« LIVE chat with Scott Fowler noon-1 today | Main | No hop-scotch this season for TV games »

October 13, 2010

Najera back on the court

Some small good news on the Charlotte Bobcats' injury front Wednesday: Forward Eduardo Najera (sports hernia) has been cleared to run plays in practice, although he's still at least a week away from full 5-on-5 contact drills.

Najera came to the Bobcats as part of the deal with Dallas that swapped Tyson Chandler for Erick Dampier's unguaranteed $13 million salary. The Bobcats waived Dampier to get the payroll below the luxury-tax threshold, but part of the price for that deal was taking Najera's and Matt Carroll's contracts off the Mavericks' payroll.

This was Najera's first court time in about six months, following surgery. He said he felt an abdominal pull while working out, and an examination confirmed the sports hernia. This was his second surgery in about two years for that injury.

"I felt kind of weak out there, but it's good to get some warm-up, run some plays and get back to basketball,'' Najera said. "I've been running and doing a lot of rehab, but I'm sure it's going to take a while to get my rhythm.

"In another week, I would assume I'll start going 5-on-5, going full speed.''

Posted by Observer Sports on October 13, 2010 at 02:39 PM | Permalink

Comments

That will put us over the edge, can you imagine the heat trying to guard this guy?????

Posted by: tpnay | Oct 13, 2010 3:10:48 PM

Rick, how do you feel about our preseason. I haven't seen many Ws. Should we be concerned or is it too early?

Posted by: Nick | Oct 13, 2010 4:04:14 PM

well the panthers had three loses during the preseason but they... never mind

Posted by: jeremy | Oct 13, 2010 4:15:35 PM

*losses

Posted by: jeremy | Oct 13, 2010 4:15:55 PM

OKAY EVERYBODY LETS DONT PANIC ABOUT PRE-SEASON LOSING, YOU KNOW HOW LARRY BROWN AND MJ WORK; THEY'LL PLAY 20 GAMES AND IF THE TEAM DOES'NT SEEM TO BE WINNING LB WILL GO TO MJ AND COMPLAIN AND MJ AND HIGGINS WILL TRADE SOMEBODY ON ROSTER TO IMPROVE THIER WINNING CHANCES; CARMELO ANTHONY NAME MAY COME UP, CHRIS PAUL NAME MAY CAME UP, ARARON BROOKS NAME MAY COME UP.
BUT IF DJ FLOURISH AND TEAM IS WINNING, WITN A RECORD OF 15-5 OR 14-6 OR 13-7 BOTTOM LINE IF THERE ARE MORE WINS THAN LOSSES CHARLOTTE WILL FEEL GOOD ABOUT THIS TEAM AND WONT MOVE ANYBODY. BUT IF CHARLOTTE LOSES, LOOK FOR ALOT OF TRADE TALKS AND A BLOCK BUSTER TRADE.
FOR WHAT I I'VE SEEN IN PRESEASON, THE BOBCATS SHOULD CUT OR TRADE MATT CARROLL, CUT SHERRON COLLINS, AND CUT OR TRADE EJERA
DALLAS TWO THROW INS NEED TO BE THROW OUTS LB STYLE DOES'T NOT FIT THE POOR DEFENSE OF MATT CARROLL, I LIKE CRITTON KID AND MATT ROGERS, AND DARUIS MILES HAS EXPERIENCE AND COULD FIT NICELY WITH LB DEFENSE FIRST STYLE OF PLAY. AND IF SHAUN LIVINGTON CAN GET HEATLHY I THINK HE WILL BE A GOOD ASSET IF NOT, CRITTION HAS THE OPPORTUNITY TO TAKE HIS 2ND AND CHALLENGE DJ FOR A STARTING ROLE.

Posted by: RAHSHON GAMBLE | Oct 13, 2010 4:31:11 PM

Nick:
I need to answer that question two ways:
1. Never pay much attention to preseason results, particularly when Larry Brown is coaching. He treats preseason games for what they really are; controlled scrimmages. He's experimenting with combinations and sets and couldn't care less what the scoreboard says.
However....
2. Wilmington was the best training camp I've covered in over 20 years on the NBA beat. Still, this is the same team with the same obvious flaw (challenged to create easy scoring opportunities). Same old team, same old result (assuming health) -- 43 victories, one of the last two playoff spots, get thumped in the first round by Miami, Orlando or Boston.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Oct 13, 2010 4:31:13 PM

IF WE ARE TO ENTERTAIN A TRADE THIS THE ONLY TRADE I WOULD LIKE TO SEE

CARMELO ANTHONY
J.R SMITH
KENYON MARTIN

FOR

GERLAND WALLACE
MATT CARROLL
BORIS DIAW
1ST ROUND PICK
DESANGA DIOP

AT 1ST THIS TRADE MAKES NO SINCE BUT DENVER GETS NERVOUS AT TRADE DEADLINE AND MAKES THIS DEAL GAIN SOMETHING IN RETURN FOR CARMELO.

Posted by: RAHSHON GAMBLE | Oct 13, 2010 4:37:00 PM

OKAY WILL NEED MELO TO SIGN EXTENSION OR THIS WHOLE DEAL IS OFF JACK

Posted by: RAHSHON GAMBLE | Oct 13, 2010 4:38:34 PM

I GOT THE PROFECT IDEA LETS
TRADE

BORIS DIAW
MATT CORROLL
E.NEJERA
D.DIOP
TO NUGGETS

AND GET

KENYON MARTIN
J.R SMITH
R.BALKMAN

THIS TRADE IS GOOD BECAUSE WE WILL GAIN 23MILLION AND EXPIRING CONTRACTS AND THAT WILL GIVE US SOME ROOM TO GET A ON OR TW0 GOOD PLAYERS IN NEXT YEARS FREE AGENCY
DENVER NOT GOING TO RE-SIGN K-MART OR J SMITH AND BALKMAN IS A THROW AND SHOULD BACK UP TYRUS THOMAS WELL AND IF K-MARTIN PLAYS WELL AND J-SMITH PLAYS WELL WE COULD ALWAYS RE-SIGN NEXT YEAR CHEAPER IF AVAIABLE THIS IS A WIN WIN DEAL FOR US AND FOR DENVER THEY NEED A CENTER TO BACK UP NENE AND POWER FORWARD THAT'S READY TO PLAY NOW K-MART IS STILL RECOVERING.

Posted by: RAHSHON GAMBLE | Oct 13, 2010 4:59:26 PM

Ugh...hello Rashon...

STOP USING ALL CAPS!

Thank you.

Getting Najera healthy will do little to help this team. I trust Rick when he says camp was good. I'm glad it was. But a good camp cannot cure the weakness we have at the 5 and 1. Real games will tell the tale. If we start having issues early I doubt we luck into a quality disgruntled player again like last season.

Posted by: Bassman | Oct 13, 2010 5:33:14 PM

Thanks for the info on the good camp Rick. I will take your word on that. Go Cats!

Posted by: 1CrazedCatFan | Oct 13, 2010 6:32:13 PM

Najera was a great effort player during his first stint in Dallas, but I'm afraid injuries and age have probably left very little in the tank at this point. He barely played with the Nets the last two seasons and when he was on the court there wasn't much production. Too bad he's not younger bc he probably would be a LB type player. Maybe he shows some glimpses of his old form if given the chance, but I wouldn't count on it.

Posted by: Ari | Oct 13, 2010 7:37:17 PM

WHY ARE SOME PEOPLE SO IN LOVE WITH THE CAPS LOCK....

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Oct 13, 2010 9:23:19 PM

please explain to me why carmello would allow himself to be traded to charlotte? I'll wait... we do need to make a move though 'cause we definitely haven't gotten better this off season, in fact we're probably a bit worse considering we lost felton. also, I don't subscribe to this 'preseason means nothing' crap. we don't have the type of team that will just start winning 'cause W's and L's are being counted. sure we may dive on the floor a bit more or shorten the minutes of the second team but so will other teams. what you see now is definitely a good representation of what we'll be this season, just hope it's good enough to get back to the playoffs.

Posted by: jenk | Oct 14, 2010 10:26:39 AM

Rick

Please one of your Top 10 lists on this subject:

Top 10 reasons why "Wilmington was the best training camp I've covered in over 20 years on the NBA beat".

Thanks. Love your show.

Posted by: uahal | Oct 14, 2010 10:31:13 AM

Let's see how DJ does as starting PG at the beginning of this season. I think if we have to make drastic moves it may be in that position. I get that this is the next level but I think Sherron Collins, given time to develope, could contribute.

Posted by: Nick | Oct 14, 2010 10:43:40 AM

uahal:
I don't need a top 10 list or A CAPS LOCK. Just an impression or two:
1. Larry Brown is a very cerebral coach, and training camp goes heavy on teaching. That challenged some players the first two years because so much was thrown at them in a short amount of time. I didn't see so much of that this camp, and I think it's because the core has been with Larry awhile, and can help with the translation to those who haven't.
2. The two best players -- Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson -- are also the most competitive. When the guys with the most job security practice like they have unguaranteed contracts, it sets a standard for the rest of the team. The scrimmages were intense in a way you don't always see the second practice of two-a-days. That has to help

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Oct 14, 2010 11:41:53 AM

najera being injured for the whole year actually would have been a good thing. little insurance money, little roster exemption.

and can you clowns please stop with the dream trade scenarios. unless it involves minnesota or the clippers there probably isn't a gm/front office in the league that would actually make a deal with us that would benefit us. we're outmatched in that department and have been and will continue to be heavily taken advantage of by other teams (i see you chicago, i see you dallas, i see you dallas again, dallas please stop trading with us you're killing me, mr. cuban we are not your farm team and or salary dump yard, etc.)

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 14, 2010 12:37:33 PM

charlottean:
What do you mean by a roster exemption? Najera would count against the 15-man max, regardless of whether he's injured or not. The league on very rare occasions, grants a 16th spot if you have several players injured and none figures to be back any time soon. Those are few-and-far between

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Oct 14, 2010 2:02:05 PM

exactly. if najera was out we would definitely get one.

do you think livingston and greg oden will be fighting for the mvp award this year? do you think nazr is going to hold up better than he did last year? kwame's already got a little something and we haven't even gotten to wallace who is one concussion away from being required to wear a helmet while playing. the more of these guys that would just call it a year the better chance we get at do-overs on some unfortunate signings/trades.

as it stands right now we are going to be forced to play diop and boris is our backup pointguard.

either way we should probably waive the guy. he was a solid bench player in his younger days but we really need that spot for something else.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 15, 2010 1:45:22 PM