« Curry shutting down workouts | Main | Kobe best-ever? Not quite yet »

June 13, 2009

Sounds like Curry going before NY

Davidson's Stephen Curry wants to be a Knick and the Knicks apparently are just as interested in Curry. But from what I'm hearing this weekend, it's unlikely Curry will last to New York's No. 8 pick in the June 25 draft.

A league source -- someone I trust to know these things -- said there's enough interest in Curry that he's more than likely to go third through seventh. The only players clearly ahead of Curry at this point are Oklahoma forward Blake Griffin and Connecticut center Hasheem Thabeet.

That same source believes four point guards -- Curry, Spain's Ricky Rubio, Syracuse's Jonny Flynn and (if you consider him a point) Memphis' Tyreke Evans -- could all go in the top eight.

An early run on point guards could affect the Bobcats' options with the No. 12 pick. This is unlikely, but I wonder if either Arizona power forward Jordan Hill or Arizona State shooting guard James Harden could last to the Bobcats' slot.

Posted by Observer Sports on June 13, 2009 at 04:44 PM | Permalink

Comments

"This is unlikely, but I wonder if either Arizona power forward Jordan Hill or Arizona State shooting guard James Harden could last to the Bobcats' slot."

Wouldn't that be something? If we were at 9th like last year I could see it, but either falling to 12th would be a real steal.

Are we bringing in any PGs Rick? Holiday maybe? Not that I'm wanting a PG as I consider that one of if not the strongest position for us...but I know how LB loves his PGs.

Posted by: spectre | Jun 13, 2009 5:24:38 PM

I anticipate Lawson and Flynn will come in and Holiday also makes sense. Point guard is so obviously the strength of the first round that you have to check these guys out, regardless of your roster.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Jun 13, 2009 5:27:14 PM

Snagging Jordan Hill at 12 would be sweet. Everybody needs to talk up Lawson, Hansbrough and Holiday some more. I mean, Hill is terrible, I'd much rather have Psycho T *wink*

Posted by: Bro. D | Jun 13, 2009 6:26:49 PM

Rick,
Regarding your story on Blair today, aside from wider wingspan, how much, if any, upgrade would he be over Sean May should the Bobcats decide to select him? If Blair's not a decided upgrade, I can't imagine they'd go that route with May already in hand (to some extent anyway)....and more pressing needs at two guard and point backup.

Posted by: Rome1960 | Jun 13, 2009 6:52:10 PM

Rome, Blair's actually shown the drive and ability to get his weight in control (down 35 pounds in just a few months.) That's WAY different than anything we've ever seen from Sean May.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 13, 2009 7:56:56 PM

i just hope that larry brown, and not jordan, is calling the shots for the draft.

Posted by: my2centsworth | Jun 13, 2009 8:01:51 PM

No worries about who is putting in more time on player prospects. LB will get the decision again this Draft (thank goodness).

Posted by: BlockParty | Jun 13, 2009 8:23:06 PM

IF CURRY GOES IN TOP THREE IT WILL GET SOME GM FIRED!

Posted by: Barry Washington | Jun 13, 2009 8:54:50 PM

Wow, Curry in the top 7. This really must be a weak draft.

Posted by: Pcon | Jun 13, 2009 9:35:19 PM

I would love for Curry to come to Charlotte! Its what the Bobcats need for some energy and local flavor!

Posted by: Malea | Jun 13, 2009 9:57:33 PM

Lebron said he wanted to play with Curry. Speculations that Lebron will go to NY. Curry wants to play in NY. I think he anticipates Lebron goinn to the Kicks. WHat do you all think?

Posted by: JustinG | Jun 13, 2009 10:20:40 PM

Curry is overrated!! He had the green light to shoot on a bad team. Curry is the same player as DJ Augustin. Both cannot guard anyone!! A GM will get fired if Curry is seleted 3rd.

Posted by: Chris | Jun 13, 2009 10:35:24 PM

so which TARHEEL are the Bobheels going after???

Posted by: Tim | Jun 13, 2009 11:19:19 PM

Rome,

Blair is a superior rebounder to May and just about everybody else on the planet. The Sean May of April 2005 was likely a better all-around player. But that version of May is simply gone. Sean is done contributing in the NBA as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: DeLaQuest | Jun 13, 2009 11:44:29 PM

One aspect of Curry's game I've always liked has been his aggressive defense... I still think he could be better suited to play the 2 in the NBA even though many have him set at point... he played his best ball IMHO when he was playing the 2 at Davidson with Jason Richards dishing the ball. He's a great shooter, aggressive, and he'd sell tickets in a big way. But, there's no way we'll get him unless we trade way up.

And, I'm a big tarheel fan, but I actually wouldn't mind Gerald Henderson at 12. I think he's the prototype Larry Brown player... he'd be servicable for our needs at the 2.

Posted by: Shane | Jun 14, 2009 12:14:44 AM

DelaQuest I agree with you 100% Gerald would be a great pick but I bet we pass on him for a Big Man or point guard just like we did last year when we passed on the 7'0 foot kid out of Stanford. Henderson plays good hard defense and is an explosive scorer from the perimeter and driving to the basket. I would consider him a poor mans D. Wade at this point in his career.

Posted by: Born_ah_heel | Jun 14, 2009 2:16:03 AM

Blair would be a bad pick. His game is limited too five feet from the basket. What power forward has been effective without a mid range jumpshot? He got two bad knees already and a weight problem. These red flags become issues in years 3-5. I think we should resign Sean May for the one year extension and draft Terrence Willams from Louisville. He can play three positions. We need a 3rd point guard, backup shooting guard and small forward. Williams has the ability to be an impact player because of his defense and all-around game which I believe is perfect for the Bobcats.

Posted by: B.Harris | Jun 14, 2009 7:55:37 AM

Remember , always draft best talent possible , not for a need!!! GoLDEN RULE!!!!!!!

Posted by: fdfd | Jun 14, 2009 12:47:43 PM

Malea, we've got plenty of "local flavor." It hasn't gotten us anywhere. It's time to make decisions based on basketball, not selling tickets.

BH, quit with the "weight problem" business. People who have the ability and the wherewithal to lose 35 pounds in a few months time will be just fine keeping their weight in control, particularly once they get pro money and access to a pro team's trainers and nutritionists.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 14, 2009 1:32:58 PM

What if we were able to get t williams and e clark in the draft? How would you fill about that?

Posted by: mrtarheel | Jun 14, 2009 3:15:53 PM

I hate you all!

Posted by: ME | Jun 14, 2009 7:33:48 PM

Anyone but Gerald Henderson. Move up and take Thabeet!

Posted by: Panthers Super Fan | Jun 14, 2009 7:46:28 PM

I can't believe the hypocrisy over Blair. I admit that losing 40 pounds in the short span is impressive, but if Blair was wearing light blue none of that would matter. Instead of excusing the guy people would be ripping his heart out.

There are plenty of players at number 12 who won't have weight as an issue. The guy is at an age where his metabolism is at it's best, and it's only going down hill as he ages. The guy is still 275 on a 6'5 frame. If May's knees couldn't hold up why should we assume Blair's can?

I hope Blair does well because he's a great player, but ignoring the warning signs is just stupid. After all the "I told you so" comments about May, how can we have the same people (Procton) excusing Blair for the same weight and knee problems.

275 on a 6'5 frame is not going to hold up in the NBA. If he can get down to a healthy weight and maintain it, then sure he's a great player. But we should all be aware that there's no guarantee.

Posted by: Bobby | Jun 15, 2009 9:50:48 AM

Because, again, May sank HIS OWN career by choosing to eat, drink, and dance, rather than dedicate himself to conditioning and nutrition. Blair has lost more weight in the last few months than May has been able to do in the last four years.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 15, 2009 9:54:42 AM

Bc procton says it, it's true. Can't forget that.

I don't like henderson, bc I think the bcats could duplicate everything he brings in the 2nd round. Paul Harris anyone?

I like Blair, but scouts have said that the condition of his knees are "terrible". Why take that chance?

If we get Paul Harris and Dionte Christmas in the 2nd round, I don't care what we do with the first pick. I'd think those two and getting rid of Nazr's contract would be a pretty darn good draft.

If no takers, then, despite all the negative connotations, Tyler and those other two picks would be a great draft for the bcats.

Posted by: A Fan | Jun 15, 2009 10:29:55 AM

Exactly Procton. We don't know what Blair will do. We know he loves to eat. We know he's knees are a concern. We know that past players have chosen not to condition themselves properly. We know that Blair let himself get up well over 300 pounds.

We don't know what he'll do in the future, but we do have some red flags. You take the good and ignore the bad.

Posted by: Bobby | Jun 15, 2009 10:43:50 AM

Really? The Paul Harris who only scored 12 PPG for an inferior Syracuse team and is a worse outside shooter even than Henderson? He's a better rebounder, sure, but that's the only area he's better than Henderson, and that's not a reason to call him as good or better as a shooting guard.

Also, none of us have seen any medical history on Blair, thus all we can go on is his playing ability and verifiable facts (like his weight loss and his durability through college even after his high school injuries.) If the Bobcats don't like his knees, they obviously won't draft him.

And wasn't Henderson's bench press performance a red flag for you? Christmas did three reps, less than half what Gerald managed. He was also shut down in consecutive years by none other than...Gerald Henderson (5-15 in a 73-55 loss in '07, 5-16 in a 74-64 loss in '08.)

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 15, 2009 11:36:28 AM

Procton said: May sank HIS OWN career by choosing to eat, drink, and dance, rather than dedicate himself to conditioning and nutrition.

"Sean May had two micro-fracture knee surgery's. His weight was a product of being on crutches and not being able to do anything physical. You find us one athlete that doesn't eat, drink and dance and what you will find is a bunch of non-athletic couch potato, arm-chair quarterbacks like you seem to be. Find another topic to criticize.

Posted by: Jimmy | Jun 15, 2009 2:25:53 PM

Any chance we get a shot at Earl Clark?

Posted by: HL | Jun 15, 2009 3:37:59 PM

Why havent Charlotte mentioned Earl Clark or Terrance Williams of Louisville ? Not to mention that freshman out of USC..please dont let this be another bad draft year ala Adam Morrison>>>>

Posted by: Rim | Jun 15, 2009 9:42:03 PM

Blair would be a major upgrade to May if he could show up in NBA shape and not miss the entire season.

Posted by: Ryan, Greenville NC | Jun 16, 2009 1:13:35 AM