« Jackson's parting shots at Warriors | Main | Innocent Bobcats? Not anymore »

November 16, 2009

Brown on Iverson-Grizzlies split

Since you asked....

Yes, Allen Iverson's people reached out to Bobcats coach Larry Brown Monday when Iverson and the Memphis Grizzlies parted ways less than a month into the NBA season. So naturally you're asking, any chance of Iverson ending up a Bobcat?

Put it this way: For that to happen, there'd have to be some other, potentially significant, roster moves, Brown said this wouldn't work unless he knew Iverson would be at least a top-three guard in Charlotte's rotation. And right now, that wouldn't necessarily be the case.

Don't misconstrue what I just wrote: The issue isn't whether Iverson might be a top-three guard here, but whether Brown could ascertain that. The Memphis experience confirmed what pretty much everyone in the NBA already knew: Iverson can't handle being anything but a star wherever he goes. And when AI is unhappy, everyone else suffers.

Posted by Observer Sports on November 16, 2009 at 11:44 PM | Permalink

Comments

I don't think we need AI, I think Jax is going to fit in very well. Felton, Flip, Jax, Wallace, and Diaw is a *very* competitive small ball line-up. All we need now is a low-post banger and I'd say playoffs is a very real possibility. Hopefully Tyson gets in form soon.

Posted by: Bro D. | Nov 16, 2009 11:53:59 PM

This would only happen if we get rid of Felton or DJ. Not that I would necessarily mind one of those scenarios given their play of late. I'd say that if Higgins can get someone to do a package deal to send Felton or DJ along with an ugly contract (preferably Diop over Nazr), then AI would be a possibility. Someone would really have to want one of those two point guards though to accept the other bad contract. Just don't see it happening.

Posted by: EricH | Nov 16, 2009 11:55:30 PM

On the other hand, could we give him one of those 6 day contracts for fun to see what happens and sell some tickets for a week?

Posted by: EricH | Nov 16, 2009 11:56:43 PM

Ding...Ding...Ding...
Eric, you nailed it. Turn over all the cards. If the Bobcats could find such a deal (highly unlikely) where someone pays a ridiculous salary-cap price in return for Felton or Augustin, then something interesting could happen. But don't bet on that happening

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Nov 17, 2009 12:03:42 AM

I don't understand why a lousy scoring team such as the Bobcats doesn't jump on this opportunity. I'm all for building for the future, but what is it really??? Felton? I like Augustine, but he's really struggling.

I think Iverson has been given a bum rap. I say bring him in & start him at point guard & see what happens. Seriously, worse case scenario we lose 50 games. Oh wait, isn't that par for the course????

Posted by: Vijay | Nov 17, 2009 1:39:06 AM

I would still bring Iverson in already. Maybe find a taker for Flip Murray if possible, but in any event with Iverson added, scoring, which had been such a liabilty for so long, almost becomes another luxury to go along with a relatively solid defense. A playoff run also becomes a very realistic possibility. Quite frankly, I see an AI reunion with Brown as Iverson's last chance anyway. Who else would take a flier on him now after his last two stints with Detroit and Memphis? And if he can't make it work with LB, you just cut your losses quickly, like Memphis, and AI calls it a career. It could be a no lose situation.

Posted by: Ari | Nov 17, 2009 2:58:51 AM

Oh, and by the way, I still see AI as a top 3 shooting guard on the Bobcats. Maybe not at point, but definitely at the two guard, which is what Iverson's always really been his whole career anyway. You should be able to sprinkle in enough minutes to make him happy, for a while anyway.

Posted by: Ari | Nov 17, 2009 3:01:58 AM

Bring him! I am buying tickets

Posted by: bigguns | Nov 17, 2009 4:59:46 AM

Sent DJ to D-league. His confidence is shattered and more playing time would make him a better player. Raymond just can't shoot the ball and makes way too many turnovers. Bring A.I. in to play point guard!

Posted by: mtnbuddy | Nov 17, 2009 6:20:07 AM

I think its time to trade felton....he cant shoot..he just cannot shoot

Posted by: Lovejonez | Nov 17, 2009 6:31:25 AM

Sent DJ to D-league. His confidence is shattered and more playing time would make him a better player. Raymond can't shoot the ball and makes way too many turnovers. Bring A.I. in to play point guard !

Posted by: mtnbuddy | Nov 17, 2009 6:31:39 AM

Bring in AI

Posted by: Lovejonez | Nov 17, 2009 6:31:47 AM

Bringing in A.I. after the jackson trade would give this team the biggest buzz ever and sell soooooo many tickets!

Posted by: snowman3 | Nov 17, 2009 7:04:30 AM

Can you imagine a timeout huddle with Jackson and Iverson in the middle screaming at each other and the rest of the team that they aren't getting the ball enough? Yeah, I guess people would pay to see that. That's what basketball is all about. Give me a break.

Posted by: Doc | Nov 17, 2009 7:09:15 AM

I'm a philly fan who lived in Philly for a good portion of Bubba Chuck's (AI) career there. I most definitely have a love/hate relationship with the little man. ONE thing is for sure, he DID NOT get a bad rap. He smoked blunts in clubs, would drink till 4 in the morning, not show up for practice (we all remember his practice rant) and utilized his potential as poorly as it could be used....until he stepped on the floor. Hardest worker when he was in the game, work ethic that would get him fired from a union job off the court. He also just isn't the player he used to be, granted he could still drop 50, but he just isn't as good as he was. Bring him in though, it'll translate to more ticket sales, and probably won't help them win so they can continue on the path to the lottery.

Posted by: Greg | Nov 17, 2009 7:15:05 AM

Iverson as a scorer > Felton or DJ

I dont see the issue. We just aquired a SG/SF known for his ability create shots and looks for others. We have a PF that is one of the top passing PF's in the league.

To me it seems that Iverson can play PG in this offense without even stressing about distribution. And our biggest issue...scoring...well I dont think AI is a slouch in that department. DJ and Ray have both been struggling to get it going.

Yes there are issues raised when bringing this type of player in. However, after trading for Jax yesterday...it seems that the Charlotte Bobcats are willing to take this chance.

To me we could benefit from more point production at the point. Especially to offset the lack of production we are getting out of Chandler at Center.

Posted by: eleaf14 | Nov 17, 2009 7:42:01 AM

Iverson is the missing piece along with a rebounding power forward. Trade Felton or Augustine for a rebounder. Wallace can't continue to do all the rebounding. If they can do that with Iverson, Flip, and Jax, we could be alright. Hopefully Brown will start Mo till Chan get healthy. If we can find a rebounder with a lil blocking, lookout. Flip 30 plus last night and you talking bout trade him, who gone come off the bench. We can also trade Law or Graham to. Just need a productive PF. Like a brandon bass.

Posted by: Dherac | Nov 17, 2009 7:52:15 AM

Ditch Felton. He can't run the point. He's taking 23 seconds to pretend that he can and 1 second for someone to take a last minute shot... He's gotten by on his luck this long. Fact is, a great player can draw the foul AND finish a shot. Felton (or Wallace or DJ or even Chandler) can finish on a foul. And Felton's turnovers are a real casualty.
AI, Jax, Wallace, Diaw, Chandler. Yessir.

Posted by: Onandonandon | Nov 17, 2009 8:04:53 AM

EDIT, should have read: Felton (or Wallace or DJ or even Chandler) CAN'T finish on a foul. And Felton's turnovers are a real casualty.

Posted by: Onandonandon | Nov 17, 2009 8:05:52 AM

i can bust everybody's bubbles right now.....nobody is taking diop or mohommed's contracts off the books. right now the more likely is a deal involving one of the guards and one of the 3 guys that play the same spot (wallace, jackson, and diaw). To be honest the only thing that makes sense is basically giving away felton as a backup 1 to a contender that needs depth at the one and i think felton has to sign off on the trade. nobody is taking on salaries right now and we don't have anybody that anybody wants except maybe gerald wallace and maybe one of the young'ns but moving the young'ns isn't going to help nor is it going to clear much room.

thats why everybody in the league is laughing at us right now for taking jackson's contract. it only makes sense if we were already planning on moving it to somewhere else where there was a deal golden state turned down that we like. iverson is more help than jackson. as I see it right now.....DJ hasn't shown up this year so iverson is necessary.

Posted by: charlottean | Nov 17, 2009 8:48:01 AM

Good comments.....this indicate that there are people around here who wants to see this team succeed. Good outlook!

I think Felton is a good leader, but tell me something, this guy is committing lot of turnovers per game. I mean his decisions on plays are so ineffective. I wouldn't advocate his trade, but if we can get something and do away with the status quo, that will be good.

AI for the Bobcats, forget it. He's not going to be happy here and the problem he has is "selfishness." Once he can realize that, his game will continue or else, retirement is the best option for him. He have lot of money and he can venture into something else.

DJ....I mean this guy is struggling badly and he needs some mentoring. He's a good shooter, but of late he has struggle as well. His game need serious tune-up.

Posted by: nunu | Nov 17, 2009 9:14:35 AM

I'm 50/50 on this Allen Iverson thing. He can help you, but he can also hurt you. I believe Stephen Jackson (especially at 28) is the better player and should be starting at the 2, with gerald at 3. Now that leaves us with AC Law, Raymond, DJ, And Iverson. That's just way to crowded. At this point, there's no room for him now. But who knows whats goign through Larry Brown's head as far as these roster moves are concerned!

Posted by: Smitty | Nov 17, 2009 9:30:47 AM

I'd love to see AI here, but just like Rick said, I don't see it happening unless another major move it made (and IF that happens, it needs to be Felton). Problem is, I think too many GMs out there have seen Felton play...and I don't think anyone will want him right now!! Turnovers are killing us, and he's causing 70% of them...he's too out of control to run the point for this team right now. I'm good getting some role/bench players for him, maybe a pick, and sliding DJ into the starting five, and seeing what Law can do backing up DJ.

Posted by: justin | Nov 17, 2009 9:59:23 AM

Clearing up some errors in the comments

Jackson is 31.

Jackson is a SG/SF
Wallace is a SF/PF but really undersized to play PF
Diaw is a PF and too slow to play SF.

They don't play the same position.

Posted by: Greg | Nov 17, 2009 10:00:45 AM

The bobcats have always had a good team but that Okafor trade was dumb, they needed him to be there for his consistency and to make the playoffs this year. They can still try but I would like to see Ajinca play more and Henderson as well. But not sure if AI is the answer for this team.

Posted by: Hater Hater | Nov 17, 2009 10:46:57 AM

Sounds to me like AI really wants to play for Larry again. He had no such connections in Memphis. I think if Larry had a good sit-down with AI and explained the situation here - that he may or may not start, but that there is plenty of room for him to contribute - might placate him some, since it seems like he really wants to play for Larry.

I think sending DJ to the D-league might not be a bad idea. We're not going to be able to trade those 2 bad contracts.

Could someone refresh my memory... Why in God's name did we trade Matt Carrol for Diop anyway?????????

Posted by: J | Nov 17, 2009 10:52:06 AM

yeah the bobcats need star power to sell tickets and though A I is not what he once was nobody is buying up tickets to see stephen jackson, gerald wallace, or boris diaw...if you could just get the man to pass the damn ball he would be a great fit for charlotte....

Posted by: rjk | Nov 17, 2009 10:56:39 AM

AI would help sell tickets!!! Having Jackson/AI/Wallace would finally bring some national media attention. With the Bobcats shown to be active/willing to take risks in the NBA, maybe we can get interest from a decent owner!?!?!?!

Posted by: Miller | Nov 17, 2009 11:12:44 AM

I think we should trade DJ for a 2nd round pick in the next draft, and pick up AI. Truth be told, we need butts in the seats, and some National exposure. If Larry Brown was not here, I'd trash the thought.

Posted by: John | Nov 17, 2009 12:00:18 PM

Ok, this franchise needs something. Bring in AI and see what happens!!

Posted by: STH | Nov 17, 2009 12:44:12 PM

stop lying to yourself they are all 6-7/6-8ish small forwards with slightly different games. diaw has always been listed as a 4/5 in his career because he's too slow to guard the 3. that doesn't make him a 4. he can't really guard the 4 either. brandan bass absolutely ran a shooting drill on him last week.

they're all 3's. jackson hasn't played the 2 in his life.
jersey...kendall gill
san antonio..steve smith/manu ginobli
atlanta...jason terry
indiana...reggie miller
golden state...ellis, morrow, azubuike, etc.

you can say they don't play the same game but they damn sure are all the same position. we can make it work cause they aren't all pg's or C's but its still unconventional as all get out.

Posted by: charlottean | Nov 17, 2009 12:56:10 PM

Bring in AI, get rid of Felton. AI can lead DJ and Acie along. Send Felton and Diop to the first team willing to take them!

Posted by: CatsFan | Nov 17, 2009 1:14:29 PM

Trade Felton for PF that has something resembling a post up game and sign AI to play the point. He doesn't have to get 40 minutes a game. Give him about 30 minutes and let DJ stay as a backup. He's still young and probably not quite ready to be handed the starting job. I imagine he'll turn into a better player than Felton has become.

With a starting lineup of AI, S-Jax, Crash, Diaw and Chandler, we could potentially make some noise and get into the playoffs. We would still have a good defensive team, with AI being the only weak link. Ray and DJ are runts too, so we're not going to have a defensive PG on the floor either way.

May just be wishful thinking on my part, and it's not a long term fix, but it might get us in the playoffs this season. That's better than anything else we've managed to do so far1

Posted by: Smitty | Nov 17, 2009 1:14:50 PM

Re-package Jackson and Nazr to Cleveland for Ilguaskas.

Cleveland wanted Jack before, Nazr becomes their backup center, and Cats get Big Z and his expiring $11.5 million contract.

Posted by: mcap | Nov 17, 2009 1:15:00 PM

Get a smart player so Gerald Henderson will have someone to talk to on the bench. Come on, Larry! Use Henderson!

Posted by: CatsFan | Nov 17, 2009 1:15:35 PM

AI is scoring 12 in 22 shooting 58% from the field. Check the stats and stop listening to the media bashing him. Check the man stats. Compare them to our guards. Trade Diaw he to soft to play power along with Felton. Augustine can be used like House in Boston.

Posted by: Dherac | Nov 17, 2009 2:40:51 PM

Trade Felton and Henderson to the Nets for Terrence Williams (who is gonna blow up) and bring in Iverson. Law is a decent backup IMO. Then this team will finally be respectable!

Posted by: Brian | Nov 17, 2009 2:45:24 PM

Just trade felton to the knicks for david lee! We get rebounder on 1 year deal they get speedy pg on 1 year deal! If either team wants those players we re-sign them if not we don't. Bring in iverson for 1 year and do a wait in see also. In the long run it just helps our free agent attraction level.

Posted by: faulk | Nov 17, 2009 4:18:04 PM

The Bobcats are a horrible embarassment to the NBA. They may as well take on AI, they won't get any worse and might actually make some headlines/ticket sales in the process.

Posted by: Max | Nov 17, 2009 5:00:57 PM

sorry greg...stephen jackson never played shooting guard in his life. in new jersey, kendall gill was. in SA, manu and steve smith were. indiana - reggie miller. atlanta - jason terry. golden state - monta ellis and azubuike.

and diaw is only a 4 because he's too slow to guard on the perimeter. all 3 guys are 6-8ish without any exceptional talent in any one area. they're all well rounded 3's of slightly different variation.

Posted by: charlottean | Nov 17, 2009 5:29:56 PM

We been losing from day 1 so I say what have we got to lose???
BRING AI TO CHARLOTTE!!

Posted by: T-Bro | Nov 17, 2009 5:33:06 PM

Bring him in, couldn't do any worse. Iverson and Captain Jack would make this boring team interesting to watch.

Posted by: Big Pat | Nov 17, 2009 6:24:49 PM

Hater Hater...I couldn't agree more. I hated the Okafor trade when it was announced and I hate it even more now!! They should have worked to acquire a Chandler-type PLUS Okafor, not instead of Okafor.

Posted by: superlucchic | Nov 17, 2009 6:42:53 PM