« Bobcats just want a healthy J-Rich | Main | Bobcats last in scoring, rebounding »

November 17, 2008

Inside Jason Richardson's rehab

I spoke with Jason Richardson at practice (he was rehabbing, not participating) and here’s some fresh info on his sore and swollen right knee:

-- He’s definitely out the rest of this week. He still thinks it’s possible he’d be well enough to play sometime next week.

-- His rehab is mostly icing and electrical stimulation, to get the range-of-motion back in his swollen joint. (Tests revealed no structural damage). To work on the strength in the joint, they have him doing some mini-squat exercises.

-- He had no indication there was a problem until a couple of hours after the loss to the Denver Nuggets Nov. 11. He was laying down with his son when pain became “unbearable’’ (his word), so he called the athletic trainer and said he was headed to the emergency room because he didn’t think he should wait until the next morning.

-- He doesn’t think anything specific to that Nuggets game caused the injury: “I don’t remember doing anything – turning the wrong way or getting hit’’ on the knee.

Posted by Observer Sports on November 17, 2008 at 02:30 PM | Permalink

Comments

Any word on an article from cnnsi.com in the Truth and rumors section that says Bcats are interested in picking up tinsley if the pacers buy him out?

I know DJ's been pretty terrible so far, and Felton is still learning, but it seems picking up another PG that isn't a slam dunk, should be lower on the priority list than say a viable PF option.

Posted by: A Fan | Nov 17, 2008 3:54:40 PM

A Fan:
It's no secret Brown wants another true point guard, but do you want somebody with Tinsley's baggage as the third guy at the position?
Surprised you think D.J. has been "terrible.'' He's not shooting all that well and he initially had some struggles guarding without fouling, but as rookie point guards go, I think he's doing really well.
Less than a month into his first NBA season, he runs a half-court offense about as well as Raymond does in season three. I think he was a good use of the ninth pick.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Nov 17, 2008 4:21:37 PM

AF, if they could sign Tinsley at a low rate (which would be more likely if he gets a sizable buyout from the Pacers), it would give them that third point guard with a little more height and length, and would also allow them to explore trading Felton. May not seem like a great idea this soon, but he's a valuable piece given that he could be a good scoring 6th man for a playoff team who also has an expiring contract, and if Larry Brown has already decided Felton's not his PG, it's worth it to get something in return for him.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Nov 17, 2008 4:22:42 PM

I see trade discussions and rumors all over the internet regarding the Bobcats, but this site never has anything good. Other than DJ and JRich, the whole team is basically on the trading block but you'd never know it by getting your Bobcats news here.

Nothing about the Clips turning down Wallace for Kaman. Nothing about a possible trade with the Nets Sean Williams (and another player) for Matt Carroll. I know the team kinda sucks, but you should still put a little effort towards covering the hometown team. Even if you just stole coverage from someone else to get your info, it would be better than nothing.

Posted by: Smitty | Nov 17, 2008 4:36:51 PM

I could see picking up Tinsley to replace Felton who is traded for a PF. (And Bonnell, "terrible" wasn't the best choice, but I don't think he's lived up to his hype nor do I think it was the best choice)

I'd hate it bc I've always like Felton and think he really get a bum rap, but I guess that might get him to a team that could use him more effectively and give the bcats a PF they really need. Probably a win-win.

What sites are you finding all those trade rumors and boy do I wish either one of those trades would have gone through.

Posted by: A Fan | Nov 17, 2008 4:54:53 PM

Maybe Sean May will drop him off some food to help him build his strength back up..?

Posted by: PLEASE QUIT MAY | Nov 17, 2008 5:02:40 PM

Rick, not to get off the beaten path here but did you see the $12 autoshow/bobcats ticket combo for this weekend. WOW!!! it looks like someone finally gets it at the Bobcats? you can checkout www.bobcats.com or www.charlotteautoshow.com as well..

Posted by: chrisrice | Nov 17, 2008 5:43:28 PM

Rick,

You and I both know that DJ running a halfcourt offense as well as Raymond still doesn't say a lot.

DJ will make me a believer when he starts hitting the shots that he made in college. Perhaps that will make up for his complete inability to get a hand anywhere near any shooter's face on the defensive end.

You're around DJ a lot and probably see what a great kid he is. But all any of us in the cheap seats see is a bunch of draft picks who are either undersized/underlong, underathletic, underskilled, or any combination of the 3, getting schooled by other teams....that is, IF said draft picks even make it onto the court(see Ajinca, May).

Posted by: DeLaQuest | Nov 17, 2008 8:43:17 PM

Smitty:
I'm sorry I'm not giving you some trade-rumor fix. Did I miss something that actually happened? No. I've reported from the day before camp opened that Larry Brown isn't satisfied with this roster. Chris Kaman isn't a Bobcat and neither is Sean Williams. Had I reported either of those things were going to happen, and they didn't, you guys would be all over me. I speak from experience.
It's always been my style to err on the side of caution on this beat, but that doesn't mean I fail to break things.
I was by myself in reporting Larry Brown was replacing Sam Vincent. Remember the day of the NFL draft? ESPN couldn't go 20 minutes without quoting the Observer, in a news cut-in, as saying that. I also told you the Bobcats were going to acquire a pick in the lower half of the draft, and that became the Ajinca trade. And on draft night, I was the one who told you -- quoting Jordan exclusively -- that Gerald Wallace was in play to be traded.
I am NOT tooting my own horn here. I'm am saying I work my tail off -- been working basically seven days a week since the week before training camp this season -- and unlike an awful lot of media outlets out there, you can trust what I write to be reliable and responsible.

Posted by: rick bonnell | Nov 17, 2008 8:58:27 PM

BOTTOM LINE, WE NEED A BIG MAN TO REBOUND ! I was all for re-signing Okafor at the time but he is not worth the money that we gave him, it seems like every game he has six points and 8 rebounds and that is hardly enough ! I love crash but if we could get someone like Kaman, we need to hurry up and pull the trigger, we would be 6-3 right now if we had a legitimate rebounder who would not allow our opponents to get all of the offensice rebs , leading to second chance points. I am a season ticket holder, and it kills me to be in nearly every game until the fourth quarter! Our coaching is better, our free throw shooting is better, our depth is better this year, all we need is an "Anderson Varijea" (sorry mis-spelling) type of player and we will win alot more of these games.

Posted by: Elliot | Nov 17, 2008 9:03:17 PM

DeLaQuest:
You're not going to hear me give a general seal of approval to how they've used their lottery picks. Not trading Nos. 5 and 13 for the rights to Paul or Williams haunt this franchise. Choosing Morrison over Gay or Roy has the same effect.
However -- and this is a big however -- you are one of those people living in a microwave existence. D.J. is doing just fine a month into the working world. I'm not impressed with him because he's a good kid. I'm impressed with him because he's damn good at what he does at the hardest position to play. He's athletic, he's skilled and he's a quick study. Brown, who can melt point guards like burning candles, is quite impressed with the kid's recognition of how to play and how to improve.
My essential point: There's so much else to rip them for, and D.J. is not the problem.

Posted by: rick bonnell | Nov 17, 2008 9:05:38 PM

I'm not sure if you cover more than just the Bobcats but I wish you would. I've been looking for news on players all over the place and haven't found anything. You're quick insight on Jason Richardson told me more then I've read all week.

Just sayin'

-Dan

Posted by: Dan | Nov 17, 2008 9:21:47 PM

Mr. Bonnell, if I were you I wouldn't waste my time defending myself to some of the people who post on here. There are a few who just don't like you & also don't know basketball, and that isn't going to change.

Posted by: Yeah? | Nov 17, 2008 9:54:31 PM

Procton is a homo who knows nothing. Ignore him.

Posted by: jason | Nov 17, 2008 10:48:59 PM

Jason, on the other hand, is a genuine intellectual. You can tell by his insightful commentary.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Nov 18, 2008 12:05:14 AM

Bonnell, Do me a favor. Can you get information on why Directv has ALL Bobcats games blacked out in Greensboro-Mcleansville area. I know it's off topic, but I'm really pissed. My neighbor has cable and he gets to watch the games, but I have Directv and it's blacked out.

On topic, I hope J-rich comesback soon b/c we need another scorer b/c Emeka "I got my money and I forgot how to play" Okafur must be thinking about his bank account during the games. I have never seen a player regressed so much. He's not even getting double doubles like he used to. We are in most games, but w/o a low post presence, it's gonna be tough to win games. Sean "I have a lifetime membership with Krispy Kreme" May is also hurting the team. We have the wings and guards to play with almost anybody, but we lack bulk in the middle. We don't need Felton taking the 2nd most shots for our team.

Posted by: BobcatsFan | Nov 18, 2008 3:15:49 AM

Bonnell has definitely done a great job of providing Bobcats info this year. He is right that rumors are rampant and changing daily, so it doesn't make sense to report everything that comes across his desk.

Agreed with DeLaQuest's comments regarding the team and DJ. Many of our guys do have physical limitations and it is manifesting itself on the court. And, DJ does need to start hitting jump shots and improving his shot selection. I hope it's just being a rookie and adjusting, but I'm starting to get worried.

Posted by: Cats_Fan | Nov 18, 2008 6:39:22 AM

This comment is for everyone including Mr. Bonnell (some of these wannabee bloggers dont appreciate your work, but keep up the good job.)

Why is it that everyone is ready to give up on Felton? If everyone will recall, this guy is on his third coach, all of whom wanted something different from him. Under Bickerstaff, Felton was beginning to play well as evidenced by his triple double against Cleveland early in his second season. Then comes the Vincent debacle. Felton is not a two guard and this caused him to regress. If Felton would have been allowed to run the show since day 1 as Paul or Williams were, he would probably be an elite point guard. Felton played very well against both those guys in college and Felton's game is made for the NBA. Can we please give Raymond a full season to show what he can do at the point. This guy is very capable of being an elite point guard.

Posted by: Austin | Nov 18, 2008 7:01:21 AM

BF, what's Okafor supposed to do? He's got the highest FG% of his career, and as you mentioned, Felton is hogging shots like he always does.

Austin, Felton IS a combo guard, not a true point. That's why three consecutive coaches have moved him there. Over the course of his career (INCLUDING THIS YEAR), both he and the team have played better when he's been off the ball. His decision-making responsibilities are lessened there, and his ability to jack up bricks is also severely reduced without the ball in his hands. If you think he's anywhere NEAR the class of CP3 or Deron Williams, you're crazy. We might have won more than 35 games with a real PG.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Nov 18, 2008 8:21:35 AM

Is that right Procton. Well take a look back when McGinnis was running the show. I believe the Bobs record was stunningly better with Felton running point. At UNC Felton averaged more assists and asst/turn. ratio was better than that of Paul or Williams. Not saying Felton is on their level in the League but im saying the potential is there for Felton to be a very productive point guard. All he needed was a franchise with some direction, sort of like New Orleans or Utah. (Both Paul and Williams have had 1 coach since rookie years.) Felton does take a lot of shots when neccessary, usually when J-Rich or Wallace is hurt. Who else is gonna put points up. Okafor? Carroll? Felton is good at creating for himself and others, he just needs some confidence in his shot and more discretion about when to shoot.

Posted by: Austin | Nov 18, 2008 9:16:42 AM

Augustine is doing a good job thus far into his rookie season. At this point he is every bit equal to Felton running half court sets.

That said the lack of a post up game with this team just kills them. That is why it would have made sense to draft Lopez who has a post up game over Augustine. It is tough to close out games when you don't have a guy that you can dump it down to in the 4th quarter. Lopez wouldn't be a savior this year but he has a chance to be a really good offensive big man down the road and that is what the Bobcats desperately need.

Posted by: jc | Nov 18, 2008 9:49:50 AM

In answer to the earlier question of team valuation, Forbes estimated that the Bobcats were worth $287 million at the end of 2007. See:

This does not take into account the steep dive the economy has taken in 2008. So, you would think the value would have dropped since the end of 2007. And, this does not count the millions that have been pumped into the team operations to cover operating deficits. So, you have paper losses and the overall loss in value. Another interesting article about possible team relocations is at:

Posted by: Edward Rollins | Nov 18, 2008 10:06:08 AM

BobcatsFan:
I'm working on a story on the Bobcats' TV situation. It can't answer everyone's questions, but hopefully it will address some major ones. I think -- I said think, not know because TV is not my area of expertise -- that because you live more than 75 miles from the arena, DirectTV would have to pay some additional to charge to provide you with that game in the Carolinas. You should call DirectTV and as why they're choosing not to do that.

Posted by: rick bonnell | Nov 18, 2008 10:36:31 AM

Austin: You're absolutely right that Sam Vincent messed up Raymond as much as any player on this roster. However, I don't fault the Bobcats for taking a wait-and-see attitude, as far as giving him a new contract. As you said, these judgments are bet left for next summer.

Posted by: rick bonnell | Nov 18, 2008 10:39:21 AM

any chance he will end up in CLT??

Posted by: JERRY STACKHOUSE | Nov 18, 2008 11:19:15 AM

any chance stackhouse would end up in CLT??

Posted by: bobcutz | Nov 18, 2008 11:47:02 AM

Bonnell, Thanks for looking into the issue. I called the communications guy with the Bobcats and he has yet to give me an answer.

Procton, I see your point about his shot attempts. He's down to to under 7 shots per game this year and he used to be at 10 shots per game last year. His offensive rebounds are slightly up, so it may seem his touches have decreased. I still don't see his game evolving. He still looks clumpsy at times when he has the ball. I still would put the onus on him to demand the ball more from Felton.

I really wanna see somebody tell Felton to stop freaking shooting. His minutes are down, but he's actually taking more shots while he's on the floor compared to last year. His FG% is up this year, but his role for the team shouldn't be scoring. For this team to go anywhere I believe Felton has to shoot less and get Emeka more involved in the game. I thought Larry would cut back on his shot attempts, but it's still the same story with him.

Posted by: BobcatsFan | Nov 18, 2008 12:02:36 PM

I am glad someone else realizes that Felton has had more instability than Paul and Williams. Ray plays hard every night and seems to genuinely care about his performance. He does take a lot of shots, but sometimes those shots are out of necessity. He is the third scoring option on the team. Its not his fault that his teammates, excluding Wallace and Richardson, are consistently unable to score night in and night out.

I really hope Felton isn't traded for a big man, but I would understand the move. It would have less to do with Felton's performance and more to do with the Cats' need to get bigger.

Posted by: Token | Nov 18, 2008 12:20:30 PM

BobcatsFan,

Felton's shooting 10 shots a game and making almost half (as a starter no less). What's the problem there?

Posted by: Zach | Nov 18, 2008 1:03:32 PM

Okafor needs to do the following:

a) Develop a pick-n-pop mid range jumpshot
b) Develop a low post move
c) Improve his hands and ability to catch a quick pass and finish with authority
d) DEMAND more touches down low
e) Quit getting his shot blocked more frequently than any other player in the NBA

I am not looking this up, I will leave that for Procton, but from what I have seen in the few games I have watched is that Augustin is jacking up shots at a similar rate to Felton. I think our PGs taking as many shots as they do is partially b/c we have no PF or C with any kind of post up game or pick-n-pop/pick-n-roll game. If we had a big with this offensive skill set, I think you would see more assists out of our PGs and a more efficient and balanced offensive attack. If we can't turn things around this season, I pray we get lucky and are in a position to draft Blake Griffin next year. He is exactly the type of player we need, unless of course we go after Sheed in the offseason (this would infuriate all of the tar heel haters and I would absolutely love it)

Posted by: Mason | Nov 18, 2008 4:15:16 PM

Not sure why felton gets thrown under the bus Bonnell. You loved Knight, but continually discount his contributions along with every ABCer on here. I'm not UNC apologist, could care less, but the guy avg 14-7 last year with no PF and I think he did better than that his rookie year. Except now with DJ you make excuses for he rather piteful assist numbers and FG%.

I know 3 coaches have said he's a combo guard, but I don't buy it. He was a pg at UNC and won a championship over an Illionis team with one other loss and the mighty mighty Deron Williams at PG.

As others have pointed out, it's not as if he's really taking more shots, and his FG% is up, what are you complaining about?

Get him a Boozer, get him a david west and then see what he does. Get him shooters that actually make shots. And why pass it to okafor, he'll only get it blocked or committ a TO.

Felton isn't in Paul's league, but to blame him for the team's problems are insane, and Rick, you're to blame just as much as the ABCers.

Posted by: A Fan | Nov 18, 2008 4:23:00 PM

Also, as far as who I'd rather have gotten at the 9th pick how about jason thompson. avging close to a double double and will be a starter in the league at PF for years.

Think we could have used a PF that rebounds and has a low post move or two over a shorter pg that doesn't make shots, defends, or makes a lot of assists?

Posted by: A Fan | Nov 18, 2008 4:27:52 PM

Obviously the Bobcats have made some mistakes in the draft the past few years. I felt like I was the only person who thought Roy and Gay would be better than Morrison before the '06 draft. I also thought picking DJ with the 9th pick this year completely ignored our needs, and I think that's thanks to Brown, who insists on having a certain mix of players. I'm not saying that we didn't need a backup pg, but we would have best addressed our needs by picking Lopez at the 9 and using our 2nd 1st rounder on someone like Chalmers.

But those mistakes are in the past, and its the mistakes we're making now, such as not signing another big man to throw into the rotation, that is extremely frustrating. PG is not the problem: Felton is doing fine. Yes, his numbers are down from his 2nd and 3rd years, but he'll pick back up. He's a run and gun point, and his numbers would be better if we utilized our over-abudance of wings to run an actual fast break. But that would require grabbing defensive boards, which as Bonnell pointed out, we're not doing. And we won't be doing it until Okafor gets some help on the boards.

Posted by: Chris P | Nov 18, 2008 5:36:40 PM

Rick,

Well before the season, a lot of forum writers felt that we should have gone big at #9 and taken Mario Chalmers at 20. It turns out Chalmers would have been a fine backup PG if not a starter, and Ajinca is currently a deadweight "maybe".

Larry Brown wants point guards who play strong defense. I don't see how Augustin could ever fulfill that role very well. Chalmers is a already a theft-monster with all of the physcial tools.

Like I say, DJ will make me a believer when he starts hitting his shots. Then he'll make up for the easy jump shots that get lofted over his short reach. Nothing against DJ personally, I just don't think you use a lottery pick on a projected backup with such an obvious physical limitation--when there are currently no under 6-foot stars in the league.

Posted by: DeLaQuest | Nov 18, 2008 6:19:19 PM

And Rick,

Larry Brown has every incentive to be "impressed" with Augustin because that was clearly HIS draft pick when so few in the fanbase--and even the Bobcats' organization--wanted him as high as number 9.

Posted by: DeLaQuest | Nov 18, 2008 7:13:39 PM

DJ's fine performance (after the game was already lost by the starters) against Dallas has pushed his FG% up to 41%. Let us HOPE that that it never sees 35-38% territory again this season. This insignificant poster will gladly sing his praises if he has more games like tonight.

Posted by: DeLaQuest | Nov 18, 2008 9:42:21 PM

Yes, DJ had a fine game tonight, and Alexis Ajinca made 2 shots!

Meanwhile,

Brook Lopez had 15 points on 7-13 shooting, with 13 rebounds against Cleveland.

Mario Chalmers had 15 points, only 7 shot attempts, and 6 assists in a win over Washington.

Posted by: DeLaQuest | Nov 18, 2008 10:18:47 PM

Chalmers is also playing beside Dwayne Wade. Who's our Wade to draw attention away from a PG?

Posted by: Michael Procton | Nov 18, 2008 11:36:18 PM

That is a good point, MP, but he is still starting and mostly winning as a rookie. I think that counts for a lot. He hounded our PG's on opening night, and of course had that amazing game with 9 steals. I'm just saying that I'd definitely trade DJ and Ajinca for Chalmers and Lopez at this point.

Posted by: DeLaQuest | Nov 19, 2008 5:47:15 PM