« Fielding your questions | Main | Some long-overdue frugality »

May 28, 2009

Henderson, Curry in Charlotte Thursday

Sound like next Thursday -- June 4 -- will be a relatively big day in the Charlotte Bobcats' draft preparations.

Hometown kid Stephen Curry says he's working out for the Bobcats that day, as will Duke's Gerald Henderson. North Carolina's Danny Green also said he's scheduled for Charotte that day.

The key audition in that group could well be Henderson, since the Bobcats are very much in the market for a shooting guard at No. 12. Henderson met with Bobcats coach Larry Brown and general manager Rod Higgins in Chicago, and they expressed to him that a backup to Raja Bell is a priority.

"They made it clear they need someone,'' Henderson said, referring to Bell's late-season injury problems.

Henderson grew up in Philadelphia and has known Brown since he was in middle-school and Brown was the 76ers coach. One of Henderson's close friends in high school is the son of Randy Ayers, who worked for Brown in Philadelphia.

"That would be a great place for me,'' Henderson said of the Bobcats.

Posted by Observer Sports on May 28, 2009 at 02:44 PM | Permalink

Comments

As a UNC fan I hate henderson...but it would be a nice addition to the Bobcats.....but I think he will be booed by the unc crowd

Posted by: Mark | May 28, 2009 2:47:21 PM

get some curry!

Posted by: b.stiller | May 28, 2009 3:23:01 PM

Curry will not be a good pro.

Posted by: bro. D | May 28, 2009 7:43:47 PM

If tarheels boo Gerald in a Bobcat's uniform it would be complete junk. As I lifelong Duke fan, I have pulled as hard as I can for Felton, even May, since they changed jerseys. The first alley he catches from Ray will change some opinions.

Posted by: appdevil | May 28, 2009 7:49:08 PM

I'm with appdevil on this one. I'm a UNC grad, and I think Henderson makes a lot of sense for us. And yeah, no booing the kid if we do draft him. Trust me, he'll take plenty of crap from MJ, Felton, et al. And it'll be good-natured. That's okay.

I have to disagree w/ bro D on Curry (although he definitely seems to be a polarizing prospect, and I understand the arguments against drafting him). However, anyone that can shoot the ball and score the way he does should be able to succeed in the NBA as presently constructed. He's got a slight frame, but it's such a guard's game now... I think he'll be a real asset for someone. At least on the offensive end anyway. He might be a bit of a liability on D since he probably won't be able to handle any of the bigger guards. That said, I don't think he's a good fit for the Bobcats. The backcourt would be way too small... unless they'd consider moving Augustin.

Posted by: ATXRainDog | May 28, 2009 9:09:58 PM

Hah...the first alley he catches from Felton will be in a summer scrimmage if we're lucky. Felton will NEVER take this team to the next level.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 28, 2009 10:25:22 PM

Fellas:
I think it's hilarious how so many UNC fans can't root for an ex-Blue Devil and so many Duke fans can't appreciate an ex-Tar Heel. You know who would find this funnier than me? The players. Gerald Henderson and Wayne Ellington are best friends (and, yes, this is out of the ordinary, since they grew up together). But it's not so different from Larry Brown hiring Billy King, and trusting him because he knows basketball.
I went to Syracuse, and that just made me all the more respectful of what Georgetown was under Big John. I knew how good Alonzo Mourning would be.
So for all the competitive zeal, maybe some of you should get over where you went to college.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | May 28, 2009 11:12:29 PM

Mr. Bonnell,

With all due respect, the Carolina - Duke rivalry is on another level. If you're not a part of it, then you can't completely understand it.

Posted by: OK | May 28, 2009 11:37:33 PM

To be honest MAN i cant wait to retire my #20 jersey for a good ol' HENDERSON one man that will be the BEST feeling in the world...and to those who have no clue and think this DUKE/unc thing is crazy then u must be from the north, um compare it to ohio/mich. Well even then, that wont equal to the amount of dislike of the other, just isnt nothing else like it......................

Posted by: trudukefan | May 29, 2009 1:04:57 AM

I'm with Rick. I was bred to hate Duke and I always will. But If a player is going to help the Bobcats, I say give them support and forget where hes from. Larry will make sure to beat the Coach K out of him anyway. Or did all of you forget Larry was a Heel?

Posted by: Tarheel State | May 29, 2009 12:53:14 PM

TS, I heard Williams "didn't give a shit" about UNC.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 30, 2009 1:50:36 AM

I just don't think Henderson is worth the 12th pick. Can go left, terrible 3pt shot.

He has the athleticism we need, but nothing else. We need a player who can hit shots and has the change to go for 40 on any given night. Does that sound like henderson?

Posted by: A Fan | May 30, 2009 7:55:18 AM

A-fan
I dont think there is anybody that will be at the 12 spot that sounds like that. Curry, maybe, but he would be a huge liability on defense...not what the cats need. He is an Adam Morrison in waiting. Im a tarheel fan, and Im hoping they pick Henderson. He will be the best duke player to come out since hill

Posted by: d-run | May 30, 2009 10:30:51 PM

I'm direly confused by many of the comments here. I'm 100% confident that the people that root for unc and duke and hate the players that go to unc and duke do NOT actually GO to the schools in question.
As I went to duke, I can respect many of the UNC players I saw with my own eyes in Cameron. UNC people just need to get over possibly drafting henderson.

That being said, it is clear that Henderson has an NBA ready game. His 3PT% wasn't terrific at duke (but let be honest: he played one handed sophomore year and nobody else could dribble-drive-kick on the team other than him). Too bad, cause Larry has stated he would rather have slashers than 3Pt shooters. he shot 45% from the floor (factoring in the fact that most defenses collapsed on him because he was by far the best driver). About a block, a steal, 2.5 A, and 5 R a game from your shooting guard? Clearly the bobcats are trying to become more of a defensive team (just LOOK at their stats from last year) and in terms of winning instead of selling seats, I think we need that.

Now what MJ needs to figure out is this: we could easily package the 12 and the contract of Mohammed to a team like OKC who has 27 million coming off the payroll and would thoroughly enjoy another lottery pick. This would save us around 13 million + 7 million for the rookie contract. Is the increase in wins that G would provide us worth 20 million spread out over 4 years? If michael is true to his word in thinking we are one role player away from the playoffs, yes, the playoffs are worth that extra money.

That being said, with 7 players of contracts over 5 mil (8 if/when felton is signed), some wheeling and dealing could be done:
package the pick and mohammed for camby (saving us about 12 million). Later in the season, we trade camby and vlad rad to cleveland for ben wallace (who I assume will be broken down/retired by then) and their late round #1. Net: we save around 20 million and still get our pick.

Main point: get G and play him off the bench, or trade. no other options.

Posted by: Justin | Jun 1, 2009 2:44:37 PM

I don't think Gerald Henderson fits the profile of a successful SG in the NBA. He doesn't shoot well enough and can't create his own scoring situations. I say we trade down in the draft and get FSU SG Toney Douglas. He's a born scorer and, in my opinion, has a better shot to develop into a NBA star.

Posted by: DrBobcats | Jun 3, 2009 10:51:06 AM