« Radmanovic says Jackson's system not good for role players | Main | Jordan Q&A: On Felton, trades and ownership »

February 10, 2009

Wallace confident he'll be back against Magic

503-bobcatsfolo0129.ART_G4KA6M7P.1+bobfolo1.JPG.standalone.prod_affiliate.138 -- Charlotte Bobcats forward Gerald Wallace can't be much more definitive than he was at practice Tuesday that he intends to play in Orlando, that first game following the All-Star break. Wallace is participating in just about everything in practice, except contact drills.

"It's just tolerating the pain; I'm pretty much doing everything I was doing before I was hurt,'' Wallace said of the broken rib and partially-collapsed lung he suffered against the Los Angeles Lakers. "I could have practiced immediately after I got back, but they wanted the ribs to calm down by themselves. They just want the soreness to go away as much as possible.''

Wallace said his wind is better than he anticipated, although his lung capacity is not back to before the injury.

"I get tired a lot quicker. It takes me longer to get that second wind,'' Wallace said. "I don't know that I can get my conditioning right until I play again.''

The two-week medical ban on flying ends for Wallace today. "The next airplane I'll be on is that one to Orlando,'' Wallace said.

-- Good line by coach Larry Brown on what the Bobcats' last two trades did for Vlade Radmanovic and Gana Diop.

"Here, we're like the Salvation Army. Guys come in here and they get more of an opportunity,'' Brown said. "We're not where the Lakers are or where Phoenix was. I'm OK with that.''

The issue, for both ex-Laker Radmanovic and ex-Dallas Maverick Diop, is getting in game shape, which can't be replicated in practice. Both figure to play regularly here.

Also, Brown wants to undo years of Diop being told he isn't a scorer.

"In twelve years nobody's ever told him to shoot the ball,'' Brown said. "We've got to get him comfortable on the block, just like (they did with) Emeka.''

-- Brown said he isn't counting on forward Juwan Howard (inflamed big toe) to play Wednesday versus the Washington Wizards, which means more improvisation with the rotation. Brown went big against the Los Angeles Clippers Monday, making Diop a starter.

-- Raja Bell, still out with a groin strain, is trying hard not to settle for jump shots, per Brown's request.

"Raja is re-inventing himself, a lot like when I had him in Philly,'' Brown said. "We're trying to improve his game and he's not too old to learn. I don't want him to be (just) a jump-shooter. I want him to drive the ball.''

Posted by Observer Sports on February 10, 2009 at 01:33 PM | Permalink

Comments

With the trade deadline coming up, what are our odds of the Bobcats making another trade? The three obvious players that are on the block are May, Muhammed, and Felton. What are the chances they trade Felton & Muhammed for either, Caron Bulter or Jamal Crawford? We could really use a SG right now. Along with that trade, how about May and a 2nd for Earl Watson. We would have a solid starting five and a very capable backup group. Your thoughts anyone.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 10, 2009 2:22:40 PM

With sam vincent coaching, what changes do you think would have been made at this point in the season bonnell, and where do you think the cats would be record-wise?

Posted by: Brett Johnson | Feb 10, 2009 2:27:16 PM

Were waiting for Stephen Curry in the draft to cover the 2.

Posted by: Neu | Feb 10, 2009 3:19:39 PM

Injuries happen to every team...how they are prepared to deal with adversity is a test of experience, knowledge and forward thinking. Yes, G Wallace is a big part of the offense and it hurts to lose his production...we lost a lot w/Jason Ricardson too. Now Big Bob's Cat's leadership team needs to figure out how to get more out of what they've got and be prepared to make a deal for a scorer who can fit into Brown Cat's system and play some D.

Sean May needs to go...he's a Carolina boy but he's made his millions and hasn't demonstrated any desire to push back from the table, lose some weight and get into game shape

Posted by: Jon in DC | Feb 10, 2009 3:24:00 PM

Matt do you think the Wizards would trade Butler for Felton and Nazr? Butler is an absolute beast. He is one of the top guys in the NBA in steals, he can hit the outside jumper, and he is money from the free throw line. If I were Washington, I wouldn't get rid of a star like that for a good young point guard and an overpaid big.

Posted by: Jimmy | Feb 10, 2009 4:02:06 PM

Ask and you shall receive. ESPN's Chris Sheridan is reporting the Pacers and Cats are in serious negotiations to deal Felton, May, and Nazr to Indiana for Jamal Tinsley, Jeff Foster and another player to be named, possibly Marquise Daniels, Brandon Rush, or Stephen Graham.

I understand unloading garbage in Nazr and May but Felton is a better PG than Tinsley. And I thought we were finally set with depth in the low post, so why take on Foster's 5.5 million dollar cap figure? Felton makes about 1.5 million less than Tinsley as well. I understand wanting to get a return on the investment that is Felton before he hits the open market. But, with the extra money bring thrown at these contracts, couldn't we just fork over a little extra cash for Felton in the offseason? I have loved every trade thus far and will trust Larry Brown once more. But this trade, unlike all the others thus far, seem to be a little off from the surface.

Posted by: mountaineerdynasty | Feb 10, 2009 5:02:51 PM

Jimmy, I agree with you, but...Washington pretty much gave up already, they have no PG and all their bigs are hurt. They are also in rebuilding mode, waiting for Arenas to come back next year.

If Arenas comes back he will do all the scoring, making Butler expendable and maybe unhappy. Also, because of their contracts, Butler is easier to trade than Jamison, plus Jamison is harder to find since he can play SF & PF at a Top level. Plus, Felton in a fast pace system together with Arenas and Jamison will be an awesome combination for the Wizards and they can go after a SF and C, through the draft this summer (they will be a lottery with great chance of a Top 3) or free agency.

I do beleive that in order to get Butler we would have to add a 1st Round Pick and/or some cash. And even though it is very difficult for that trade to happen it is not impossible. I've seen crazier moves in the NBA before.

Posted by: Rob C | Feb 10, 2009 5:13:25 PM

This would be a BIG MISTAKE for the Bobcats to trade Felton for Tinsley. The Pacers aren't just sitting him for no reason, the guy is a cancer for any team. Also he cant't shoot long or mid range jumper, all he has is that little floater in the paint. At this point in the season you should want to get better players for your team, this would make the Bobcats worse. Look if you want to trade Felton you should go after Amare Stoudemire that would make the Bobcats better and one of the top four teams in the East. I'm sure the Suns would consider Felton, N. Mohamed, and Sean May which all three have expiring contracts. Also Felton is a player who give the Suns immediate help and also ease some of the blow of having to part ways with Stoudemire.

Posted by: Jsn23nc | Feb 12, 2009 2:00:16 PM