« Jordan gets the Bobcats | Main | Jordan buys the Bobcats »

February 27, 2010

Statement from Johnson on sale to Jordan

Bob Johnson's statement:

Robert L. Johnson, the majority owner of Bobcats Sports and Entertainment today announced that he has signed a definitive agreement to sell majority interest of Bobcats Sports and Entertainment to Michael Jordan and MJ Basketball Holdings, LLC.  The deal is subject to NBA approval.  Further details of the sale will be provided by the NBA.

Posted by Observer Sports on February 27, 2010 at 01:59 AM | Permalink

Comments

Fantastic.

Posted by: C_Money_34 | Feb 27, 2010 2:10:41 AM

Great news.here we go Bobcats here we go

Posted by: catsfan | Feb 27, 2010 2:30:39 AM

Lets see if he makes Charlotte his permanent residence and is at every game, then we will know if he is 100 percent dedicated to this team and this city

Posted by: Elliot | Feb 27, 2010 2:30:41 AM

Im so glad MJ bought this team. I hope that the team would be an direct extension of his competitive spirit. Go ahead and change the name to the Carolina Bobcats!!!

Posted by: Da Ing Man | Feb 27, 2010 2:48:57 AM

Change the name to the Queen Cities King Jordans.

Posted by: wildcat | Feb 27, 2010 4:08:22 AM

I love it! Nobody better in the game of basketball to have associated with your franchise than the greatest of all time.

Posted by: EricDQC | Feb 27, 2010 4:26:33 AM

OH NO!! Jordan was a great player, but he doesn't know how to run the business...neither did Bob. Too bad we didn't get the guy from Houston. Too bad, so sad...

Posted by: JAR | Feb 27, 2010 7:27:32 AM

I would never support the Bobcats with "Bob" as the owner. I am going this morning to buy my first Bobcats hat.

Posted by: Terry | Feb 27, 2010 8:28:35 AM

Oh boy. The BobHeels demise continues. Maybe Handsbrough can make it to Charlotte next year. Yea!

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 27, 2010 8:46:13 AM

I'm relieved that Jordon is the guy! Hopefully they figure out a way to market the legend of Jordan with the team and he let's it happen. Everyone focuses on the draft pick mishaps, but hindsight is 20/20 and EVERY team makes draft pick blunders, it's the nature of the beast.

I wish the best for Jordan and hopefully this puts a spark back in the team! Go Cats!

Posted by: redhotdave | Feb 27, 2010 8:48:18 AM

What difference does it make if they move to Charlotte, the guy from Houston wouldn't have. Congratulations on someone with some deep knowledge of the game buying it instead of greedy, nasty Bob. I am sure we all have made mistakes like Michael in some business form but with Larry as the coach and his bumps he's taken along the way, Mike will be find. The last few pickups we've made has shown how much he's grown in management.

Posted by: Troy | Feb 27, 2010 8:54:41 AM

Looks like Mr Sorensen's deep throat set him up. Not an ideal owner, shares some of Mr Woods' attitudes to entitlement.

Posted by: Geroge | Feb 27, 2010 8:59:25 AM

Congrats to Michael Jordan,Charlotte Bobcats, Larry Brown and the Original Bobcat Fans. All fair weather friends, fans and haters are welcomed. Go Bobcats and congrats on the win last night against the Grizzlies.

Posted by: Shedwilliams | Feb 27, 2010 9:00:27 AM

The bandwagon just added a few more cars, jump on and meet your neighbor.

Posted by: BlockParty | Feb 27, 2010 9:03:41 AM

let's hope now that MJ has alot more invested interest we will see more intensity with the program and fan support.
Just by MJ making more appearances to TWC areana will draw more buzz & fan support. More fan support can raise the bar for players to perform 100% while on the floor.

Go Bobcats!

Posted by: Robert C. | Feb 27, 2010 9:06:26 AM

this just in....ticket sales are up.

Posted by: charlottean | Feb 27, 2010 10:11:28 AM

I don't know what's more sad - the fact that the "fans" in Charlotte need a celebrity owner to get excited about the team, or that some of the Bobcats need their "idol" on the bench to remember to play hard and stay focused. I'm a huge Bobcats fan and have been for years now. I've seen how much harder certain players play when MJ is sitting courtside - let's hope that doesn't wear off if he's courtside more often now....

Posted by: On and On | Feb 27, 2010 10:25:37 AM

Change the stupid name first of all. And remember this is not about MJ, its about the city and the team. And please, no silver jerseys to commemorate one man, That was the stupidest thing i have seen, leave it up to a bunch of idiot tarheels to agree to that

Posted by: DNYCE | Feb 27, 2010 10:36:08 AM

Can we change the name now? Let's buy back our name from the Hornets, let them take their name back from Utah, and start new!

Hell, at least change the name.....let's completely rid ourselves of Bob Johnson! What about the Charlotte Flight or Cougars......Larry Brown did coach the Carolina Cougars back in the ABA days!

Posted by: Dion | Feb 27, 2010 10:41:02 AM

Sweet! With BOB gone we can change the name to "The Flight" like it should have always been!!!

Posted by: jon | Feb 27, 2010 1:36:01 PM

So, wait, "Flight" with the owner of the nickname Air Jordan is better than the "Bobcats" with the owner name of Robert? Huh.

Posted by: tmoney | Feb 27, 2010 2:16:24 PM

Who cares? How long before we can be rid of the bobcats and jordan?

Posted by: kevin | Feb 27, 2010 6:52:10 PM

I do know that MJ's lifestyle probably makes Tiger look like a choirboy. It has always seemed to me that his golf/resort/party/private life is 8 on the priority scale and everything else falls below 5. Maybe I'm wrong, but it has appeared like he has just dropped in on Charlotte from time to time to see what's happening. If he is a NC resident/legend dedeicated to Charlotte, the team, the playoffs, etc. his celebrity will mean something. If he breezes through, he would be like any other absentee owner.

My recommendations:

1. Consider a dramatic Name Change and at least a dramatic change in colors. The bright organge color and Rufus remind me of the 70's.
2. Mandate that there is a 50-50% split in servers/doormen, etc. I hate to say it, but the folks now employed have an attitude. It takes way too long (and you miss too much of the game) waiting on those cranky folks to get you a warm 10 oz $8 beer. Maybe let charity groups man the concession stand like the Panther's do?
3. Re-institute Prayer before games. The Hornets did it the entire time they were in town. I miss it. Bob killed it. It didn't necessarily serve him too well. Lots of church folk in Charlotte and it would hurt the NBA to recognize that.
4. Show up. I was walking within 15 feet of Jordan once and his bodyguard gave me a hand shiver. I'll never forget that. As the years go on, fame will damper. Use the fame to relate to folks if you want the team to succeed.
5. LOWER TICKET PRICES.

No charge for the advice.

Posted by: Rodney Whitehead | Feb 27, 2010 7:11:15 PM