« Extreme makeover? Bobcats not done | Main | Radmanovic says Jackson's system not good for role players »

February 08, 2009

Thoughts on the Bobcats' latest trade

Some postscripts to Saturday's trade:

--  By making another 2-for-1 deal, the Bobcats now have an open roster spot. If Cartier Martin continues to play well, he could be signed for the rest of the season. The other spot could be used to sign a veteran third point guard.

--  Acquiring Vladimir Radmanovic and Gana Diop in these last two trades have added about $9 million to the Bobcats' payroll for the 2010-11 season. They're at roughly $52 million. No telling what the salary cap will be by then, but many other teams are hoarding cap room for that spectacular free-agent class the summer of 2010.

I'm not surprised by this strategy. Managing partner Michael Jordan has said often he sees trades as the more reliable route to improvement, compared to wooing free agents.

--  Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson, who once called Radmanovic a "space cadet,'' can be brutally sarcastic in his critiques of players. That won't bode well for Adam Morrison, who's already had his self-confidence punctured.

--  When Radmanovic arrives, he'll be the 23rd player to make a game appearance for the Bobcats this season – by far the most in the NBA. I told general manager Rod Higgins he'd make more money if he charged the team by transaction.

--  I'll be curious to see how Radmanovic adapts to Larry Brown's priorities. Brown believes strongly in driving the ball, and that's not Radmanovic's strength.

Posted by Charlotte Observer on February 8, 2009 at 01:27 PM | Permalink

Comments

I hope the "veteran third point guard" is big enough to swing to the SG. I mean, seriously, Raja Bell is old and missing games, while Cartier Martin is still unproven.

Posted by: DeLaQuest | Feb 8, 2009 1:38:26 PM

Adam needs to go back and watch video of the 12 games in which he scored 20+ points as a rookie. It's not like he's failed to show a glimpse of success.

Posted by: DeLaQuest | Feb 8, 2009 1:40:36 PM

we had a party at my house last night when we heard adam was going away.

Posted by: reggie | Feb 8, 2009 2:09:34 PM

I think it was a good trade, we weren't getting anything from Adam. I wish him the best of luck in L.A. I think a change of scenery is what he needed. If he can get 12-15 minutes a game in L.A., he will get many open looks with all of the attention on Kobe, Pau, and Fish....hate losing shannon brown's athleticism though. Overall, pretty good trade. Injuries have doomed our chances at the playoffs this year but we have a great group to start the year off next year. My prediction for next season is 44-38 and the sixth seed !

Posted by: Elliot | Feb 8, 2009 2:19:58 PM

Bonnell, Will the trade physicals and such be completed in time for Radmonvic to play tonight?

Posted by: Yeah? | Feb 8, 2009 2:46:46 PM

Co sign Delaquest, both comments.

Posted by: Bro. D. | Feb 8, 2009 5:04:38 PM