« Salmons-to-Bucks spells trouble | Main | Law, Murray and a 1st for Thomas? »

February 18, 2010

Thomas coming? Centers hurting

I just got confirmation that the Charlotte Bobcats are in serious final-hours discussions with the Chicago Bulls about possibly acquiring Tyrus Thomas to shore up the depth at power forward.

Any big man would be a huge plus now. The Bobcats have lost center Gana Diop for up to two weeks with a sprained right knee. The other two centers, Tyson Chandler (sprained ankle) and Nazr Mohammed (back spasms), haven't practiced in the last two days and are game-time decisions for Friday's home game versus the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Posted by Observer Sports on February 18, 2010 at 12:39 PM | Permalink

Comments

This would be HUGE!

Posted by: PantherDave | Feb 18, 2010 12:48:32 PM

I love the trade. I've liked Thomas since he was at LSU.

Rick, who do you think will make up the new starting lineup?

Posted by: 704Champ | Feb 18, 2010 12:49:32 PM

Man I hate to see Murray go but glad to see Thomas!!!!!! Go Cats!!!!!!

Posted by: Grady | Feb 18, 2010 12:51:49 PM

WHAT??? Gana is injured? Dang it! In related news, attention courtside ticket owners: in light of recent news, back spasms are contagious as shown by how Jackson had them, then Tyson, and then Nazr. So, I am willing to take on your courtside tickets to ensure you do not get the back spasms! I know, I know, I understand the risks I might take on, but the health of the innocent people is at stake. Please, don't cry for me.

Posted by: Yo | Feb 18, 2010 12:52:27 PM

Tyrus Thomas isn't a Center, and I thought The Bulls had a deal to send him to the Knicks, for Harrington.

Posted by: FaithandTruth | Feb 18, 2010 12:54:37 PM

Every since he was on that LSU team that beat Duke and ended Redick's college career, you had to know there was something special about him.

Posted by: Jim Dugan | Feb 18, 2010 12:55:39 PM

This will be my favorite move the Bobcats have moved since the franchise started. I think it gives a great look at an extremely versatile player in Thomas. Any time he received real run (30+mpg) he put up strong numbers in Chicago. I think this move makes us a dynamic ball club. I assume Brown is responsible for another good trade, thanks coach!!!!

Posted by: Ndigs | Feb 18, 2010 12:57:02 PM

Who are they trading to get him?

Posted by: MOJO | Feb 18, 2010 1:01:03 PM

Looks like it's a trade! We're sending Acie Law and Flip to the Bulls for Thomas. I like this deal.

Posted by: redhotdave | Feb 18, 2010 1:03:44 PM

Bucher: Bulls now thin up front
12:21
PM ETTyrus Thomas | Bulls Top Email Once Tyrus Thomas went on a profanity-laced against Vinny Del Negro earlier this month, it was believed he would likely get dealt before the deadline. It's also likely he's not in the Bulls' long-term plans regardless of the incident.

Previously, we've mentioned that the Nuggets, Spurs, Blazers, Knicks, Bobcats and Rockets have all shown interest in Thomas. But the Rockets and Bulls didn't do a deal for Tracy McGrady, the Blazers picked up Marcus Camby, the Spurs have yet to make room for him and talks with the Knicks have basically stopped.

So that leaves one team: the Bobcats.

And as ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher reports, Thomas will be sent there in exchange for Acie Law, Flip Murray and a protected future first-round pick.

Ric Bucher
Bulls now a bit thin up front

"Sources say the Bulls' power forward's likeliest destination is Charlotte for Acie Law, Flip Murray and a protected future first-round pick. That frees Chicago to let disgruntled Jannero Pargo go and adds some off-the-bench scoring punch for Chicago. It does leave them a bit thin up front, especially with Father Time having 33-year-old Brad Miller in a vicious headlock right now."

Posted by: MOJO | Feb 18, 2010 1:04:34 PM

And a future Number .1pick.Maybe it just me but I think that the bobcats have give up to much.Plus now the Cats only just 2 PG on the Roster.I wish that the bobcats would have had to trade away filp

Posted by: john | Feb 18, 2010 1:06:59 PM

MOJO:
We'll see if this goes through, but the Bulls seem interested in expiring contracts That makes Stevie Graham, Acie Law and Flip Murray all possibilities.
You'd have to add up enough salaries to approximate Thomas $4.74 million this season. The beauty of this, if they pull it off, is they'd get immediate help without any obligation to Thomas beyond this season. He'd be a restricted free agent over the summer.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Feb 18, 2010 1:07:07 PM

Posted by: john | Feb 18, 2010 1:07:49 PM

I was hoping for a more conventional PF, but the cats don't have an energy guy like Thomas. Do they have to throw in a 1st rounder though? We're taking a problem child off their hands, how is this even fair? RICK! Tell me this pick is lotto-protected.

Posted by: David | Feb 18, 2010 1:09:20 PM

Rick so the Cats are giveing away anther 1st rd pick.Plus Flip .Is it just me or are the bobcats giving up way to much?

Posted by: john | Feb 18, 2010 1:09:35 PM

Don't like to see Murray go.... and i really don't like to see a first round draft pick go! I know Thomas has had some issues, but if there's anybody who can deal with a 'problem child' its Larry Brown. He's dealt with some of the biggest problems this game has seen. So I hope he can blend in with the team.

Posted by: Smitty | Feb 18, 2010 1:16:12 PM

As a Bulls fan, you'll love TT's energy but unfortunately it's only when he feels like playing (similar to why the Bulls got rid of Chandler as well). He's getting out hustled by Taj Gibson right now. TT's got a lot of potential but he just takes too much time off during the game. A lot of mental errors, bad shooting decisions, etc. He was one of my favorites when the Bulls got him but he has turned into a cancer in the club house (hence his recent suspensions). Good luck to him though if he goes to you.

Posted by: Kevin | Feb 18, 2010 1:19:20 PM

So Diaw will now have some competition for minutes (once the stable of centers return to the court). No knock on Nazr, he's done everything right his year.

Posted by: BlockParty | Feb 18, 2010 1:19:48 PM

Better to give up a first rounder for Tyrus than Ajinka... the bobcats management is learning.... excellent... soon, there might actually be a worthwhile trade.

Posted by: Jonas | Feb 18, 2010 1:23:14 PM

So is the Trade Done?

Posted by: john | Feb 18, 2010 1:26:13 PM

Support the Cats on Friday by showing up fans! You'll also see the new look Cavs with Anton Jamison!

Posted by: JL | Feb 18, 2010 1:26:26 PM

1st round pick is too much, but given the bobcats draft history, this pick would probably be a bust anyhow.

Posted by: kevin | Feb 18, 2010 1:27:37 PM

John:
It's not official yet, because these things must be lawyered and the inclusion of a future first-round pick complicates things (since the Bobcats already owe a pick to Minnesota-via-Denver, following the Ajinca trade). You can't trade away your first-round pick in consecutive years, so they'll have to come up with some precise wording.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Feb 18, 2010 1:28:56 PM

1st round picks in the NBA are not nearly as valuable as in the NFL. Any player out of the top ten is not guaranteed to be an impact player.

Posted by: Scottyrock | Feb 18, 2010 1:38:31 PM

Rick is there any chance the Bulls buyout Flip's contract allowing him to resign with the Bobcats?

Posted by: Justin | Feb 18, 2010 1:38:48 PM

Giving up a future first rounder for a guy we might only have for a couple of months seems a bit much. But given our history with first round selections I guess this might be a blessing in disguise.

Posted by: The Icelandic Bobcats Fan | Feb 18, 2010 1:39:47 PM

I hate to see Flip go...he is a great player. But we need a guy like Tyrus Thomas in this team. Plus, I'm sure Larry Brown knows exactly how to deal with guys like him. Also, I'm sure TT is crazy to leave Chicago as well, that might even push him to play harder and prove something to the Bulls. Come the playoffs we'll need Thomas to play against guys like Rashard Lewis, Garnett, Jamison and Rasheed.

I hate seeing Flip go, we might resign him in the offseason again, but this will be a great deal, and we might even keep Tyrus Thomas after this season if he accepts the Qualifying offer. Plus, Gerald Henderson might see some playing time now, so he better step up and show what he can do.

Posted by: RobC | Feb 18, 2010 1:50:26 PM

you have to think about 1st round picks as future assets but we've already got a relatively young team and we're getting an experienced young player in exchange for a future 1st, essentially paying chicago to develop thomas for us and get a guy we would have had to develop later. its a good deal for both sides if we keep thomas long term which we should be able to do assuming thats the only offseason move we make along with resigning felton. we've already got henderson, augustin, brown and ajinca in development.....no need to add more young guys to the list when we don't really have a position we need to fill after this trade.

time to play for right now and the next few years while we have this core group together. the only issues looming over the next 5 years are felton resigning and developing ajinca into the starting 5 as chandler and mohommed come off the books next year.

Posted by: charlottean | Feb 18, 2010 3:36:11 PM