« Thoughts on the Bobcats' latest trade | Main | Wallace confident he'll be back against Magic »

February 08, 2009

Radmanovic says Jackson's system not good for role players

Forward Vladimir Radmanovic has joined the Bobcats and passed his physical, but he didn't suit up for tonight's game against Miami because Adam Morrison and Shannon Brown had not taken their physicals for the Los Angeles Lakers.

In the locker room before the game, Radmanovic made it clear he welcomed the trade because he felt so under-utlized playing for Lakers coach Phil Jackson.

"Here I'll do what I do best. Being a Laker was a great experience, but it was also frustrating not knowing when and how I'd play,'' Radmanovic told the Observer.

"Phil's system, great as it is, doesn't give a role player much opportunity. For Kobe Bryant, it's great. For Paul Gasol, it's great. But role players don't do much.''

Radmanovic says he's equally comfortable playing power or small forward.

"I've been playing 3 and 4 my whole career,'' Radmanovic said. "Obviously I'm a little quicker than most 6-10 guys, so I can guard smaller players.''

Posted by Observer Sports on February 8, 2009 at 05:30 PM | Permalink

Comments

Vlad is definately more productive than Morrison, but it isn't worth adding an extra 7 million to the payroll in 2010-2011. Another stupid move similar to Nazr's, though not quite as bad.

Posted by: Nick | Feb 8, 2009 6:36:25 PM

vlad was under-utilized because he's a defensive liability and never consistent with the three.

Posted by: r | Feb 8, 2009 6:38:36 PM

anything is better than morrison. he was terrible...he will be lucky to be in the league in 2 years

Posted by: Bobcat Matt | Feb 8, 2009 7:14:16 PM

that's funny considering triangle is meant for role players.. it makes role players decision makers (and that he wasn't). The system actually doesn't use superstars' full potential individually. Vlad didn't get playing time because of his defense and his inconsistency even with his best attribute - shooting.

One thing though, if he was looking for multiple screens to shed his defender a la Ray Allen and then have a higher volume of shots, then yeah, triangle wasn't for him.

Posted by: rpr | Feb 8, 2009 8:16:05 PM

Diaw has performed well with the Bobcats and Vlad can play a fairly similar way, just a matter if he can knock down his shots as well as Boris has done.

Posted by: I sit near Buzz | Feb 8, 2009 9:18:52 PM

Its a good trade, its gives us depth off the bench when Greald comes back, he will help. A healthy team for the second half can make a run.

Posted by: GENE | Feb 8, 2009 9:56:39 PM

Nice edit, Bonnell.

I knew I shouldn't have trusted you.

Posted by: Will | Feb 8, 2009 10:43:26 PM

Larry gets more out of players than their previous teams 9 times out of 10...give this a shot and we'll probably be happy... The 2010 FA market isn't one for us to play in...so we're best off taking what we can get from the teams stupid enough to unload good players for a "chance" to get something better tomorrow.

Posted by: tattoo | Feb 8, 2009 11:57:17 PM

It's "Pau Gasol."

Posted by: theresheblows | Feb 9, 2009 2:14:28 AM

enjoy v-rad.

we won't miss him. i guess he's saying that if playing requires using your head then it's not a good system...?

its simple... the guy is a scrub.

thanks for giving us some cap space.

ps sorry for taking out gerald wallace, that guy's got game. i know he's on my fantasy team and i'm definitely missing his production.

d from la

Posted by: derek | Feb 9, 2009 6:05:08 AM

>thanks for giving us some cap space.

Not quite. With Bryant, Gasol, Bynum, Walton, Farmar and Vuja the Lakers are still way way over the cap. They might save some in luxury tax down the line depending on who eventually replaces Morrison, Odom and Fisher, but that's about the best they can do.

Posted by: Phil | Feb 9, 2009 7:44:58 AM

The Laker fans commenting on this blog sound mighty salty. I remember the PHX fans ripping Diaw and saying they were glad to see him go. I am sure Radmanovic will be a solid contributor. I can't imagine him giving this team less than Morrison. The Bobcats are constantly trying to get better and are starting to show they don't mind spending money.

Posted by: Token | Feb 9, 2009 9:15:25 AM

Radmanovic can shoot lights out when open, but isn't a guy like Peja that can run around a screen and drill the three on the run. He needs to be set and squared to the basket, but he will drop it.

The Lakers team defense stinks, and he was a stinker too. Really makes a lot of mental mistakes on who to cover on screens. 64% of his shots are threes and he rarely even makes a step towards the rim with the ball.

I like Radmanovic and with all of the attention Kobe and Gasol draw, Radmanovic was a good weapon, but by the end here he was just gliding around the court shooting threes and doing nothing else. A very unhappy Laker, so perhaps he can find joy in Charlotte. P.S. don't let him go snowboarding during the all-star break.

Posted by: Yogi | Feb 9, 2009 11:04:57 AM

The trade is a fair one and Vlad will provide some quality offense for the bobcats. The problem is that he will also have Brown pulling his hair out as Vlad watches players blow past him for layups and rebounds, not to mention at least a couple plays where he forgets the fundamentals at the most crucial times.

Its a shame that so much potential will never be realized. He had great opportunities in Seattle and LA to make himself a viable option (there are countless players on roster around the NBA that DREAM of the same chances), even as a starter, and never took it.

Sure hope he helps get you to the playoffs.

Posted by: Showtime32 | Feb 9, 2009 11:16:12 AM

LOVE IT!!!

Maybe Vlad isnt a sure fire bet but ALMOST ANYTHING is better than the lackluster Adam gave for 3 unspectacular seasons!! LOL

Posted by: Bobcat Terry | Feb 9, 2009 11:40:49 AM

As long as he is used to his strength (three point shooting), Radmanovic improves the Bobcats' bench. Regarding inconsistency: no shooter has his shots falling every night, they all have some off-nights. About the system: Larry Brown likes driving to the basket, and that's not Vlad, but he also demands good ball movement that creates open shots. Although he likes more mid-range jumpers, he also allows his good shooters to take three pointers. So, Radmanovic's favorite weapon - shooting open threes - should work well in Larry Brown's system. Even for defense, you can expect more from him than from Adam (against perimeter shooters, including the taller ones, but not against slashers).
There is an issue with the length of his contract (one year beyond Morrison's); that was the incentive for the Lakers to make this trade. Still, I think this is a good trade for the Bobcats, since Morrison playing under Larry Brown just can't work out.

Posted by: Sandy | Feb 9, 2009 11:48:33 AM

Hey guys -

I'm actually another one of the L.A. fans commenting today... just want to say that I think you might have gotten the better end of the deal. Vlad didn't ultimately survive in Phil's system but he's got one of the sweetest shots around and he's more versatile than some think. He started a bunch of games here, he can go to the hole when the spirit moves him and showed a lot of improvement on defense over the past couple years.

Posted by: dave | Feb 9, 2009 12:28:39 PM

I remember watching Vlad with the Sonics when Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis were there. Vlad was key peice in getting the Sonics a playoff berth. Good move Bobcats. I feel that almost all of their moves this season have been to improve the team.

Posted by: bobkitty | Feb 9, 2009 1:05:24 PM

la fan here, vlade has a sweet shot but is a defense liability. i believe a.morrison has a higher bball i.q for the triangle

Posted by: paul | Feb 9, 2009 2:49:17 PM

The Laker fans should not be mad Vlad played well for them. It was just a numbers game he didn't fit and Morrison didn't fit Larry Browns system good trade for both teams. GO BOBCATS!

Posted by: Jason | Feb 9, 2009 3:21:58 PM

It think it is virtually impossible for the bcats to not get better with this trade.

A line up of

Ray,DJ
Bell,DJ
Wall, Vlad
Diaw, Howard
Okafor, Frenchie?

Is far better than one where Morrison is anywhere in the rotation. If Vlad adds just 2-3 threes a game, with the chance to ignite offensively for say 20+ a couple of games a month, then we got the better end by far.

Posted by: A Fan | Feb 9, 2009 4:16:47 PM

Enjoy Vlad. He's a drop dead shooter when he gets a wide open look. Too bad he didn't realize he was getting as many as he was going to see working with Kobe and Pau. If he learned to play D he would have been useful. He could grow a hell of a beard in about 20 minutes though. Something Adam can't do in 2 lifetimes.

Posted by: Scott in LA | Feb 9, 2009 4:26:25 PM

According to a friend who has a connection with Bobcat organization, Knicks/Bobcats have had serious discussion about an Eddy Curry/Anthony Roberson for Nazr Mohammed/Sean May swap. Bobcats waiting to see if other offers and see if Eddy Curry's health and personal situations improve before deadline.

Bobcats see this as a way of getting Curry, who Larry Brown coached and who Bobcats seem to have strong interest in, while at same time ridding themselves of Nazr's and Sean's contract. Curry would most likely fit in for next years plan, while understanding his injury is limiting him this year.

Posted by: Jeff | Feb 9, 2009 4:36:59 PM

Adam Morrison had a decent rookie year. It is to bad he did not build his body up while missing all last season. I will miss him.

Posted by: bobbydees | Feb 9, 2009 6:14:56 PM

Although he didn't play well here, Adam seemed to try hard. It just seemed like a bad fit for him. People don't realize how situations affect guys so much. That being said, welcome to Charlotte Vlad-Rad.

Posted by: Bro D. | Feb 9, 2009 6:37:26 PM

L.A. in the house again. Honestly Phil wasnt the biggest fan of Radman anyway. Rad didnt do what Phil expected him to do here in the lakers scheme dEFENSively. I think this trade helps both teams. Radman wasn't happy. Rad will get more minutes in Char. If hes open he will knock the shot down, he also has a nice drive, but rarely does. Im actually more excited for Shannon Brown then Morrison. He hustles and plays D, well the few times I've seen him play. If Morrison steps up the Lakers can have a nice young group to grow. I'm not expecting much from Morrison, However I am expecting something from Brown. Watch out he could be a sleeper. Good trade for both teams.

Posted by: SAM | Feb 9, 2009 7:25:06 PM

Charlotte totally got the better end of the deal. I have been a Laker fan for 7 years and I know the Lakers. I think the Lakers could use Vlad Rad more than Morrison or Brown in their system. If anything, I really think this trade hurt the Lakers more. They should be playing for a championship this year because this is their best chance of winning it. Vlad Rad's 3 point rainbows would have benefited us later. I'm really sad to see Rad go. He also seems to have a fun and comedic personality and he helps out in the community a lot more than other NBA players (at least, he did while he was a Laker).
I'm planning to watch more Bobcat games just because of Vlad. He's really one of my favorite NBA players.

Posted by: Tamira | Feb 9, 2009 8:22:51 PM

I enjoyed Vlade's game. He helped the sonics and clippers as well as the lakers. He is also a better defensive player than given credit for. He just was'nt a consistent defensive player but neither is anyone else on the lakers except for trevor ariza. He will help the bobcats. The only negative that stood out was that he never recovered fron being benched. He was frustrated and he let it affect his game. He needs to get stronger emotionally. He will play great for larry brown. Just as tommy lasorda was not a great leader for every player neither is phil jackson. I really like phil jackson but he should step back and reflect on how he handled vlade. I would not have given phil high marks for his work with vlade.

Posted by: rick | Feb 9, 2009 8:38:32 PM

vlad did exactly what I expected of him for the bobcats tonight and it will help bring some scoring off the bench. brown might actually them in a 7-8 slot for the playoffs! good luck

Posted by: Showtime32 | Feb 9, 2009 10:23:14 PM

A Fan. 20+ a couple of times a month from vlad seems too optimistic to me, but I do agree that it's a good trade.

Posted by: Bobby | Feb 10, 2009 6:51:56 AM

The space cadet is one dimensional and can only hit 3's when he have a little space.When someone is guarding him tightly he is gets easily shut down.He can't do nothing else for the team.I'm going to miss him cuz he have the prettiest 3 point shot in the nba cuz he shots his shot very high and when it goes in its nothing but net.Phil never use him at the end of the games in the late 4th quarter so really he was not a big time player that could step up his game when it gets tough.

Posted by: Mario | Feb 10, 2009 12:39:27 PM

I remember when the Lakers lost to Sacramento on the road and the next game Vladdie DNP'd. Went from starting to Luke Walton starting, and Luke was near the end of the bench. Phil and the coaches thought he was a lazy player and they benched him. I personally saw Phil win in Chicago and then in LA, and saw Larry coach in Kansas. I bet you Vlad will not be on Larry's team for long.

Posted by: Hambone 87 | Feb 10, 2009 5:27:24 PM