« Bobcats will face Okafor in exhibition | Main | Brown: 2 obstacles to signing Iverson »

August 19, 2009

Johnson might pull team off the market

How's this for a new twist to the story that never ends: Now I'm hearing Bob Johnson might take the Charlotte Bobcats off the market.

I don't think a final decision has been made, but it sounds like Johnson has misgivings, either about whether to sell or what he's been offered. So it's possible he'll still own controlling interest when the season starts this fall.

Posted by Observer Sports on August 19, 2009 at 01:58 PM | Permalink

Comments

Noooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Erik | Aug 19, 2009 2:05:45 PM

Come on Bob. Cut your losses and give us an owner that knows how to run the franchise. Go Cats!

Posted by: PantherDave | Aug 19, 2009 2:13:52 PM

Yesssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Derik | Aug 19, 2009 2:14:21 PM

Drop the beer prices!!!

Posted by: panfan1 | Aug 19, 2009 2:21:28 PM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

NO....PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Posted by: RobC | Aug 19, 2009 2:31:14 PM

Can Bob pull the Boobiecats out of Charlotte!!!!

Posted by: yo yo yo! | Aug 19, 2009 2:32:08 PM

Pretty Funny! yo yo yo!

Posted by: panfan1 | Aug 19, 2009 2:33:43 PM

I am from Charlotte and I use to go to the Hornets games before it became to yo yo rap for me and bad ownership. I have never gone to a Bobcats game because of a money hungrey owner. The team is like the Detroit lions. Never wanting to spend the big money, just be competive to bring in the fans, money. Bob needs to go back to the rock that he crawled out. Wow, just think if the ownership was Bird and his group.

Posted by: Jeb | Aug 19, 2009 2:42:46 PM

They're close to signing AI. Bob probably wants to see how that affects ticket sales.

Posted by: apauldds | Aug 19, 2009 2:45:30 PM

To panfan1:

I love how you are one of the first people to criticize the Bobcats, yet you admit that you have never even been to a game.

I agree, the team should spend more, but they are heading in the right direction. I don't like Bob Johnson either...what an ego on that guy.

I just love what Larry Bird has done with the Pacers.

Posted by: Drew | Aug 19, 2009 2:49:20 PM

I hope they don't sign A I

Posted by: TIMMYT | Aug 19, 2009 2:49:57 PM

Rick, I've been very supportive of you and have been deeply appreciated the news and information. However, this is an example of managing through the media that has become the norm in pro sports these days. Don't you find it a little odd that you come out with a large piece that gets picked up everywhere and then that very afternoon you hear just the opposite? I hate to say this but it appears that you are being used in the process the same way an agent uses the media to drum up interest for his player. That is the only way to describe the conflicting articles unless of course you didn't do the appropriate diligence, which I doubt is the case.

Posted by: Felton for Pres | Aug 19, 2009 3:18:12 PM

All I know is whoever buys the Bobcats, they better ensure LB stays, or else it will be a total disaster.

Posted by: Ari | Aug 19, 2009 3:27:12 PM

I just heard that he's selling the team to Europe: http://www.bobcatsbaseline.com/blog/?p=1120&cpage=1#comment-5024

Posted by: Deesdale | Aug 19, 2009 3:30:23 PM

Say it ain't so!

You mean we traded Emeka to reduce liabilities and now Bob may not sell the team?

WHAT????

Posted by: bobfan1 | Aug 19, 2009 6:21:51 PM

Good job , Ricl:))

Posted by: gfgfgf | Aug 19, 2009 7:32:27 PM

Pack your bags and move back to DC, Bob! You can't run the Bobcats like B.E.T. and expect to make a profit. If you do, we'll never win a NBA Championship. Tight-wad businessmen don't need to own a NBA team. It should be considered a passion and hobby! Get the f-U-C-K out of here Bob!

Posted by: Dion | Aug 19, 2009 9:00:49 PM

Can someone explain to me why people keep saying he dont spend money? then all the rap and yo yo yo references, I mean isnt hip hop everywhere I mean dont when I see games on tv I hear hip hop music. And the BET thing tell how he went wrong on that, when you sell it for a billion dollars. DONT HATE THE PLAYA HATE THE GAME!!!!

Posted by: Bob Johnson Distant Cousin | Aug 20, 2009 4:17:44 PM

Bob Johnson needs to do the prudent thing, and sell this team to an owner, or group of owners, that will do everything possible to make this franchise successful.

When you as an owner place a higher emphasis on an equestrian event taking place in your arena, than having your team playing home games in said arena at the end of the year, it's obvious where your interests lie.

Posted by: heelatious | Aug 20, 2009 6:36:09 PM

Why is it that so many people would prefer Bird over Johnson as an owner? What has he done that is so great in Indiana? How many Championships has the team won under his watch? How many playoff appearances have they made? What was their record over the last several years compared to the Bobcats?

Let’s face it. Half the people in Charlotte don't like Johnson because of his race. You wanted Bird over Johnson as an owner because of his race.

If you are going to hate on the man, please have to nerve to state why you really hate him and stop using Bird as an excuse.

Racists!!!!