4apg, 2.70tpg

I threw in the turnovers since so many of you are in love with that stat. Also, his FG% has gone up every year and his 3PG% is the only thing to have dropped.

But yeah, the guy has definitely dropped off.

Look, Chris Paul and Deron Williams are better PG's, but thats why they were drafted ahead of him. If anyone can find a legitmate replacement that is actually attainable please let me know.

Posted by: ND | May 22, 2008 7:56:08 AM

Of course his rate stats have gone up...his minutes have gone up every year to the point he now has the PT of an elite point guard, like all the Tar Heel fans think he is.

MPGs: 30.1
36.3
37.6

So let's look at those stats by rate. These are over 48 minutes:

05-06: 18.9 ppg, 9.0 apg, 5.3 rpg, 2.0 spg, 3.6 tpg
06-07: 18.5 ppg, 9.2 apg, 4.5 rpg, 2.0 spg, 3.9 tpg
07-08: 18.4 ppg, 9.5 apg, 3.9 rpg, 1.6 spg, 3.5 tpg

I'm sorry if I'm not falling all over myself because of a half-assist's worth of improvement while he shoots more shots at a lower rate than most anybody else on the team (Earl Boykins was the first player to shoot worse on the FGA list, and he was on the street.) The very best thing you can say about those stats is that he's the same, and, last I checked, you're supposed to improve in your first three years in the league. But he's still taking the same terrible shots, making the same bad decisions, and committing the same dumb turnovers trying to impress the tards sipping on grape juice in the powder blue sweater vests.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 22, 2008 10:25:40 AM

Procton, you really need to get over your anti-UNC obsession.

I guess Felton is responsible for 2 of the other lottery picks being MIA this year too, right? I love how it's OK for Okafor to be a solid player at PICK #2 for you after FOUR years, but Felton at PICK #5 is "garbage" for not being one of the elite pgs in the league after 3 years with inconsistent coaching at best at a position where this cannot occur. At least in Okafor's case, he's had consistent coaching until the 2nd half of this year (something you and Rick quickly harped over as soon as it happened over 5-10 games compared to multiple YEARS in Felton's case).

If you held Emeka to similar standards to those that you held Felton, you would be ready to dump him, b/c he is not THE go to guy that one would hope for out of a #2 pick. Ultimately neither have benefitted as much as they could have from player development if they had had stronger coaching. However, you only seem eager to throw one under the bus.

Posted by: jperry | May 22, 2008 1:34:21 PM

I think Felton could have made more improvement this year had Sam Vincent not been the coach. Since he isn't a very good shooter why was he playing shooting guard in the first place?

Now if Larry Brown can't get Felton to where he should be then its time we found a new PG but its too soon to be giving Felton the axe.

Posted by: ND | May 22, 2008 3:08:47 PM

Solid player? Emeka is an All-Star caliber player. He is one of about 10 players in the league averaging a career double-double, and is one of the best defensive big men in the league.

ND, Felton was playing SG because he can't facilitate an offense or make his teammates better to save his life. Further, with the ball out of his hands, he can't pull the trigger on those terrible shots he jacks up so regularly.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 22, 2008 3:53:36 PM