« Ajinca needs thumb surgery | Main | Wallace out; Graham likely starts »

February 03, 2010

Wallace may miss Lakers game

It sounds like there's a serious chance Gerald Wallace will miss tonight's road game against the Los Angeles Lakers with a left hamstring pull.

Wallace sat out morning shootaround at UCLA to get treatment on the injury and the Bobcats are calling it a game-time decision. Wallace is famous for playing through injury, but he's very sore, so he could miss his second game of the season (after sitting out a game in New York with severe headaches).

Losing Wallace would be a blow in any game, but missing tonight would trim coach Larry Brown's options to guard Kobe Bryant. Obviously Stephen Jackson can and will guard Bryant, but it's good to have alternatives. The key to the Bobcats' unlikely success against the Lakers (winning six of the last seven) has been the various mid-sized athletes this team has to guard Bryant.

Jackson turned an ankle in the Portland game, but went through shootaround and looks ready to go tonight.

Posted by Observer Sports on February 3, 2010 at 02:53 PM | Permalink

Comments

Hey Rick, surely you've seen the news about Postolos' offer. Why no report on the Observer's website, or Inside the NBA?

Posted by: Yo | Feb 3, 2010 3:05:39 PM

I hope G-force will be better b4 tip off tonight.....we need him for his athleticism and especially this game that is important for our current standing in the East and the Division. With a win tonight, the cats returns home to face the Hornets on Saturday. Hope by then Tyson will be ready and it will be a measure of Coach Brown's trade (success or failure) vis-a-vis Okafor/Tyson Chandler, who is yet to prove himself in this team's rotation. To me, Mohammed is playing really good this season.

Posted by: nunu | Feb 3, 2010 4:08:28 PM

Yo is right ... that report has been on ESPN.com for almost the entire day. Seems to me like it would be a pretty big deal.

Posted by: MM | Feb 3, 2010 4:08:49 PM

to busy talking about that curry kid too report on things that really matter like the possible selling of the team and loss of the entire coaching staff and front office i guess.

Posted by: thevoice | Feb 3, 2010 4:27:33 PM

Coverage regarding the sale of the team has certainly be lacking in recent months especially considering the chatter about the sale has increased so much. Where does Jordan stand in the bid, does he have any chance in matching Postolos' offer?

Posted by: Matt | Feb 3, 2010 4:40:43 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Jamaal | Feb 3, 2010 4:55:46 PM

Hey guys I found a link here reporting about the possible sale. check it out http://www.charlottevibe.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=editorial.detail&id=1887

Posted by: joe | Feb 3, 2010 4:57:39 PM

If wallace does or does not play, more if not... Diaw has got get more involved. This may be me, you guys watch and see. I have been criticizing diaw for his play, but I watched Diaw closely(blazers game) instead of following the ball just watching Diaw, just after Curry had said "Diaw is going to have to shoot". He looked frustrated and like he was passing shots to get the ball to Wallace and Jack. When diaw would have position in the paint Diaw would hold his hands up and Ray, Jack nor Wallace looked his way. We saw what he can do in Pheonix. My opinion it looks like he is passing shots to try and get it to Wallace and Jack. My observation just from 2/3 of 1 game. May be wrong!

We need you G-MAN!

Posted by: fox has to go!! | Feb 3, 2010 5:11:18 PM

I just hope that deal with Postolos gets done soon. That guy turned the Houston Rockets into an elite team, I guess he might be able to do wonders for the Bobcats (Hopefully). My only concern will be loosing Larry Brown as a Coach, but still, we all knew he was not going to last more than 2-3 years. I just can't wait to see Bob Johnson out of here!!!

Posted by: RobC | Feb 3, 2010 5:18:26 PM

"fox has to go"... I agree with you. I was saying the same thing on an ESPN blog during that Portland game. I remember one specific play that just baffled me. Diaw almost pulled up for the open three, but then passed it down to a double-teamed Jackson who proceeded to try and force a shot which of course had no chance and ended up being yet another turnover. I understand he likes European ball and would pass up his own shot to give someone else a better shot, but sometimes he's gotta grow a pair and realize that his shot IS the best shot. If I see one more ALMOST shot then pass to a defended Jackson or Wallace when he is wide the heck open, I may throw up in my mouth a little... just sayin'

Posted by: EricH | Feb 3, 2010 5:21:37 PM

My fear also is maybe he is being pressured "directed to", So to speak. To look to Jack and Wallace first. My Opinion! EricH your right, he doesn't need to be drawn a map, he is a big boy show what you(diaw) got!

Posted by: fox has to go!! | Feb 3, 2010 5:58:02 PM

They need to shorten the nba season. 82 games is way too much on the human body.

Posted by: wayne | Feb 3, 2010 5:59:59 PM

"Young Fella",Stephen Jackson, you are in for it tonight. The Mamba told Jim B (Warriors play by play man) the next time he played you to expect 50 lashes. Cat's fans don't expect a full game from your boy-he'll either foul out or get tossed; probably in the first half. I hope Child Protective Services there is to keep KB from completely abusing the "youngsta".

The Mamaba doesn't forget.

Posted by: heh8meN1 | Feb 3, 2010 7:18:05 PM

IMO, if Gerald doesn't play, I hope Derrick Brown gets the start at SF instead of moving Jack to SF and starting Flip. DB is a good defender and did quite well when Wallace fouled out in PHX. Doubt it will happen, but I like Flip better coming off the bench. DB brings energy too. Maybe I'm off base, but I think he has a lot to offer and will become a strong 6th man in the future, or starter if he goes elsewhere. Won't start here as long as we have Gerald unless he develops into a true PF.

Posted by: EricH | Feb 3, 2010 7:41:08 PM

Bench GW! Too important to the playoff run. Let Derrick Brown have some minutes guarding Kobe. See what happens. The kid is big, semi-quick, and very atheletic.

Posted by: BG | Feb 3, 2010 7:53:44 PM

Oh btw. I'm glad there's intelligent, enthusiastic talk on the CO.

Posted by: BG | Feb 3, 2010 8:04:11 PM

we're screwed either way with brown or flip starting. with brown.....then we have nobody to go to on the bench to sub for mohommed or diaw when they inevitably get in foul troule guarding gasol odom and bynum. we go to flip, and he's gotta guard bryant or artest.....or raymond does. we are screwed if wallace is a no go.

oh yea and for the uninformed.....if we don't make the okafor for chandler deal.....we can't make the stephen jackson deal.

Posted by: charlottean | Feb 3, 2010 8:36:21 PM

This Wallace character looks so charming (cornrows and tattoos)... the ultimate thug look. I think I saw his brother on that NBC show Lockup the other day.

Posted by: Uno | Feb 3, 2010 9:45:23 PM