« Hansbrough in Charlotte Wednesday | Main | Seven in-state first-rounders? Maybe »

June 10, 2009

No decision yet on May qualifier

Not that this is any revelation, but here's the latest from Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins, concerning the restricted free agents:

It's a foregone conclusion the Bobcats will make point guard Raymond Felton a qualifying offer, (one year, $5.5 million)  but they're still deciding whether to qualify reserve power forward Sean May (one year, $3.6 million-plus). And for what it's worth, that's precisely how I'd handle this.

They'd have a few days after the draft to decide on May, and I'd think what they do with the 12th pick could be a factor in whether it's worth guaranteeing May for next season.

So why rush a decision before you have maximum data to make a call?

Posted by Observer Sports on June 10, 2009 at 11:55 AM | Permalink

Comments

Why would you even consider giving this Bum (May) an offer of any kind. When was the last time he actually played a full season? He is a wasted space on the team and I for one think he should be gone. Oh, well he is a Carolina guy so nix that idea........

Posted by: Steve | Jun 10, 2009 12:42:43 PM

Posted by: the voice | Jun 10, 2009 12:47:27 PM

Hey Steve you are an idiot and have no idea what May has gone through... you nasty A$$
hater.

Posted by: MajorLeague | Jun 10, 2009 12:55:40 PM

MajorLeague, May is a Bum, that isn't up for debate. He had 1 good year for UNC and we picked him in the draft because of it. I hate UNC, but if you had to choose between drafting Hansbrough or keeping May, I would much rather see the Psycho here than that fat blob in a suit getting paid millons to "rehab".

Posted by: mike | Jun 10, 2009 12:59:09 PM

Yeah, I know what Sean May has gone through...a dozen doughnuts a day for the last 3 years.

Posted by: Fuku | Jun 10, 2009 12:59:35 PM

What am I missing? This is a joke, isn't it?

If they retain May, someone please explain what they're getting.

Where is the punch line here?

Posted by: go1535 | Jun 10, 2009 1:09:26 PM

"bonnell, if they dont sign may to the qualifying offer can they sign him straight away as a free agent at a much lower price than 3.6 million or does the cba not allow that?"

Voice, they'd have to wait on him just like any other FA; they can talk to him on July 1st but they can't sign him until about a week later.

Depending on the draft I'd go that route and offer him a much smaller short term deal...let him prove he's worth the money.

Posted by: spectre | Jun 10, 2009 1:10:36 PM

Golden Corral will be lobbying for him to get the qualifier... They stand to lose quite a bit of buffet orders, I mean business if he goes somewhere else. It's time to drop him so we have money to spend on a draft pick or someone who's actually worthy of a contract.

Posted by: PantherDave | Jun 10, 2009 1:13:04 PM

PanterDave,
how could Golden Corral make money when May ate all their supplies?

Posted by: reggie | Jun 10, 2009 1:27:18 PM

The voice -

With the 'qualifying offer', Bobcats have the right to match an offer Sean may get in the free agent market.

If there is no Qualifying offer, May is an unrestricted Free Agent and Bob's will be competing with the 29 other teams for Seans services, with no compensation if Sean signs with someone else.

Posted by: Bobfan1 | Jun 10, 2009 1:31:33 PM

TO the voice with no name, thanks for the compliment but you must be a Tarhole lover so take you head out of your A$$ and tell me what poor little, wait I mean Big Man May has been through.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 10, 2009 1:34:28 PM

This is a complete joke of an article and even a more joke of the franchise! Get rid of dough boy now!!!!!!
dont even worry about a trade.......just cut him!!!!

Posted by: bigdaddy | Jun 10, 2009 1:34:48 PM

Good point reggie... I'm just hopeful that he's not suiting up here next year.

Posted by: PantherDave | Jun 10, 2009 1:36:34 PM

HELL 2 THE NAW!!!!

Posted by: Bobcat Terry | Jun 10, 2009 1:40:35 PM

Bobfan1...

They get no compensation either way.

Posted by: Will | Jun 10, 2009 1:42:21 PM

Why would they? Is there any other business where someone who literally has done nothing for the last few years would be guaranteed a contract? May is the posterchild of athletes that get rich and don't deserve it--he has done nothing to earn the millions he's already been paid and doesn't deserve the money. And what is the best outcome for the Bobcats? He will never be an impact player in this league.

Posted by: pmon | Jun 10, 2009 1:51:03 PM

Tweet from Nazr Mohammed: "I got a glimpse of the draft prospects working out for #Bobcats The only guy I recognized was Tyler Hansborough. They were workin HARD!!!"

Think that's sarcasm?

Posted by: twitter | Jun 10, 2009 1:54:20 PM

I think they should sign him he has great potential and brings in a lot of carolina fans to the bobcats gamess.

Posted by: Sean May | Jun 10, 2009 1:56:53 PM

I have personally seen May around uptown late at nights drinking away with buddies while he should be rehabbing. I guess late night drinking with chicks heals the body quicker. Dump him.

Posted by: Mark | Jun 10, 2009 1:58:43 PM

The Bobcats would be better off donating the $3.6 million to charity.

Posted by: wildforthecats | Jun 10, 2009 2:09:28 PM

May is up in Chapel Hill right now working out and taking class to finish his degree

Posted by: twitter | Jun 10, 2009 2:17:40 PM

Also you can only rehab so much. People are idiots if you think that rehab is a 24/7 thing.

Posted by: twitter | Jun 10, 2009 2:18:31 PM

May was awesome at UNC, but he needs to go back to the Developmental League and earn his way back b/c he hasn't done crap for the cats...maybe i'm just a hater though

Posted by: Sharon Cox | Jun 10, 2009 2:25:37 PM

Couple of things:
Voice -- as Spectre said, they couldn't pre-emptively sign May to a contract before they'd have to qualify him, but realistically that's a non-issue. If they don't think he's worth the qualifying offer, then the smart thing is to let him become unrestricted in July, offer him whatever they think he's worth and let the market do its thing. I don't think -- particularly in this economy -- there will be a stampede to sign Sean.
Having said that, this whole "fat, lazy bum'' thing is out there, as is the perception he's somehow coddled because of where he went to school. If there's any reluctance on the part of Bobcats management to cut ties with May, it's this:
1. They still don't have a backup power forward. Vlade Radmanovic is a small forward in skill set and approach.
2. Sean doesn't lack for skills. And there's some concern that if they wash their hands of him, he'll go someplace else and be a success, after they put the time and money into rehabbing his knee.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Jun 10, 2009 2:36:07 PM

Posted by: Slave Famous | Jun 10, 2009 2:46:04 PM

Draft Hansbrough, cut May.

Posted by: Buc Fan | Jun 10, 2009 2:47:32 PM

Bobfan1 - You must be a duke fan, sorry to hear that. This also explains your fascination with the Bobcats, sad as well. Sean May is a waste of money and space just like all NBA players, they are all lazy P.O.S.! I vote get rid of the Bobcats and any future NBA franchise in Charlotte and bring MLB to town.

Posted by: NBASux | Jun 10, 2009 2:49:45 PM

"If they bring back Fat Dump, it better be to work at the Bojangles inside the arena."

but then there won't be any left for everyone else

Posted by: dweedle | Jun 10, 2009 2:51:29 PM

29 teams competing for Sean's services??? Oh yeah, that would be quite the bidding war.
I can see the Cavs wanting him as a way to lure LeBron into signing a long term deal.

Posted by: MJT | Jun 10, 2009 2:51:32 PM

The market for May MIGHT be $700K for the season until he can prove he's worth anything anymore. Paying $3.6 M would be irresponsible use of our cap money. If May gets an offer for $1 M, we could offer more (although I hope we don't), but he is under no obligation. I would much rather use those Veteran minimum numbers on someone like Juwan Howard.

But before the Bobcats resign him at all...is there One Example of a big boned/big body NBA player that went through the micro-fracture surgery and went on to have at least ONE successful year?

Hardaway and Amare don't count, they weren't big boned/big body.

Posted by: BlockParty | Jun 10, 2009 2:55:50 PM

I have always enjoyed your musing Rick but this is my last time reading. I just don't like all of the nasty, rude, and just plain negative folks that read and respond to this page. Some are genuine caring folks, but the majority are ones that hate him, hate them, hell, hate everyone. Sad. What qualifies them to judge? Certainly not their crappy lives.

Posted by: Franklin | Jun 10, 2009 2:57:16 PM

I don't see any reason to re-sign Sean May. This was a total waist of money and roster space. If Jordan makes the decision to bring him back he gets a automatic F on being on top of player personel. Bring in a vet for that money...sign and trade...ANYTHING! Ship him to LA with Morrison!

Posted by: Reggie | Jun 10, 2009 3:39:50 PM

Let him go w/out compensation ...$3.6 million+ is WAY TOO MUCH MONEY... "hey bobcats, I can warm your teams bench and eat junk food for $100,000! ... But if you call me right now i will do it for $50,000"

I also agree, just donate the $3.6 million+ to some charity... that’s better than paying that BUM...

Also the D-League is too high of a venue... send him to play little league basketball...

Sean May = Charlotte Bobcats biggest BUST and lamest pick... what a dud... he was a worse draft pick than the hornets getting KOBE and sending him to LA.

Posted by: UNC fan | Jun 10, 2009 3:41:49 PM

Posted by: UNC fan | Jun 10, 2009 3:41:49 PM

It's easy to say "Get rid of the bum" - and I'm not saying that's wrong. Certainly, May hasn't done anything productive in his three years with the Bobcats.

But from the team's perspective, you have to evaluate and maximize your assets. Perhaps May would be worth something in a mid-season trade. Stranger things have happened.

But Rick is right - they don't have to make a decision until after the draft. Why not wait until you've got more information? It's not like they lose anything by not making a decision now.

On the other hand, I'd try to lock Felton up to a longer-term deal, provided it's at the right price. He's a pretty good player and if he has a good season, the Bobcats could find themselves paying more to keep him - or they could lose him completely in free agency.

Posted by: G'boro Cats Fan | Jun 10, 2009 3:47:27 PM

Some of you are a trip!! Probably never played basketball and just hate the fact this young man gets millions and he happens to suffer from a serious injury that usually is a career stopper. Only a few survive micorfracture. The main ones talking about him on this blog wouldn't dare say these things to his face, probably ask for his autograph when they see him and offer to take him to dinner. Just let the Bobcats handle their business, they should know what's best for the team more than possible fans that don't even attend most games. Wish we had fans like New York b/c even when they are sorry as a team, they have the love. Quit hating!!!!

Posted by: Hater Hater | Jun 10, 2009 3:58:16 PM

This really isn't worth discussing. If they sign May it will just prove that Michael Jordan and Rod Higgans don't have a clue. Based on Jordan's reputation as an executive, don't be surprised if he does sign him. What a joke....

Posted by: Iman | Jun 10, 2009 4:05:45 PM

wasted of money and resources. Isay we cut him. And give me a damn raise. After all i am busting my ass to buy the damn tickets to pay him.

Posted by: ROB | Jun 10, 2009 4:28:21 PM

I'll cut the bobcats a deal. I'll do it for 2 mill and some burgers

Posted by: Sean May | Jun 10, 2009 4:45:50 PM

I thought that May worked at SouthPark because he is there all the time walking around shopping. I am a Charlottean and I use to go to the Hornets games all the time. I have yet to go to the Boobcats games because I think the NBA is a cheap product. May is part of the reason that I cannot go to the games. He is a fat worthless millionaire that gets payed to rehab. Best way to improve the team is get Bob Johnston out of here, let May go, and then make the games more fan friendly instead of a rap concert.

Posted by: Jeb | Jun 10, 2009 4:45:54 PM

Sign him. We have wasted a draft pick and 3 years. Lets see what we can get out of him. If he matures he can be a force (as our backup PF which we need...a scorer off the bench)

Posted by: BDuBB | Jun 10, 2009 4:50:40 PM

Sean May is a fat dump

Posted by: Reality | Jun 10, 2009 5:16:24 PM

Draft Earl Clark and be done with him(May).

Posted by: DeLaQuest | Jun 10, 2009 5:17:17 PM

In related news Ruth's Chris and Cheesecake Factory just got a $3.6 million bailout

Posted by: Captain | Jun 10, 2009 5:23:12 PM

You guys are mean. I have been a big fan of ole Sean. Ok...maybe he is a bit big boned but hey...cut the guy some slack. He doesnt have the eating problem you think. It turns out he has this uncontrollable neurological urge to stick his hands up near his face all the time.....especially when he's laying down...and well... when he's sitting up amd...ok ok when he's standing. But he cant always help it if sometimes theres a rack of ribs or a half chicken or even a couple pound bowl of seafood fettucine tied to one or both of his hands. I mean geez....whats wrong with you guys? Next thing ya know I'm going to start hearing you get down on all the people with speech disorders or even blindness.
I think you guys need to see Sean for what he is.....a nice young man with an untreatable handicap. I promise that once they invent a drug that will control his hands...you'll see how much weight he loses and THEN he'll turn into the Michael Jordon we always knew he would be.
So please...cut the boy a little break here and give generously to your favorite research hospital. In fact, start a campaign...SAVE SEAN'S HANDS! There ya go....

Posted by: mike | Jun 10, 2009 5:35:56 PM

That fatso doesn't do anything but hangout at Suite on the weekends and act like he is the coolest thing alive. He doesn't show any personality and his gut gets bigger each time I see him.

Please get rid of this waste of space so I don't have to look at him every weekend!!!

Posted by: The man | Jun 10, 2009 5:39:12 PM

Sean may had disgrace Carolina as a player after one okay season and then turn pro he has done nothing but sit on the sidelines and look.The contract should have never been given too him and his parents should have made him stay in school and finished up there. Now the Bobcats need to clear up that 3.6 and move on.Now don't get me wrong i'm a DIED-HEART CAROLINA FAN but wrong is wrong.Mike go ahead and make the decision too get him on his way

Posted by: kendallmeeks | Jun 10, 2009 5:39:17 PM

Sean May is not a bum, he is a human being and as such should be given more respect than you guys are giving. I am a Carolina fan but I would not retain May's services any longer. He is not right for this team and might fit in somewhere else. I think they will let him go. They see what you guys see they don't treat people the way you do.

I think the Bobcats overall are doing well and I'm planning on buying season tickets for the 1st time since they have been in the new arena. I look forward too it. I think their attendance will pick up this season because of people like me.

Posted by: RobNClt | Jun 10, 2009 5:43:22 PM

I appreciate what May was able to do in helping UNC win the '05 championship. With that being said, I think that it is time for the Bobcats to cut ties with him. He is hurt often, out of shape usually, and doesn't deserve the contract that he has. Let's spend the money wisely for a change!

Posted by: NCFan | Jun 10, 2009 7:05:34 PM

Will - not true

if a free agent, I agree.

if a restricted free agent, and another team makes an offer, Bob's can

1) match another offer and keep Sean
2) not match another (no compensation)
3) match the offer and sign and trade (COMPENSATION!!!!)

Posted by: bobfan1 | Jun 10, 2009 8:55:36 PM

There's nothing more wanted in the NBA next february than an expiring contract right before the summer of 2010. I don't want to see May back either but if you sign him for one year and give him some minutes at backup PF then you could trade him to just about anybody trying to clear cap space for the free agents next summer.

Posted by: mp | Jun 11, 2009 5:05:58 AM

you all are too funny! sit back and watch me work......

Posted by: robert johnson | Jun 11, 2009 9:46:39 AM

May's been "working to finish up his degree" for what, eight years now? Impressive, that one is.

And if May isn't a success at this point, nothing's going to change in Charlotte. He's still going to eat too much, drink too much, dance too much, and generally be kept off the court because he's too lazy to get his weight down to the point where his joints can support him.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 11, 2009 11:00:00 AM

I honestly think he should have a chance to prove himself this contract year. If he continues to borderline being 260lbs like last year, I think the Cats should trade him and Nazr somewhere for a backup Power Forward. Hey Rick what are scouts saying about Josh Heytvelt and are the Bobcats even considering him? He has athleticism and skill for a big man and he rebounds the ball well.

Posted by: fakethis | Jun 12, 2009 12:37:03 PM

I think he would make an ideal Michelin Man. He could do personal visits at tire stores. He looks like the man in their ads. He has those rolls around his body and wouldn't need to buy the uniform. Offer him $150 to come back. I'd rather have Ben McCauley or Nivins or Pendergraph or Carroll. AS a UNC man, I'm embarrassed by May's lack of effort.

Posted by: jim carter | Jun 16, 2009 10:00:39 PM