« Wallace is figuring it out | Main | Jefferson signed; Brown on Calipari »

March 30, 2009

Brown: Morrison couldn't handle expectations

Bobcats coach Larry Brown made it clear Monday that Adam Morrison is no longer here because he didn't want to be here, and couldn't handle the pressure associated with being chosen third overall in the 2006 draft.

"I was happy Adam got to leave because he was never comfortable here. You were hoping it would be a new lease on life for him. I still think it can be,'' said Brown of the Feb. 7 trade that dealt Morrison to the Los Angeles Lakers.

Brown said the other factors -- the glut at shooting guard and small forward and Morrison's recovery from a knee injury that cost him the previous season -- were secondary to how expectations rattled Morrison.

"As the season progressed, I sensed (his frustration). You'd hear some things in the crowd and see him react. So I had some talks with him and that's when I realized (how unhappy he was.) He said all along he's never felt comfortable here.

"He told me everybody had high expectations. When you're the third pick in the draft, that's just the way it is -- it's not going to change. Hopefully with a year under him (elsewhere) he'll fill his potential.''

Brown said he sympathized with Morrison's frustration over his playing time. The Bobcats were 19-30 before the trade, (14-10 since then) and Morrison still wasn't playing much.

"His agent was calling and his dad was upset. And I'd spoken with him a few times. I could understand it. When you're with a team that is struggling, all you want to do is play,'' Brown said.

"My thing was expectations were never going to change no matter where you go. It's not always better somewhere else. But he was thankful when he went. And we got a player (in Vladimir Radmanovic) who was thankful to be here. So you hope it works out for everybody.''

Posted by Observer Sports on March 30, 2009 at 02:27 PM | Permalink

Comments

OK thats the reason why Morrison was let go, now explain to me the reason why you're still holding onto Sean May's sloppy behind???????????? Lets write a blog or article about that!!!!!! Thanks!

Posted by: bigdaddy | Mar 30, 2009 2:53:09 PM

I just do not get into NBA because its too Hip Hop mentality.

Posted by: Jimbob Bohansen | Mar 30, 2009 2:59:58 PM

Jimbob...what does that have to do with anything? It's too Hip Hop? That's a suspect comment.

Posted by: Will | Mar 30, 2009 3:07:30 PM

Yeah that comment by jimmybobby and the crickets has nothing to do with the article! some folk cant help themselves! now it would be hilarious if nascar went hip hop! jimbob would die then! ahahhahahahahahahha

Posted by: bigdaddy | Mar 30, 2009 3:17:00 PM

"too Hip Hop mentality".....My goodness! Just come out and say it's too many black folks.

Posted by: Lamont | Mar 30, 2009 3:23:37 PM

Hmmm...what could be another term for "too Hip Hop"?

Hey, Jimbob, how long did it take to come up with another way to say it? Is it also getting a little too "Eastern European" for you, too? NFL getting a little too much Polynesian attitude for you to handle as well?

You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Posted by: Jones | Mar 30, 2009 3:25:02 PM

What's wrong with hip hop anyway? You know there's hip hop out there that isn't just about killing and womanizing right? Go ahead and say it, you don't like the fact that there are more black men than white men playing the sport. I will say though that college basketball is more fun to watch, specially the tourney.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 30, 2009 3:30:34 PM

Allow me to be the first to actually comment on the article's topic. I personally had high hopes for Ammo, and I wonder if he would've reached his potential had he been drafted by Portland, near his college home. Maybe there would've been even MORE pressure, since most fans in the Northwest were familiar with his scoring abilities. Maybe he was doomed from the start, regardless of where he ended up. Who gets rattled by his own team's homecourt fans, anyway?

Meanwhile, take a look at his game logs in La La land, and you'll find that he has been even *further* buried on the Lakers' bench than he ever was here! He played SIXTEEN minutes for 4 points total during the entire month of March. In comparison, Shannon Brown has received almost twice as much playing time. Yeah, I'm sure Adam is brimming with confidence now. Oh well. Maybe he'll get a Western Conference championship shirt and cap to add to his trophy case, at the very least.

On the other hand, Vlade has been great for us since the trade. I know Phil J. was thinking cap space, expiring contracts, etc., but we definitely won out on that exchange. At this point, I can't help but think that Adam may not be in the NBA in a few years. Proof positive that sports is 90% mental, because he has all the physical ability in the world. It really is a shame that he lost his swagger somewhere along the way.

Posted by: Newsinz | Mar 30, 2009 3:31:03 PM

People, don't let Jimbob Fudrucker get you all worked up. He's the same sweater and khakis wearing Charlottean that doesn't get much of anything.

Posted by: J-Diggity | Mar 30, 2009 3:33:51 PM

Why does it always turn to an ethnic issue?

Posted by: Creole | Mar 30, 2009 3:35:58 PM

While I agree the game is more mental than physical... I'm still unsure whether Ammo has the physical tools to "live up" to being the #3 overall pick. He has good height for a wing, but his athleticism is lacking to say the least. When all is said and done Ammo might be one of the biggest draft blunders ever... whether it's fair to heap all the blame on his shoulders is still up for debate.

Posted by: David | Mar 30, 2009 3:43:12 PM

It's a race issue, not an ethnic issue

Posted by: Opie | Mar 30, 2009 3:46:55 PM

Morrison had his opportunity after Gerald got hurt, but he didn't take advantage of it. His confidence was completely gone - he was passing up wide-open shots and if Morrison wasn't scoring, he wasn't helping the team. It's not like he was a defensive standout or big-time rebounder. I seriously doubt things will turn around now that he's buried on the Lakers' bench.

Looking back, I think he'll go down as one of the biggest draft busts in NBA history and once his rookie contract expires, he will be out of the NBA.

Posted by: Gboro Cats Fan | Mar 30, 2009 3:48:19 PM

They still have May because no one is dumb enough to trade for him.

Would you?

Posted by: Musson | Mar 30, 2009 3:50:35 PM

I don't know dude personally, but I think its safe to say that Morrison is mentally weak. I guess he was coddled and worshiped his entire basketball career. He had a rude awakening when he got to Charlotte and people booed him for not playing well. He has enough talent to make it in the NBA as a role player, but only if he can build a stronger resistance to criticism.

Also, how does Brown know that Morrison's father wasn't happy with Adam's playing time. I hope The elder Morrison didn't call Brown and ask why his son wasn't playing. I would lose all respect for Morrison if that's the case.

Posted by: Token | Mar 30, 2009 3:52:59 PM

All you folks need REAL jobs!

Posted by: Anon | Mar 30, 2009 3:52:59 PM

radmanovic didn't see to be happy to be here when he tossed his water bottle after he was subbed out of the game on saturday night. never saw morrison conduct himself that way. at least morrison was ofter 1st up off the bench to high five his team mates. morrison was amazing in college. the bobcats mishandled him which is why he never produced here. now he is with a real team, he will explode.

Posted by: the voice | Mar 30, 2009 3:54:34 PM

Adam, was a good shooter but that doesn't make up for the lack of foot speed and ability to rotate on the swing pass. He was too much of a defensive liability and this was the reason he is not a good fit in the NBA. He cannot guard the two guards in the NBA, Kobes and Lebrons of the world. The prototypical two guard is a solid shooter with great defensive skills. Raja Bell is better than Morrison. "Rad" still needs to work on his defense and he can get hot with the best of them. As far as the "Hip hop" statement... I think ghetto might be more appropriate. I love NBA basketball!

Posted by: cham | Mar 30, 2009 3:55:18 PM

Sean May = North Carolina Tarheel

Posted by: Mark Allison | Mar 30, 2009 4:08:15 PM

Very well said NEWSINZ...definitely lost his swagger. I think he needs to pick up about 20 pounds of beef to have a chance. He's definitely not quick and if he can't impose himself in the post, he will never see another open shot and his scoring machine days will definitely be behind him.

Posted by: superlucchic | Mar 30, 2009 4:35:09 PM

His DAD was calling? That tells me everything I need to know about Adam Morrison. He really isn't tough enough. If you can't handle the Charlotte crowd, then you're a wuss, period. He'll be out of the league very soon. Then he can go to the park, dig a hole, sit in it and cry.

Posted by: stinger | Mar 30, 2009 4:49:43 PM

***********

I seriously doubt it. Morrison has gotten DNP-CDs (Did Not Play - Coach's Decision)in 9 of the Lakers' last 10 games. In the one game he did get to play, he was on the court for less than 5:00 and didn't score. He's actually getting less playing time in L.A. than he did in Charlotte.

Posted by: Gboro Cats Fan | Mar 30, 2009 4:56:24 PM

Newsinz - You are no different than JimBob. Both of you guys sound a bit angry.

Posted by: Big Daddy | Mar 30, 2009 5:07:20 PM

Some of these players that are drafted high can't seem to take the heat and pressure being a high draft pick. Although, they seem to have no problem when they want millions up front for not doing nothing and have not proven anything before they even play one game. This is why teams need to start putting their foot down. These young men think they can come in and call the shoots to whom they think they should get to play for and how much pay they should get paid. It is ridiculous. Come NBA get tough with these young men.

Posted by: Alias | Mar 30, 2009 5:08:01 PM

Speaking of "under achieving" lets talk about Sean "I aint fat, just big boned!" May. The only expectations he's overachieved at is at the buffet line at Shoneys. The problem we're stuck with is nobody wants the kid. Even CeCe's Pizza lost hope in him as a spokes person. The sooner we get rid of that mess the sooner we end up with a squad that can compete in the playoffs. Only downside is the local late nite Booty Clubs are going to take a hit for all the money he flashes around....who knows...maybe he could apply as a bouncer...problem solved!

Posted by: mike | Mar 30, 2009 5:18:07 PM

The reason why Sean is still here is that he is happy living off the team. He loves the nightlife and the buffet line. If he can continue to sit and make the money he does, get excited over playing 3min of garbage times here and there, why would he complain about playing here.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 30, 2009 5:24:48 PM

Bonnell where's the D-league players updates

Posted by: Brett Johnson | Mar 30, 2009 5:30:50 PM

Let me first say that I was and still am a huge Morrison fan. I have family that live in Seattle and have followed Gonzaga since they first hit the scene in 1999. I watched Morrison grow at GU and his junior year was something great, but I always felt his decision to turn pro and not go back for his senior year was a HUGE MISTAKE. Once declared, I really thought the best fit for him was going to Portland and stay in his comfort zone of the Northwest and playing a familiar environment. He just never could put it all together here, and then after the knee injury I knew he was pucked. Then once Larry Brown got here I knew it was only a matter of time before Adam was shipped out. I feel bad for Adam, nobody can blame him for hurting his knee, but I think the knee and the pressure to perform sunk him. Maybe he can get a ring out of this whole deal but I think Phil J's actions are pretty clear that he doesn't have a future in L.A. I think if he's put in the right situation with the right coach he still can be a solid NBA player. But maybe that's just the Gonzaga fan in me talking?

Posted by: Panthers Super Fan | Mar 30, 2009 6:00:45 PM

I sit 2nd row and remember Morrison going down hard early this season. It seemed to be his bad knee that was hit and as he struggled to get up, a random fan - who i've never seen at another game - heckled morrison to quit his crying. I thought MOrrison was going to either cry or come after that fan. I think he said to f*&$ o$$. I can understand Morrison's frustration after everything he went through with rehabilitation...to be heckled when he's putting his body on the line.

That still doesn't explain why he had absolutely zero confidence well into the season.

Posted by: HAve2650 | Mar 30, 2009 6:37:59 PM

Posted by: HAve2650 | Mar 30, 2009 6:38:00 PM

Morrison was a bad pick. He isn't athletic enough to play in the league as anything but a 7th or 8th man catch and shoot type guy. Problem was he never shot over 40 percent.
This wasn't a surprise all the experts said he wasn't athletic enough to be a lottery pick yet Jordan and company burned a number three pick on him anyway

Posted by: Jse | Mar 30, 2009 6:43:21 PM

Stinger, etc.,

It said that Morrison's AGENT was calling. His dad is part of the coaching fraternity and all it says is that Larry had spoken with him a few times. I'm sure Larry's spoken to Raymond's parents some as well--given that they are around a lot. It's actually possible that some of these players have caring parents who converse with the coaches. Big deal.

Now, WHY was Morrison's dad upset? Well, I'm sure that he has to deal with disappointment from all of the Ammo-fans in Spokane. BUT, he only has Adam to blame. Morrison had chance after chance.

Posted by: DeLaQuest | Mar 30, 2009 7:30:36 PM

News, how many players have their home fans on their case from the first time they step on the court, as Morrison did?

In other good news, KG is out for the Wednesday matchup against the Celtics. That will make one of those six wins we need easier.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Mar 30, 2009 8:01:40 PM

Rick,

At some point in the near future please take time to write an article regarding Sean May and his return to health and fitness so these people might just get it. He is a big guy, large not tall, no matter how you cut it...He got hurt and couldn't exercise so it got fat...yup FAT...probably was over 300 pounds. He has worked his tail off quite a bit and looks thin, last I saw he was "listed" at 266, but I'd say he's looking better than that having seen him pretty close up. His playing time is limited right now as Brown doesn't have faith in his ability to play a full game, or how well he would play, but May has the skill, and all the trimmings to be a great 4 spot guy, and cover the 5 in a 3 guard 2 forward type situation. The few minutes he has gotten to play of late were spectacular by the minute also. I'm not sure what the cats are going to do with him, and that'd be good to read about too Rick, but certainly I doubt they'll send him packing...

AND WHY DOES DONTELL NOT DRESS!!!

Posted by: tattoo | Mar 30, 2009 8:12:43 PM

And to think back that we could have had Branden Roy or Rudy Gay at that slot. Just think of what a team we would have with either of them. Jordan made yet another HUGE MISTAKE!!!! I think most everyone knew that Morrison would never be able to guard anyone in the NBA. When are the people of Charlotte going to finally make Jordan accountable? He is horrible at player personnel decisions. It's a good thing that Larry Brown has come along to help him mop this thing up. Now get rid of Jordan's other HUGE MISTAKE in Sean May!!

Posted by: SpecialK | Mar 30, 2009 8:51:01 PM

His Dad probably was calling Buzz Peterson (director of player personnel). And Buzz talks daily with LB, so that's how Brown would get the word.

The comment about Morrison being coddled and worshiped his entire basketball career...what player that is drafted in the first round of the NBA draft doesn't fit that category? I don't disagree with you, but 99% of the other first rounders adjust to the pressure (with help from the veteran players and the handholding the NBA puts them through).

Posted by: BlockParty | Mar 30, 2009 10:12:16 PM

Stop trying to make everything a race issue. "Hip hop mentality" refers to all of the self centered thugs in the NBA that ruin the image, regardless of race. Last I checked hip hop was enjoyed by all races. It is funny that people complain about CEO's salaries when professional athletes make millions to play a game and you never hear complaints. This is why America is doomed. People don't have their priorities in line. People worship athletes and entertainers like gods. Let's see if the athletes sacrifice and take pay cuts during these trying times... I doubt it.

Posted by: Justin | Mar 30, 2009 10:21:13 PM

Boo hoo! Boo hoo Adam. Gimme a break. I can not believe he was that big of a wuss. I wish I had lower level seats for tomorrow's game so I could yell BUST as loud as I can for the entire game. After reading this I have even LESS respect for him than I did before, and I thought that was impossible after watching his game. Oh well, he has 1 more year of stolen guaranteed money, and then he will be out of the league. What's the over under on how soon his daddy will have to tell Phil Jackson to be nicer to his baby boy?

Posted by: Bobcat Matt | Mar 30, 2009 11:08:14 PM

If we would have drafted Brandon Roy instead of this bomb, we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now!! MJ really messed up with that draft.

Posted by: DonDadda | Mar 31, 2009 2:05:14 AM

B A I T E D suckers

Posted by: Kyle | Mar 31, 2009 3:46:55 AM

Angry? Really? lol...I would use the word "disappointed" to describe my feelings, or maybe even "frustrated," because I genuinely had high hopes for Adam coming out of the draft. But angry? When our returns for Ammo, Vlade Radmanovic, is basically everything I thought Adam could be during his rookie season, with the added bonus of a stronger defensive game?

Honestly, if I were to be angry about anything, it would be because my comments were compared to that of JimBob's. Nothing confuses me more than someone who spends their precious time to post a comment on a sports article to say, "I don't follow this sport." Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?

No anger here, my friend. The Bobcats are relevant in April!

Posted by: Newsinz | Mar 31, 2009 8:16:40 AM

I'm glad he is gone...now if we can get some cash considerations for May's big ars we would be fine because realistically I cannot see anyone wanting to pick May up. Maybe he should try his luck out overseas....the love americans over there...and he can still eat!

Posted by: Graham | Mar 31, 2009 9:14:20 AM

Angry? Really? lol...I'd use the word "disappointed" or maybe "frustrated" to more accurately describe my feelings, as I genuinely had high hopes for Morrison coming out of the draft. But angry? Not when our returns for Adam, V. Radmanovic, is everything I thought Adam could be during his rookie season, with the added bonus of a stronger defensive game.

Honestly, if I *were* to be angry at anything, it would be that my comments were said to be "no different" than that of JimBob's. Nothing puzzles me more than someone that spends their precious time to post on a sports article to say, "I don't follow this sport." Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot? Furthermore, just for the record, I didn't find ol' Jimbob's post to be particularly brewing with anger, either. He only said that he doesn't like the NBA or the hip hop mentality (whatever that means). To each their own.

No anger here, my friend. The Bobcats are relevant in April!

Posted by: Newsinz | Mar 31, 2009 9:51:38 AM

No anger here, my friend. The Bobcats are relevant in April!

Posted by: Newsinz | Mar 31, 2009 10:26:51 AM

For the record, I didn't find ol' Jimbob's post to be particularly brewing with anger, either. He only said that he doesn't like the NBA or the hip hop mentality (whatever that means). To each their own.
No anger here, my friend. The Bobcats are relevant in April!

Posted by: Newsinz | Mar 31, 2009 10:27:52 AM

No anger here, my friend. The Bobcats are relevant in April!

Posted by: Newsinz | Mar 31, 2009 10:32:04 AM

No anger here, my friend. The Bobcats are relevant in April!

Posted by: Newsinz | Mar 31, 2009 10:32:41 AM

Sean May is the best scorer on the team. Yes better than Raja, Raymond, Gerald, Omeka, and Cartier. The only two you could make a case for are Vlad and Boris. Boris doesn't have a shooters mentality which gives May the edge. Vlad is a better pure shooter but lacks the inside presence. I know his injuries in the past have kept him off the court but letting him go could prove to be a mistake. If he was to play elsewhere and stayed healthy many of you would be asking why he never perfomed in Charlotte. We should give him one more year to see if those 40 / 20 games were a glimpse or a fluke.

Posted by: E | Mar 31, 2009 11:08:33 AM

The NBA is unwatchable. How could someone like Morrison - that has half a brain - actually function in this system?

Posted by: Samuel Dalembert | Mar 31, 2009 11:14:50 AM

Phil Jackson is a tough coach to play for. Ask Radmanovic (space cadet?). Jackson will blast his players in the press (and the LA press is much tougher than Charlotte) and won't bother trying to nurture their feelings like Larry Brown. Of course Morrison hasn't been blasted by Jackson because Jackson hasn't noticed he is there. Morrison is an expiring contract to the Lakers. Period.

Look at his lack of playing time in LA. Shannon Brown has been talked about more in the LA Times sports section than Adam Morrison. Morrison will not be on the active roster for the playoffs. Brown might be. What else do you need to know?

Posted by: DBM LA | Mar 31, 2009 12:51:05 PM

wow, there was heavy pressure on the lakers to draft sean may instead of bynum b/c he only played a total to 20 HS games.

well bynum's injury problems continue but appear to have a future

Posted by: shutyopieho | Mar 31, 2009 2:06:21 PM

on vlade, he may turn out to be a great player for you but he did nothing for us but take up cap space and lose his man on defense.

this was strickly a salary cap trade for LA, we really don't care if ammo makes it or not. but we're pretty high on S.Brown

Posted by: shutyopieho | Mar 31, 2009 2:13:57 PM

His potential? What potential? He was a very, very, good college player who isn't that good a pro player. Whoever drafted him third made a mistake {which happens.} The idea he is going to "reach his potential" somewhere else is only true if you mean he'll be a guy who can come off the bench and do nothing some nights and get hot and score 20 on other nights. That is a possibility but the idea he is going to be a 35 minute a night, "frontline" NBA player........ain't gonna happen.
As far as the "hip hop" aspect of the NBA goes. That is what sells to their audience right now. Look at the All Star game. They'll have guys like Snoop Dog there {Snoop Dog was arrested on murder charges a number of years ago} and these type of people. The whole macho thing with the "tats" and the "I'm bad" mentality, but what are you gonna do? It sells and Lawrence O'Brien is nothing if not an entrepreneur. Look at Allen Iverson. He's a mediocre player now but his jersey is still in the top five in sales. If people want the NBA to be less "hip hop" then I'd suggest they strap on a pair of sneakers and play basketball 10 hours a day........what bothers me about the NBA today is that alot of players have no idea how to play good team basketball.

Posted by: b orr | Mar 31, 2009 2:47:40 PM

FUCK ALL U LAKER HATERS

Posted by: jo jo jo mama | Mar 31, 2009 3:33:59 PM

lakers all the way but the boob cats

Posted by: YOUR DADDIE | Mar 31, 2009 3:36:41 PM

It's not a matter of music (Hip Hop). The truth of the matter is the NBA should stand for "Nothing But Attitude" It has become a "thug" mentality. And you don't have to be black to be a thug! But the NBA doesn't have to worry, the NFL is not far behind! With the Jay Cutlers and the Terrell Owens and Michael Vicks of the world, it won't be long before thier draw starts to fall.

Posted by: ManInCharlotte | Mar 31, 2009 3:49:03 PM

With the NBA draft approaching, this is a good time to think about what to look for in an NBA prospect. The 3 things I look for are: an NBA body, superior quickness, and desire to improve. So let's look at Adam Morrison, the subject of the article above.

First of all, Morrison does not have an NBA body. How many guys with the body of a toothpick can you name that are successful NBA players? When Morrison was scouted for the NBA, most teams knew that his thin body was not going to cut it. Just like most scouts could tell that Sean May's body would not cut it--too short for a PF, too fat to keep up with an 82-game schedule. A great NBA prospect is a guy with an NBA body, and different body types are required for certain positions, but generally you are looking for tall and lean, yet strong.

Next, consider the quickness factor. In Morrison's case, quickness is obviously sorely lacking. In college, he worked around his lack of quickness with great shot-making, but it's much harder to overcome in the NBA. On the other hand, Sean May possessed great quickness, especially for his size--but it was not enough to compensate for deficiencies in other areas...

However, the quality that both Morrison and May lack the most is the desire to get better, to improve their games and dominate their positions. This mental quality is the hardest to measure, but I have to believe that there are clues--such as Morrison's failure to put on even a little muscle in college, or May's inability to walk past a Dunkin' Donuts without stopping for a 12-pack.

Of course, there are many other factors to consider when evaluating players, but these are my 3 favorites. Just for fun, apply these to this year's draft prospects and see who you would draft...

Posted by: Deuce | Mar 31, 2009 6:09:18 PM

Adam is just too soft for the NBA! It doesn't matter which team he's on,he's not going to give you much production!

Posted by: t-bone | Mar 31, 2009 6:28:48 PM

Well, another top draft kicked by LB. But I guess LB is right about him & Darko M. Not Jaylen Rose though.

P.S: Can we ignore Jimbo for now. I hope the next time he/she goes to a basketball game they play Ray's Hit the road Jack.

later