« Sunday's Warriors-Bobcats links | Main | Bobcats give up game-day shootarounds »

March 07, 2010

Bell feels used by Bobcats

Some very interesting comments by former Charlotte Bobcat Raja Bell about how he feels manipulated by his former team, in regard to the left wrist injury he suffered in the preseason.

"I felt like I was used a little bit,'' Bell told the Contra Costa Times. "They played on the fact that I want to play and want to please, and they played on that and, uh, it cost me my season.''

Bell wanted to have arthroscopic surgery, to explore the extent of damage to his left wrist, following a preseason injury. He says he was talked out of that. Bell was trying to tough it out, to help the Bobcats reach the playoffs.

Eventually, following the trade to the Warriors (a deal that acquired Stephen Jackson), Bell did have surgery on what was, in fact, a torn ligament.

"At the end of the day, every decision is the player's,'' Bell continued. "They can't make you play. But let's just say there were none-too-subtle hints.that I needed to be playing and that I really needed to help the team by playing.''

I understand Bell's frustration. He thought he was risking his body because he was so crucial to the Bobcats' playoff chances, and then they ship him to a bad team to acquire Jackson.

I also know Bell was frustrated by the timing of that trade; He wishes, if he was going to be viewed as an expiring contract, that the Bobcats had dealt him over the summer, before he moved his wife and young family back to Charlotte.

But ultimately his own words -- "every decision is the player's'' -- count for a lot. Bell is a veteran and a very smart guy. He articulated the tradeoff shortly after the injury, telling me the competitor in him was in conflict with the businessman.

If he felt the Bobcats didn't have his best interest at heart, then he had the experience and savvy at the time not to just put up with it.

Posted by Observer Sports on March 7, 2010 at 10:01 AM | Permalink

Comments

Unfortunate, but that's the nature of the beast. The Bobcats did what was best for the team while Bell was here by encouraging to play through the injury. When Jackson wanted out of Golden State, the opportunity presented itself to acquire him, and Bell's expriing contract helped make it happen.

This may be asking Bell too much, but perhaps he should look at the bright side. If he were still here, he'd still be playing through the injury, risking even further damage. Once he got to Golden State, he had the surgery, and now he has a chance to hopefully recover for a strong season next year. Everybody wins?

Posted by: Newsinz | Mar 7, 2010 11:36:41 AM

Bell - how much do you make again TO play basketball? Used? I think you were compensated to increase your trade value and help our business. JackA$$.

Posted by: HJ | Mar 7, 2010 11:50:47 AM

He probably should have kept his mouth shut about his feelings. I was under the impression that the Bobcats might want to re-sign him once his contract expires, but I guess they wouldn't do that now.

Posted by: Authority | Mar 7, 2010 12:24:11 PM

Authority:
I'm pretty sure if Raja said this, he wouldn't be interested in returning to the Bobcats.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Mar 7, 2010 1:14:46 PM

I think Bell is highly smart, but he failed to realize that this game is business....he also have to realize that his production was in a slum. The cats of course needed a shot in the arm, and certainly the trade for Jackson was a good move. I regret he has that feeling looking at how the cats are playing this season. Hopefully like newsinz said, "this is a win-win situation."
Now Bell had the surgery, and he can contemplate on resuming his career. Hopefully, if he doesn't fit in the rotation for Golden State, there are lot of teams out there looking for a veteran like him. No high feelings he knows Brown love him from their days in Philly.

Posted by: nunu | Mar 7, 2010 2:07:26 PM

He wanted to play and wanted to please. Then, it was his decision. He's a grown man and a veteran. What a loser.

Posted by: lalaland | Mar 7, 2010 2:58:41 PM

Sounds like no shot of Bell coming back here in the offseason. Speaking of the offseason, Rick, could you clarify the Bobcats first round pick situation? I know they owe one in the Ajinca deal, and now one for the Tyrus Thomas trade. Is there any way they keep this year's first round selection? I think it may depend on whether they reach the playoffs or not.

Posted by: Ari | Mar 7, 2010 3:05:54 PM

Ari: I need to double-check the specifics on that. There's no doubt if they make the playoffs, they lose the pick to Minnesota (by way of Denver in the Ajinca trade). Worst-case scenario would be narrowly missing the playoffs and still losing the pick. (like what the Panthers face this April).
They cannot lose their pick to Chicago the year after giving up their pick to Minnesota, so the earliest they could lose a first-rounder to the Bulls is 2012.
That's an antiquated NBA rule from the days when the Cavaliers kept making foolish deals involving future first-round picks. What's silly about it is nothing would stop a team from trading a first-round pick in 2010, then drafting a player in 2011 and then trading his rights. The difference between that and promising other teams your first-round pick in consecutive years is technical only

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Mar 7, 2010 3:41:39 PM

Ari,
The bobcats first round pick this year is protected so that if we pick inside the top 12 we keep the pick. If we make the playoffs we will not be in the top twelve. However, if we don't make the playoffs we could still lose the pick if we got pick 13 or 14 from the lottery.
If we do pick inside the top 12 and keep the pick, it is protected in the top 10 in 2011, top 8 in 2012, and top 3 in 2013.
For the pick we just gave for Thomas, we can't lose that pick until at least 2012 since the NBA prevents trading a first round pick in consecutive years.

Posted by: d-run | Mar 7, 2010 3:51:55 PM

Thanks, Rick. Hopefully the worst-case scenario doesn't come true. It would really limit options to be left with little cap space and no first round pick on top of it. Somehow, the Cats really need Ajinca to come through and develop into a player. I'd take half of Brook Lopez.

Posted by: Ari | Mar 7, 2010 3:52:06 PM

why do i get a feeling coach brown will try to sign him back next year?

Posted by: joe cool | Mar 7, 2010 4:28:49 PM

So, he's whining like he was the Bobcats' nasty jump-off?

Posted by: Sweetwater | Mar 7, 2010 5:20:12 PM

The dude makes $5 mil a season to do what?

Posted by: Nick | Mar 7, 2010 5:58:45 PM

there is an nba team in charlotte?

Posted by: kevin | Mar 7, 2010 6:39:41 PM

Yeah there's an nba team in Charlotte.One that house the nba champions practically every time they play each other.

To bad about Bell. I had hopes that he may rejoin the team as a free agent this summer.
Oh well, I hate to tell him, but all employers use their employees. It's a symbiotic relationship. You should know that Raj.

Posted by: Geraldmutumbo | Mar 8, 2010 5:32:39 AM

Posted by: Geraldmutumbo | Mar 8, 2010 5:32:40 AM

Rick, is there any chance of Flip Murray coming back next year? I'd rather have him back than Raja Bell.

Posted by: Chris G. | Mar 8, 2010 8:55:53 AM

National experts say that Raja is considered to be one of the top defenders in the league and the player that consistently frustrates Kobe to the point that Kobe hates to play against him. He is a very smart and unsung player.

Posted by: Sweetwater | Mar 8, 2010 10:20:15 AM

LMAO....are you serious Bell?? You make more money than the teachers out here that teach kids that grow up to be doctors and space pilots. So shut the Phuuck up and go play where they tell you to play. Making that much money, an NBA Player shouldn't whine about too much. You're not in this for the "Love of the Game", none of the NBA players are.......they're in it because most don't have a degree and need to pay the mortgage and private parties. {Can't believe this clown is whining}

Posted by: Mackey | Mar 8, 2010 12:03:43 PM

good point by made Raja

Posted by: swiggy | Mar 8, 2010 12:04:09 PM

Rick: wouldn't they have had to remove the protections on the Denver pick to make the Chicago trade work?

Posted by: Michael Procton | Mar 8, 2010 1:51:07 PM

Rick I don't get this. How did they use him? The team did in fact NEED him to play because we didn't have anybody to play the 2! But the only problem was he wasn't as effective as they thought he would be. If he had have produced I'm sure they wouldn't have traded him away, but offensively he just wasn't giving us anything.......

Posted by: Smitty | Mar 8, 2010 5:24:34 PM

how did it cost him the season if he wanted to have surgery to begin with?

Posted by: charlottean | Mar 9, 2010 10:38:59 AM

Bell is a classy guy and a tough player, but every now and then, the truth just slips out. Don't fault him for speaking his mind.

Posted by: Deuce | Mar 9, 2010 4:17:38 PM