« Wednesday's Charlotte Bobcats links | Main | Why they're on a 4-game win streak »

March 10, 2010

Sixers, Clippers may each need a coach

I try to observe the difference between skepticism and cynicism but, my, how the coincidences have piled up the past two days.

-- SI.com runs a note, quoting unnamed sources as saying Charlotte Bobcats coach Larry Brown inquired about whether the Los Angeles Clippers would be interested in him coaching there again.

-- The Clippers issue a statement, saying they have severed ties with Mike Dunleavy. He'd already been fired as coach weeks ago and this meant he was also out as general manager.

-- The Philadelphia Inquirer runs a story this morning, saying 76ers coach Eddie Jordan will be fired by the end of the season, and that the Sixers will look for a defensive-minded coach.

That's a lot of coincidences, when you consider Brown's wife and two teenage children still live in Philadelphia, and the Browns  -- who first met in Southern California -- reportedly still own a home in Malibu.

I don't know if Brown is considering his options. I sure know he misses living in the same city with family, and that his wife doesn't seem motivated to move to Charlotte.

It would be a shame for the Bobcats, with all the good Brown has done here, if he moved on after the season.

Posted by Observer Sports on March 10, 2010 at 02:57 PM | Permalink

Comments

Wow. Big changes may be coming for the Bobcats.

New owner, new coach, and an important free agency season this summer.

Let's stay on the positive and try to see change as an opportunity.

Posted by: BallerCat | Mar 10, 2010 3:13:22 PM

I know it's early and maybe coach brown hasn't decided to leave yet, or maybe he has. Anyway the wife comes first, thats if he wants to keep her. Who do you think will be the coach next yr? Is there anybody on the staff that can take his place, maybe Phil Ford, he has been an assistant for a long time

Posted by: Deon | Mar 10, 2010 3:13:25 PM

Brown leaving the Bobcats doesn't make any sense. It's like getting the cute chubby girl to lose that weight and then dump her. Giggity!!

Posted by: LucasGotBurnt | Mar 10, 2010 3:28:19 PM

In the first place, I hope Larry Brown will decide to stay in Charlotte. On the other hand, if his family wouldn't join him here, I understand how important this is to him.

I hope the media won't keep stirring this issue during this critical part of the season, and also during the playoffs - if, as we hope, the Bobcats will make the playoffs. It's a distraction to the players, coming at the worst time. I remember coach Brown's last season with the Pistons. The team was making a playoffs run, and the sports media was full of rumors about the coach's interest in, and discussions with, other clubs; the players had to answer journalists eager to ask them what are they thinking about this. It was really ugly.

Of course, I don't mean specifically reporting by the Charlotte Observer. There's plenty of sports media around ready to jump on such scoops, and the local newspaper can't be behind the others. What I mean is that I hope Larry Brown won't say or do anything at all to feed into these rumors during the rest of this season. The players are finally showing a sense of urgency in the way they are playing now, and they deserve better than having to deal with any such distractions.

Posted by: Sandy | Mar 10, 2010 4:31:37 PM

lol @ lucasgotburned.....that's how i feel about it. BUT if he were to leave.....the worst part is that he's not grooming ANYBODY. we have no assistants with futures as head coaches. I'd love to see him bring in Lawrence Frank to be his head assistant and take the reigns if and when he does decide to bolt. i know its not gonna happen....maybe a former player of his...eric snow or somebody of that nature.

Posted by: charlottean | Mar 10, 2010 5:27:16 PM

Doug Collins is the guy if and when he leaves. He is also great at getting franchises to win quickly but he is much better than brown at being a gm. He was the one who wanted Horace Grant and Scottie Pippen.

And I know Brown is like a god to some of you but if this team gets distracted you have no one to blame but Larry. I don't know why everyone is so impressed by brown. He took a team that won 32 games and near the bottom in salary and may take them to about 42 win and near the luxury tax. Big deal.

Posted by: fanatic | Mar 10, 2010 5:55:16 PM

Doug Collins has ZERO shot. Jordan would never hire that jackazz. Anyone who would let their kid grow up to become the dolt that Chris is with Dook, deserves nothing short of a firing squad.

Posted by: PLEASE_SELL_MR_RICHARDSON!! | Mar 10, 2010 6:27:31 PM

This is negative news.....Brown indicated that once Jordan acquired the team, he would stay. So why the constant nagging from Rick about Brown's departure? Brown is not going to leave knowning what he has started building here in Charlotte.....eventually with the success of this team, his wife may be motivated to move here in Charlotte. So, kindly focus your news on the free agency period coming up. Will the team be able to acquired Bosh, Wade, Lebron or a point guard in person of Deron Williams, Chris Paul, etc?

Posted by: nunu | Mar 10, 2010 10:02:39 PM

phil ford is the replacement, it was the plan when he was hired to take over when brown leaves.

Posted by: joe cool | Mar 10, 2010 10:52:50 PM

I live in the NY/NJ area, so I must say the suggestion for Lawrence Frank was a good one. He's a hell of a young coach and did pretty well in his first go around in NJ. He reminds me of a young LB. Still, for the Cats sake, I would hope LB sticks around for a while. He has done a tremendous job with this team, changing the culture, the roster, the mindset, etc. Fanatic, it's still a big step to go from a team that lost over 50 games to the playoffs, you shouldn't discount that. As for Doug Collins, he's a solid coach too, but I think he's made it clear he's done with the NBA, oh and by the way, it was Jerry Krause that brought those guys into the Bulls, not Collins.

Posted by: Ari | Mar 11, 2010 3:30:08 AM

This may come back to bite me, but I don't see Brown going anywhere. He said that he was on board if MJ bought the team. That has happened, so I see no reason not to take Brown at his word.

Plus, Philly and the Clippers are really bad teams. They are considerably farther away from the playoffs than the Bobcats. I just can't see a coach his age signing up for another rebuilding project.

Posted by: G'boro Cats Fan | Mar 11, 2010 1:30:00 PM