« Brown not around for this beauty | Main | Rule will complicate any Okafor trade »

July 21, 2008

What next for Okafor?

So now what?

A source with knowledge of the negotiations says Emeka Okafor is ready to move on, rather than accept what the Charlotte Bobcats have offered long-term for his services.

The Bobcats can hold on to him for next season, but perhaps the best way to preserve value is to arrange a sign-and-trade. The Bobcats aren’t saying what they’d consider but here are five ideas that might be worth considering now or later:

MIAMI: Does Shawn Marion float your boat? He appears to be available, with a single, $17.8 million season left on his contract. Swapping Okafor (plus another contract) for Marion would make the Bobcats smaller, but more athletic.

CLEVELAND: Remember when the Bobcats signed Anderson Varejao to that offer sheet last season? Predictably the Cavaliers matched it in an instant. But now Varejao’s agent, Dan Fegan, is interested in moving his client to a team that would prioritize re-signing Varejao.
    The Bobcats need an athletic, energetic big man, but here’s the rub: Under league rules, the Bobcats couldn’t trade for Varejao until a year has passed from the time of the offer sheet. That means after Dec. 5. It’s possible the Bobcats could wait that long to resolve the Okafor issue, but that’s a long time to sit in limbo with an unhappy star.

GOLDEN STATE: In case you haven’t noticed, the Warriors have some interesting questions regarding their big men. Andris Biedrins is another of those restricted free agents, and Al Harrington ($9.2 million this season, $10 million next season) is very available.

CHICAGO: I’m not so sure that Okafor’s performances against the Bulls would make that team’s management swoon. However, this is a team with a lot of moving parts, a lot of disenchanted employees and cause to think they’d be open to a deal.
    Luol Deng, another restricted from the class of 2004, would help any team. Would Deng, plus maybe one of three forwards (Joakim Noah, Tyrus Thomas or Andres Nocioni?) make sense as the basis for a deal?

DALLAS: I don’t have any ideal match here, but have you ever heard of a sign-and-trade scenario that didn’t involve Mark Cuban?

Posted by Observer staff on July 21, 2008 at 11:37 PM | Permalink

Comments

Okafor is a greedy SOB. He thinks he's much better than he is. It if wasn't for his height he would be an engineer or something...he isn't athletic at all. I would do Deng and Noah in a heartbeat.

Posted by: Okajoke | Jul 22, 2008 12:45:49 AM

Okafor is greedy. We can get someone better than him. He doesnt play with any passion or heart. And he isnt even that good. I would love getting someone with a passion and athleticism that can make this team better. While Ajinca is still learning, we are one big man away form being really good.

Posted by: Bobcatsfan89 | Jul 22, 2008 1:56:47 AM

If we don't get a halfway decent big out of a sign and trade with Okafor, then we get screwed. The only players out of the ones that Bonnell mentions that qualify as decent bigs are Andris Biedrens and Marion. Biedrens is not nearly the player that Okafor is, but with another player and/or picks added, it could be a worthwhile trade. Marion is intriguing mainly because of salary cap ramifications for next season. And while he is a better player than Okafor, he doesn't come close to providing the defensive presence down low that this team will need.

If Okafor is really set on going, I don't blame him, but an ownership and management group that has done all the right things to market the 'Cats, except one. WIN. And we won't be doing that anytime soon if we can't return something close to equal value for 'Mek.

Posted by: BustaCat | Jul 22, 2008 2:22:22 AM

Oh, and by the way, the STUPIDEST thing we could do is trade for Varejao?! WTF! How is this even an option ANYONE would ever consider! Mohammed is better than Varejao! I would resign McInnis and play him at PF before I traded Emeka Okafor for Anderson Varejao.

Posted by: BustaCat | Jul 22, 2008 2:27:36 AM

And Tommy Jones' comment above once more confirms a lot of people's opinions of Charlotte. The fact that it gets posted and remains posted on the site of a so called "reputable newspaper" just astounds me.

Posted by: Rustyman | Jul 22, 2008 5:52:52 AM

GOOD RIDDANCE. This guy is a joke. He'll always be a role player, never dominant, wannabe center, weak at defending any player outside 2 feet around the rim, be an offensive liability with no post moves that leads the league in having his shot blocked, and he's due to get injured.
Sorry Choke-afor, you lost me last year when you and your agent said you wanted 'Dwight Howard money'. I'm sorry but a guy that wants to get paid like that should at least have the potential to one day make an all-star team, and he NEVER will. You don't deserve anywhere near that. Go on over to Memphis or the Clippers, never to be heard from again.

Posted by: black bush | Jul 22, 2008 7:26:20 AM

black bush, the Clippers didn't want him. Nobody wants him, including us apparantly. Does anyone know what LB's track record is in sign and trade deals? And Rustyman, the racist comment is still posted because Mike Persinger isn't awake yet.

Posted by: apauldds | Jul 22, 2008 7:45:32 AM

I like Okafor, he is a solid defender who can also give you about 12 - 14 pts a game but I certainly can blame the man for wanting to leave the Bobcats.

Posted by: matt | Jul 22, 2008 7:46:40 AM

Gentlemen,

Please relax. The Bobcats' amazing and legendary director of operations, Michael Jordan, oversees and directs all player personnel issues, draft choices and trades. Having Michael as our major player assessment agent is our ace in the hole. With his unique insights into player strengths and future contributions, it is abundantly clear that the Bobcats are on the fast track to an NBA championship. Michael is a legend...perhaps the greatest athlete in U.S. sports history! He is a winner and he directs and manages our trades. How can we go wrong? There is no question that shrewd move to trade into that additional first round draft pick this year will pay dividends for this promising team for years and years. Now, I feel comfortable with MJ managing the Okafor situation. Mr. Jordan dissects and analyzes talent like an accountant crunches numbers. I suspect he is in the nerve center/war room of Time Warner Arena pouring over stats, videos and working the phones, coming up with options that will lead the Bobcats to the NBA CHAMPIONSHIP! We should all be in awe and certainly very proud to have this fabulous former basketball superstar working overtime to ensure that the CHARLOTTE BOBCATS will be hoisting the championship trophy at TRADE AND TRYON! He is the perfect role model for our children, as well as the prototype NBA executive. Wouldn't any NBA TEAM drool at the prospect of having this hoops hall of famer directing their player personnel? Mike, THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO TO HELP PUT BOBCATS IN THE WINNER'S CIRCLE AND TO SEND THE BOBCATS POPULARITY THROUGH THE ROOF!

Posted by: Alex Moore | Jul 22, 2008 8:08:30 AM

Trade Okafor to CHI for Deng and Noah, that makes sense to me. Deng will be a starter right away, while Noah will get a lot of minutes (he needs out of that stacked Bulls team anyway). Okafor will never be anything in the NBA, he just doesn't have the game to be dominant.

Posted by: whitemiket | Jul 22, 2008 8:33:33 AM

We should look into packaging Wallace and Okafor. I think with the 2 of them on the together...we should be able to get a big and a backup 3. Guys who might then be available: Boozer, Stoudamire, Wilcox, or Al Jefferson. But Okafor alone has as much trade legs as Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump.

Of Ricks scenarios I say Marion or Biedrins...but I would want a Bellinini or Chalmers thrown in to sweeten the pot.

And Alex Moore...time for some fresh material holmes.

Posted by: eleaf14 | Jul 22, 2008 8:44:54 AM

Neither Emeka Okafor have ever used a phrase remotely close to "I want Dwight Howard money." If they have, please show me a reference to it. Okafor is an All-Star right now on a team that doesn't suck with a decent point guard. I'm intrigued by your take, too, Matt, that Okafor is a 12-14 PPG player. Interestingly, he's never scored lower than 13 PPG, and he was up at 15 as a rookie with a poor post game prior to Ray Ray's showing up and stealing everybody else's shots. Emeka's FGAs keep going down as his FG% goes up...doesn't make sense to me.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 22, 2008 8:45:27 AM

Honestly, I know big men have more value around the league than wing players, but would Chicago really accept Okafor for Deng and Noah? I seriously doubt it however I would take that trade in a heartbeat and would then start Deng alongside Richardson. I would try and move Wallace for another big.

Posted by: Mason | Jul 22, 2008 8:52:01 AM

Procton, per my post yesterday, here is a direct quote from a post of yours about Augustin scoring at the rim but that he has not done it against real NBA PFs and Cs. You came back with the following, so like I said, how is it that Augustin is playing against real NBA PFs and Cs where as Randolph is playing against hacks? How is it that you know more than all of the GMs and scouts who are now drooling over Randolph? How is it that they all believe Randolph will play PF and SF yet you claim he couldn't help our team? Do you know who most of the teams in the East play at PF? Do you just like ot argue to hear yourself talk? Do you flip a coin in order to see which side of a debate you want to take? How is it that you also mention quality frontcour and include Julian Wright, who is smaller than Randolph, but don't consider Randolph a frontcourt player?

"Real NBA Cs and PFs?" I'm sorry, but he put up 15 points on a very low shot total (9 shots) again, and he did it against a quality frontcourt that included Hilton Armstrong and Julian Wright, who both have significant NBA experience.

Posted by: Mason | Jul 22, 2008 9:00:04 AM

OK, fine. I didn't substantiate that point. Augustin had a good game against Armstrong and Wright, both of whom indeed have NBA experience. Randolph's two great games were against Nathan Jawai and Desmon Farmer of the Raptors (neither has ever played an NBA game) and Mareese Speights and Jason Smith of the 76ers. Again, Randolph will get DESTROYED if he tries to play PF. Julian Wright is a frontcourt player because he has a post game. As you described, Randolph can drive. Unfortunately, he can't post up, can't rebound, can't defend in the post. BIG WING. Further, the difference between a big, athletic player being able to take over a summer league game and an undersized point guard being able to do the same is HUGE. Randolph can outplay summer league guys based on his size advantage and athletic ability. Augustin is STILL massively outsized, summer league or regular season. His ability to find the rim, draw contact, and still put up a good shot translates much better than Randolph being able to break down Nathan Jawai.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 22, 2008 9:33:13 AM

Oh, and before you tell me about how Jason Smith has NBA experience: 76 G, 1107 MP. Armstrong+Wright: 178 G, 2012 MP.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 22, 2008 9:35:22 AM

Procton, why are you challenging my 12-14 pt reference. For a career, Okafor has an average of 14pts/game

Posted by: matt | Jul 22, 2008 10:03:38 AM

Procton, how many more points do you think Mek would score with Augustin's 2APG?

Posted by: apauldds | Jul 22, 2008 10:05:01 AM

Okafor is a solid role player. However, dude is not worth over 12 million a year. I would love to see the Bobcats get Deng and Thomas for Okafor. Emeka is a solid NBA PF, but his time here in Charlotte has run its course.

I really hope this Verajo nonsense comes to a hault. I do not want that guy on this team. I would rather pay Okafor 14 million a year than sign Anderson.

Posted by: Token | Jul 22, 2008 10:10:34 AM

Because he's never scored fewer than 13.1. 12 is significantly lower than 13.1.

And ap, based on WATCHING the games (which I doubt you did), I assume he'll get several more given he's a little better of a finisher than James Mays and Kyle Hines.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 22, 2008 10:11:25 AM

This team doesn't need another wing player. Unless you are going to trade a guy like Wallace and Morrison or Carroll. So Marion is out of the question. There is no one out there that is worth trading Okafor. Now this hurts because bottom line he seems to be tired of dealing with this front office. Once Okafor leaves how many players are going to want to come here. This move is going to cost this organization wins. Not just this season but for the next 2,3,4 seasons if not more. We better hope Augustin is the 2nd coming of Jason Kidd or Chris Paul because Brook Lopez was there. If we would have drafted Lopez, Okafor signs back and this team is a playoff team. Get ready to see how bad it can get here. You think the TWC Arena has been empty before, wait until we start getting blown out game after game once Okafor leaves. The NBA might just send us to the D-League.

Posted by: knewt | Jul 22, 2008 10:13:14 AM

Proc, he give you scoring somewhere in the range of 12-14 points a game, his lowest average is 13.1, his career average is 14.3, there is nothing misleading or innacurate about my statement. And no 12pts and 13pts is different, but not signifigant

Posted by: matt | Jul 22, 2008 10:15:43 AM

Which is why we need to get something for him now.

Posted by: apauldds | Jul 22, 2008 10:18:38 AM

No...it discredits him as a "12 PPG scorer" when he's never been that low in his entire career.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 22, 2008 10:28:40 AM

you are knitpicking here statboy, 12-14pts a game falls within the range for his lowest scoring season and scoring for last season

Posted by: matt | Jul 22, 2008 10:31:30 AM

as well as his career scoring

Posted by: matt | Jul 22, 2008 10:32:47 AM

Why don't we just trade Okafor for the 2009 first round draft pick we squandered picking Ajinca (or whatever)? This seems to be the strategy. Ignore talent, take a step back, bitch about not selling tickets. Say "trust me" to the fans and then blow it time and time again...

Posted by: Rodney Wilcox | Jul 22, 2008 10:46:00 AM

No, it doesn't. More accurate would be, say, 13-15. But again, don't let FACTS get in the way of your argument.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 22, 2008 10:57:09 AM

I would really like for us to re-sign Okafor, but if the rumors are true, then the best scenarios are (In my Opinion):

W/Golden State: (1st Best Choice)
Sign and trade Okafor for Andis Biendris and Al Harrington. (See Note Below*)

W/Chicago: (2nd Best Choice)
Sign and trade Okafor for Luol Deng and Joakim Noah. We can add Carroll in the deal and try to get Ben Gordon. (See Note Below*)

W/Miami: (Don't really like it)
Sign and trade Okafor for Shawn Marions and Udonis Haslem (and maybe Chalmers). (See Note Below*)

Note*: We can also seriously consider adding Hollins, May or Morrison in any deal.

Posted by: RobC | Jul 22, 2008 11:00:16 AM

This is a very dynamic situation that will change daily over the next several weeks. The biggest question that I don't see addressed in the article is; What did the Cats offer him? If it was $8M/season then I'd be pissed if I were him too. Then again, this could just be a negotiation strategy by the Cats. Its dangerous, but might save the franchise some money for other FAs in the long run. Mek's value is obviously down. He gambled and lost. If he is as smart as I think he is then he will soon come to accept his current value and sign with the Cats at less than $12M. I'm guessing around $10.5M-11M.

Posted by: FuriousStyles | Jul 22, 2008 11:01:45 AM

my statement was factual and completely accurate, it got in the way of nothing.

Posted by: matt | Jul 22, 2008 11:04:31 AM

okafor for deng and a F? we are not talking about d.wade here bro. maybe straight up for deng but that is all you should expect. and okafor for marion??? lol! there is a reason okafor is drafted 5 rounds behind marion in fantasy drafts every year. he's half the player marion is. if charlotte wants marion they'd likely have to offer felton, okafor plus a 1st round pick.

Posted by: tony | Jul 22, 2008 11:12:19 AM

Matt,

Numbers are absolute. Therefore, you are wrong. There's been no season that Okafor has averaged 12 points. Or 12.9 points for that matter. Admit your statistical error and move on.

E. Okafor PPG average (by year):

04-05 15.1
05-06 13.2
06-07 14.4
07-08 13.8

Career average - 14.1

Posted by: The Doctor | Jul 22, 2008 11:18:21 AM

a career average of 14pts falls in the range of 12-14pts a game. End of Story

Posted by: matt | Jul 22, 2008 11:20:49 AM

If we sign and trade Okafor for any of the scenrios given then we need to add any of our guys that are 6'9" or shorter. Since they all deal with us getting another guy that is a swing player then we need to trade okafor and two swing players. Otherwise none of these trades make the Bobcats better, it just clutters us up even more at one area, face it this organization is cursed. I blame it on not just building this arena for the Hornets. If people here would of just put things to rest and realize that this city was much better with the Hornets these post would be nothing more then guys kissing Shinh's @$$ for making a winning team. And we might have had a Pro Championship in Charlotte for once.

Posted by: knewt | Jul 22, 2008 11:21:43 AM

If that's the way you quantify accuracy, then I'm glad you don't do my taxes Matt

Posted by: The Doctor | Jul 22, 2008 11:23:42 AM

was it the absolute most accurate, down to the percentage statement, no? was it correct, yes

Posted by: matt | Jul 22, 2008 11:28:25 AM

DO you guys think the team would be interested in Sheed and Maybe Jason Maxiell in a S&T?

Sheed's only got one year left on his contract, so he'd be a nice expiring contract for you. And Max has proven to be a solid role player type of guy.

Larry Browns familiarity and love of Sheed would make this a logical possibility IMO.

Posted by: Erik | Jul 22, 2008 11:29:32 AM

I also like Okafor, he is a solid defender who can also give you about 0 - 50 pts a game, but I too cannot blame the man for wanting to leave the Bobcats.

Posted by: The Doctor | Jul 22, 2008 11:31:25 AM

thats an exaggeration, Doctor by a longshot, my figure was off by one free throw.

Posted by: matt | Jul 22, 2008 11:44:35 AM

I have never been fond of Okafor's game. As I've said many times before, hte Bobs don't need any player with the body of a 4 and the game of a 5 trying to play either position. As much as I love Crash, I wonder if we could trade Wallace and Okafor for Harrington and Biedrins? Heck, if LB thinks he can motivate Eddy Curry, I'd have to think about trading Wallace and Okafor for Lee and Curry...

Posted by: Armchair GM | Jul 22, 2008 11:47:28 AM

Just throwing my opinion in here.Josh Smith wanst out of Atlanta right,so why not sign and trade okafor/morrison to the hawks for jsmoove.Hes a great shot blocker,can score about and inch shorter then okafor at 6'9.Also he would make us more athletic also.

Posted by: truthbtold21 | Jul 22, 2008 11:49:59 AM

From Maurice Brook's final writeup from Vegas:

"Anthony Randolph, Warriors (No. 14): The 6-foot-10 forward was practically impossible to stop off the dribble in one-on-one situations and he showed a nice touch from the outside. He is the perfect combination of speed and height."

Also speaks highly of Augustin:

"D.J. Augustin, Bobcats (No. 9): Forget about his assists numbers for now, Augustin was able to get where he wanted to with the rock whenever he wanted to. He played in only three of Charlotte's five games, but when he was on the court, there was no doubt who was in charge. He averaged 19.7 points on just 10.6 shot attempts per game, while connecting on 56 percent from the field."

Randolph, at 6'10 and a half, true height, could still be growing, with long arms and room to put on weight is a NBA PF. Here are the eastern conference playoff teams and their starting PFs last season. Philly played Thad Young, Wiz played Jameson, Boston KG, Atlanta Josh Smith, Orlando Lewis, Detroit Sheed, Cleveland Ben Wallace/Smith and Raptors Bosh, though he even played some at Center.

Almost all of those guys prefer to play on the perimeter and very few of them have solid post up games. In today's NBA, which I guess you do not watch, a PF like Randolph is a great fit, espicially besides a guy like Okafor who is not very good away from the basket.

Posted by: Mason | Jul 22, 2008 12:22:02 PM

YEAH! LET'S GET JOSH SMITH AND AL HARRINGTON AND ANTHONY RANDOLPH AND DIRK NOWITZKI and every other wing player who's really tall so we can pretend they can actually post up, rebound, or defend the post like Okafor can. Hah.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 22, 2008 12:30:59 PM

Actually, Reggie Evans was the primary starter at PF for the 76ers. Hardly has a perimeter-oriented game. Antonio McDyess was the Pistons 4. Not really a 3-point threat. Your Josh Smith argument doesn't work either. Yes, he played most of his minutes at PF, but he was a more productive player and shut down his opponents better when playing at SF and SG last year (i.e. he can't guard the post.) This team is full of bad defenders. Why would you want to add another?

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 22, 2008 12:40:55 PM

Procton,

Why don't you ever actually suggest something than just insult UNC players or posters?

Why don't you ever us your "genius" to help solve the problems, rather than poke holes?

You suck.

Posted by: bonnell=procton | Jul 22, 2008 12:46:42 PM

Immovable object: signing Okafor for D Howard money

Unstoppable object: losing solid interior defense.

Not a great play for the bcats either way. Obviously need to get a post prescence for okafor if we trade. But, I'd take a fantasic offensive 4 over a mediocre banging post player that would supplant the okafor loss.

Marion has always played a 4, right? I'd certainly take that if we could keep him. I'd of course like a detroit trade with rasheed number one though...

Posted by: Bonnell=Procton | Jul 22, 2008 12:52:12 PM

I didn't say anthing about harrington,randolph,or dirk.Do you have some kind of beef with Josh Smith,and UNC ball players.My thing was if you paid attention,okafor wants out of here and josh wants out of atlanta.Smith in the east is a legit power forward,who can defend the paint just as good as okafor can,he also can rebound and he is also only 22yrs old.Like i was sayin procton im just giving my opinion,but you seriously need to get off your period homeboy.

Posted by: truthbtold21 | Jul 22, 2008 12:59:48 PM

Matt, are you serious??? Jordan is the second coming of Isiah Thomas when it comes to General Management. Remember, This is the guy who drafted Kwame Brown. It astounds me how people forget how poor his GM track record is because he's "MJ". The Larry Brown Era is going to be hilarious. I love that Jordan picks up an additional 1st Round Pick to draft a raw young player like Ajinca, at Larry Brown's request. Ajinca won't play in the States for at least a year or two, and by then the Larry Brown Era will be long over. Even if he did come this year, when was the last time Brown played a 19 year old kid who isn't ready to play? I'd give him three weeks, MAX, before he throws Ajinca under the bus. Bobcats fans need to chill out.

Posted by: Copp | Jul 22, 2008 1:00:08 PM

how about Okafor for Lamar Odom?

Posted by: Laker Fan | Jul 22, 2008 1:02:03 PM

the longer they wait to deal him, the less they'll get in return. once teams see how badly he wants out, they won't offer as much. i believe the best fit would be beidrins. this kid is still young, 21 or 22 i think, rebounds like a madman, and blocks every other shot he sees. sure he's skinny and can't hit free throws, but his energy will actually get the crowd more involved. he can also run the floor like a gazzelle. Bob, can you do us all a favor and make the right move here? verajao is overrated and whiny, we don't need more swingmen like deng or even marion, who can't defend in the post. also, thanks for passing on bayless, that's looking great so far.
how bout trying to acquire monta ellis as well as beidrins for felton and okafor. ellis is a future superstar, you'd actually have fans attending games if you pull this off, you'll see.
lastly Bob, please get rid of tone x, he's the worst thing you could do for publicity. no one wants to see some crooked tooth thug who can't even enunciate. i understand you found BET, but there's no need to turn the bobcats into that as well.

Posted by: matt eastridge | Jul 22, 2008 1:10:50 PM

how about okafor and a first round, not protected for mello? we'd get killed underneath and would, but would that be fun to watch?

Ray, J-Rich, Wallace, mello, rotation of may, nazr and whoever else.

Posted by: HJ | Jul 22, 2008 1:14:04 PM

The majority of responses here just goes to show the absolute stupidity of Bobcat "fans."

I, for one, don't blame Okafor one bit for wanting to move on. This joke of a franchise has proven yet again that the clowns calling the shots (primarily MJ) have no clue about putting a team together (the '08 draft comes to mind). And Billionaire Bob Johnson doesn't have a clue as to what's going on. This team spends tens of millions to acquire bums like JRich and Nazr, who I might add, CAME OFF THE BENCH when he was in San Antonio for Rasho Nesterovic, of all players. The team (in a miserable, failed attempt to draw back "fans") wasted their 2005 draft by selecting Sean "THE COMPLETE BUST" May and Raymond Felton, but somehow Bobcat "fans" expect Okafor to be the complete savior of this fledgling team. If these clowns can justify still having Sean May on the team, in addition to Adam "soon-to-be bust" Morrison, and giving contract extension to Matt Carroll, then I don't blame Okafor for demanding more pay. And if MJ doesn't feel Okafor is worth the pay, I'm sure a lot of teams out there will.

Oh yeah and good luck "reaching the playoffs" with 'star-studded' studs like the Great Nazr, Ryan Hollins, and Alexis Ajinica. And don't forget that Gerald Wallace is a slap-upside-the-head away from permanent disability!! Ha ha ha

I'll give Larry Brown until the 2009 All-Star game before he steps away, citing (yet again) health reasons. LMAO

Posted by: MJ Ruinsteams | Jul 22, 2008 1:19:49 PM

Josh Smith played most of his minutes at the 4, if you use Antonio D at the 4 then Sheed is the 5 so you would just put Randolph at C against him, and Thad Young played more minutes at the 4 than the 3 last season. All of which only illustrates the fact that Randolph can and will play PF. Heck we put Wallace at PF last season and he is much smaller than Randolph. Your weak rebuttal only further points to you lack of basketball knowledge. However, this is a pointless debate since Randolph wasn't picked by the Bobcats and there is no way GSW will be trading him.

The bobcats obviously aren't going to get as much back as they are going to give up w/ Okafor, but hopefully they will find someone who can guard the post and rebound. If not, we are going to be awful next season. Which is the better scenario, do a sign-n-trade for someone of lesser talent, or have Okafor play for 1 season and use cap space to try and sign another big next season?

Posted by: Mason | Jul 22, 2008 1:24:22 PM

I don't understand why you guys propose trades that don't benefit the other team. Why in God's name would Denver give up Carmello? The kid has had his off the court problems, but he is a bona fide superstar. Why would the Warriors part ways with Ellis? He will be the cornerstone of that offense now that Baron is gone.

I am glad people are passionate about this team....but lets be realistic.

Posted by: Token | Jul 22, 2008 1:31:12 PM

I need to correct a previous statement.

I meant to say, "I certainly can't blame Okafor for leaving"

Actually I would be shocked that any talented player would actual want to play here.

Posted by: MATT | Jul 22, 2008 1:31:33 PM

Nobody likes Okafor for Odom? Similar production, different skill set. We love Odom, but we don't need his skill set with our other guys. You get a passionate player with a large expiring contract. If he works out for you, great. If not, he will be a very good trade piece in Feb.

Posted by: Laker Fan | Jul 22, 2008 1:51:01 PM

How about Okafor and Felton for Biedrins and Monta Ellis?

Posted by: Misterclean | Jul 22, 2008 2:16:17 PM

count me in as one who does not want Odom on this team. If I were a Laker fan, I'd take Okafor in a heartbeat, the sure could have used his physical presence down low in the Boston series.

Posted by: matt | Jul 22, 2008 2:17:29 PM

I think Biedrins is one of the best young centers in the league - not only for his current production but for his upside. He's mobile, athletic, and has a back to the basket game. I'd like to see him in a Bobcats uniform and would trade Okafor for him straight up if we had to.

Posted by: Armchair GM | Jul 22, 2008 2:27:54 PM

Biedrins is a great player. Good rebounder, knows how to play within himself on the offensive end, not a great post defender, but an opportunistic shotblocker anyway. I'd love to get him, but I don't know if he fits Brown's profile.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 22, 2008 3:29:40 PM

Okafor is a sollid big man. He is not amazing, but on a better team he will be a lot more valluable. He should leave the Bobcats, because the Bobcats are a bad organization. He is not a wannabe center, he is a PF forced to play out of position while the management screws around with a new project from Europe. He is employed by a franchise. He has a right to seek employment in a work environment where he feels appreciated and correctly utalized just like any of us do. Would any of you keep a job that wasted your time and tallents.

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 22, 2008 3:54:41 PM

The Bobcats' management makes a big mistake in downgrading their contract offer to Emeka (compared to last year). I didn't want them to go overboard to keep him (like adding 1 to 2 millions per year to the original offer), but I also didn't imagine that they'll have the dumbness to downgrade that offer and risk losing him. I blamed Emeka for not taking what was offered him last year (those were Bernie's good old days...), but I don't blame him now, and I can understand he's disgusted with the current management's attitude. After this year's failed draft (a waste of a great opportunity to improve our front court), MJ and Co. seem determined to take this team even lower.
I agree with the posters who see Biedrins as a good solution at center if we lose Emeka, and, of course, we don't need a sign-and-trade to get another wing player (that includes Josh Smith) for him.

Posted by: Sandy | Jul 22, 2008 3:57:35 PM

MJ ruinsteams, Jrich is a bum? What's your definition of bum?

Posted by: apauldds | Jul 22, 2008 4:05:40 PM

RUMOR:Okafor sign and trade for Lebron James.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Jul 22, 2008 5:16:36 PM

Apauldds, apparently it is someone with a salary of $10MM plus and a net worth probably in the $40MM range. Wow, if J Rich is a bum, I wonder where that puts all of us?

Posted by: Mason | Jul 22, 2008 5:20:49 PM

I only mention carmello because denver appears to want to blow up and start again, cutting cost. paul gasol was traded for pennies on the dollar

Posted by: HJ | Jul 22, 2008 5:24:52 PM

the suggestions above by bonnell dont seem all that thought out. he even suggests dallas with no players, indicating a guess. since we are posting "ideas" here thanks to bonnell i have a few:

okc get okafor, may, and hollins
charlotte gets collison and ridenour
* the na-sucks of okc just signed cj miles from utah to an offersheet so they are overloaded at PG. the bobs have felton and a rookie only, so adding ridenour would be experience/insurance and collison and okafor provide the same tools so its a wash.

utah gets wallace, okafor, and morrison
charlotte gets millsap, kerilenko and brewer
*utah improves at SF with wallace and bench w/morrison. okafor to play at PF/C to go with boozer. okur could come off the bench for this season only, and if boozer walks then they start okur/okafor in 2010. and dont sleep on paul millsap, hes gonna be good.

ny gets okafor, felton and davidson
charlotte gets lee, balkman, and robinson
*the knicks get okafor for center and pair with randolph. curry comes off the bench. plus they get their fast paced PG for d'antoni. the bobs gets a wash with lee for okafor and move augustine to start as robinson backs up at PG.

AND FINALLY(for bonnels blank with dallas)

dallas gets okafor, may, and carrol
charlotte gets bass, diop, and stackhouse
*mavs get okafor for center to go with dirk, howard, terry and kidd sick starting five. charlotte gets some return in defensive center diop and good young pf in bass, plus point off the enmch with stack.

Posted by: brendan | Jul 22, 2008 5:57:10 PM

sign okafor for the same contract bogut got. trade mohammed & dudley for crittention and milicic, then send felton, morrison & hollins for david lee and malik rose.

dj, crittention
j-rich, carroll, weaver
wallace, davidson
okafor, lee, may
milicic, ajinca, rose

Posted by: larry | Jul 22, 2008 7:08:31 PM

Why weren't the Pistons mentioned as possible trading partners? Those deals he mentioned are wack. Varejo? Are you joking? Jordan/LB would never do that.

As a Pistons fan, since we got Stuckey waiting in the wings, I would be willing trade Chauncey Billups for Okafor.

That would far surpass any deal mentioned in this article and I can't imagine the Bobcats getting a better offer than that.

LB/Jordan would love to have Chauncey QB this young, talented Bobcats team. Brown's system is very complex and Chauncey is able to execute it to perfection as proven by his 2004 Finals MVP. I think it would be a perfect fit for both sides. We need an interior big to pair with Rasheed's outside game. The salaries would be pretty close too. There isn't a better PG in the league for LB's system than Chauncey. Plus, Billups/Richardson would give you a deadly backcourt.

What do you all think?

Posted by: JG | Jul 22, 2008 7:09:01 PM

What do you all think?

Posted by: JG | Jul 22, 2008 7:09:06 PM

Brendan, your ideas aren't very thought out either. CJ Miles is an SG/SF, not a PG. Further, the fact that he signed an offer sheet does not mean he's headed to OKC by any means.

In your NY deal, our top two PGs would average 5'10." There is no other team in the NBA who has that.

JG, the fact that deals are "wack" has never precluded them from making them before. But again, we can't take any deal that has us giving up Okafor and getting no interior help. Nazr Mohammed and Jermareo Davidson aren't even a good NBDL starting PF/C combo.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 22, 2008 8:21:39 PM

Everyone don't forget, next year teams may not throw money Okafors way. Did not happen this year why would next be any different. Average player, decent on D not what you need on the offensive side. Let him play it out if a sign and trade does not come along. Free up cap space go after a better free agent. Just not worth $12m a year. Really fits in the $8 to 10 range.

Posted by: merlose | Jul 22, 2008 8:33:43 PM

I love all these sign and trade scenarios people are throwing out there. Deng and Noah? The Bulls wouldn't even do that deal for Deng straight up.

No one WANTS Okafor, except maybe for the midlevel. I am thinking he stays here for 10mil per, but he isn't worth that. We should let him go and build cap space.

Posted by: Ugh | Jul 22, 2008 8:55:23 PM

JG we are looking for another PF for Okafor, not a PG

Posted by: HL | Jul 22, 2008 9:03:57 PM

I Guess i missed the memo were it was a crime to be an athletic power forward.Some of ya'll need to get out the stone age,just cause a man doesn't play with his back to the basket all the time, doesnt mean he cant be effective in the post.Yes Josh Smith has range and can jump out the gym,but he also can defend the paint as well,and yyou cant tell me that a comvo such as jrich/gforce/and jsmoove wouldnt get this team over the hump.I DONT KNOW WHAT YA'LL ARE SMOKING,but keep it to your self.

Posted by: truthbtold21 | Jul 22, 2008 10:16:24 PM

This sXXt with Okafor is just making the draft look worse and worse. With the potnetial of losing Okafor how did we not draft 2 bigs.
1 -Lopez + D. Author
2 -jj hICKSON + KOUFOS
3 - LOPEZ + kOUFOS THEN SIGN AND TRADE OKAOFOR FOR J. SMITH ( 2 BIGS + ATHLETIC 4)

NOW WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO OVERPAY FOR A BUM.

Posted by: Larry | Jul 22, 2008 11:51:19 PM

merlose, he's not average. Average players don't have career double-doubles. Further, the reason teams aren't offering is that we can match and they'll NEVER get a chance to get him.

And no, Josh Smith can't defend in the post to save his life, nor can he post a real PF up.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 22, 2008 11:52:50 PM

And I'm confused...if Okafor is overpaid at $12 mil, who are all these players he's no better than getting paid $8 mil? Just let me know, and we can talk about overpaying.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 22, 2008 11:54:32 PM

Pretty easy to average a double-double when the points side of it is precisely THREE TO FOUR whole points into the double, and the rebounds are a result of bricking wide open layups, catching them, then bricking them again, catching it, etc, etc...

Just think Procton, if you factored in "number of shots thrown back in your face during a game", Oka-joke would be averaging a career TRIPLE double!! The guy is top 2 in the league in that stat every year.

What a joke. Yeah Procto, he deserves 'Dwight Howard money' for sure. Let him name his price. Come talk to me when he makes ONE all-star game. Laughable...

Posted by: black bush | Jul 23, 2008 12:16:47 AM

Anyone think we could trade Okafor to Memphis for Milicic and Jaric? Or to Portland for Pryzbilla and Frye? Or Golden State for Harrington and Biedrens? Or NYC for Curry and Lee? Or Seattle for Petro and Collison? Surely there is something we can do to unload this guy and get a player (or two) whose games fit their bodies better than Okafor's game fits his...

Posted by: Armchair GM | Jul 23, 2008 12:33:31 AM

whoa, easy big guy. as much as i don't like Choke-afor, DARKO is one of the biggest busts in the history of the league. why would you want him here? that guy is a joke.

i would give Memphis Othello Harrington and Lonnie Baxter for him.

Posted by: black bush | Jul 23, 2008 7:26:50 AM

Didn't the Hornets already have Alonzo, Larry Johnson, Dell Curry and Muggsy Bogues playing at the point in their history that the Bobcats are entering? If we had comparable Bobcats players with the same heart, personalities and competitive drive, could the Bobcats be as popular as the Hornets were then? Ahhhhhhhh.....sorry guys, just woke up from the dream.

Posted by: Randy Williams | Jul 23, 2008 7:58:46 AM

Randy, how long did that core of players stay together? If I remember right, LJ got signed to what was then the largest contract in sports and then promptly got injured and never fully recovered. We then lost Alonzo to Miami because Shinn suddenly wanted to play cheap.

Posted by: apauldds | Jul 23, 2008 8:46:20 AM

If it's so easy, chief, then please tell me why there are only about 10 players in the league doing it? And it's also REAL interesting that a guy who supposedly takes three shots for every one he hits led the team in shooting .534. Still haven't seen him say a word about this bullshit "Dwight Howard money" line people keep throwing out there. Oh, and the All-Star game will happen as soon as this team find a point guard who cares about making his teammates better and knows how to look to others to win basketball games.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 23, 2008 8:53:56 AM

I agree with just signing him to the one year at $7MM unless a decent sign-n-trade presents itself. Might even be able to trade him mid-season to a playoff team trying to make a run for some draft picks. I think Okafor might be in for a rude awakening next off-season. The big market teams are all going to be saving their salary cap space to go after the likes of Bron, Bosh and Wade two years from now. None of these teams are going to want to give up 13-15 million a year in cap space and risk being able to go after one of those studs. Plus you have a couple of bigs that can opt out next season that are much better than Okafor such as Booz in Utah. He turned down 12 million a season last year and every GM in the league laughed at it because they all thought 10 million a year would be a good offer. Teams are showing much more restraint in free agency this year after over-paying and getting burned the prior couple and it appears this could be a new trend.

As everyone says, Okafor is solid, but not great, forget about the double double average. On a good team he is the 4th or 5th scoring option. Everyone talks about his production going up, I see it going down if he was put on a top tier team. Paired w/ a solid PF or C, depending on where that team played Okafor, his rebounds would surely go down due to the other solid big grabbing his share. His points stay flat or even go down as he plays next to other all-stars who score 20 plus.

Posted by: Mason | Jul 23, 2008 8:59:00 AM

How about a trade with Detroit that includes:

E. Okafor, R. Felton and A. Morrison

For R. Wallace and C. Billups

We get a decent PF-C that can score and defend and an All Star PG that is "surprisingly" expendable in Detroit. That would make us a playoff team for at least two years, after that other FA will like to play for Charlotte and we can rebuild with better & younger talent.

Detroit get a young PF-C that will give them a 13+/10+ every night and a very good back up PG. Remember Detroit wants to rebuild; Wallace is an expiring contract of an old man who have just 1 or 2 years left. Billups is also getting older, but he still has about 3 to 5 years to be a solid PG and big salary.

Bobcats will look like this:

PG - Billups/Augustine
SG - Richardson/Carroll/Weaver
SF - G.Wallace/Dudley
PF - R.Wallace/May/Davidson
C - Mohamed/Hollins/Ajinca

Posted by: RobC | Jul 23, 2008 9:21:06 AM

Anyone heard the rumor that Stephan Curry may leave Davidson to join the bobcats?

Posted by: Roy Lee | Jul 23, 2008 10:02:53 AM

Mason, Okafor is just as valuable to a team that needs interior defense and rebounding as Boozer is to a team that needs scoring. If he hits the market, he'll get his money. Bogut got 5/73 without even getting offers from other teams. Okafor is better.

I did, Roy. I hear he's going to sign a free agent contract tomorrow...[personal attack omitted, Mr. Persinger]

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 23, 2008 10:27:23 AM

Okafor will make an All-Star team when he elevates his game to Ben Wallace status. That is his only chance because he will NEVER be a scorer. Unfortunately he lacks Big Ben's athleticism. Perhaps he should have stuck with the yoga...

Posted by: Armchair GM | Jul 23, 2008 10:57:23 AM

There are a handful of teams out there who could use a big with Emeka's skills.

Sacramento - With Brad Miller and Spencer Hawes they have 2 bigs who don't bang in the paint.
Dallas - Definate upgrade over Erik Dampier
Memphis - Grizzlies have no post game right now
Indiana - Troy Murphy is another big who stays out of the paint
OK City - This is the team I think that makes the most sense alot of young wing talent no proven bigs
and two you might not think are obvious

Houston - Yao works much better in space and would probably hold up better if he didn't need to bang with all the bigs like he does now
San Antonio - I know WHAT? but The Big Fundamental doesn't have a lot of time left and while Emeka is no Tim Duncan he plays almost the same type of game and you couldn't tell me he wouldn't improve with a couple of years in that system

Now obviously not all of these teams have parts that match up with what we need but there are definately teams to see what we can do

targets
OKC - Chris Wilcox and Luke Ridnour
Houston - Carl Landry, Steve Novak, Shane Battier, Luther Head.(Not all of these obviously mix and match with our various parts)
etc.. just a few options that I hope get examined because Emeka never seemed happy here and we need to do something now instead of just watching him walk away and getting nothing

Posted by: Sledge | Jul 23, 2008 11:04:06 AM

Absolutely wrong. Okafor is LIGHTYEARS ahead of Wallace as an offensive player. Fully capable of 16-11 if he gets the looks. Unfortunately, our PG would rather shoot 3s at 25% than give the ball to Okafor for 2s at 54%.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 23, 2008 11:20:15 AM

Poor Mek, could have been the greatest NBA player of all time had it not been for Raymond Felton. Evil Ray wants nothing more than to thwart Mek at every chance.

Posted by: apauldds | Jul 23, 2008 12:47:47 PM

I'd say it's less "down with Mek" than "up with Ray Ray" in Felton's mind.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 23, 2008 1:50:12 PM

Yeah you're right. What a selfish bastard Felton is. Not a team player at all.

Posted by: apauldds | Jul 23, 2008 2:18:08 PM

One would certainly imagine so given the way he plays the game.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 23, 2008 2:50:56 PM

One would certainly imagine so given the way he plays the game.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 23, 2008 2:50:57 PM

You kill me Procton.

Posted by: apauldds | Jul 23, 2008 3:28:10 PM

Yes, it is all ray's fault that Okafor likes to stand around instead of setting decent screens. It is also his fault that Okafor can't hit a jump shot for a pick-n-pop or score on his own w/ a post move. Okafor shoots a high percentage b/c he scores off rebounds and other players making plays for him and Okafor getting to clean up the play w/ a dunk.

As anyone who watches the Bobcats play will attest, you can't let Okafor post 10 feet from the basket, throw him an entry pass and expect him to score. Ray must pentrate and draw another defender and then dish to Okafor for a dunk, or brick a long-range shot and hope Okafor grabs a rebound in order for Okafor to score. I hate all of these people who don't realize that and simply look at his field goal percentage and say, "wow, I am an idiot and am going to make stupid arguements like we should let Okafor shoot 20 times a game because he shoots 53%."

Posted by: Mason | Jul 23, 2008 4:34:15 PM

Hmm...well, I certainly didn't say anything remotely like "Okafor should shoot 20 times a game." But he should shoot shoot more often than Felton, who, umm, can't shoot.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 23, 2008 4:44:36 PM