September 10, 2008
Notes from a Bobcats pickup game
I watched Wednesday’s pickup games among players at the Bobcats’ training facility. What I saw and heard:
1. Signing Shannon Brown will help. I’m not saying he’ll have a major role, but he’s different from the other wing players: Built like a football player with massive shoulders, he’ll be energetic and rugged. Coach Larry Brown craves those guys (think George Lynch in Philadelphia), if they play defense.
2. Rookie Alexis Ajinca is wearing a brace on his left knee, but isn’t slowed by the knee sprain he suffered in summer league. Ajinca is a long way from NBA-ready, but you can see what the Bobcats like when he swishes a 20-footer or finishes a fast break at the rim. Ajinca could be Brown’s pet project.
3. I can’t fault Adam Morrison for playing a bit tentatively right now. He’d never had a major injury before his left knee blew up in a preseason game against the Lakers, and he still needs to prove to himself that joint is normal.
4. Attendance at these voluntary workouts is excellent with three weeks to go until training camp. All but four players under contract played Wednesday. Jason Richardson (sore shoulder) and Jermareo Davidson (upset stomach) sat out and Emeka Okafor and D.J. Augustin weren’t yet in Charlotte. Dell Curry told me NBA teams don’t usually have this many players working out together until the week before camp.
5. Richardson didn’t play Wednesday (the injury doesn’t appear serious) but I hear he’s been the team’s hardest worker this summer. If Richardson plays the first half of this season like the second half of last season, he’ll be an All-Star.
6. It’s not hard in Charlotte to find elite fill-in players for a pickup game. Ex-Bobcat Brevin Knight (now with the Utah Jazz) and Washington Wizards center Brendan Haywood both live here in the off-season and played Wednesday.
7. Whatever center Nazr Mohammed does this basketball season, he’s already had a big summer, scoring two holes-in-one in the span of a week.
8. It doesn’t sound like the Bobcats will bring many spare players to training camp.
9. Matt Carroll is shooting awfully well for a sleep-deprived first-time father.
10. Okafor is great about staying in shape, but from what I hear about Brown’s conditioning demands, it might be smart for him to return to Charlotte soon.
Posted by Observer Sports on September 10, 2008 at 05:07 PM | Permalink
I gather that there hasn't been any Sean May sightings.
Posted by: BobcatsPlanet | Sep 10, 2008 7:53:32 PM
How many times did Larry Brown use the phrase "play the right way?"
Posted by: Brandon Hoffman | Sep 10, 2008 8:13:33 PM
Hey Bonnell you should find out what's up with Sean May and let your readers know whats up with him....
Posted by: Dave | Sep 10, 2008 8:18:12 PM
Where is May?
Posted by: Gene | Sep 10, 2008 9:21:05 PM
Larry will whip these guys into shape. The Bobcats will be the best conditioned team in the league this year. I am excited for the season to get started because I think this is a team that will go deep into the playoffs.
Posted by: Allen | Sep 11, 2008 12:25:49 AM
"Ajinca could be Brown’s pet project."
Like Darko, you mean?
Posted by: BrownFTW | Sep 11, 2008 4:45:28 AM
Bobcats Planet & Dave...there is a full story on Sean May in the newspaper today and on the website.
Posted by: james | Sep 11, 2008 9:58:19 AM
I usually don't pay attention to the early part of the NBA season because football season is still going strong. I may have to change that practice this year. I am really interested in seeing how good the Bobcats are when they are completely healthy.
Posted by: Token | Sep 11, 2008 10:44:29 AM
Good to hear that the players are working hard. IF (big IF) May is healthy, we should contend for a playoff spot.
Posted by: mcap | Sep 11, 2008 11:21:59 AM
Cant wait til the start of the season!! LETS GO CATS!!!
Posted by: Bobcat Terry | Sep 11, 2008 11:54:41 AM
Well I guess we will make the playoffs again this year?
Posted by: thisteamsucks | Sep 11, 2008 6:38:53 PM
Hey "thisteamsucks" - I guess they don't suck as bad as your life. You went out of your way to read about them and make a comment even lamer than yourself. Please just go away and make the lives better for us and everyone around you.
As for the Cats, if they stay healthy, they have a realistic shot as the playoffs. Get excited! GO BOBCATS!!!
Posted by: Bobcat Matt | Sep 11, 2008 7:43:15 PM
1. Shannon Brown, though, will have to be molded. He's an offensive-only player based on his mindset, and will jack it up with the best of 'em.
7. Those two holes-in-one sound about like the highlights of Mohammed's basketball career.
10. Brown can't be any tougher on conditioning than Bickerstaff was. He's just got a bigger ego to go along with his demands.
Posted by: Michael Procton | Sep 12, 2008 1:40:27 PM
Yes Bobcat Matt (director of marketing)
If they win enough games they will make the playoffs. This is nothing new.
They have had several years to do that.
There are always reasons they can't.
Injuries, Coaching, Ownership, Empty Arena,
the list goes on and on.
So what happens if they make the playoffs and get beat in the first round. All that means is they won't have to pay a lottery pick next year.
This organization does not matter in this town. I hope this will be the last year they are here.
Posted by: If If If | Sep 13, 2008 11:16:38 AM
They have existed for 4 years!! How many expansion teams made the playoffs that soon? The Hornets took 5 years, or did you forget.
Posted by: Bobcat Matt | Sep 13, 2008 12:12:37 PM
Please, let the haters rise up and crumble when this team starts off good and everybody is on their nuts. Its sad to see, that in charlotte people dont like to have hope and they just see this as another reason to complain. Just like the panthers, when they win fans are they when they dont ppl hate them. Wait when this bobcats team is in the playoffs and we have a sold out arena and the TRUE fans wont be mistaken for the bandwagon jumpers. GOD SPEED YOUNG GENTILE
Posted by: A Luhrs "the Bobcats Fan" | Sep 15, 2008 1:42:42 PM
Ah, the respect garnered by the Bobcats is amazing...
quentin (wilmington, nc): i just logged on so i dont know if it was asked already... how are the bobcats going to do this year?
David Thorpe: Honestly, you are the first person to ask about them in months. I forgot about them. I'll give you a good answer next week.
Posted by: mcap | Sep 17, 2008 2:21:58 PM
The comments to this entry are closed.