« Team USA in locals' future? | Main | Diaw is an asset; figure it out »

July 20, 2010

Livingston on his knee injury

The Charlotte Bobcats made it official today, signing 6-foot-7 point guard Shaun Livingston. The team made Livingston available to local media. A couple of quick headlines:

-- Livingston suffered a horrible left knee injury as a Los Angeles Clipper (while playing against the Bobcats). I asked how this affects how many minutes he can play and how often he can practice. Livingston said there's no "cap'' (his word) on the minutes he can play, but that monitoring minutes, along with a lot of maintenance work on his knee and the surrounding muscles, is now part of his routine.

-- He acknowledged there was a real chance back in 2007 that he'd never play again: ""I was very close'' to retiring, said Livingston, who tore three of the four major ligaments in his knee, plus two dislocations. "There was a possibiity of nerve damage or blood(-flow) and cellular damage. That was the reality. But there wasn't.

"Rehab-wise, I was confident I could come back. If there was any chance, any light at the end of the tunnel, I was going to make it back. I just made that (resolution) in my mind.''

More from Livingston in tomorrow's Observer.

Posted by Observer Sports on July 20, 2010 at 02:22 PM | Permalink

Comments

Live it up Livingston! Shows what you got!

Posted by: Bobcats23 | Jul 20, 2010 2:37:35 PM

Any specifics on his deal? How long and how much did he sign for?

Posted by: Bill Bigsby | Jul 20, 2010 2:38:11 PM

If minutes are a concern, I guess DJ will be taking on more of the workload. Personally I'd rather have Calderone, but there aren't too many 6 foot 7 PG out there.

Posted by: Nick | Jul 20, 2010 3:00:17 PM

Livingston deal is 2 Years/$7M and a Team Option for a 3rd year.

Nick I also liked Calderon, but that deal was horrible due to his contract. Calderon's contract is almost $30M over 3 Years, he is good, but he is not that good. On top of that, he had a 10% trade kicker that he was not willing to waive. That means his contract would have been 10% ($3M) more expensive for the Bobcats.

As an example, Hedo was willing to waive his 15% trade kicker to go and play for Phoenix. Calderon was not willing to do that, what leads me to believe that he didn't want to be a Bobcats. Why, because waiving $3M that he is not going to earn in TOR anyway, plus giving up the opportunity to play with a team that I believe is better than the Raptors, plus he would've been the starter here, that is really stupid unless you simply don't want to go somewhere.

Posted by: RobC | Jul 20, 2010 3:20:19 PM

heck i wanted livingston over oakfor back in the org draft....

Posted by: Scott | Jul 20, 2010 3:30:34 PM

I hope this really works out well for Shaun and the Cats.

Posted by: apauldds | Jul 20, 2010 3:32:28 PM

Shaun Livingston will be a beast for the Bobcats! Mark my words...A 6'7" PG @ 24 years old with his basketball IQ is hard to find.
Calderon is not worth the money...he's just a good "role" player.

Posted by: Mayne | Jul 20, 2010 3:36:10 PM

Rick,

Any news on Dominic McGuire? Did the Bobcats actually signed him or is he an unguaranteed contract?

I haven't heard anything else about, and he is not listed in the Bobcats Roster, neither in ESPN, nor the NBA website. Any news about this?

I'm guessing that since the Bobcats now have: Thomas, Diaw & Najera, he is irrelevant.

Posted by: RobC | Jul 20, 2010 4:04:27 PM

When are we trading for CP3?

Posted by: Matt | Jul 20, 2010 4:40:04 PM

Regarding McGuire: per Yahoo's NBA site, it shows a 1 year deal. From the main page, click on the "Free Agent Tracker" link.

Posted by: Cats_Fan | Jul 20, 2010 7:27:28 PM

Adding Livingston to the Bobcats roster is supposed to be an improvement over losing Felton? While Felton certainly had his shortcomings as a player, you could not fault him for his leadership, both on and off the court. So to lose Felton with what Rick has reported as not even much of an interest in keeping him here, and to replace him with Livingston is a joke. At best, Livingston is an occasional starter who plays reserve minutes. And we all know that DJ is not the answer at the PG. Heck, picking DJ over Lopez is almost as awesome as picking Morrison over a water boy.

The Bobcats have a glaring hole at the point. And Livingston is not a good option. I may live to eat those words, but I doubt it.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 21, 2010 1:09:12 PM

No, Mike. It's supposed to be an improvement over the nonexistent PG we had backing up DJ before.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 21, 2010 1:12:01 PM

Check out this video of Livingston with the Wizards at the end of last season, and tell me you are not excited to have this dude on our team (FYI: the song that accompanies it has some pretty foul language).

Posted by: BT | Jul 21, 2010 5:46:11 PM

diaw's skills are an asset but mind set is a liability. we should package him,dampier's deal and DJ for cp3 or the best deal that's out there for us.

Posted by: erick vielot | Jul 24, 2010 12:55:40 PM