« Thomas coming? Centers hurting | Main | Theo Ratliff? Sheesh »

February 18, 2010

Law, Murray and a 1st for Thomas?

I'm hearing the makings of a deal for Chicago Bull Tyrus Thomas would be as follows: Flip Murray's expiring contract (about $2 million), Acie Law (about $2.2 million this season, team option for next season) and a future first-round pick to Chicago for Thomas.

The Bulls' motives would be obvious: They get something for Thomas (a future first-round pick) and they keep stripping payroll in an attempt to sign to maximum-contract players over the summer.

And Larry Brown gets his wish for depth at power forward, with Thomas and Boris Diaw.

We'll see when if it becomes official.

Posted by Observer Sports on February 18, 2010 at 01:23 PM | Permalink

Comments

I really hope this works out, I think Thomas could really fit in and help out!

Posted by: redhotdave | Feb 18, 2010 1:34:25 PM

Way to break the news as usual Rick! If you want to read real news here you go sports fans.

Posted by: BETBOBSUX | Feb 18, 2010 1:42:49 PM

Posted by: BETBOBSUX | Feb 18, 2010 1:42:51 PM

hate to see Flip go, but like what TT brings in exchange. However, we basically solve a backup 4 problem and create a backup 2 problem. For a team that doesn't like to score, I hope we have other plans than Graham/Hendo

Posted by: Zed | Feb 18, 2010 1:44:05 PM

That sounds like an awesome deal!! I didn't like the idea of the Bobcats giving up Augustin in the earlier rumors....this one sounds much better.

Posted by: Yes | Feb 18, 2010 1:46:36 PM

Who says the Bulls won't cut Flip and we get him back for the playoff run??? Comment Rick? Maybe Yahoo has an opinion on that you could read.

Posted by: BETBOBSUX | Feb 18, 2010 1:47:28 PM

The deal sounds great, unless Thomas leaves as soon as he becomes a Free Agent, or the Bobcats tank, and that 1st round pick ends up in the top 5 or 10n picks.

Posted by: FaithandTruth | Feb 18, 2010 1:48:38 PM

only 2 hours late Rick...

Posted by: Teej | Feb 18, 2010 1:48:40 PM

I really hope the Bulls buyout Flip. We just shot ourselves in the foot on offense.

Posted by: Rob | Feb 18, 2010 1:51:13 PM

guys, give Rick a break - he can't report the BS from realgm. Have the stuff Adrian Whatshisface from Yahoo reports is blatantly false. At least Rick waits for the facts, which is what all journalists should do. Don't report a deal is done before it's done.

Posted by: Zed | Feb 18, 2010 1:53:38 PM

I like the look of this potential deal, as it removes the logjam at the 1 and the 2 while creating depth at the 4. We can get scoring from DJ off the bench, and he can create opportunities for the others. Plus, if Thomas becomes the starter at the 4 here, Diaw can provide scoring off the bench as well.

Posted by: The A-Train | Feb 18, 2010 1:57:33 PM

I like this deal a lot but with Tyrus Thomas bobcats will be versatile down low. I hate to see flip go, but I think it will make the team more better.

Posted by: tbird | Feb 18, 2010 2:02:20 PM

Thank you Zed, I was just about to point that out.

Posted by: MJC | Feb 18, 2010 2:05:21 PM

I know the cats should acquire some depth at power forward, but trading Murray with a combination of any player will be a mistake. This guy is by far the best off season signing(acquisition) the cats did......truly, he helps a lot from the bench, and he's versatile at both roles...PG and SG. Why not trade Diaw.....he's in a complete slum.

Posted by: nunu | Feb 18, 2010 2:11:01 PM

Shame to see Flip go, he's been clutch at points this season. We never really got to use Law this year, so we don't know what we're be missing for a while. The draft pick? Well, tough to say at this point.

We're finally getting a true power forward, this is long overdue.

Posted by: Chris | Feb 18, 2010 2:12:13 PM

Flip hit some big shots for us late in games. Any other coach, I would not trust this move but with Larry Brown I am ok with it because I know he can handle him.

Posted by: Smitty | Feb 18, 2010 2:14:22 PM

I really hope Chicago buysout or cut Flip...because Gerald Henderson will contribute nothing as a backup 2 guard

Posted by: Jamaal | Feb 18, 2010 2:16:51 PM

I hate this trade I think TT is a good defender with limited offense. I never really saw all the hype with him. LAw I could care less ab losing since LB dosen't play him but another 1st rnd pick gone (we still owe Denver one) and Flip has been instant offense for us. We should still make the playoffs but don't see this improving our seeding.

Posted by: Kingpat | Feb 18, 2010 2:23:18 PM

If pargo comes with TT. I'm excited about this trade!

Posted by: Chris | Feb 18, 2010 2:29:27 PM

i would take flip murray, acie law and a 1st for tyrus thomas IF and only IF the bobcats are serious about keeping him long term. if not we'd be giving up a future 1st for a 3 month tryout when we aren't legitimate eastern conference contenders. that's a great deal if they're gonna keep tyrus thomas though.....i've always felt like he's an incredible talent that just needs coaching and the right situation. i think this might be the situation. and i love the fact augustin and ajinca are not involved.

Posted by: charlottean | Feb 18, 2010 2:29:28 PM

good points Charlottean...agree completely.

Posted by: Zed | Feb 18, 2010 2:31:16 PM

glad they didnt trade dj... and so are you even if you refuse to admit it!!

Posted by: tmack | Feb 18, 2010 2:44:12 PM

rumblings are the they are now talking DJ for TJ Ford. Rumors only at this point, but this ride ain't over.

Posted by: Zed | Feb 18, 2010 2:47:27 PM

I just read that they may be trading Augustine to Indiana for TJ Ford

Posted by: Wayne | Feb 18, 2010 2:51:44 PM

I like this trade , I just wish we did'nt have to give up a pick. Who cares about Flip he is an awful player , he takes to many shots and he cant stick with his defender.That is not going to help us make a playoff run.) Tyrus provides another level of defense and he can help Jax,Wallace and Felton, as opposed to Diaw.

Posted by: Bobcats2010 | Feb 18, 2010 3:01:36 PM

Posted by: I'm Smarter Than You | Feb 18, 2010 3:08:34 PM

This trade is only good if Diaw or Thomas are ok coming off the bench. And that will be the problem. Not sure how that will work out???

Posted by: Newt | Feb 18, 2010 3:10:44 PM

Does this mean Augustin will be getting significant minutes once again?

From a talent standpoint, the Bobcats came out ahead in this one. Let's see if Larry Brown can get Thomas motivated.

Posted by: G'boro Cats Fan | Feb 18, 2010 3:17:53 PM

STOP BASHING BONNELL. I HAVE CRITICIZED HIM BEFORE BUT THIS DEAL IS STILL AWAITING OFFICIAL LEAGUE APPROVAL. BONNELL HAS HIGHER STANDARDS AS A JOURNALIST. I THINK HE WANTS TO BE ACCURATE RATHER THAN BE THE FIRST TO REPORT SOMETHING THAT LET'S BE HONEST IS 2ND OR 3RD HAND INFO OR JUST RUMOR.

Posted by: Yeah? | Feb 18, 2010 3:19:07 PM

Posted by: Yeah? | Feb 18, 2010 3:27:02 PM

So, did this deal go through or not?

Posted by: Chris | Feb 18, 2010 3:34:19 PM

So did this deal go through or not?

Posted by: Chris | Feb 18, 2010 3:34:57 PM

i'm really excited about augustin getting more minutes behind this also. we've got graham and even henderson if we need them but augustin and felton were successful last year playing in tandem and augustin is our best shooter....wayyyyyyyy better than flip. and whatever defense he gives up, thomas boosts. great move if its official.

Posted by: charlottean | Feb 18, 2010 3:38:20 PM

bobcats2010, Flip was the only Bobcat that provided ANY scoring for the anemic bench. In that respect, I'm gonna miss him but this trade was very necessary and I think we made out like bandits as long as LB can continue to work his "diamond in the rough" polishing skills with troubled players. I think Diaw is going to flourish now that he doesn't have to log all the boards and can play-make again. Tyrus's springy athleticism is going to negate a lot of 2nd chance points the Cats were giving up.

Posted by: Bro. D. | Feb 18, 2010 3:40:01 PM

Tyrus Thomas brings that toughness we didn't have at PF; also, competing for playing time should result in getting Diaw to be more alert, not to have some slumbery games anymore. Tyrus is remarkable for defense-rebounding-shot blocking, but he's a so-and-so offensive player.
That's why I don't like losing Flip Murray.

Briefly, we have now a stronger in defense, but less dangerous in offense, team.
I would've preferred taking the Wizards' offer - Blatche for DJ; that was a lower price to pay for a good back-up PF (yeah, not as tough as TT, but still a good one, and a little better in offense).

I can see that DJ still has his fans. I don't believe he can be the "point guard of the future" for the Cats, and, on the other hand, Acie had all the potential to be a good back-up PG.
The price for getting Thomas is too high, the opportunity to get Blatche was passed, but, what's done is done. I can only hope this will work well for the Bobcats; we'll see.

Posted by: Sandy | Feb 18, 2010 3:42:24 PM

My gut reaction is that I like the addition of Tyrus, but we need SHOOTERS. I don't think Henderson can replace Flip offensively. Now we have 3 PFs, and 3 injured Centers.

Posted by: AppCatsFan | Feb 18, 2010 3:50:52 PM

Rick,

Any last-minute trades to report that could impact the East playoff races? I know that the deadline was 3pm today, but often times there are deals that are awaiting league approval and then - if approved - announced after the deadline.

DJ, Gerald Henderson, and Nazr were listed on a national site as potentially being part of such a deal with Indiana - for TJ Ford and Brandon Rush. While I don't like the looks of that deal, I am curious as to the accuracy of the report.

Thanks, Rick, and keep up the great work.

GO BOBCATS!!!

Posted by: The A-Train | Feb 18, 2010 4:06:58 PM

@Bobcats2010...i agree that i dont like the idea of giving up a pick but then again we already have alot of youth, more of it isnt going to help us right now

TT should be a good fit with our athletic starting 5 and he plays well defending the post...good trade! im glad to see the front office showing they want to win!

Posted by: Bobcat Terry | Feb 18, 2010 4:13:16 PM

espn .com is saying that the deal falls apart

Posted by: john | Feb 18, 2010 4:13:43 PM

No need to be concerned about the future 1st round pick included in the deal, as it appears to be a protected pick. It doesn't appear that we're trading a future lottery pick for Thomas.

Posted by: The A-Train | Feb 18, 2010 4:14:22 PM

Bobcats are doing a great job collecting trash from other teams

One man's trash is another man's treasure!

Posted by: Scott | Feb 18, 2010 4:28:49 PM