« SVG: Jordan greatest? Not automatic | Main | Magic's Lewis hurt, says he'll play »

April 23, 2010

Stern declares war on ref-rippers

Sounds like Charlotte Bobcats coach Larry Brown and his players better be careful what they say about the referees the rest of this playoff series. When NBA commissioner David Stern gets agititated, he plays rough.

Posted by Observer Sports on April 23, 2010 at 09:34 AM | Permalink

Comments

I kind of think the Commish is right on this one....

Do the coaches remember what life was like when the "scab" referees came in? They were awful. The games lasted 4 hours because they called any and everything. We saw more free throws than actual jump shots. So you just have to take the good with the good and the bad with the bad. Because the best team is going to win the championship regardless of who the refs are.

Posted by: Smitty | Apr 23, 2010 10:01:19 AM

I'd like Stern and his refs to go. It's one of the big problems I've got with the modern NBA. Joe Crawford is a scum bag but I think everything he said in his book is probably true. They call things to help the star players and the big name teams. Always have, always will.

Posted by: Joshua | Apr 23, 2010 10:57:28 AM

Who even cares? The sport is fixed and have thugs calling the games.
NBA is nothing more than something that happens between the NFL season.

Posted by: JAY | Apr 23, 2010 11:05:02 AM

Yes, because the NFL hasn't got any "thugs" in it?

Posted by: Joshua | Apr 23, 2010 11:19:36 AM

Don't mess with the Commish::

Posted by: The Future | Apr 23, 2010 11:34:24 AM

THESE COMMISSIONERS HAVE TOO MUCH AUTHORITY TO THE POINT WHERE THEY THINK THEY ARE JUDGE AND JURY OF THE WORLD.. IT IS SICKENING HOW THEY ACT LIKE THE GREAT SLAVE MASTERS...STERN NEEDS TO GET THE RULES RIGHT HIMSELF. STOP SUSPENDING THE STARS IN THE PLAYOFFS FOR BIG GAMES OVER THE DUMB LEAVING THE BENCH RULE. YOU RUINED A SERIES WITH THE SUNS AND SPURS IN 2007.
GOODELL THINKS HE IS ABOVE THE LAW WITH HIS RULES. IF YOUR NOT GUILTY, YOUR NOT GUILTY!!

Posted by: EJ | Apr 23, 2010 11:40:43 AM

What a total non-surprise. David Stern has always thought that he was better than everyone else, and that the NBA is "his" - as opposed to belonging to the players, or the fans that pay their salaries. His attitude, "By gawd, this is MY league, MY sport, and I'll run it the way I want to! If I want certain players to advance, I will make it happen, and if you dare call me on it, by gawd you will PAY! I own this, I am GOD, so sit down and know your place!"

David Stern is garbage.

Posted by: J | Apr 23, 2010 11:41:51 AM

I don't even want to get started with this... I don't like Stern. My issues go back to the Hornet's Days. Don't talk about Stern's Minions, cause he'll show you. Just that simple fact right there is enough. I wish more would come out from Tim Donaghy. Maybe would be a bad thing for us big picture.

Posted by: fox has to go!! | Apr 23, 2010 11:46:16 AM

shouldn't david stern concentrate on upgrading his refereeing staff and not disciplining those that complain when a "loose ball foul" gets called on a guy who has the ball coming down from a rebound?

the worst to me is when the ball gets knocked outta bounds underneath the baseline and there's a ref RIGHT THERE 3 feet away from where it happened and they almost ALWAYS miss the call. happened twice in the okc/la game last night and atleast once in game 2 orl/cha. and i thought they could use replay now to determine out of bounds no?

Posted by: charlottean | Apr 23, 2010 11:55:41 AM

The players can quiet down, the coaches can quiet down, but if the refs continue to let Howard get away with his "super-star" status treatment the fans will not shut up about it. And if they let the idiot ref Spooner (that threw Larry out of a game last month) he'll get an earful the entire game.

These refs get paid a ton of money $150-550K per year for what equates to a part-time job, if they can't take the heat when they make blatent mistakes, they should find another job.

Posted by: BlockParty | Apr 23, 2010 12:01:09 PM

Wonder if a nice chant for stern all Arenas around the league would send Stern a nice message. "" Stern Su s!!""

See there I went and did it, I said I wasn't. I read all the way to the end of that article, wish I hadn't.

Posted by: fox has to go!! | Apr 23, 2010 12:05:45 PM

See here, Mr. Stern. I wouldn't have to question your referees if it wasn't so evident that they cannot see. Gerald was clubbed on the head by Dwight in game 1: no call. Jackson was hit in the face, causing his headband to fall down: no call. Stern, get your refs to get their heads out of their collectives nether-regions and no one will question the officiating as much.

Posted by: Yo | Apr 23, 2010 12:12:34 PM

If you pay attention, you can tell when the Refs admit that they blew a call (they will call the other team for some ticky-tack foul on the next play). But this is often a unbalanced return - when the first play equates to Dwight Howards 6th foul - and the pay-back foul is nothing more than Peitrus' 2nd.

No Ref can be perfect all the time - but they'll be the first to tell you that they CAN'T admit when they are wrong for lack of weakness.

Maybe there should be a "challenge" like in NFL where the coach can "challenge a fixed number of calls per game at penalty of losing a timeout". Let the coaches lobby for a better called game, but let them choose their battles better.

Posted by: on and on | Apr 23, 2010 12:51:45 PM

stern will be at the game tomorrow as michael guest, let give him an earful if the refs make bad calls, helll we should win this one, since we are better at home, i see this series at 2 games to 2..then we have a series..

Posted by: TEEMAC | Apr 23, 2010 1:34:36 PM

When I see King James foul out of a game..... wait.... if I see him get 4 fouls on him in one game then I'll start thinking things are fair. I think he's got 1.6 fouls this year. Yea, right.

Posted by: Joshua | Apr 23, 2010 1:54:27 PM

"The players can quiet down, the coaches can quiet down, but if the refs continue to let Howard get away with his "super-star" status treatment the fans will not shut up about it"

Amen BlockParty

Every time Howard has gotten the ball down low in this series, part of his posturing is to throw random elbows at Tyson/Nazr/Theo/Tyrus and act like he is just trying to get better position. And when they actually do call the fouls, Howard can't believe it. He's been so used to getting calls and elbowing his way to the basket since high school, that when the proper foul call is actually made, it completely baffles him.

At least for the next two games the home fans can yell at the refs, but they won't listen.

Posted by: 704Champ | Apr 23, 2010 6:05:00 PM

Way to go Stern. Insult the fans who support your fat ass. Go back to NY and stay there.

Posted by: Claydog | Apr 25, 2010 6:07:23 AM