« On Jordan's jumper and second looks | Main | Higgins: No qualifying offer for May »

June 23, 2009

Bilas: Take Williams over Henderson

I respect that Jay Bilas isn't one of those "Be true to your school'' zealots. So I wasn't surprised Monday when he said he'd pick Louisville's Terrence Williams over Duke's Gerald Henderson.

Bilas, an ESPN analyst who lives in Charlotte, once played for Duke. The Bobcats could be choosing between Henderson and Williams when they make the 12th pick Thursday night. Bilas said the call would be close, but that Williams has the more rounded game.

Summarizing Bilas' answer to my question, in a media conference call:

Jay said Henderson is the better offensive player, but that speaks more to what an unreliable shooter Williams is. Bilas noted that Williams is bigger, stronger, more versatile (he can play shooting guard or small forward) and a better passer and rebounder. And he said Williams has a better feel for the game than Henderson.

Posted by Observer Sports on June 23, 2009 at 10:04 AM | Permalink

Comments

Well that settles it! The Almighty Oz has spoken. Bilas is THE MOST OVERRATED person ever!

Posted by: Dave Hanners | Jun 23, 2009 10:17:23 AM

That sounds well and good, but I don't think either guy is going to have much of an effect.

When you are picking at the #12 spot, you probably aren't going to get much more than a decent bench player. There's just aren't many difference-makers who fall that low, particularly in this year's weak draft.

That's not to say the Bobcats shouldn't go for the best available player. They certainly could use another solid reserve. But don't expect either Williams or Henderson to be a standout NBA player.

Posted by: G'boro Cats Fan | Jun 23, 2009 10:28:49 AM

I agree with Bilas also even though I am a Duke fan. I think Williams would be best for the Bobcats to move forward in the right direction.

Posted by: Reggie | Jun 23, 2009 10:29:00 AM

Add to the fact that he went to Duke. And we all know just about every Duke player in the NBA does nothing. Unless you count keeping the bench warm.

Posted by: John | Jun 23, 2009 10:29:32 AM

I like both of them. That being said; I know people loves the fact that Williams can play a little of both and he could turn into a very good point forward. I just think there's something bout Henderson. He's smart, savvy, coachable and I agree with Coach Brown. Henderson hasn't even tapped the surface of things that he's capable of doing. Having a coach like Brown to go along with his work ethic. I know people talks about he's not a good shooter but he's become a better shooter now than he was when he first arrived in Durham three years ago. He seems like a kid that going to continue to improve his jump shot and he has the drive to. There are a lot of guys whom made themselves better shooters than when they first got into the league. Bell is one for sure. I think his game is better suited for the NBA play than Williams. Williams free throw shooting kind of scare me. We have quite enough poor foul shooters on this team. He's a 58% free throw shooter. I can see us losing close games due to the fact that teams knows he's shoots so poorly. Either way, I think both would be a good addition to the team. I just prefer Henderson over Williams. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bobcats are blowing smoke in everyone's eyes and have someone else that the like. Teams do it all the time.

Posted by: Tyrone | Jun 23, 2009 10:32:47 AM

I really don't care too much if they pick Henderson or Williams. As long as they pick one of those guys (if avaliable). Yes I would prefer Williams, but I don't think there will be a huge difference between those two in the future.

If none of those is avaliable, then go for Earl Clark. Clark will be the best talent avaliable after Williams and Henderson and could also fill a need at PF. People are calling him a poor man's Rashard Lewis, with better defense.

Posted by: RobC | Jun 23, 2009 10:45:58 AM

Yeah...Carlos Boozer, Grant Hill, Elton Brand's three Olympic medals and eleven All-Star Games clearly show they've done "nothing."

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 23, 2009 11:08:36 AM

Yeah... And how many dookies have championships in the modern era? 1...Danny Ferry.

I'll give Grant hill an out on injuries, but the other guys all choke out in the NBA

Posted by: For Procton | Jun 23, 2009 11:19:00 AM

I say pick Williams. If Henderson becomes a Bobcat, he will always be disliked by the Carolina fanbase who can't see past Chapel Hill. Better he goes to a team where he can mature and become a solid player and not deal with petty distractions.

Posted by: joe | Jun 23, 2009 11:20:24 AM

Who cares? Adam Morrison just won a championship. Does that make him better than Karl Malone?

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 23, 2009 11:32:50 AM

Missing the point, the point is to say Duke players have done something in the NBA. Some have, mostly in mediocrity and can't seal the deal. 7 of the 11 all star appearences you mentioned are from HIll. I mean even Jamaal Magloire was an all star, but I dont think anyone would count him on a list of highly accomplished players. Ultimately Duke draftees, as a product of their system, typically aren't the draft pieces or players in general to create a huge impact for a team. Useful pieces, perhaps, but not difference makers.

No one is questioning that Ammo is a bust or a choke artist with minimal effect in the NBA.

Posted by: For Procton | Jun 23, 2009 11:52:44 AM

please enlighten me on a UNC player who has done more in the last decade. None of them have titles either! At least our guys get in, ya'll have produced the likes of Ed Cota and "the next great thing" Joe Forte who didn't even make it in the league.

Posted by: luckeylkn | Jun 23, 2009 12:02:47 PM

Ummm...Kobe Bryant was once the 13th pick in the draft - he was drafted by the Hornets one spot LOWER than the spot the Bobcats hold and was traded immediately to the Lakers. I think he has done alright in the NBA. Meanwhile many top-5 picks have struggled to live up to expectations. This is frequently true in another major league - the NFL. Think about Ryan Leaf (top 2 pick) vs. Tom Brady (6th round pick, bottom of the barrel). Draft position is overrated in general.

For the record I'm not a fan of any of these players or their teams - but they're definitely good examples of how easy it is for top picks to be a bust and how often gems are found in later rounds.

Posted by: lk | Jun 23, 2009 12:36:36 PM

I wasnt trying to stick up for UNC, but Rasheed wallace played a large role for the Detroit Pistions who won a championship in 2004 following his aquisition. Then went on to 4 consecutive Eastern conference finals.

Posted by: For Procton | Jun 23, 2009 12:43:54 PM

Regarding the post by "Posted by: John | Jun 23, 2009 10:29:32 AM"...do you not watch basketball or are you just a moron?

Posted by: alm0920 | Jun 23, 2009 1:24:20 PM

I just wish the NBA would go back to short shorts .I really like those, especially on hairy legs.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 23, 2009 1:28:51 PM

ESPN.com just did a story a couple a weeks ago proving that Duke players and Wake Forest players turn out to be the most productive in the NBA than any other schools. So, Take that.

Posted by: krm | Jun 23, 2009 1:42:53 PM

I think you know what you'll get with Williams, he's probably close to peaking. He would be the safe pick. But Henderson just seems to have much more potential. Under the continued tutalage of another great coach he should only improve. If he gets a Jumper (which he has already improved dramatically) he could be real dangerous

Posted by: DNYCE | Jun 23, 2009 1:45:43 PM

krm, that's ridiculous! ESPN must have an anti-UNC bias!!!

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 23, 2009 1:55:22 PM

To Dave Hanners: Bilas is the "most overrated person" ever? Really? I mean, REALLY? In the history of the world, through all of humankind, Jay Bilas is the single most overrated? Even more so than, say, Napolean, who blew an entire empire? Or Custer, who got turned into hamburger at Little Big Horn? Or Abner Doubleday, who never invented baseball?
You mean Bilas is more overrated than them?
Or are you maybe just a little prone to exaggeration, overstatement, Duke envy, those kinda things? Just wondering....

Posted by: Gibby | Jun 23, 2009 2:31:09 PM

Pass on Henderson and you pass on an elite athlete with a reliable outside jump shot. Williams is good, but in five years Henderson will be the better pro. The bad part is the Bobcats need help now to make the playoffs next season.

Posted by: unccpike | Jun 23, 2009 3:08:08 PM

UNC Fans need to drop this Duke can't produce any good NBA players. Over the past decade, or better yet, if you take out the pros UNC put out in the 80s, Duke has actually been more successful since then compared to UNC in producing good NBA players. Especially in the past 10 years UNC fans have no ground to stand on in terms of NBA talent. I'm a Duke fan and I refrain from making this argument because I think it's stupid, however UNC fans tend to play this card that's outdated and off target in terms of recent success.

Posted by: Craig | Jun 23, 2009 3:11:43 PM

@ G'boro Cats fan...any of these guys bums?

David West
Rajon Rondo
Rodney Stuckey
Jordan Farmar
Paul Milsap
Leon Powe
Kevin Martin

They were all picked AFTER #12..and this was just a few guys I picked out since 2003! Do your homework and you can get a more than quality player at 12 even in seemingly the weakest of drafts!

Posted by: Bobcat Terry | Jun 23, 2009 4:04:08 PM

The last thing the Babcats need to worry about is pleasing Duke or Carolina fans. Take the best player available. The last two years Roy and Lopez were clearly the best players available and they passed.

Posted by: cc | Jun 23, 2009 4:19:23 PM

The Bobcats too. :)

Posted by: cc | Jun 23, 2009 4:20:23 PM

I hate to say this but Henderson reminds me of Cory Meggette, and Williams remind me of Gerald Wallace. At the 12 pick Earl Clark is to me better because he can guard the R. Lewis and guys like that plus play the small forward too.

Posted by: steven | Jun 23, 2009 5:17:30 PM

HEY HEY HEY,
ONE COMMENT ABOUT NOT GETTING GOOD PICKS AFTER 12 IS CRAZY. TONY PARKER(LATE 20'S IN THE DRAFT) IS AN ALLSTAR, SO IS GINOBLI WHO WENT IN THE SECOND ROUND, BOOZER WAS A SECOND ROUNDER....

UNC DOES HAVE A BETTER SYSTEM THAT PRODUCES MORE NBA READY PLAYERS. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO WILLIAM AVERY,COREY MAGGETTE, JJ REDICK, SHELDON WILLIAMS... ETC. SOMEONE SAID EARLIER THAT SHEED WAS IMPORTANT IN 04 WITH DETROIT, SHANE BATTIER MAY BE THE MOST CONSISTENT OUT OF DUKE IN THE LAST 20 YEARS.

AS FAR AS WAKE FOREST GOES OTHER TIMMY AND CP3 WHO ELSE HAS PEFORMED ON THE NBA LEVEL IN THE LAST 25 YEARS... ITS A VERY SHORT LIST... HOW MANY GUYS THAT WENT TO DUKE OR WAKE FOREST IN THE PAST 20 YEARS ARE IN THE HALL OF FAME OR GOING TO BE... THAT LIST IS NOT AS LONG AS THE UNC LIST..

CASE CLOSED

Posted by: Fuddruckaz | Jun 23, 2009 5:36:54 PM

You idiots, they're picking my son!

Posted by: Hansblo's Dad | Jun 23, 2009 6:05:39 PM

I think if Williams is available at 12 that's the pick. If Williams is gone they take Henderson. If both are gone I see DeJaun Blair or they trade the pick for a veteran if possible.

Posted by: MajorLeague | Jun 23, 2009 6:55:44 PM

unccpike - take out the UNC players from the 80s and you still have (1) Vince Carter, (2) Antawn Jameson, (3) Rasheed Wallace and (4) Jerry Stackhouse, all of whom have done been stars in the NBA at some point. and that's not counting all the others that are contributing regularly in the NBA but might not be considered stars.
c'mon now, uncc can't be that bad of a school, can it?

Posted by: Dookislame | Jun 23, 2009 7:22:35 PM

Yes, Roy and Lopez were "clearly the best"...aside from the fact that Morrison was consistently rated higher and Lopez wouldn't have fit the team in any way.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 23, 2009 8:37:26 PM

funny to hear about all this "untapped potential" in henderson. that CLEARLY seems to be saying that coach k doesn't know what the hell he's doing as a coach

Posted by: gowolfpack | Jun 23, 2009 8:43:14 PM

Michael Procton i got one name for u micheal jordan know beat that

Posted by: jon | Jun 23, 2009 9:33:22 PM

Yeah, I remember a guy picked #13 in 1996...he turned into a decent role player...

Posted by: Kevin | Jun 23, 2009 10:54:51 PM

Guys and girls, there are SIX UNC-CH articles on the front page of the online sports section. And the Charlotte Observer wonders why other local subscribers are dropping their subscriptions.

Posted by: Jackson | Jun 24, 2009 7:17:27 AM

krm - can you provide a link to that ESPN story that you mention. I would really like to see the science behind that story. I think it may be the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. Who wrote it?

Posted by: krm is an idiot | Jun 24, 2009 9:10:32 AM

Like it really matters who the kitty kats select. Meh... That team should be in the D league. With the exceptions of Wallace, and ,maybe Felton. I can't see them keeping the core together. Do anyone pay for tickets to watch them play. Drop the Bobcats and keep the name for the new baseball franchise. Or get a good team and play them.

Posted by: Rono | Jun 24, 2009 11:07:12 AM

Hey Procton? When you mentioned the 3 Dukies with 3 gold medals and eleven all-star games....crap..I thought you were talking about Micheal Jordan!

Posted by: triple t | Jun 24, 2009 6:15:35 PM

And hey Craig, you dumas: about all that great duke nba talent in the last 10 years-do me a favor. Pick your best 3 dukies over the last 10 years and compare all their nba stats against these 3 heels: (1) Antwan Jamison (2) Rasheed Wallace (3) Vince Carter and for a great six man throw in Jerry Stackhouse. You are such a dumb ass. Finally, tally all the NBA RINGS ON CAROLINA PLAYERS AND THEN TALLY THE DUKE PLAYERS IN THE LAST 10 YEARS OR BETTER YET DUMB ASS FOR THE LAST 60 YEARS! Are YOU FOR FRIGGIN' REAL? Mike Jordan has accomplished more than all Duke has in the nba combined! Coach K sucks as far as preparing players for the fast paced NBA game. Consider the rings and acomplishments of James Worthy, Sam Perkins, Kenny Smith, GQD, I could go on and on and on-these are friggin household names forever dumb ass!

Posted by: triple t | Jun 24, 2009 6:28:39 PM