« Bobcats Notebook | Main | Bobcats in an interesting place »

January 16, 2009

Diop trade fits Larry Brown mold

My reaction to this trade is nearly identical to my reaction to the last one:

I don’t know whether it makes the Charlotte Bobcats better, but I sure know it makes them more a Larry Brown team. And the last trade worked out pretty well, didn’t it?

The Bobcats gave up a shooting guard they didn’t need and a big man they’d never use. Matt Carroll was an expensive luxury; either he or Adam Morrison was destined to be traded because their skill sets were so similar.

All things being equal, I’d rather have Carroll – he’s a slightly better athlete and defender. But if they got something they wanted for either one, I can see the logic.

Ryan Hollins was just a bad fit, particularly after the Bobcats drafted Alexis Ajinca. He’s better off almost anywhere else.

The real question is acquiring 7-footer DeSagana Diop and his sizeable contract from the Dallas Mavericks. Diop makes more than $26 million over the next four seasons, quite a sum for a guy who doesn’t figure to start unless there are injuries.

Bobcats coach Brown believes ball movement and defense are essential to winning. They upgraded the ball-movement dramatically by acquiring forward Boris Diaw from the Phoenix Suns. They believe – and this is subject to debate – that Diop can have a similar impact on this team’s defense.

Diop has had moments; he was essential to defending San Antonio’s Tim Duncan during the Mavs’ run to the NBA Finals in 2006.

But he’s fallen so out of favor in Dallas, you have to wonder: Do the Bobcats know something the Mavs don’t, or the other way around?

The other issue is the roster spot opened by this 2-for-1 trade. It was no coincidence. They’re still looking to do something else, whether it’s another trade or adding a veteran.

They don’t act like a team that is out of the playoff race; good – nice to see they’re not giving up – but I suspect the real returns on this makeover come next season.

Posted by Charlotte Observer on January 16, 2009 at 10:42 PM | Permalink

Comments

Well, as much as I hate seeing Matt Carroll gone, I have to admit that Diop is an upgrade to Hollins and due to the horrible contract that Carroll had, this is "almost" a break even.

Also I like the idea of opening one more spot in the roster, it gives the Bobcats more flexibility to make a good trade. Nos lets get a legit shooter to complete the team.

Posted by: RobC | Jan 16, 2009 11:12:09 PM

I like the trade. It seems that they have an idea of what the team should look like and they are making moves to fit that. I do not like the cap investment however, and hope it does not cripple us later.

Looking at the current roster I wonder what is to come of Nazr and May? I am eager to see what else they are working towards.

Thank goodness they did not give away Felton!

Posted by: Will Parker | Jan 16, 2009 11:37:22 PM

If LB thinks he needs a cross-dressing trans-gender clown on a unicycle on this team I'm with him. I say trade Felton for Travis Outlaw and trade Nazr and/or May period for a case of Schlitz and a French to English Dictionary for Ajinca.

Posted by: Bro D. | Jan 17, 2009 12:02:31 AM

Oh yeah and WAR AMMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Posted by: Bro D. | Jan 17, 2009 12:03:03 AM

At first, I did not like the trade, but after two hours, the trade has grown on me. I will miss hearing, "MC for 3!!," but this just means more PT for 'Stache.

Another positive note is the open roster spot. Maybe we will be seeing Mr. Michael Jordan rip off that suit and reveal the #23 that we all are wishing to see. Hopefully, we can benefit from this trade.

GO CATS!!

Posted by: 12 Minutes of Bobcat Energy | Jan 17, 2009 12:04:20 AM

I also like the trade, it gives us better depth at the C and we get Morrison more playing time while at the same time ditching Carroll's ridiculous contract. Does this make us a playoff team? No. But this beats the hell out of dealing Felton.

This trade leads me to believe that Felton won't be get dealt either. LB isn't going to be happy having Singletary as the #2 PG so unless we get an upgrade over him coming back I don't see us moving Ray-Ray.

Also, anyone see that BS story Sorensen put out? 'I don't know Matt, he seems like a good guy.' Jesus that guy is a hack.

Posted by: I sit near Buzz | Jan 17, 2009 12:05:24 AM

12 min I hope you are joking about # 23 playing.

Posted by: Bro D. | Jan 17, 2009 12:08:13 AM

I liked the original trade a lot better than this one. Cats must have more confidence in Ammo than they've been showing.

Still wouldn't surprise me if Diaw ends up getting dealt to NY, this (almost) makes him expendable.

Posted by: David | Jan 17, 2009 2:30:00 AM

David, how on earth does getting a space eating 7 foot bench player affect Diaw's status at all? They've gone .500 since he's arrived and his interior passing skills make Okafor worth his huge contract. Diop and Diaw's skill sets are totally different. Okafor and Diop wouldn't be a good match, they're both natural centers. I would guess Diaw isn't going anywhere.

Posted by: Eddie | Jan 17, 2009 3:09:31 AM

We still are not out of the race. We just need to go on some winning streak. Easier said than done though.

Posted by: Tyler | Jan 17, 2009 8:46:04 AM

I like the fact that the Bobcats are trying to get better. The Diop contract is ridiculous, but most big men in the NBA make more money than their talent warrants. Carroll and Hollins weren't playing so I can see why they were expendable. The Bobcats will give Diop a lot more playing time than he received in Dallas. Fans should not be concerned with his PPG average. He is being brought in to play defense and rebound. I wish he was playing tonight against the Nets.

Posted by: Token | Jan 17, 2009 9:24:04 AM

I really like this trade. We have a lot of flexibility, and we can now match up with anyone. Felton, Bell, Wallace, Diaw, and Okafor can each play two positions. Production from Morrison, Howard, and Muhammed will just be a plus.

"Nice pass from Diaw to Diop for the jam!" That's a tongue twister.

Posted by: Zach | Jan 17, 2009 10:06:39 AM

Token, you make a good point that many big men in the NBA have inflated contracts. I will take your logic a step further and suggest that it's better to have an overpaid big man (Diop) than an overpaid guard (Carrol). And Rick already made the point that Hollins was done here as soon as Ajinca was developed--the Bobs simply don't need 2 seven foot beanpoles that are projects. So this is not a terrible trade, especially if Diop can return to his 2006 form.

Look for Felton to be traded. The logical move would be to move Nazr and Felton as a package, since you need to unload Nazr' big contract now. The Bobs simply don't need 2 seven foot overpaid space-eaters.

And I'll beat the dead horse one more time: The Bobs would not have had to make a trade for an overpaid 7-footer with shot-blocking skills if they would have drafter Lopez. Instead, they'd have a rookie-salary 7-foot shot blocker, and they still could have drafter Chalmers at PG.

Posted by: Deuce | Jan 17, 2009 11:17:12 AM

Not an exciting trade, but a good trade for the Bobcats (and for the other club too). Diop is a strong low post defender and rebounder, the second Bobcat only (besides Emeka) with these qualities. As compared to our other veteran center, Diop - while he doesn't have half of Nazr's offensive skills - is the stronger defender. I don't think he's in any "decline" at his age (26 years old); what's reported from Dallas seems to show that he was under-utilized because he didn't fit in Rick Carlisle's system.
I hope this trade will work well for Matt Carroll. He wasn't going to get here the minutes he needs to perform at his best. The Mavs, though, are made pretty thin at SG by Stack's endless injuries, so Matt might get significant playing time in their back court rotation.

Posted by: Sandy | Jan 17, 2009 11:24:50 AM

Posted by: RobC | Jan 16, 2009 11:12:09 PM
ROBC WROTE "Not long ago LB was begging for more size . . . well now 7 out of 14 players are centers or power forwards."

You are incorrect sir. 6 out of 14 players are c or pf, and 1 (Sean May) is a fat turd who is at all clubs, bars, buffets in the Charlotte anf Chapel Hill area

Posted by: larry | Jan 17, 2009 12:32:14 PM

A needed move. I thnk Diop will add a lot.

DJ, Diop, is a pretty good 6, 7 in the rotation. Need to get something out of Ammo, and ideally, a star SG. That is a legit NBA team, one that has the chance to get into the playoffs

Posted by: A Fan | Jan 17, 2009 2:22:53 PM

I could see that extra roster spot being used on a veteran PG as a precursor to a Felton trade.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jan 17, 2009 2:58:03 PM

roster loaded with individual players to start the season is starting to look like a nba team

Posted by: george shinn's ghost | Jan 17, 2009 5:09:24 PM

I think you guys are crazy. Diop is just another 7 footer in the league who had a few decent seasons, signed a big contract, and then does nothing... Certainly the trade isn't horrible, and they could use Diop more than Carroll, but why would you take on an even bigger contract? And let's be honest, will Diop get any more minutes in Charlotte than he did in Dallas? He doesn't exactly deserve more than he's already getting.

I hope I'm wrong, but I was right about the JRich trade being a great move when everyone else here was bashing it.

Posted by: Nick | Jan 17, 2009 6:46:14 PM

Good lord Bro D you are sooooo way dumb.

Posted by: DanCat | Jan 17, 2009 7:18:59 PM

Hey look,DanCat is a keyboard warrior.

Posted by: Bro. D. | Jan 17, 2009 9:57:54 PM

We play Orlando twice in February. I think we will all realize the value of this trade when we see how Diop defends Howard. Howard has dominated against us in the past.
Howard's Career Stats vs Bobcats: 18.7pts, 15.3rbs, 2.1blks
Howard's Stats vs Bobcats Last Season: 26.5pts, 19.25rbs, 3.25blks

Posted by: Zach | Jan 18, 2009 11:12:29 AM

I agree with Procton that this could be a precursor towards a Felton trade, but I would like to point out that w/ Augustin out injured, we have won three in a row for the first time all season.

Posted by: Mason | Jan 18, 2009 11:31:34 AM

Nick, Diop is NOT going to be a good starter or even heavily-used rotation player who you have to rely on for scoring, but as a bit player off the bench who can provide defense and rebounding when Emeka's out of the game, he can be effective. More than Mohammed, and CERTAINLY more than Hollins/Ajinca/May.

As for our defense on Howard, Larry Brown's arrival may have helped. When we played the Magic earlier this season (pre-trades), he went for only 4-7 without hitting a single shot from the field.

Also, don't know if this matters, but Jermareo Davidson earned himself a second 10-day contract with the Warriors.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jan 18, 2009 5:15:46 PM

This roster is a mess, with several large, bad contracts. Let's see what magic Huggins, Jordan, and Brown can work by Feb. 18.

Posted by: Greg | Jan 18, 2009 6:09:58 PM

I think this trade at least temporarily ends the DJ/Lopez debate. Lopez would have been the better pick. We're playing our best ball in franchise history and DJ isn't playing, and we just took on a unmovable bloated contract for another 7 footer. If we took Lopez we'd have the best backup center in the league and a slightly better contract than Diop's(Carroll). Diop's best season, as a starter boasted the statline of 2 points and 4.5 boards. I don't care what kind of D he plays, he's way overpaid if that's all he can do.

In the past month Felton has really established himself as a legit go to guy in the last few minutes of a game. He hit numerous big shots again last night. His FT shooting used to be better in those situations, but he has never come up with so many big shots as he has lately. In recent weeks he's probably shooting at least 50% in the final minutes of close games. If you can create your own shot and make it over half the time in a situation like that then you are a very valuable asset. Most players' FG% drops off in pressure situations, but his' takes a big leap. In the past we have folded in nearly every close game, but due the the improvement in our defense(finally making stops) and having a clutch scorer in Felton we've started to pull them out. 4-1 in OT this season. Considering we were never able to come up with the big buckets needed to win games in the past, I think we need to hold onto Felton. Unfortunately because of the decisions to trade for Nazr and Diop, resign Morrison and draft DJ over Lopez I think we probably are not in a position to do that. Take Felton off the team and we probably would have lost just about every close win we've gotten this season. Add Lopez to the current team and we might have enough wins to be in a playoff spot right now.

How on earth do we keep getting suckered into trading for guys who have immovable contracts?

Posted by: Eddie | Jan 18, 2009 6:51:08 PM

May's weight and his knee problems do not go together. Usually, a player will never be right with that situation.

Posted by: jimneb | Jan 18, 2009 7:05:14 PM