« On Pietrus, Felton and money | Main | Brown may present Robinson »

August 11, 2009

Like Hornets, Bobcats choose pinstripes

Bobcatsuninew

It's not 1988 anymore, and it's no longer the Hornets, but pinstripes are back for the local NBA team.

Entering season No. 6, the Charlotte Bobcats are changing their uniforms.

Based on a jersey worn by rookie Gerald Henderson (above right), the new style will include orange pinstripes on the white home uniforms. The design became public about a month before the team intended, when a trading-card company released a video of rookie photo-shoots.

Bobcats spokesman B.J. Evans said the team is still doing a final review of the new look, but that the Henderson picture is as "close as it's going to get'' to how they'll appear. The road uniforms will use blue (rather than orange) as the primary color; the team has been transitioning that way since introducing a blue "alternative'' road uniform a couple of years ago.

The then-Charlotte Hornets introduced teal-pinstriped jerseys when they debuted here in '88. At the time, those pinstripes were distrinctive in basketball. The now-New Orleans Hornets have returned to that look.

Posted by Observer Sports on August 11, 2009 at 04:26 PM | Permalink

Comments

I guess it doesn't look too bad..
I liked the brighter color orange on the old jerseys though..

Posted by: MG | Aug 11, 2009 4:52:48 PM

Wow! Now they'll be contenders!

Posted by: Jon Golden | Aug 11, 2009 4:53:22 PM

Any word on the change of ownership possibilities? Scratching the orange jerseys is a good move.

Posted by: DNYCE | Aug 11, 2009 4:53:27 PM

Just looks like the Wizards color scheme now

Posted by: MG | Aug 11, 2009 5:00:56 PM

I didn't mind the orange jerseys, they gave the team a distinctive look without being too weird. The orange was dark enough to not be over the top.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 11, 2009 5:03:45 PM

I like it..Should say Charlotte in the front instead of Bobcats. But I'm liking the jers

Posted by: SpoonieLuv | Aug 11, 2009 5:04:36 PM

I saw this picture (properly cited) on QC Sports Blog earlier today. Dirty pool, Ricky.

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 11, 2009 5:07:57 PM

They should have made it an even amount of Duke/ UNC colors! That would have been nice!

Posted by: Duston | Aug 11, 2009 5:10:04 PM

I like the new look. I like the orange home but not the blue!

Posted by: panfan1 | Aug 11, 2009 5:16:15 PM

I have to say, I really like this look. The old Bobcats jerseys were too generic looking to me. I also like the blue as well that they've used the last couple of years. Will be interesting to see how this look for the away jersey. I must say, it might even entice me to finally buy a 'Cats jersey!

Posted by: PantherDave | Aug 11, 2009 5:17:58 PM

Darn! Now what am I going to do with all my orange team apparel?

Posted by: Woody Christian | Aug 11, 2009 5:33:01 PM

what about orange and pinstripes...then they'll match the jail systems idea. Most of them should feel comfortable in that!

Posted by: kenny powers | Aug 11, 2009 5:33:52 PM

do people not realize that ever since the introduction of the blue jerseys that our team has been trying to become the hornets?

not that i have a problem with it or anyting, but first the blue (like the hornets blue/teal), then the charlotte script on the nascar and green week jerseys, and now the pinstripes.
this is screaming hornets.
but i think i like it. id like to see how the orange "alternate"(?) would look now.

i had gotten word of the new unis a couple of years ago while talking to my ticket rep.... but i never thought it would happen.........

Posted by: reggie Gallant | Aug 11, 2009 5:35:01 PM

spoonieluv, the road unis usually have the city listed while the home (usually white) unis list the mascot.

Posted by: Hugokid | Aug 11, 2009 5:44:56 PM

Get rid of Rufus and we will have a real franchise.

Posted by: super hugo | Aug 11, 2009 5:50:01 PM

^Agree on the Rufus post. Kids like basketball players who are talented and charismatic role models (not party-dude bears named after George Carlin's character on Bill and Ted's Excellent Journey). Plus, Rufus would look even sillier in blue.

Posted by: Spoofus | Aug 11, 2009 6:17:44 PM

I like to the new uniforms. The old blue ones were cool, but the orange uniforms should have been burned a long time ago.

Kenny Powers, you're an idiot.

Posted by: QC King | Aug 11, 2009 6:57:28 PM

I love the new uniforms. I wanna see what the blue road jerseys look like. They'll have "Charlotte" on them and should look phat. About time they got away from that gaudy street-ballin' look.

Posted by: Dion | Aug 11, 2009 8:00:57 PM

I'm feeling the new uniforms. I agree though that the old orange ones should have been up in flames a long time ago.

I think it's time for the Panthers to update their uni's....Everyone else has.

Posted by: fasteddie | Aug 11, 2009 8:07:05 PM

i like the new jerseys. i might actually buy one now. the orange jerseys looked like something theprison basketball league would wear.. and i agree with dion, the panthers do need some new jerseys.

Posted by: chris | Aug 11, 2009 8:16:46 PM

Rick and the Observer,

why does the qc sports blog courtesy where that pic came from but you don't?!?!

seems a bit shady...

Posted by: steve | Aug 11, 2009 8:28:37 PM

This is awesome. I will totally by a jersey now. Always wanted a bobcats jers but couldnt bring myself to buy one of the ugly orange one's. Great move Bobcats!

Posted by: Jon | Aug 11, 2009 9:47:01 PM

Steve:
I don't know what the "QC Sports Blog'' is. A reader emailed me a picture this morning and it took a few hours to reach the appropriate people at the Bobcats to confirm whether that was, in fact, a new uniform and not some photo-shop joke.
I'm happy to credit other outlets when they report something first. You'll notice, for instance, that I credited L'Equipe, the French sports daily, with originally reporting that the Bobcats are interested in Mickael Pietrus' brother.
But, seriously, I never heard of something called "QC Sports Blog'' until I read your post.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Aug 11, 2009 9:52:07 PM

Like the new uniforms. Kind of looks like the Orlando home jersey, but I still like it.

And the Panthers don't need to change a thing about their jerseys, although I wouldn't mind seeing another alternate, like that all black mock up that circulated last year with the black helmet.

Posted by: Matt Privett | Aug 11, 2009 10:01:40 PM

Thanks for the response Rick.

Check out the site: http://qcsportsblog.com/

The guy does a pretty good job.

Posted by: steve | Aug 11, 2009 10:26:49 PM

The other guy in that picture is a better bball player.

Posted by: C | Aug 12, 2009 4:33:49 AM

The uniforms definitely should have "Charlotte" on the front. Home and away.

Posted by: Chris | Aug 12, 2009 7:51:17 AM

The real question begs to differ if Wayne is telling Gerald in this picture about how much Carolina owned his team back in college....

Posted by: Izzy | Aug 12, 2009 8:36:41 AM

Distrinctive? Did you go to Carolina?

Posted by: scott | Aug 12, 2009 8:38:21 AM

Steve,

I sent the leaked picture to Rick yesterday, I found it on a sports forum I frequent.

Posted by: Artrip | Aug 12, 2009 8:41:54 AM

its only a jersey.. better jersey does not mean better team, fans, cheaper seats, better fans, city, owner (even though I have nothing against its current owner). Maybe we (I'm not a fan of the Bobcat's) had to make a trade SEAN "CORNBREAD" MAY for better jersey's... LMAO!!! :)

Posted by: tampa-fan-N-pnthr-Land | Aug 12, 2009 8:51:10 AM

Did I mention better fans, and team.. now i'm really LMAO!!!!! GO BOOBYCAT.

Posted by: tampa-fan-N-pnthr-Land | Aug 12, 2009 8:52:17 AM

Steve,

I sent the leaked picture to Rick yesterday, I found it in a Sports forum I frequent.

Posted by: Artrip | Aug 12, 2009 8:54:16 AM

double post, sorry.

Posted by: Artrip | Aug 12, 2009 8:55:01 AM

Looking good bobcats!

Posted by: Dave | Aug 12, 2009 9:07:48 AM

There's an NBA team in Charlotte? Who knew?

Posted by: TP | Aug 12, 2009 9:39:56 AM

I woke up this morning thinking about how much more I like these new uniforms. They look pretty stellar. Anxious to see how the "away" one looks. As for the Panthers, I think their are find just the way they are. They are very unique and don't need to be changed!

Posted by: PantherDave | Aug 12, 2009 9:43:55 AM

I hope I get to wear one of these.

Posted by: Sean May | Aug 12, 2009 9:48:42 AM

Looks like someone is putting on their Sunday Best for a presentation! The first thing I thought when I read this article is whether this uniform change had anything to do with a suggestion fielded from a potential buyer. I guess time will tell...

Posted by: Newsinz | Aug 12, 2009 9:58:23 AM

SWEET!!!

Posted by: Bobcat Terry | Aug 12, 2009 10:14:36 AM

Does anyone have info on what the new ownership might look like? Will MJ be the new Majority owner and will Larry Brown be apart of the group and/or become managing partner or president of the Bobcats?

Posted by: Trublucatfan | Aug 12, 2009 10:26:00 AM

Love the jerseys. Saw them last year while working for the team and was mad they werent using them for last season. Finally we don't look like an NBA DL team. They look really, really good.

Posted by: jon | Aug 12, 2009 10:46:45 AM

Replace the name 'Bob's Cats' with 'Charlotte' and I might think about buying one.

Posted by: smartestbloggerever | Aug 12, 2009 12:17:31 PM

looks a bit like the magic jersey to me...

Posted by: snyde | Aug 12, 2009 1:03:16 PM

magic's*

Posted by: snyde | Aug 12, 2009 1:03:26 PM

looks a bit like the magic's jerseys to me

Posted by: snyde | Aug 12, 2009 1:03:43 PM

Prison inmates wear stripes as well. How fitting....

Posted by: Quixotry | Aug 12, 2009 2:24:39 PM

I like them, but the resemblance to the Magic's unis is uncanny.

Posted by: Vega | Aug 12, 2009 3:55:14 PM

Shouldn't say Charlotte. White (home) has the team name and the Dark (Road) has the city name. Makes sense if you think about it....

Posted by: Jackmouve | Aug 12, 2009 8:00:41 PM

they do look like orlando's a bit though..... id like to keep the orange because its original.

Posted by: reggie Gallant | Aug 12, 2009 8:38:03 PM

Looks like the hawks...
Go Bobcats!!!

Posted by: bobcat fan d | Aug 12, 2009 10:56:08 PM

looks like the magic unis...

Posted by: ntmid8 | Aug 13, 2009 12:35:55 AM

looks like the magic unis...

Posted by: ntmid8 | Aug 13, 2009 12:35:57 AM

QC SPORTS BLOG RULES!

Posted by: ASChin | Aug 13, 2009 1:15:25 AM

...

Posted by: tampa-fan-N-pnthr-Land | Aug 13, 2009 9:05:23 AM

Gallant...this has nothing to do with trying to be the Hornets. This team would do anything possible to separate themselves from the Hornets. Many other teams have (or did have) unis with pinstripes (Pacers, Magic, just to name two).

Posted by: Sascol | Aug 13, 2009 1:35:22 PM

You'd think they would do a little more to make it look different than orlando's jersey other than put bobcats on it and add two stripes

Posted by: andrew | Aug 13, 2009 5:32:19 PM

Jersey color scheme looks a bit nicer...now we could just get a different team name across the chest to go with the new look!

Posted by: DWS44 | Aug 13, 2009 11:17:59 PM

Why go to blue as the away? We were unique with the orange! I like the new jersey look but they need one in orange!

Posted by: Bcats | Aug 14, 2009 1:59:42 AM

they look like the lettering of the magic and the make-up of the hawks....but still pretty raw

Posted by: steven | Aug 14, 2009 8:41:55 PM

Even if you put lipstick on a pig...it's still a pig. Until BETbob is gone & MJ goes MIA permanently, the franchise will never be a success.

Posted by: BIG MAC | Aug 15, 2009 11:18:28 PM

Super hugo and Spoofus - you guys stink. I'm AWESOME!

Posted by: Rufus | Aug 16, 2009 9:13:19 AM

I really like this design. Looking forward to seeing the away jersey.

Posted by: ND | Aug 16, 2009 2:49:00 PM

The Bobcats should hsve been the Charlotte Flight from Day 1. I was lucky enough to sit in a focus group back in 2003 when the team showed us names, sketches and uniform concepts. Some company called Gameplan had created the designs.

The had Charlotte Flight logos and they were great. The colors we're close to Carolina blue, black and a touch of orange.
Great looking uniforms. Clean, slick, and contemporary.

When the current name and unis were unveiled I was shocked... Bobcats? Terrible.

Things went downhill ever since.

Posted by: Christian Gloverc | Aug 18, 2009 9:52:02 PM

The new Bobcats uniforms look b-o-r-i-n-g. If we were a baseball team, they'd suffice, but a dull typefont, pinstripes (hello MLB), and a silly overly busy collar is a fashion disaster.

Come on, the orange designs, as bold as they were felt very "NBA" to me. Flashy, funky and a little far out compliment the game...

I for one am going to miss the orange...it was original and was becoming our brand ID.

Another dumb move from BET Bob.

Posted by: Gene Mooren | Aug 18, 2009 9:59:49 PM

I like the new pinstripe design, but they should keep the road unis orange. Like someone already said, it's a more distinctive color.

Posted by: Eric | Sep 15, 2009 1:30:11 AM

dude rufus is awesome...He beats up people at games haha. He tackled this one lakers fan and ripped up his sign

Posted by: BETcats | Sep 28, 2009 2:29:11 PM