« The pick owed Bulls is protected | Main | Centers feeling better »

February 18, 2010

Thomas on the trade

K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune snagged an interview with Tyrus Thomas about the trade and was nice enough to email me a transcript. What Thomas had to say:

(Thoughts on being traded?)

"It’s part of the business. I talked to (Bulls management) and thanked them both and the Bulls organization for giving me my opportunity to take my first steps in the NBA. I learned a lot here.''

(What did you learn?)

"How to be a professional. How to handle adversity. How to be prepared for whenever your number is called.''

(You think different atmosphere can help you?)

"Um, yeah. I think that a lot of people have a perception of me based on what they read instead of giving me the opportunity to show the real me. Different scenery for me can be real good.''

(Have you talked to Charlotte people yet?)

"I talked to them. They’re excited to have me. I’m thrilled they’re excited. Today was just more logistics about getting me there in time to play tomorrow. I’m sure tomorrow I’ll sit down with Coach Brown and get into some detail.''

(When you look back on time in Chicago, what stands out favorably or unfavorably?)

"The good thing about it is good or bad I have a habit of learning from everything that happens. However you want to take it, I learned a lot from my time in Chicago. The way the business works, the way the game should be played, the way to overcome mistakes.''

(What are you most proud of?)

"That I developed as a player and contributed in playoff games.''

Anything you want to say to Chicago fans?
I thank them so much for their support and for them being behind me the whole time I was there. I’m truly going to miss them. They always had my back. They’re some of the greatest fans in any sport any where. Win, lose or draw, we had 20,000 fans every night.

Posted by Observer Sports on February 18, 2010 at 08:18 PM | Permalink

Comments

If he's used to 20,000 fans a night, he's in for a surprise when he plays in Charlotte.

Posted by: Mike Robinson | Feb 18, 2010 8:58:42 PM

If Larry Brown and the intensity of Gerald Wallace rub off on Thomas we may have gotten ourselves a steal.

Is his impending free-agency restricted or unresticted?

Posted by: DM | Feb 18, 2010 9:00:02 PM

We flat out robbed the Cookie Jar...Tyrus,Jax,Crash and Felton and Henderson getting more minutes since Flip is gone...Bobcat fans we are in for a treat...Playoffs...Did you say Playoffs...Way to go Bobcats!!!!

Posted by: MoveMe | Feb 18, 2010 9:10:01 PM

Great Trade....I did not think that they were going to get involved and then I saw it pop up on the screen and I was thrilled. We will miss Flip but we add alot more by having a big athletic rebounder who can block shots and also average 10-12 ppg. I would be very happy if Thomas could bring us 10 pts 10 rebs 2 blks a game ! I think we leapfrogged Miami and Chicago with this trade, there is no excuse for us not to be the sixth seed this year ! Go Cats ! Hey Mike Robinson, at least his first game will be in front of a full house vs Lebron tomorrow night !

Posted by: Elliot | Feb 18, 2010 9:14:44 PM

restricted, i believe.

Posted by: tmack | Feb 18, 2010 9:20:47 PM

Restricted as long as we offer him the tender ($6.3 mil.) Same situation Felton was in this past summer.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Feb 18, 2010 9:43:50 PM

we're not only looking good for this year, but we've got such great potential going forward if we manage to retain thomas and felton in the offseason.

Posted by: charlottean | Feb 18, 2010 10:13:34 PM

your not going to get 20,000 fans anymore. maybe 2,000. get ready for another move tyrus when charlotte's second nba team is relocated.

Posted by: bobcat bob | Feb 18, 2010 11:47:48 PM

not cool bobcat bob, why the hate!

Posted by: cats | Feb 18, 2010 11:57:36 PM

This is a ALL IN move...

This might be BROWNS last year and MJ pulling all the stops in making this the best chance the Bobcats have to make noise in playoffs.

Applaud everyone involved and hope MJ can buy the team and keep LB around!

Posted by: STH | Feb 19, 2010 12:08:51 AM

TRADES GOOD FOR THE FANS OF CHARLOTTE BOBCATS..WOULD BE NICE TO SEE THEM ON TV IF U CANT GET TO THE GAME. WE LOVING THE CATS..BUT THE CATS DONT LOVE THE FANS. I KNOW THEY WANT US THERE, BUT IF FANS CANT WATCH TO GET INTERESTED, ALL U SEE IS CELTICS,LAKERS,CAVS,MIAMI,ORLANDO .... NO WONDER ITS HARD TO DRIVE THE LONG DISTANCE TO SEE THE TEAM... LET US WATCH, CONTINUE TO FALL IN LOVE AND WE WILL BE THERE AS WE WERE WHEN THE HORNETS WAS IN TOWN. WE LOVED THEM, SAW THEM ON TV, RADIO... CATS..ARE NO SHOWS ON ALL....TV ..AND RADIO.. IF MJ,LB WANT FANS IN SEATS...LIFT THE RESTRICTIONS AND LET FANS WATCH THE GAMES ON NBA NETWORK..THEY GET PROFIT FROM IT ANYWAY.

GO CATS

Posted by: T BONE | Feb 19, 2010 1:00:23 AM

Thomas, Jackson, Henerson, Wallace, Felton. That's a lot of athtleticism there. And some skill too. I hope Brown doesn't outsmart himself and try to do more changes. Leave this team in tact. Let them grow together.

Posted by: ddd | Feb 19, 2010 4:06:42 AM

PG - Felton / Augustin
SG - Jackson / Henderson / Graham
SF - Wallace / Graham / Brown
PF - Diaw / Thomas / Brown
C - Chandler / Mohammed / Ratliff

With the flexibility the trades now give the Bobcats, this is easily the deepest roster this franchise has seen. Considering that the Bulls likely traded themselves out of the playoffs (this season) in exchange for cap space this summer, there is a good chance that both the Bobcats and the Bucks jump into the playoffs as the season moves to the stretch run.

Posted by: The A-Train | Feb 19, 2010 7:14:14 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we're going to finish the last 30 games 20-10 and sneek to fifth and kill whoever is in 4th in 6 games ;)

Posted by: Tattoo | Feb 19, 2010 7:32:30 AM

I like this trade, but just hate that we had to give up Flip. Should definitely open up things for DJ though.

Posted by: PantherDave | Feb 19, 2010 8:37:44 AM

with lots of buyouts coming, look for one more player coming to charlotte. I would say we add a guard becuase we always have french fries looming in maine, ready to come be an emergency post player for us when needed.

check the top part of this link, supports my idea.....

Posted by: brendan | Feb 19, 2010 9:27:39 AM

bobcats fans will have your back,

all three of them

Posted by: Sean May | Feb 19, 2010 9:38:16 AM

T Bone I think alot feel the same!
If nothing else we can all do our own individual marketing for the Bobcats.. Just wear your gear out and promote. I bought all of my immediate family a Bobcats Pin and told them to wear it every where reasonable. On their Jackets, hat ... whatever. My little boy has his on his bookbag, my wife wears hers at work with her name badge... Just whatever. If Bobcats can't market adequately than we as fans can help. Just a my opinion. I don't want the same thing to happen to the Bobcats that happened before.

Not happy to see flip go because of his help at PG, but he was more inconsistent than consistent. The game where he missed 4 frr throws in a row that could have made a difference, I wanted to choke him..

Posted by: fox has to go!! | Feb 19, 2010 11:38:20 AM

I agree with most of T BONE's comments. To foster real interest in the team, broadcasts need to be available in all areas. I live in Rock Hill, SC and don't get to see ANY Bobcats games on TV. I'm as close to Time Warner Cable Arena as people in Matthews, Gastonia and Davidson but the games aren't shown on SportSouth or FoxSports in SC. Radio reception is non-existent after 5 or 6 pm so the fans here have no way of following the games without being there in person. When the Hornets were in town, we saw most of the games on WJZY or one of the other local stations but the Bobcat's broadcasts are not shown in SC, not even "away" games (and because they are not broadcast on a traditional channel, we can't even pick them up with an antenna). It would be nice to follow the team but I only get to see them on TV on WGN when they play the Bulls.

Posted by: Jim | Feb 19, 2010 1:07:52 PM

hey mike robinson a true baller don't acre how many fans he play in front of, but how many wins and how much playing time he get, trust me i know, played high school and college ball..let's go cats..

Posted by: tim | Feb 19, 2010 2:18:57 PM

Tyrus SUCKS u will see, u 5 thousand bobcat fans, good riddance to that cancer. That guy is a headcase, anytime u can piss off Derrick Rose, as soft spoken as that guy is, u need some counseling!!

Posted by: vint69 | Feb 20, 2010 4:11:01 AM

And another thing, u ain't going to the playoffs with no offence!

Posted by: vint69 | Feb 20, 2010 4:13:18 AM