« Miles, Rogers waived | Main | Some thoughts at the end of a long day »

October 22, 2010

The strange case of Adam Morrison

I think there are way too many people these days who take satisfaction in others' troubles. I find that a little sick. But I do think there are lessons in why certain people fail, and certainly so in the case of Adam Morrison.

Morrison was waived by the Washington Wizards this week. That followed several years when his presence on the Los Angeles Lakers was due only to a sizeable guarantee.

Obviously the Bobcats made the original mistake of drafting him third overall, when Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay were still available. But to me, the turning point for Morrison happened after his rookie season and after he'd recovered from his knee injury.

It was that half-season playing for Larry Brown, when he seemed so scared to shoot. He was so hyper-conscious of the town's expectations that he played dramatically worse at home than on the road (not that he was playing well on the road). One night Brown put him in a game, and every time the ball hit Morrison's hands, he'd immediately pass it, like it was made of Plutonium.

After that game, Brown posed this question: How could he play Morrison -- a guy whose only real skill was as a scorer -- if he refused to shoot? Sometime around then, Brown asked Morrison how he couldn't have grasped the attention that being the No. 3 overall pick entails. Basically, Morrison wanted to collect that huge salary and never experience the expectations that went with it.

So then he goes to the Lakers in a trade and hardly ever plays. Granted, Phil Jackson had a lot of options at small forward, but wouldn't you think if Morrison was an NBA player, at least one of two Hall of Fame coaches would have figured out how to use him?

And then Morrison shows up in Washington, on an unguaranteed deal with a team needing a makeover, and gets cut before the regular season.

Adam just doesn't have the emotional makeup for this. He didn't compete and he didn't do nearly enough to work on his weaknesses. He's lucky he made a bunch of money before all that was confirmed, but his was one of the odder careers I've covered in the NBA.

Posted by Observer Sports on October 22, 2010 at 08:51 AM | Permalink

Comments

What about my case Rick? I want a case of beer, and some donuts.

Posted by: Sean May | Oct 22, 2010 9:26:51 AM

I still can't get over the fact we did'nt draft Brandon Roy. MJ's second biggest blunder, superceded only by the abonimation known as Sam Vincent.

Posted by: FuriousStyles | Oct 22, 2010 9:40:21 AM

Um, Sean, you mean drafting YOU ahead of Charlie Villaneuva wasn't the most bonehead move this franchise has made?

Posted by: bulkpro | Oct 22, 2010 9:56:35 AM

Forget Kwame Brown...Adam Morrison is officially the worst pick ever in the history of the league. Unfortunately both were made either by, or under, Michael Jordan. As interesting an enigma as Morrison is, this brings up a fascinating question about MJ; what is it about him that led him to make the 2 biggest blown ppicks (value relative to position) in NBA history? It has to be some quality he saw in these players that he over-valued beyond basketball rationale. Morrison never had a game built for the NBA. Despite his amazing scoring in college, he had none of the athleticism, defense and quickness needed at the next level. As for Kwame, he had size and some big man skills, but did he ever really demonstrate anything at the level needed for the NBA?

Both players came in with a lack of mental toughness. At least Kwame is still playing (when he's not hurt) and I think he'll contribute some to the Cats. Adam is back in the Northwest or wherever...but he has a championship ring and a lot of money. How profoundly sad is that.

Posted by: Bassman | Oct 22, 2010 9:58:08 AM

TWO (2) championship rings.

Posted by: Newsinz | Oct 22, 2010 10:15:23 AM

Sorry it didnt work out better for him but it was hard for me to support him when he would always jump on the refs every time he touched the ball and claimed to be fouled.

Posted by: AndOne | Oct 22, 2010 10:56:28 AM

The funny thing about Morrison is that coming into the league, supposedly the great thing about him was his work ethic and leadership. He was an "intangibles off the charts" kind of guy, almost like Tim Tebow. I guess he just lost his confidence once the competition got tougher. I hope I'm wrong, but there's another local athlete who reminds me of Morrison, in that he was drafted relatively high after dominating at a mid-level school but looks like he's lost his confidence in the pros... Armanti Edwards.

Posted by: Caylor | Oct 22, 2010 10:59:21 AM

Newsintz:
You implying Adam being on two title teams counts as a resume is like saying the guy who buys the winning lottery ticket is a master gambler.
AndOne:
In fairness to Adam, he didn't complain to refs nearly as much as Jack does.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Oct 22, 2010 11:33:19 AM

Football is much different than basketball. Armanti is just expected to make a few big plays throughout the course of a season. The Bobcats drafted Morrison to be their franchise player.

Posted by: rico2221 | Oct 22, 2010 11:35:50 AM

Hey Rick,
Can you tell us once and for all if it was Jordan who drafted Morrison or if it was Bickerstaff?

Posted by: Facts | Oct 22, 2010 11:39:31 AM

Rico2221:
Of course, if Adam had been a football player, the Bobcats would have cut him (since most of his guarantee would have been in a signing bonus) rather than trade him.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Oct 22, 2010 11:44:15 AM

Little early to start judging Armanti's abilities...He's trying to learning a new position that he rarely played and this is his rookie season. He's shown a few flashes and I think he will eventually be a steady contributor, but there is a learning curve and Carolina fans need to be patient. Besides a lot of 3rd round picks take a few years to step up(James Anderson and Charles Godfrey come to mind), and receiver is one of the hardest positions to learn in the league ...No one asked SF Adam Morrison to be a defensive stopping center, they asked him to do what he was good at:shoot the ball. Unfortunately the Bobcat's couldn't see that he was an unathletic stiff with a terrible work ethic and bad attitude and when the going got tough, he gave up.

Posted by: Dude | Oct 22, 2010 11:44:48 AM

That's an interesting point Facts, Jordan only joined the organization a few weeks before drafting Morrison. He still had the final say, but I'm guessing he went mostly on Bernie's advice. Bernie wasn't any better drafter than MJ, proven by Sean May. BB also said before the '04 draft that if the Bobcats had a choice between Emeka Okafor and Dwight Howard, he'd take Okafor.

Posted by: Caylor | Oct 22, 2010 12:12:02 PM

It's a sad story. As Rick explained above, the pressures of playing in the NBA seemed to be too much for Adam. Still, the talent and the passion for the game that he showed at Gonzaga, and at least in some of his games in his first NBA season couldn't just evaporate into thin air, could they? If Adam will try playing abroad, I wish him all the best.

To Facts: Bernie Bickerstaff's original preference was Rudy Gay (for his athleticism). Michael Jordan saw some good reasons to oppose this choice, and preferred Adam. At that time, Adam had a great college ball resume, and looked like a competitor, who can be a clutch time scorer for the 'Cats. Then, Bernie proposed a compromise: Brandon Roy, an excellent college scorer. Still, MJ stuck with his preference.

I really can't blame MJ for his choice, Adam had a lot to show for himself at that time. It wasn't like buying a cat in a sack (like with Kwame, right out of high school). I just turned out bad.

Posted by: Sandy | Oct 22, 2010 12:25:46 PM

Last line should be: IT just turned out bad.

Posted by: Sandy | Oct 22, 2010 12:29:18 PM

Maybe it was a case of drafting for "need" rather than raw "talent." Whatever the case, I partially blame the Bobcats organization for canonizing Morrison before he was able to do anything other than have a cool mustache and mullet. Honestly, they tried to sell Morrison merchandise based entirely on his image - not his talent. And it's not like this kid played college ball in a huge market town where he knew what to do with the attention. Gonzaga is in SPOKANE, WASHINGTON.

Posted by: On and On | Oct 22, 2010 12:44:47 PM

Facts:
Obviously I was not in the room when that decision was made. But to the best of my knowledge, Morrison would not have been Bernie's choice at No. 3.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Oct 22, 2010 1:11:20 PM

Adam Morrison is no bust! And he wasn't picked too high! Morrison was the sickest college player of his time and he showed it night in night out! I have seen him play in college, he literally was unbelievable and everywhere he went the house was packed! MJ made a good choice, it's just unfortunate for everyone involved that Morrison busted his knee, it's hard to bounce back form such an injury. Even Kobe said, Adam can really really play he's just a player with 1 and a half legs.

Posted by: AT33 | Oct 22, 2010 1:17:31 PM

Great article Rick! I would love to read a story about NBA busts and if there is a common thread among them.

Bassman: I think the on that Jordan over-values the competitiveness quality of some guys and overlooks some red flags in the process especially as it has to do with physical skills (Morrison = slow; Kwame = small hands).

Also guys remember Brandon Roy kinda "faked" an injury and never came to charlotte to work out for either Bernie or MJ.

Posted by: GymRat41 | Oct 22, 2010 1:39:08 PM

Yes, I remember the difference before the injury. He was aggressive and was scoring 10-20 points a game. He wasn't shooting particularly well, but looked mobile and drew double-teams on a few occasions because he was so active. He moved a lot without the ball and seemed to come off picks quite well - he reminded me of Dale Ellis in this regard. Unfortunately, for some reason, things started to go south - I'm not sure why - and then the injury basically did him in. I can't imagine that Larry Brown, as demanding as he is, was much help - he's not great with rookies - Darko Milicic suffered under this guy. Morrison apparently lost confidence completely, probably he wasn't able to use his body like before - for some players, that's a killer. I've heard that about KiJana Carter - the injury just killed his sense of his body and how he used it as a runner. Either way, it's really sad, cuz this guy was a lot of fun to watch in college.

Posted by: yurgus | Oct 22, 2010 2:02:30 PM

For the love of God, PLAY DERRICK BROWN!!!

Posted by: I'm Smarter Than You | Oct 22, 2010 2:23:08 PM

I agree both picks of K. Brown and A. Morrison were bad. But I think everyone fails to remember that Number 2 pick in the 2003 Draft by Detroit. Picking Darko Milicic, when Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade and others were still available. I know Detroit had a good team then but I'm sure any GM would be willing to make space for a new star.

So there are many bad decisions every year. lets not forget about the Raptors 2004 N.8 pick, Rafael Araujo. The only reason Brown & Morrison are still remembered is because they are still in the league. Araujo only lasted 3 years, i think that is sadder than a N.1 draft pick that is still in the league even though it has failed to show why he was picked N.1

Posted by: JCN | Oct 22, 2010 2:36:39 PM

if we didn't pick him, he would have been the number 4 pick. it wasn't a bad pick, the guy is STILL capable of scoring on anybody in the nba but he was more so skilled prior to the knee injury. he never blows his knee out, we aren't having the same conversation about the guy.

and if you run back that 1/2 season under brown, brown would put him on the floor with .9 seconds left in each quarter and draw a play up for him cold. that's where atleast a fourth of his shots that year came from.

and let's not act like we missed the boat big time that year. we didn't draft oden over durant. we drafted morrison over thomas, gay and roy. we have thomas, we used morrison to get stephen jackson and gay isn't winning anything regardless of how talented he is. not to mention gay just commanded a HUGE contract. if we drafted gay, we deplete any value gerald wallace has.

morrison is still capable of being a player in this league and I still believe that you could run an offense through him successfully in a hedo turkolu kind of way. he never got that chance. you have to judge guys based on the opportunities they were given and morrison had a rookie year with a new struggling franchise, and then he blew his knee out. that's the end of the story, he never got a real chance after that.

imagine if kevin love blew his knee out after his rookie year and came back and they had hired kurt rambis and traded for michael beasley and didn't trade al jefferson. then what?

imagine if we had drafted roy and morrison had gone to portland (where he probably dreamed of going). we might have been talking about this in reverse. it's just such a 20/20 hindsight issue where the guy absolutely dominated college basketball and ABSOLUTELY showed he could do that at the pro level as a ROOKIE.

and then he blew his knee out.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 22, 2010 2:51:11 PM

Hey Rick
With that new D-league and NBA deal, where you can keep the rights of 3 players you let go while in training camp, or something like that. Do you see them signing Rogers or maybe others to their Dleague sqaud to whole their rights. Or am I confused on the whole concept

Posted by: Deon | Oct 22, 2010 3:02:35 PM

Your first sentence says it all. People seem to take extreme delight in other people's failures. I would never want to be a professional athlete. Your successes and failures are on display for the entire world to see and ultimately judge. In reality they are human but held to a higher standard based on the check that they draw on payday. People assume that because they buy tickets they have the right to spit venomous remarks on a regular basis. I have been guilty at times too. However, I have chosen to keep that ugliness away. It's the same as bullying, IMO. I can't imagine anyone plans to fail, especially a professional athelete. For many it's the love of the game that encourages them to compete. I have opinions but I won't share them in a ugly, hateful manner anymore.

Posted by: Digal704 | Oct 22, 2010 3:27:30 PM

For those of you knuckleheads trying to insist Kwame Brown and/or Morrison as the worst draft pick of all time, I present to you evidence to the contrary:

The entire 1986 draft other than Len Bias at #2.

What a collection of stiffs!

Posted by: J | Oct 22, 2010 3:58:42 PM

Adam Morrison was given the opportunity of having the green light his rookie season. He is simply unable to defend players on the perimeter,especially when he gets beat, his foot speed is far too slow to recover. When he was drafted people knew this but they believed that his offensive output would overshadow this defect. Instead he didn't shoot the ball particularly well, and suffered a crucial injury that further hampered his already lacking athletic abilities. All of these factors plus a reported lack of confidence were his demise.

Posted by: Steven | Oct 22, 2010 4:22:43 PM

I was never convinced that Adam's troubles are due to some "lingering effects" of his knee injury. I don't know of anyone in the league - coach, scout, or professional journalist - or, Adam himself, saying that this IS positively the drag on his game in the last two years. I mean, with players like Darius Miles or Shaun Livingston it's known what was lost in their game after their return from injuries. Not so with Adam. What was observable was the loss of confidence, that Rick wrote about.

I remember AM's rookie season: it was a mix of the good and the bad, some very good performances and quite a number of lousy ones. The talk about his confidence not matching up to the huge expectations the team and the fans had from him was on then already. His season averages were definitely below expectations. I remember the doubts already surging in '06, before the All Star break.

Now, I'm not saying that it's all emotional with him. I actually mean to say that there are underlying physical problems, and that they undermined his confidence to compete at this level from his rookie year.

Everybody knows Adam is less strong and less athletic than about all other wings in the NBA. You saw Phil Jackson always preferring to play Shannon Brown over Adam, although S.B. is far behind Adam in skills and game savvy. But S.B.'s physical advantage prevailed. And then, there is his diabetes. Nobody wants to talk about it, least of all Adam; I guess he doesn't want to look like he's making excuses. But, it's there, it takes a heavy toll on anyone's body, it makes it a lot harder to compete as a pro. This is why AM achieved below expectations as a rookie. All his great games - that's his skills and competitiveness. All the bad ones - that's when he was drained, when he didn't have his legs anymore. And that badly sapped his confidence, which led to more poor performances.

Under Larry Brown: he knew that Larry wants defense first, he knew that his offensive production has to be way above the average to justify playing him despite weak defense, and that explains why he became so afraid to shoot. He seemed to fear that after missing one or two shots, Coach will lose his patience and bench him. That's why, every time he did something wrong in offense he was looking back at the bench, with an "What can I do?! Crap happens..." look on his face.

Briefly, emotionally he couldn't face up to the demands of playing in the toughest league in the world. His physical limitations showed up in his game (in the amount of time he can maintain the necessary level of energy, or in his defensive ability), and then, they led to a loss of confidence that only dragged him down worse.

It's very sad, when you think of his skill set, love of the game and competitive spirit.

Posted by: Sandy | Oct 22, 2010 5:09:05 PM

i said this earilier in morrison career, but no one believes me, the reason why adam morrision never succeded in the nba is because he was a pot head, and he was lazy with his work ethic and i know this for a fact, i know his supplier and jeff mcginnis was one too when he was with the bobcats, they traded jeff away to get him away from adam morrision, i know this for sure, i have a great source, i am the borther of one of the bobcats strength trainers, everybody around the bobcats circle know adam was alazy, hippy pot head who didn't work hard once the money started coming in..his family are pot heads as well..just stating the facts..

Posted by: bobcats fan | Oct 22, 2010 6:33:00 PM

Its is sad...I believed that Adam Morrison was some underdog. The media likes to portray things that way, like he is some diligent, talentless but supremely hard working, smart player but from what I have read this is not the case. There are rumours abound that Adam smoked cigarettes and chewed tobacco I mean give me a break. He is supposed to be a diabetic with hardly any athletic ability why would he do that? I have heard the pot rumours too and I also read an article written by a Charlotte writer that Adam did not put in the extra work after practice to improve after the injury under coach Larry Brown. I even emailed the writer because at the time I was under the impression that Adam was ultra disciplined and competitive but the writer stated he had a 'source'. None of what I am saying is definitive but it makes me wonder...I truly hope I am wrong though and I am pulling for his comeback.

Posted by: Steven | Oct 22, 2010 8:25:18 PM

bobcats fan...the bobcats didn't trade jeff mcinnis.

anybody that feels his rookie season was sub-par, i really don't think understand basketball. was it rookie of the year? no, but he also had a very very very tough situation where he was the 3rd pick that year but also the 3rd pick of the franchise history. he had a transitioning coach, a beyond sub-par supporting cast, and he was a rookie. he had his highs and lows like any but i mean he scored 14 points in his debut and then 21 after that. he had 45 games in double figures. a 30 point career high and 10 games of 20 or more in total. as a rookie. and i mean we were running a d-league team most of the year. we had a starting lineup at one point that was......

wallace, felton, brezec, carroll, morrison. that was the starting lineup. i mean the guy had really weird minute logs as a rookie where he would play 42 minutes one night and 14 the next. 47 then 24 then 7. i don't know the whole story obviously but from the outside looking in it looked like he struggled with taking the reigns and not being given the reigns at the same time. and we have a history as a franchise of not developing our young talent that's our biggest flaw of all. we've done decent in trading them for veterans with value (diaw, jackson, thomas) but we've also acquired bad contracts to fill holes because we haven't developed the young guys that should have filled the holes. as for morrison, that same injury he had is the same kind of thing that has killed countless careers, i mean we're dealing with livingston right now who had a serious knee injury and he's what? 4 years removed and still can't play on it with confidence. antonio mcdyess' early years were destroyed by an acl or mcl tear if i'm not mistaken. i think people downplay that injury completely when talking about morrison. he averaged 12 a game as a rookie in 30 mpg. that's not horrible. it's not ROY but it's not horrible. were his %'s bad? yes but they weren't any worse than flip murray and a lot of clowns on here love to rave about flip murray. after that year the guy played well in summer league and preseason to the point where NOBODY was doubting the guy being a solid nba player for years to come going into the knee injury. find me the article written in the months leading up to the knee injury doubting the guy. it wasn't happening. AFTER the injury, his defensive weakness became a defensive liability and his offensive explosiveness was lost in a lot of ways. he was never a stand still shooter like matt carroll, he was a ball handler, a marovich/petrovich/turkoglu type scorer/shooter with size. and he was very very very skilled at it.

i don't know where he's at physically right now because i haven't seen the guy in action since he left town, but what he was doing here was good enough to play in this league and he has to be further along physically at this point. him not playing in LA had nothing to do with the knee and everything to do with how talented the lakers were with artest/odom/bryant/brown/gasol taking all of the 2,3, and 4 minutes. but like somebody else said on here, bryant was quoted several times saying that if morrison were on another team he'd be playing. i'm blown away that no other teams were interested this year. especially.........

new orleans who has joe alexander still on their roster. the guy was drafted 8th overall and played in 8 games last year which i don't believe was due to injury according to anything i read. you can't tell me that he's worth the roster spot and morrison isn't. and if we're talking about worst draft picks ever, hasheem thabeet is definitely making a case for himself thusfar although its way too early. just like we gave up on morrison (and ajinca) too early. 1.5 seasons into his career. i don't care if he did ask for the trade.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 22, 2010 10:31:21 PM

Your last comment shows nothing but unreasonable fanaticism, charlottean. Also, your rough, uncivil language earns you an answer in kind.

1. There is a big difference between saying that AM's rookie season was "sub-par" (which is false, it's not my statement - but it's what you attack), and saying that it was "below expectations" (which is what I said, and it's exactly true). For a 3rd pick in the Draft, who averaged 28 ppg at over 52% from the field in his last year in college, going all the way down to 11.8 ppg in 30 mpg at less than 38% from the field IS below expectations. Expectations based on HIS resume.
How don't you realize that it makes no sense to compare him to Murray, the player you love to hate? Flip is a second round pick, therefore the expectations from him were not at all in the same range as those from Adam. At $1.5 million per year, Flip was a bargain. And IF you wanted to be accurate, Flip's less-than-great field goal career average is 41.4% vs. AM's 37.6 % in his rookie (and best) year.

2. Regarding his injury, you go around the real point. You mention other players, but fail to notice that I mentioned some of them too, while I also noted the big difference: while in other cases the diminished post-injury ability is well known and recognized in the league, this was not and is not the case regarding Adam.

3. Even someone else who posted earlier this afternoon and is much closer to your opinion on AM than to mine acknowledged that there were worries about his game before the injury ("Unfortunately, for some reason, things started to go south - I'm not sure why - AND THEN the injury basically did him in." from Yurgus, my capitals). Do you know how many bad games Adam had just before the All Star break in'07? Three, four, five? No, twenty (scoring in single digits and at very low percentages). I remember very clearly that this was something to worry about, and you completely ignore my explanation of what happened. Adam himself, who doesn't like to make excuses, said at that time that he was exhausted, and he needed the All Star break to rest and replenish energy.

4. It's hard to believe you can write that Adam's defensive weakness became a liability after his injury. Heck no, it was repeatedly and widely discussed before his NBA career even started. It was simply hoped that his offensive prowess will make up for it. It didn't happen. IF Flip Saunders, who had the chance to evaluate him in this pre-season, had believed that he can deliver, he would've continued his NBA career now.

5. I'm honestly disgusted that, in order to counter your absurd fanaticism regarding this player, I had to write a comment that only emphasizes negatives about him. Unfortunately, this is the only way to respond to somebody so extreme and one-sided as you are in this regard - by emphasizing the opposite.

The way I actually think about Adam is much better represented in my previous comments, which keep the balance between positive and negative, and give my explanation of Adam's failure to last in the toughest league in the world. It's not unfounded guesswork about presumed lingering effects of injury, but well documented shortcomings - physical, emotional and the connection between them. Your wrote your long comment by avoiding the real issues, misinterpreting some of my comments and maintaining an overall unrealistic view of this player.

P.S. Will you ever be able to wean yourself from your habit of using rude terms to characterize people who disagree with you and your mistakes? I doubt it, but, who knows...

Posted by: Sandy | Oct 23, 2010 1:21:49 AM

Adam Morrison simply cannot guard players because of his injury and lack of foot speed. His offensive is not good enough to overcome his defects.

Posted by: Steven McCay | Oct 23, 2010 11:49:01 AM

sandy i don't recall directed anything i said directly at you but i love how you took it personal and responded in that way. i bet you live your life that way thinking that everything IS about you. regarding your comments: (and this means i AM talking to you)

1. his rookie year wasn't worthy of not getting a second shot. that's what i've always said is that he never got a shot AFTER that. there have been plenty of top 5 and top 10 guys that started out rough and got better because they were given time to develop. there's no way morrison's rookie year was as bad as people make it out to be. raymond felton was here for 5 years shooting those kinds of %'s. were they good %'s? not by any stretch, but they were his rookie %'s. he shot way better numbers in college and would have in the pros had he been given the chance. that's not fanaticism of him, it's fanaticism of the game. if you look at the last 10 years of rookie classes and look at the top 10 picks every year and there rookie #'s, there's no way his rookie year was anything to be scared about. if you ran percentile's on those guys adam's rookie year was probably about middle of the pack. and he never got another chance where other guys did.

darko, gana, kwame, tskitskvili or whatever, rodney white, dajuan wagner, shaun livingston, luke jackson, martell webster, tyrus thomas, shelden williams, yi, corey brewer, brandan wright, noah, like stated before: thabeet, joe alexander.

funny that so many of them have had even more severe injury problems and STILL have gotten a shot to prove things they never showed flashes of before. me comparing him to flip murray was to point out how hypocritical it is to rag on a rookie's shooting %'s when everybody loves the veteran that shot worse. his rookie season was average. it was inconsistent as hell and so were his minutes and his supporting cast. you are probably dead on about him having a major "rookie wall" running into. but he still showed he could do it big time in this league and showed the summer after that he was ready to make that next step.

2. i don't know if you were trying to say that the injury was a non-factor in adam's case or that nobody gave him the benefit of recognizing the injury in analyzing his lack of success. i'm assuming the latter and i couldn't disagree. if it's the other, i can't even respond to that.

3. there were worries but nobody outside of charlotte called him a bust until AFTER the injury. the guy was in the final 20-25 on the 2006 world's roster that featured the lebrons and carmellos and such.

4. i wrote it was a weakness that became a complete liability post injury. point being that it was worse post injury. how can you argue that? and let's clarify that there's a big difference in defense in the terms of larry brown vs. defense in the terms of a mike d'antoni or a don nelson. there's a lot of luck in where you go and when you go there, he had none of that. that happens.

5. unfortunately? it's a message board. the only thing unfortunate is how serious you take comments as if I was addressing all of them to you and speaking to you personally. I said and will continue to say that if you think adam morrison was a bust pre-injury, you don't know basketball. if you think he was a bad draft pick, that's a 20/20 hindsight thing and if we had taken gay or roy portland or memphis would have taken morrison. we have never been a team to take a guy on draft night and everybody scratch their heads like they do at david kahn and say that we were reaching. we took guys as they came to us and as they fit with our roster. there was absolutely no reason to take rudy gay when we had gerald wallace. there was absolutely no reason to take shelden williams because we had may and okafor. it was between roy and morrison and roy didn't get hurt (until last year) and he got all his chances and has flourished because of it.

the same things I say about morrison are the same things I say about sean may. the guys came in and that absolutely showed they can play this game at this level and they had injuries and that was that. doesn't make them any different than a greg oden or a dajaun wagner or a jay williams or a livingston or whoever.

i can't get over how many of these guys i'm talking about are on our roster right now. brown, diop, livingston, thomas.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 23, 2010 2:30:31 PM

Sandy......STFU.

Posted by: BringIt | Oct 23, 2010 4:23:55 PM

I'll sum up the career of Ammo in 5 words.Adam Morrison is a bust,no need to write a friggin essay on the dude.Heck i'd hate to see what you have to say about Who the f**k is that McGuire.

Posted by: BringIt | Oct 23, 2010 4:26:04 PM

i would say who the f**k is mcguire and why did we waste a roster spot on our 5th string power forward when we have 1 healthy center, 1 injured bust of a center and 1 special ed kid center.

btw kwame brown is a bust, he had 10 years to prove he wasn't and he has certified that he is. adam morrison played 1 season in the nba. you can't be a bust in 1 season unless you couldn't even get on the floor or because you had life problems like a rodney white or something. you can't be a bust because of an injury. that's 2 different things.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 24, 2010 6:45:01 PM

He should have been made to play at the 4 spot. I believe he could have been a dominate post player if a coach would have made him go down there.

Posted by: moboythunder | Oct 25, 2010 2:08:12 PM

I watched him in LA and he was given more of a chance than Shannon Brown after the trade. He was getting more and better minutes. The difference was that Brown played great in his limited minutes and impressed everyone enough until he earned a rotational spot.

For Morrison, all I can say is that I don't think he ever played a 5 minute stretch in the regular season where he looked like he belonged in the NBA.

Posted by: Scott | Oct 25, 2010 3:17:36 PM

Ammo was playing small guys right out of high school at Gonzaga.. he was(is) a great shooter and he dominated the competition. But his lack of size at his position in the NBA is what did him in. The ACL tear pretty much took away what little he had to play at this level. ALSO... Larry Brown being his coach didnt help... I know Larry gave him a shot... but he gave up on him like he does on most players and shipped him off. The guys confidence is now gone . Hes got 2 rings and a bunch of money... so its hard to feel really sorry for Adam...

Posted by: GMONEY | Oct 28, 2010 4:15:57 PM

This ia a highly misleading article. Morrison was never treated like the college star he was, even after being drafted 3rd overall.

Larry Brown clearly didn't like Morrison, and the nervousness Adam felt was understandable; Brown was ready to pounce on any mistake he made. The very idea that Brown was actually encouraging Morrison to shoot more is ridiculous; in all reality, he probably pressured him constantly to take good shots, thereby transforming a natural scorer into a hesitant presence on the court.

The Lakers never let Morrison play- it's hard to call someone a "bust" if they don't get a chance to play. Why did they trade for someone if they had no interest?

Finally, the Wizards are one of the most embarrassing aggregations of non-talent in the history of the NBA, even considering the pathetic state of the present league. For them to claim that Morrison is not better than at least half their roster is absurd, and I refuse to believe it. In short, Morrison is being driven out of pro basketball for some other reason.

Posted by: Donald Jeffries | Oct 30, 2010 12:30:16 AM

Donald you are right he hardly got minutes but the question is why. because this prolific scorer in college could not shoot well anymore. have a look at his averages. as the article states if he really was a good enough player either jackson or brown would have played him, 2 hall of fame coaches. i heard jackson say one day in a rare talk on morrison that he simple was not big enough and athletic to play the sf. it is a strange case and surely he will get an opportunity to do something overseas. at least he has two rings, two more than most other nba players. at least he experienced winning at the nba level with the best seat in the house.

an acl injury is the worst and it obviously affected him mentally. who knows what might have happened if he did not get injured?

Posted by: Martin | Nov 5, 2010 6:16:21 AM

You can only wonder what would have happened if it wasn't for MJ making that horrible pick and then again just two years later passing on Brook Lopez for a point guard when we already had that position shored up. With Brandon Roy/Rudy Gay and Brook Lopez the possibilities for this team could have been endless only to be ruined by a man who doesn't know how to put together a basketball team and a GM too scared to say no

Posted by: Steve | Feb 7, 2011 7:47:12 PM