« More pre-draft workouts | Main | The effect of a top-heavy payroll »

June 07, 2010

Brown: "I'm here, coaching....doing my job.''

Bobcats coach Larry Brown took questions following Monday's workout of draft prospects,so I posed this one: Have you made a decision on what you're doing next year?

Brown: "I'm here, coaching. So obviously I'm under contract, doing my job.''

So I followed up on whether that's a definitive decision.

Brown: "I'm here. If I wasn't here, that would be another thing.''

General manager Rod Higgins gave an interveiw later, confirming that everyone is working under the assumption Brown will coach the Bobcats next season.

More from Brown and Higgins later on the possibility of acquiring a draft pick and other off-season issues, including free-agency.

Posted by Observer Sports on June 7, 2010 at 11:47 AM | Permalink

Comments

Welp something obviously has to be done here. We got swept out of the playoffs and don't have any draft pics and very little money to work with.

Posted by: Smitty | Jun 7, 2010 11:51:38 AM

I think we are looking into this thing too much, that is true, it wouldn't make sense for him to workout potential free agent rookies or draft picks (Given a trade into the draft) if he didn't plan on coaching next year. It'd be like Brett Farve going to OTA's and people worrying about him returning or not next year. We might have some work to do, but the way Larry Brown eases rookies into playing time, our two draft picks from last year developing a year it's basically like gaining two more players that we didn't really utilize last year given a coaches decision. You've got to think that Gerald Henderson given an offseason with his pedigree will be better. And Derrick Brown with a season to develop his body to fill the backup PF role, we are upgrading our roster just through experience. If we were an aging team I would be concerned, but given the youth they have, things are looking far better than we are giving the team credit. In the NFL if you're not making moves you're getting worse, in the NBA it's different.

Posted by: Joe | Jun 7, 2010 12:14:25 PM

Who cares the Bobcats Blow!!!! It doesnt matter who coaches them!!!

Posted by: JD | Jun 7, 2010 12:20:29 PM

JD - thanks for the intelligent comment!

Posted by: Capt Jack's Pal | Jun 7, 2010 12:28:55 PM

Shut it, Jared Dudley! You're just bitter that Phoenix couldn't get past L.A. in the Western Finals. I was sorry to see you traded away, but I didn't know you were such a jerk. Jerk.

Posted by: Newsinz | Jun 7, 2010 12:30:00 PM

Blah blahblahblah!!

Posted by: JD | Jun 7, 2010 12:39:15 PM

JD>You care enough to post!At least you didn't say they could move or something in that nature!!

Thinking maybe JD is a Hawks fan?!!!Now they really got swept under the mat by points!!

Posted by: panfan1 | Jun 7, 2010 12:50:18 PM

Joe, I agree with your assessment but I don't think this is the season to make our move. That's why I think LB will stay one more year to get the ship steady. When he leaves after this year we will have cap space, picks, and a wealth of young emerging talent.

Posted by: cornchip | Jun 7, 2010 1:06:10 PM

I think a reporter just needs to ask straight up... "Yes or No Larry, are you coaching the Bobcats next year?"

Posted by: PantherDave | Jun 7, 2010 1:07:26 PM

How about we let him be...let's not smother the guy. You're gonna scare him away.

Posted by: On and On | Jun 7, 2010 1:23:20 PM

I agree the NBA sucks, what a joke!!

Posted by: JD | Jun 7, 2010 1:34:56 PM

On second thought, yeah the bobcats would be better off in another city! They will never win a championship in charlotte! Never!!!

Posted by: JD | Jun 7, 2010 1:36:33 PM

Funny how you haters of NBA are reading articles and taking time to post comments IN THE NBA SECTION!!!!!!!!! If you think it sucks so bad.. leave!

Posted by: TheRealm | Jun 7, 2010 2:31:20 PM

First of all I come to this conversation with "Street Cred". If the Bobcats had only listen,(Rondo, Crawford, and Gay, just to name a few of my suggestions). We would not be having this conversation. I think the Bobcats should make a push for Chris Paul and here is why. The Hornets are about the be sold and Shinn owes the Charlotte big time. What better way to mend fences than giving the city its' point guard for the next 10 years.
The Hornets already has a more than capable/cheaper backup. We could put Augustine in the deal(he is a former Louisiana HS star). I say this with respect having spent time in Louisiana, but New Orleans is going nowhere fast and Paul would be a waste of star power there. If we do not want or can not resign Felton than this option should atleast be explored.
The Bobcats could atone for not packaging picks and moving up to get him in the first place. It goes without saying his impact on the floor would give us a chance to win night in and night out.
Also I would try to sign David Lee and give the masses a white boy to cheer for, since you know they want one and he may actually be worth it.

Posted by: moboythunder | Jun 7, 2010 2:46:00 PM

"street cred" on the internet?

Posted by: charlottean | Jun 7, 2010 3:12:48 PM

"I'm here, coaching. So obviously I'm under contract, doing my job." Sounds like he really wants to be here...

Posted by: David | Jun 7, 2010 5:41:30 PM

I think if Bob Johnson or MJ had made that statement; "I'm here, coaching"; they'd been thrown under the bus for not committing to the city, the fans and the team. I like Larry, but he should be hold in that high standard as well. How do he think that makes the fans and players feel if he doesn't seem committed? He can't expect the fans, city and players to buy into what he's doing if he can't say that he's here for the long haul. I guess that's Larry being Larry. I just want more security when it comes to Larry making decisions that will effect the team now and in the years to come.

Posted by: Tyrone | Jun 8, 2010 7:18:01 AM

I just wish they would make him bring in a younger assistant that would be capable of running the show when he's gone. somebody like a lawrence frank or vinny del negro or whatever. somebody that can take over after this year because its quite obvious this is gonna be the last season if its this much work to even get committment for this year.

Posted by: charlottean | Jun 9, 2010 1:29:17 PM