« Cap'n Jack meets the press | Main | Curry West rookie of the month »

February 01, 2010

Brown East coach of the month

I'm told the NBA is about to name the Charlotte Bobcats' Larry Brown as Eastern Conference Coach of the Month, after his team went 12-4 to start the new year.

On a separate matter, I wouldn't put much stock in this rumor that the Bobcats could end up with Sacramento Kings power forward Jason Thompson. That's not to say the Bobcats woudn't love to have Thompson. However, Kings coach Paul Westphal is very high on Thompson's potential, so I don't see what the Bobcats could realistically offer that would get the Kings to give him up.

What could bear watching in Sacramento is unused veteran forward Kenny Thomas. If Thomas were to negotiate a buyout of this last season on his contract (about $8.77 million), it's conceivable the Bobcats could sign him for the rest of the season to offer some experience behind Boris Diaw at power forward.

Posted by Observer Sports on February 1, 2010 at 02:30 PM | Permalink

Comments

Forget Kenny Thomas....$8.77 mil? That's ridiculous!

Now, Jason Thompson? I'd take him in a heartbeat. I think the only way we'd be able to get someone like Thompson would be to give up Diaw or a combination of bench players (possibly Flip Murray). The ONLY way I would do this trade is if they'd be willing to take Tyson Chandler. He has not worked here, and with his absense for this long and the 'Cats playing well without him, he's now expendable.

I would rather see LB grab someone that's already not playing in the NBA or off the NBDL and develop that player as the season progresses. I would NOT want to mess up any chemistry this team already has going for it.

Posted by: KYL | Feb 1, 2010 3:27:16 PM

Bobcats wouldn't pay him 8.77 mil. Thats why its called a buy out, the Kings BUY him OUT of his contract. Making him free to sign a new contract, most likely prorated at the vets minimum.

Posted by: MJC | Feb 1, 2010 3:47:32 PM

At this time, I would NOT give up Flip in a trade. If we make a trade, unfortunately I see Derrick Brown possibly being involved. He and DJ seem to be the most appealing players we have that we'd be willing to give up. Giving up Flip at this point would be a step back. I don't think anyone would take any of our big men given their salaries....

Posted by: EricH | Feb 1, 2010 4:01:04 PM

Kinda miss Juwan Howard. At least we'll see him again tonight...

Posted by: EricH | Feb 1, 2010 4:04:50 PM

we don't need to make any more trades. ideally, chandler gets healthy, if not....maybe ajinca returns as a more polished and ready player. If not, we ride it out and enjoy our best season in franchise history and build on it in the offseason instead of making a garbage move that will ruin the chemistry that we have right now.

Posted by: charlottean | Feb 1, 2010 4:05:37 PM

Congrats LB!!!

First we have a Player of the Week: Capt. Jack

Now we have an all-star: Crash Wallace

Now Coach of the Month!!

BOBCATS started to get some RESPECK around the league!!! (and yes, its spelled wrong on purpose)

Posted by: Bobcat Terry | Feb 1, 2010 4:11:26 PM

I agree with Charlottean. We are already a playoff contender. There isn't a reasonable trade out there that would make us an instant title contender. Most available trades would handicap our future while only making us a little better. We won't have the cap space as it is to go after impactful free agents next season.

Posted by: EricH | Feb 1, 2010 4:21:34 PM

I agree with charlottean 100%. We're playing as well we are right now while not even being at full strength (i.e. Chandler injuries and Ajinca D-League seasoning). I'm confident enough to say that we are a playoff lock, and who knows how good we really are until our two 7 footers get back into the rotation? Unless we can get a really good fit for our scheme without giving up someone that can be a big asset on any given night (including D.J. and Diaw), let's just hold our hand, and enjoy the playoff run.

GO CATS!

Posted by: Newsinz | Feb 1, 2010 4:23:15 PM

Almost forgot...congratulations to Larry Brown. I've said it countless times, but he's EASILY the best acquisition that Charlotte has ever made...well, maybe a toss-up between him and Gerald Wallace.

Posted by: Newsinz | Feb 1, 2010 4:24:49 PM

However, if it came to pass, i'd take Boozer in a heartbeat. He'd really boost our squad without handcapping our future as he's an expiring contract. I just think we'd have to give up too much to get him.

Posted by: EricH | Feb 1, 2010 4:25:04 PM

One more thing:

The media love fest with Wallace continues...it's about time.

Posted by: Newsinz | Feb 1, 2010 4:40:44 PM

You The Man LB... I Agree with Charlottean. IF! Diaw keeps playing like this. I still don't understand where the Energy and aggressiveness was before The Pheonix Game. Was he hurt?

Posted by: fox has to go!! | Feb 1, 2010 4:45:14 PM

Don't we have an open roster spot? Isn't it conceivable that MJ could complete the playoff puzzle without a trade?

Posted by: On and On | Feb 1, 2010 5:19:56 PM

Give Chandler a chance--he really has not been healthy since the Bobs obtained him, but he could step in and be a nice complement to this team, maybe even a solid starter.

If Chandler does not work out this year, he will be a nice piece to offer in a trade next year, when he will represent a $12 million expiring contract. His acquisition was really a win-win: either he works out this year and contributes, or he is ripe for a trade next year.

Posted by: Deuce | Feb 1, 2010 5:57:30 PM

Any chance Ajinca comes back after the All Star break so we can evaluate his improvement? An improved Ajinca would be great coming off the bench and would trump any need for a trade right now...not that the "need" for a trade is really that dire. As far as this season is concerned, it may be sink or swim time for Alexis. Not saying his career depends on it, but at least we'd have a couple months to evaluate whether or not he'd be any type of impact in the playoffs.

Posted by: EricH | Feb 1, 2010 6:28:28 PM

Nba jam is coming back and you can vote for the bobcats that you want to see in the game!

Posted by: Yo | Feb 1, 2010 7:03:45 PM

One trade that I'd make if I was the Bobcats would be with the Wizards who's thinking bout putting Jamison on the trading block. I think it'll put the Bobcats not only in the playoffs, but in contention in the East. Imagine a line up of pg. Felton sg. Jackson sf. Wallace pf. Jamison C. Chandler. He would open up even more scoring for the Bobcats at the 4 position. A 20 ppg. 10 rpg. with this team and WOW!!! We are a dangerous team now. We'd be deadly with Jamison. Who would want to play us in the playoffs??? Any thoughts from anyone or Rick Bonnell???

Posted by: Tyrone | Feb 1, 2010 7:09:10 PM

I'm with Tyrone, Jamison here would be a great trade! But who would the Wizard's want for Jamison?

Posted by: jah p | Feb 1, 2010 7:28:46 PM

I'm thinking since the Wizards want to cut payroll, they're looking for an expiring contract. I don't know which Bobcat that has a contract that is expiring. One thing is that we can't give up Felton, Wallace, Jackson, Mohammad, Chandler, Murray, Henderson, Diaw "If we can keep him from getting included in the deal". He'd be a great 6th man and could run the second unit. Maybe if not a direct trade but a three team trade.

Posted by: Tyrone | Feb 1, 2010 8:06:02 PM

Yo! KYL or KYJelly glad you're just a dummy and not a GM.

Posted by: MajorLeague | Feb 1, 2010 9:35:43 PM

I think the Jamison trade would be good, but if they were to do that, I would just trade Chandler and Diop for Jamison and Haywood if possible and lose a big contract that way they can try to make a strong playoff run, not lose the core we have now, get a big, and can also have a little more cap room for a possible free agent in the off-season.

Posted by: Chris | Feb 3, 2010 1:25:46 AM