« Diaw is an asset; figure it out | Main | Team USA scrimmage worth a look »

July 22, 2010

They picked the wrong guy to victimize

Two quick reactions to the report that the home Charlotte Bobcat Stephen Jackson lives in here was invaded by armed robbers

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/22/1577971/armed-men-break-into-home-of-bobcats.html :

1. I so feel for his wife, who must have been terrorized by the experience.

2. To the guys who picked Jackson's family to victimize, I ask, "What were you thinking?''

Anyone who knows anything about Jackson gets that he's overprotective of people closest to him. His older brother was clubbed to death, and he's always been marked by the memory that someone should have been there to watch his brother's back. That was a factor in his participation in the brawl in Auburn Hills, Mich., when he was a Pacer and his firing a handgun outside a strip club as a Warrior.

(And Jackson is the first to say that's no excuse, just an effort at explaining his actions).

My point is Jackson is the last person you'd want holding a grudge, after you held his family at gunpoint.

I've seen a change in athletes the past few years, as far as them being highly protective of their privacy. Situations like this make that understandable. They're high-profile targets, and every time a team's schedule comes out, it's predictable when they'll be out of town.

So when athletes become a little prickly about revealing what they do in their off-hours, I get the reason.

Posted by Observer Sports on July 22, 2010 at 11:09 PM | Permalink

Comments

Rick, seriously. Take a deep breath.

Think.

Do you honestly think of ALL the high profile targets in CLT these home invaders just happened on Stephen Jackson?

Don't you think they knew exactly what they were doing? C'mon.

Next thing you'll say is that Adam Morrison is a lotto pick.

Posted by: JAT | Jul 22, 2010 11:46:20 PM

JAT......Of course they knew who the hell they were robbing ! Are you kidding me ? Anyone can find out where any pro athlete lives if they try hard enough, idiot !

Posted by: Elliot Motaleb | Jul 22, 2010 11:54:09 PM

Ditto Elliot's comments... These guys knew exactly who they were going after. It's not like it was some random house off a beaten path. Hope that Jackon's wife is ok...

Posted by: PantherDave | Jul 22, 2010 11:58:33 PM

Stephen, just play basketball. There are police and people who will make sure this doesn't happen again. You have too much to offer all of us than to get involved with the justice side of this. And please forgive me and any one of us for presuming that you would get involved.

Spend time with your family.

Posted by: Backerman | Jul 23, 2010 12:44:45 AM

Terrible for Jackson and an embarrassment for Charlotte. Can truly say that I'm ashamed that my home city let this happen. Rick is completely right. Intelligent and thoughtful blog post

Posted by: Antonio | Jul 23, 2010 12:48:49 AM

this is horrible. hopefully everyone is ok. while it sucks that it happened in char., but it could have happened anywhere...this in no way should reflect badly on the city. this isn't a regular thing in char. i know this will be in the nat'l media as it should be, but i hope it's not a beginning of a bad image.

Posted by: bunkombe | Jul 23, 2010 1:57:28 AM

JAT - Get a clue

Posted by: steve | Jul 23, 2010 7:42:47 AM

Rick, just a small correction SJax was still a member of the Pacers when you shot the gun outside the strip club. Check facts before you "ass"ume u know something.

Posted by: pl | Jul 23, 2010 8:14:58 AM

Stephan Jackson aka: The Punisher

Posted by: James | Jul 23, 2010 8:38:51 AM

Another NBA player you don't want to mess with? Delonte west on a three wheeled motorcycle while carrying a remmington shotgun, a .357 Magnum, and a 9 mm Beretta inside a guitar case.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 23, 2010 8:48:27 AM

"Stephen, just play basketball. There are police and people who will make sure this doesn't happen again."

You are referring to the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department, right?

Posted by: Brandon | Jul 23, 2010 9:12:00 AM

i feel for anybody that goes through this where you aren't there to defend your family. that helpless feeling as a man is the worst. These kinds of things happen everyday and end up far far worse in other countries. and charlotte used to be far more common for high profile robberies, it's toned down a bit over the past few years but I don't think it has ANYTHING to do with cmpd doing a better job.

If they find the people who did this and get them convicted that would be phenominal but i'm not holding my breath. A lot of apathy within our local government and enforcement authorities.

oh yea and it's kind of pointless to big up what a tough guy jackson is in this article....everybody can be touched. everybody. and jackson's not exactly in a position to deliver revenge. let these guys get found dead in a few weeks or a few years and suspect number 1 will be jackson a la vick these days.

Posted by: charlottean | Jul 23, 2010 9:23:51 AM

Maybe "ballerz" should quit sporting 10 carrot diamond stud earrings, 100k watches, and bling so much...meth and crack heads know its an easy pawn sale

Posted by: Tim | Jul 23, 2010 9:25:44 AM

Well maybe if the spoiled athletes of today would stop parading around flaunting their $500,000 necklaces and $50,000 watches they wouldn't be targeted.

Posted by: Syd | Jul 23, 2010 9:38:38 AM

Tim and Syd's posts reek of jealousy.

Posted by: Buckley | Jul 23, 2010 10:21:53 AM

Not very good robbers. They probably made out with less than a couple grand worth of stuff - a handgun, some wallets, and what looks like a bedazzled casio watch. Something seems fishy about the story. If you lock her in the bathroom why the need for a quick getaway?

Posted by: ed | Jul 23, 2010 10:37:51 AM

neighbors probably called the cops.

on the basketball side of things....we've officially missed out on all legitimate plan B bigs....ratliff signs with the lakers, howard with the heat, thomas with bulls. come on kwame brown.....

Posted by: charlottean | Jul 23, 2010 10:42:36 AM

Welcome MTV cribs

"look at all my nice stuff"
"here is where i keep my watches"
"these are my cars"
at the top of those stairs is expensive artwork"
"i keep my jewlery in this drawer"
"my rings are in here"
"and ya that was pretty much the entire layout of my house"

Thanks for stopping by. dont forget to google map my house so you can get familiar with the area. oh and use google maps street view for directions.

Thanks!

Posted by: Matt | Jul 23, 2010 11:14:51 AM

I hope these perpetrators are shot to death while resisting arrest. I'm sick of this strong-armed crime. The arrogance of these people knows no boundaries while they yet live.

Posted by: kingward | Jul 23, 2010 11:15:13 AM

If a player ends up in jail can a team void a contract? just saying...

Posted by: I used to sit near Buzz | Jul 23, 2010 11:46:30 AM

it depends on circumstances. the wizards were trying desperately to void the arenas contract last year and failed. atlanta falcons however, were successful in doing so with michael vick. depends on the contract, depends on the crime.

Posted by: charlottean | Jul 23, 2010 1:18:51 PM

Come on Rick ....this is taking it too far...I know you value your relationship with players but please keep it real...

Posted by: Scott | Jul 23, 2010 1:25:56 PM

I used to sit near Buzz,

If the athlete actually spend time in jail, the answer is yes.

Also, if an athlete injures himself because of a negligent action, the team can also void his contract (Exhibit A: Monta Ellis a few years ago, got injured after signing a big contract and he almost lost his contract).

Posted by: RobC | Jul 23, 2010 1:30:19 PM

Rick,

This is the most assinine piece of garbage I have ever had the misfortune of reading. Shall you ever consider a new career (which may be forced of you after this article), don't look into anything law-related. You have already demostrated your retardation in that field with this.

Posted by: Mike G | Jul 23, 2010 2:06:22 PM

I think Mike G has a crush on Rick.

Posted by: redhotdave | Jul 23, 2010 2:18:19 PM

I agree with Mike G.. It's pretty stupid to suggest that we should sympathize with Steven Jackson had he gone out looking for revenge wild west style.

Posted by: Chris | Jul 23, 2010 2:28:47 PM

@Mike G ur such a retard. This isn't an article. ITS A BLOG!!! Here is a definition from dictionary.com:

"blog: an online diary; a personal chronological log of thoughts published on a Web page.
Example: Typically updated daily, blogs often reflect the personality of the author."

Lets break that down. "a personal" meaning Rick's own, "chronological log of", an archived arrangment by date of, "thoughts", a judgement, opinion, or belief.

in lay-man's term, he can write whatever the F*** he wants troll

Posted by: Matt | Jul 23, 2010 2:30:35 PM

Wow, terrible incident for Jackson, his wife, and his entire family.

I hope they catch those guys...

Posted by: Deuce | Jul 23, 2010 2:32:31 PM

Terrible thing that happened. I feel sorry for the wife. And it a negative staoin on the city. The problem is the CMPD are so busy pulling people over for BS and trying to get ticket money and DMV fines. It is no secret. They are never around for any violent or serious crime prevention.
It is the shakedown for money. Truly thinking of leaving this once nice city.
SCAM city USA!

Posted by: E | Jul 23, 2010 3:54:36 PM

Hey Matt I think Delonte West was auditioning for the sequel to the Antonio Bandaras movie.

Posted by: bobcats1 | Jul 23, 2010 5:00:19 PM

jac we need you your fam needs you let cmpd handle it

Posted by: reggie | Jul 23, 2010 5:31:08 PM

E, i don't know about all that. the way people are driving these days, i don't see them pulling enough people over. keeping drivers in check is a serious thing also, people take it lightly but check the stats on vehicular homocides vs. robbery victims murdered. i don't know what to say about cmpd though because wherever their priorities lie......crime is allegedly generally down or was last year, we've had a large wave of just Bull ish the past 6 months or so and there is a whole lot of apathy in the department regarding break ins, vandalizations, auto-thefts, etc. I think it falls more from the judicial side of things but something has to give. I mean i've seen situations with specific suspect information given to police and they can't locate the guy when his last known whereabouts were less than 5 minutes past and you have his make model, tags, general direction in 5 o clock traffic.

but speaking of victims, i doubt jason richardson can get 1.9 mil for that house these days. it's a nice house and everything but the guy who built it paid $275k for it. and now he's probably losing his tenant. hard times.....

Posted by: charlottean | Jul 23, 2010 5:48:14 PM

275k for the land.

Posted by: charlottean | Jul 23, 2010 5:49:20 PM

I recently dealt with more than one burglar in the last 2 months in my apartment, and my car was stolen a few weeks ago. Stephen Jackson is a changed man and you should be ashamed that you used this as an opportunity to bring up his past like that. You have no clue what you're talking about. Stay true S-jack, we love ya.

Posted by: Carolinakid22 | Jul 24, 2010 6:10:54 AM

yo jax i hope you is ok and your family is doing ok, look closely as your fam's friends and maybe even in laws..check your schedule and go over your records who been in you house the last year..this was a set up all day..these are out of towner boyz.and you know this..tweet back i am your home boy who is in the game you know i know, tried to call you and tweet no response, so i am trying the country town paper..holla a t me you boy A..

Posted by: baller knows and tweeter | Jul 24, 2010 12:12:18 PM

NO FORCED ENTRY. GATED COMMUNITY. This was a set up. His wife did it.

Posted by: Randomguy | Jul 24, 2010 2:00:39 PM

I heard most of the stuff stolen was his wife's stuff, because they are headed for a divorce. Jack is my favorite Bobcat, so I hope he can can survive this mess, and keep his head up. Maybe he can get average that triple double, like Larry wants.

Posted by: JC | Jul 25, 2010 3:09:05 AM

I'm with E, the CMPD are never around when something bad like a robbery or shooting occurs! I see so many of them huddle up all in one bunch talking to each other instead of being spread out doing some real police work! IF you don't believe me, go to the EpicCenter on Saturday nights! You'll see what I'm talking about! On another note, keep your head up Jax, we love ya man!

Posted by: jah p | Jul 25, 2010 1:14:19 PM