« Jackson in Orlando; Brown plans to start him | Main | Brown on Iverson-Grizzlies split »

November 16, 2009

Jackson's parting shots at Warriors

New Charlotte Bobcat Stephen Jackson is known to be an emotional guy, and he sure proved that in his first interview post-trade Monday. Here's what he said in the locker room, prior to the game against the Orlando Magic.

(Happy about this trade?)

"I'm happy because it gives me a chance to compete, it gives me a chance to be where I want to be and that's the playoffs where I belong. I don't belong being at home at the end of April, watching the playoffs. I belong in the playoffs and I have a good chance here with a great team, a team that competes, and the type of coach I like -- who has your back. If a coach has my back, I don't mind giving 110 percent for him.''

(How badly did you want to be out of Golden State?)

"I wanted to be out pretty bad. Things were going bad and I was getting blamed for everything. I wasn't seeing eye-to-eye with the team. I got fined in preseason for one-hundred-and-some thousand. It was a lot of things that I didn't agree with going on from when I got there. We made history by beating Dallas in the first round. Then things started getting worse and winning stopped being a priority. Once winning stopped being a priority, I didn't want to be a part of it.''

(Describe the decline of the Warriors:)

"It started when we got rid of Jason Richardson and then the next thing you know, it was Baron (Davis) And then it was Al Harrington and Matt Barnes. The team that we had when we made that run, that beat Dallas in the first round, went South. Once it started doing that, I didn't want to be a part of it.

"As great as we played -- the Warriors hadn't been in the playoffs in 13 years -- if you want to break that team up, obviously winning is not your priority.''

(The Bobcats have never been to the playoffs. Can you handle them not making the playoffs this season?)

"Yeah, because I know the effort and attitude is there. Any time you have a guy running the team like Rod Higgins -- who I know well, that's the reason I went to Golden State -- those guys are competitors and they want to win. Those are the type of people I want running a team that I play for.''

(Larry Brown said he's excited about your versatility and your ability to create your own shot.)

"That's one big thing I do a lot different from a lot of guys -- not only do I play at both ends, but I can create shots for other guys. I take pride in being able to do everything.''

(surprised you'd start on such short notice?)

"It's the league. I've been here for 10 years. You're supposed to expect the impossible. This isn't the first time I've been traded and not the first time I've had to adapt (on the fly).''

(How long does it take to get up to speed with a new team's system?)

"A lot of the offenses in this league are basically the same and I think Coach Brown will be a coach who's easy to get accustomed to.''

Posted by Observer Sports on November 16, 2009 at 06:50 PM | Permalink

Comments

just when i thought i was out the bobcats pull me back in. when's iverson's flight landing in charlotte,i'll pick him up.

Posted by: al pacino | Nov 16, 2009 7:08:45 PM

LOVE... THIS... TRADE!!! GO BOBCATS!!

Posted by: T-Bro | Nov 16, 2009 8:56:03 PM

Why would any basketball fan want to see Iverson land in Charlotte? He is a washed up old man. He is 10 years past his prime. I can bust his azz any day. He is a chump, nothing more.

Posted by: BOBCAT_FAN | Nov 16, 2009 9:05:21 PM

Tough loss, again Chandler ineffective and Nazr getting slim (zero?) 2nd half minutes after playing well in the 1st.

Like the potential with Jackson and Flip showed he is a player. Long time since anyone besides Raymond or DJ ran point and it didn't suck.

Posted by: HoopsFan | Nov 16, 2009 10:09:10 PM

The move helps no doubt. How much? We'll see. Let's get greedy and add AI too. What the hell?

Posted by: Ari | Nov 16, 2009 11:41:16 PM

although we lost, we looked bigger and played more aggressive tonight. I think we can compete and may be tougher to deal with on those west coast trips.

Posted by: Carter | Nov 16, 2009 11:44:43 PM

I agree, Cap'n Jack didn't even had time to introduce himself to the team, and we still push the defending East Champs to the limit in their home court. This was the type of game when we knew winning was going to be difficult. Yes, we lost, but we lost by 6 pts. on the road against a Championship contender full of superstars and great players.

We know have three games we should win: PHI, MIL & IND. Plus we can beat the Raptors at home. That will put us back in .500 by the time we play Cleveland at home. This trade has many risks, but this might actually work out.

On the other hand, somebody please tell Chandler to remember that he is suppose to touch the ball also. He has to be more aware of where is the ball and expect to get the ball at any time. Too many mistakes because of him not expecting to get the ball. If he can fix that, the B-Cats will have 5 less turnovers and maybe 6-8 plus pts. at the end of the game. That will help them a lot. Plus so far Chandler have been quite good from the FT line, so if he gets foul, that should be good.

Posted by: RobC | Nov 17, 2009 9:34:44 AM

what bout me

Posted by: Benoit |Benamin | Nov 17, 2009 10:50:12 AM

Charlotte fans, don't get your hopes up too high. Jackson hasn't been on 7 teams in 11 years for no reason. Brown is 69 years old and another problem sends him into retirement. The franchise is 147-272 since it's inception in 2005.

Look at the inept drafts. a departed Okafor instesd of Devin Harris, Andre Iguadala,Bedrinas, Al Jefferson or Josh Smith,

Ray Felton instead of Andrew Bynum or Danny Granger.

Adam Morrison instead of Brandon Roy, Rudy Gay or Rajon Rondon. Think you guys need some new scouts and new ownership. It's a great basketball area. The team from the top needs an overhaul with with Chandler getting 13M, Diaw 9M, Wallace 10M, and Jackson getting 9 million a year for 4 years. And I haven't brought up the Diop multiple year MLE. They ought to put their head in the sand and hide on that one. Even Isaiah would have see that as a bad deal, maybe.

Posted by: Larry | Nov 17, 2009 2:08:54 PM

iverson was avg 12 off bench in 20 min giv him thirty and he's avg 20! Better than felton!

Posted by: faulk | Nov 17, 2009 4:22:02 PM