« Jordan buys the Bobcats | Main | Stern on Jordan approval process »

February 27, 2010

Statement from George Postolos

Statement from former Houston Rockets president George Postolos on Bob Johnson choosing to sell the Charlotte Bobcats to Michael Jordan:

"I remain committed to becoming an NBA owner, and I’m glad that Michael will continue to bring his talent to the sport and the league.''

Posted by Observer Sports on February 27, 2010 at 02:44 AM | Permalink

Comments

somebody buy that man a drink....without him making a serious offer, i don't think this sale ever happens.

Posted by: charlottean | Feb 27, 2010 11:02:31 AM

Rick,
im trying to sort out the pros and cons of this deal myself. on one hand, i feel as though Postolos would be better suited as an owner, yet too radical for the organization.
and on the other hand, i feel as though MJ doesnt bring enough (if any) change to the organization to actually make a difference.

this team is in "win now" mode. thats never a good idea to build a franchise on. i just dont see this way of thinking proving effective or solidifying the organization as a threat.

i know we arent a OKC (young talented future), but we also arent a LA (solid and consistent).

Posted by: reggie Gallant | Feb 27, 2010 11:21:34 AM

let's take a 'wait and see' approach.

this is just a contract to buy; the contingencies in the deal have to be satisfied and the deal has to close.

League approval of the ownership structure and the fiancing has to occur.

Each investor has to actually deposit their money.

A lot can happen between now and Closing.

Let's wait and see.

Posted by: bobfan1 | Feb 27, 2010 11:59:14 AM

conspiracy theory, george was hired by stern to trick johnson into selling team to jordan.

Posted by: joe cool | Feb 27, 2010 12:34:42 PM

I am sure many aren't happy with Johnson selling the team to Michael Jordan (a black man), who has played the game himself and a Haller Famer. I said it before, and I'll repeat it, "it is better to be with the devil you know then the angel that is coming." Michael will be fine and I know bad decisions has being made, I certainly believe improvement will come to this team. To you haters of Jordan, quit now or support the Carolina Panthers at least since you lost.

Posted by: nunu | Feb 27, 2010 1:43:29 PM

nunu,

i just believe that Postolos' resume made him a better owner. look at what he did in Houston back in the late 90s. it almost mimicks the situation here (bad owner/city connections; no constant support).

it has nothing to do with Jordan being black. i find him to be a role model as an African-American youth myself. yes, he has done many great things in the NBA as a player; however, as an owner or business executive, he has proven to be almost non-effective or even non-existent at times.

just because he was a great player doesnt mean he can be a great owner (Larry Bird is having his own problems; look at Isaiah Thomas in NY)
very few NBA legends are capable of doing more than just playing in this league. Pat Riley, Bill Russel, and Phill Jackson are probably the best at doing this.

dont be so quick to play the race card my friend. i find this to be the difference in my generation and past African-American generations.

Posted by: reggie Gallant | Feb 27, 2010 8:35:38 PM

Well of course it's the difference. Older African-Americans fought to improve their situation. These ones just blame and whine.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Feb 28, 2010 10:04:39 PM