« Jackson rests sore left calf | Main | Jackson starting despite calf »

December 07, 2010

A team by any other name....

Would you want to root for the Charlotte Hornets again?

Several of you emailed over the last few hours, wondering if the NBA buying the Hornets in New Orleans could somehow result in the Bobcats acquiring the Hornets nickname and re-branding.

That’s a “how’’ question and I’d rephrase it as a “why’’ question: As in, “Why pay for another franchise's nickname, then spend an estimated $10 million to change everything?’’

I certainly got it when Cleveland convinced the NFL to let it keep “Browns’’ for a possible expansion team. But I’m not sure after the fact that renaming the Bobcats does any good. I mean, if Michael Jordan has a spare $10 million to spend, I’d rather see it go to the product than changing a bunch of signs and logos.

That doesn’t mean I’m right, so I’m curious what you all think.

Posted by Observer Sports on December 7, 2010 at 01:58 PM | Permalink

Comments

Other than greed, why wouldn't the NBA do a even swap for the branding? It's not like a new owner would want to keep the Hornets name or the Bobcats name. As to why Jordan would want to do it - the Hornets name has historical meaning to Charlotte, while Bobcats was just a vanity plate for Bob Johnson.

Posted by: Authority | Dec 7, 2010 2:09:26 PM

DJ and Tyrus need to be Hornets!

Posted by: tim | Dec 7, 2010 2:12:14 PM

The point is, the cost to change all of the signage and uniforms and everything else that has the Bobcats name would be very expensive, not the cost of buying the name from the NBA.

Posted by: RB | Dec 7, 2010 2:14:27 PM

I would like to see the Bobcats name changed, but i don't see why it has to be the hornets.

Posted by: Drew | Dec 7, 2010 2:16:00 PM

Agreed that the NBA should allow the Bobcats free use of the name if the ultimate buyer does not want the name.

I believe it would bring back a bunch of fans. My parents attended 8-10 games per year every year for the Hornets but have been to 1 Bobcats game (which I bought them tickets to). Likewise they watched over 25% of the Hornets games on TV, but not a single Bobcats game.

I believe they are the fan that fits Authority's post. Hornets were our city's team and it meant something. Bobcats are Bob Johnson's accoutrement.

Posted by: onewhowatched | Dec 7, 2010 2:17:00 PM

I used to be all for the Hornet name, but have gotten used to Bobcats. When I think of Hornets, George Shinn comes to mind...no thanks, will stick to what we have.

Posted by: eduardo | Dec 7, 2010 2:17:11 PM

The name swap needs to be a three-way swap. The Jazz name needs to return to New Orleans, and the historical Hornets name needs to return to Charlotte (General Cornwallis's reference during the American Revolution of Charlotte as "a hornets' nest of rebellion". Although there are by far more Bobcats in Utah than in North Carolina, the Utah franchise ought to have the chance to pick any name they want as part of the deal.

Posted by: William | Dec 7, 2010 2:17:20 PM

In a heartbeat, the name just has too much historical significance to the area to pass up on. The Bobcats mean nothing to anyone in terms of branding, but the Hornets were the perfect name for us.

Posted by: Hornet Fan | Dec 7, 2010 2:18:09 PM

I would of like to seen the Hornets name and logo stay in Charlotte to begin with. So I would be all for the name change, however with so many new people in the Charlotte area, I don't think they get the Hornets meaning here in Charlotte. As much as I'd love to see the name,logo and colors for the Hornets come back, I really don't think that would make me want to attend more games. When the Hornets left, so did my desire for the NBA. It would be cool, but I think at this point it's too late to go back, the Hornets name should of never left here.

Posted by: CLTHornetsfan | Dec 7, 2010 2:18:17 PM

agree. If the NBA owns the team, why would Charlotte have to pay for it? The name "Hornets" should either be retired or given back to Charlotte. As a native, I associate it more with baseball all the way back to what the 20s. But its fits Charlotte best, whatever the sport. Just as "Jazz" fits New Orleans best, etc., etc., etc.

In all honesty, the name becomes less and less of an issue as long as the front office continue to make personnel blunders. The only right move MJ has made is hiring Larry. Other than that, his track record is no better than Bernie Bickerstaff's. How much time does Rod Higgins spend beating the bushes looking for talent in Europe, etc? That would be a really good column Rick -- Seeing how much time Higgins spends scouting. My guess is very little.

Posted by: Tino | Dec 7, 2010 2:20:17 PM

Plus, MJ already has said that he is open to re-branding, if he feels that is what the public wants

Posted by: Hornet Fan | Dec 7, 2010 2:34:26 PM

Best idea I have heard in a very long time. I spent the first 16 years of my life going to Hornets games and was devistated when they left. If we got the name back, I would buy season tickets.

Make this happen Jordan!

Posted by: Russ | Dec 7, 2010 2:34:49 PM

Rick -- I think most fans want to change the name from Bobcats to something else.

This would be the perfect time to reboot the franchise; New name, colors, uniforms, apparel, jerseys, etc.

Wouldn't the "Bobcats" and the NBA make money by the selling of the new merchandise? People won't want to wear Bobcats stuff any longer, so you'd see an initial surge of replacement merchandise sold. Probably not $10 million worth, but it'd make a dent and give the city a fresh identity which isn't tainted.

I think people still think of Hornets negatively ... I'd be in favor of restoring the name here, personally.

Posted by: Brad | Dec 7, 2010 2:36:15 PM

It would be a shame to see the Hornets name just go away.

Among my friends, I don't know anyone who likes "Bobcats", plus it has a lot of negative connotation with Bob Johnson. "Charlotte Hornets" just works and it has history. Bring it back!

Posted by: Chris | Dec 7, 2010 2:40:08 PM

Yes get the HORNETS name back! It is well worth the 10 million dollars for the history and the historical refernce that is specific to Charlotte.

Posted by: CB | Dec 7, 2010 2:40:58 PM

Bobcats, the name sucks, we have never liked it. It will be worth the money to get them rebranded to the Hornets.

The NBA never should have let them move to start with. stupid move, as we all knew, know proven!

Posted by: Jason | Dec 7, 2010 2:43:17 PM

HORNETS!!!

Posted by: runnerkmf | Dec 7, 2010 2:47:45 PM

This is a great idea!!! And the NBA should do it for free!!! It would help both of these struggling franchises.....Find New Orleans something that fits the city....The name "Hornets" just fits Charlotte....Maybe we could save some money if we keep "orange" as the main color?

Posted by: Mike | Dec 7, 2010 2:49:15 PM

Yes. Charlotte history. And Seattle will not want the name.

Posted by: Fleiter | Dec 7, 2010 2:49:33 PM

KEEP THE BOBCATS NAME!

I love my Bobcats. The name is a part of the city now. Tons of merchandise has been sold. The Bobcats are making their own history. The Hornets are in the past. Leave em there.

All it would do is embarrass the Charlotte franchise and make us look like a bunch or morons who cant get our franchise straightened out.

Posted by: Bobcatsfan89 | Dec 7, 2010 2:55:55 PM

*sigh* Who cares?

Posted by: Jamaal | Dec 7, 2010 2:58:38 PM

Get the name back if at all possible. When the Hornets left, so did a LOT of local fans. I think it would bring some fans back and get some of the bad taste of Bob Johnson's doings out of peoples mouth.

Posted by: Andy | Dec 7, 2010 3:00:25 PM

Plus we could get Hugo (and SuperHugo)back. Take that Rufus.

Posted by: onewhowatched | Dec 7, 2010 3:07:51 PM

Why? Because outside narrow circles in Charlotte the Bobcats are STILL irrelevant and have failed to catch on with the North Carolina fanbase as a whole. Re-branding along with the new ownership could go a long way in giving this franchise a new face and symbolically putting the Bob Johnson years in the past.

Posted by: Alex | Dec 7, 2010 3:09:22 PM

I don't like the Bobcat or Hornet names. One's a kitty and the other a bug! Why not call them the Charlotte Opossums? They roll over and play dead well enough.

Posted by: Rick | Dec 7, 2010 3:12:25 PM

Yes, the natives of the City of Charlotte want the name back! It may not have a significant meaning to a lot of the newcomers but who cares?!?

As a marketing professional I knew from the start that the Bobcats name would be a marketing nightmare for those who would have to push it.

If Jordan and his organization want to get this thing going in the right direction he would make it a priority to get this done by next season.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 7, 2010 3:13:13 PM

Rufus is ghetto. The whole Bobcats thing has that "Boogie Nights/BET/Gold Chains" feeling about it...the Hornets never felt that way. Of course, they had guys that at least seemed to play hard night in and night out. Maybe it's just a new day.

Posted by: frank betts | Dec 7, 2010 3:13:14 PM

Unlike most here now...born and raised in Charlotte. I'm in my upper 20's and I say bring back the HORNETS!!!

I still support the Bobcats but grew up a Hornets fan so I would enjoy seeing them back here. SUPER HUGO!!!

Posted by: justin | Dec 7, 2010 3:13:16 PM

As numerous people have mentioned, the Hornets name and brand has a deep rooted history here in Charlotte.

$10 million in rebranding investment would be a small price to pay to bring back the Hornets, Hugo and the Honeycomb court to Charlotte and would certainly stir up some nostalgia for long time residents.

Posted by: dmutombo | Dec 7, 2010 3:13:39 PM

ABSOLUTELY! We should absolutely attempt to get the Hornets nickname back if we can. It is meaningful to this city, and it give us back (a bit) the history that we have back when the Hornets organization started here.

Posted by: Larry | Dec 7, 2010 3:14:53 PM

But I still miss the shirtless, fat backflip man, Mr. Brick, Dancing Barry and SuperHugo Dunks.

Posted by: frank betts | Dec 7, 2010 3:15:25 PM

I think it would be great, but I don't see it happening. It would be awesome if the NBA moved the current Hornets team to Seattle, and rebranded them the Supersonics; and Charlotte rebranded as the Hornets.

Posted by: MikeyNiner | Dec 7, 2010 3:17:57 PM

Someone please explain how changing the name back to Hornets would get more fans? If they are basketball fans and want a home team to cheer for, they have one...the Bobcats!

Posted by: Josh | Dec 7, 2010 3:19:34 PM

^Josh hasn't been in Charlotte very long.

The Teal/Purple, Alive at the Hive, Hugo the Hornet, Kelly Tripuka and Sexy Rexy, come-on...those things are part of our sports history.

Michael Jordan should understand that Kurt Rambis' put-back to beat his Bulls was the single most important event of the late 80's in Charlotte. $10MM is cheap to revive the lost love affair.

Posted by: onewhowatched | Dec 7, 2010 3:24:03 PM

Deleting my comments again ay Rick.
I definitely think the Hornets name should be brought back here to Charlotte should have never left in the 1st place. Bobcats have nothing but a joke of a history, draft picks, trades, LOL MJ FA signings,coaches. The Hornets have a deep,rich history that drew a lot of fans like myself to embrace and fall in love with the team/franchise.

BRING BACK THE HORNETS MJ!!!

And stop deleting my comments Rick

Posted by: I'm A hole | Dec 7, 2010 3:29:20 PM

Absolutely!! As someone mentioned, I am in my upper 20's as well...born and raised in Hickory. The Hornets WERE my first team! They were our first pro team to really call our own. I never got over them leaving. The Bobcats aren't mine. Heck, I can't even see them on TV up here in the Catawba Valley because they can't get it worked out to put the games on the tube up here. The Valley was a big Hornets market. I knew a lot of folks who had season tixs, went to lots of games, myself included that just don't care now. I go to 3 or 4 Bobcats games now a year but it's not so much about the team. It's about going uptown, a nice dinner, etc. If the Hornets were back, it would be about the teal and purple! Rick, it looks pretty overwhelming doesn't it!?!

Posted by: hkymtneer | Dec 7, 2010 3:33:30 PM

No reason to change the name. Concentrate on what's most important. Putting together a team worth going to see play and WINNING.

Posted by: BobcatBucks | Dec 7, 2010 3:35:08 PM

HORNETS!!! But only if you bring back Grandma-ma!!

Posted by: panther217 | Dec 7, 2010 3:38:11 PM

Should have never changed. If the team is named something of historical significance to that particular region, it's stupid to move the name.

Bobcats=LAME
Hornets=Charlotte

Posted by: John | Dec 7, 2010 3:38:38 PM

I've got a better idea. Just fold the Hornet's franchise, give us CP3 and the #1 pick next year(miracle ping pong ball), and you can keep the name. We should have never lost the name to NO, but it's too late now to try and bring it back.

Posted by: DaveT | Dec 7, 2010 3:40:43 PM

Posted by: MikeyNiner | Dec 7, 2010 3:17:57 PM

Sir, it's about a brand that's not connecting with the market so therefore you go back to the basics and do what works! Perhaps you are a transplant to the city and could care less about our City's connection to the name. The connection goes deeper than just the Hornets name but also "General Cornwallis's reference during the American Revolution of Charlotte as "a hornets' nest of rebellion".

May mean nothing to you but a lot to US.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 7, 2010 3:40:57 PM

First, $10 million is not cheap for branding. And it's gonna cost a lot more than that to advertise and market the campaign to explain why the New Orleans Hornets are now the Charlotte Hornets (minus Chris Paul and a winning record).

Secondly, the Teal and Purple days are OVER. It's done. It will be nice and ironic for about a month, and then we can get a little nostalgic about the good ol' days (without a championship) of Hugo, LJ, Alonzo, and Muggsy. Yea, the Hornets! Remember that team with whom Kobe Bryant refused to sign? Remember the empty-as-hell Coliseum in it's last days? Let the teal fade away like the paint on the transit center.

Third, let's expect Tom Sorenson to write an article with a load of nostalgia for white NBA players and 1980's small-town Charlotte's obsession with them. He's written that same piece about 10 times since the Bobcats have been around. Now, he'll have to write it after every game. We can only expect to read comparisons to Muggsy and Dell on a weekly basis.

Btw, $10 million is about what Steve Nash will make this year.

Posted by: Mike | Dec 7, 2010 3:43:28 PM

If the real hornets can return to charlotte and rebuild the coliseum on tyvola rd. and send the johnson bobcats to anywhere but here and bring back Larry Johnson, Alonzo, Dell, Robert Reid, Rex Chapman, Dave Hoppen, Muggsy then and only then will I a former hornet season ticket holder and who has never and will never attend a bobcat game be interested.

Posted by: jay | Dec 7, 2010 3:46:16 PM

Yes bring back the hornets! As a little kid I loved mugsy,grandmama,Zo and the boys! Lets be honest here, the name BOBCATS just plain sucks. It is well worth the 10 million, and I honestly believe fan attendance would soar through the roof!

Posted by: Cman | Dec 7, 2010 3:48:53 PM

It would be a marketing genius - well worth the extra $.
It help us all remember that Shinn offered to save Charlotte $400,000,000.00 by retrofitting the coliseum at no cost to taxpayers - money we could have used dearly except politicians wanted the arena downtown.

Posted by: JL | Dec 7, 2010 3:51:14 PM

Give me back the Hornets and I would care again.

Posted by: SLS | Dec 7, 2010 3:54:34 PM

Yes, bring back the Hornets name, then pass a city ordinace preventing any future owner from ever taking it away again.

Posted by: Eric Cable | Dec 7, 2010 3:55:13 PM

Charlotte is historically the Hornet's Nest, they were meant to be here. Rufus is great but I really miss Hugo.

Posted by: ofcourse | Dec 7, 2010 3:56:13 PM

i don't really feel an attatchment to the hornets name like that. It's not like cleveland where it was major tradition for decades and they had a lapse of 2 or 3 years where they didn't have a team. nobody else used the browns. the hornets moved on.

we've had 10 years without the hornets here. this is what? season 7 of the bobcats? i don't like the bobcats name and would be entirely open to a change but i don't think hornets is it. other cities have changed names successfully, washington has changed names a few times if i'm not mistaken and are thinking of changing it back to the bullets i think.

Hornets is not the answer but change would be invited. something more fitting of today's charlotte. 1986 charlotte is an entirely different city than 2011 charlotte.

and this comes from a kid that grew up at charlotte coliseum as a season ticket holder. i DO however feel like we should have a number 13 jersey in the rafters here regardless of what franchise is here.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 7, 2010 4:00:19 PM

If I could wave a magic wand, this is what I would do. A 3-team name swap. I would make it the Charlotte Hornets, The Utah Bobcats, and the New Orleans Jazz. Makes sense but it will never ever happen....

Posted by: Randall | Dec 7, 2010 4:06:01 PM

makes a lot more sense.

if kansas city doesn't have a universal copyright on it, the royals would be a very nice name to run with. more classic feel than either bobcats or hornets.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 7, 2010 4:15:14 PM

Anyone who would question why we would want the Hornets name and logo back obviously just got here 5 minutes ago (including the author of this article maybe?), doesn't understand and/or wasn't here to be a part of the huge deal this was for Charlotte to get this NBA team back in the 80's. We were so proud--proud of our city for getting this team, proud of our team and just happier in general. Every game was sold out. It was the place to be in Charlotte. Going to a game was a happy, almost giddy experience for everyone. It was loud, it was fun. Contrast that with the Bobcats--no enthusiasm, no fun. I hate that name, Bob Johnson named the team after himself, how egotistical.

GET THE HORNETS BACK! You will see all the Hornets fans back, I guarantee it.

Posted by: Charlotte Native | Dec 7, 2010 4:18:41 PM

I would LOVE to see the Bobcats change their name to the Hornets. I think you would see the fan base expand, and many fans come back. I know people say "what's in a name" but in this case, a lot. MAKE IT HAPPEN MJ! THE CHARLOTTE HORNETS!!

Posted by: Jon | Dec 7, 2010 4:19:18 PM

100% Hornets. I would start going to games again. Make sure to get the old noise meters back.

Posted by: Sir Purr | Dec 7, 2010 4:19:59 PM

ANYBODY who states "Kobe Bryant refused to sign with the Hornets' has no idea what they are talking about.

Posted by: Tino | Dec 7, 2010 4:21:40 PM

Hugo the Hornet wants to come back to Charlotte.

Posted by: Hugo | Dec 7, 2010 4:25:57 PM

I'd like to see the Hornets name back where it HISTORICALLY belongs. I have never attended a bobcats game and never will. But if the Hornets name is rightfully restored to the city whose nickname it IS, I would go to their games. Most of the folks commenting here are ignorant of the historical significance, so have no emotional attachment to it like we natives who were here when we were proud to be called the Hornets, as our Revolutionary ancestors were.

Posted by: oldmod1 | Dec 7, 2010 4:29:32 PM

Bring the name back to Charlotte, I think merchandise sales would double or triple as soon as this takes place. Id love to be pulling for my Charlotte Hornets once again!

Posted by: Joey | Dec 7, 2010 4:29:32 PM

I don't usually comment but could NOT pass this up...bring back the HORNETS name to where it belongs. I was in High School (dating myself here) when we school kids voted on the name. The feeling of pride and ownership I still remember. Remember how we sold out the "New coloseum" -- win or lose? Have not purchased 1 Bobcats ticket and feel no connection to them. Change the name back and I think you will reconnect with Charlotteans.

Posted by: missing the hornets | Dec 7, 2010 4:33:11 PM

Take the hornets name back...mostly because i can't stand the Bobcats name.

Posted by: dan | Dec 7, 2010 4:37:34 PM

I don't mind if they keep the same name. But I would like to see them redesign the "Bobcat" to a more modern looking image.

Posted by: UncTarheels23 | Dec 7, 2010 4:42:28 PM

As someone else said, the feeling that I used to experience when the noise meters started going off was something that will never be replaced. It really was just a pure energy and love for the game. Just by seeing how many comments this small snippet of a blog post has drawn should show that the name still absolutely rings a bell with natives here. This is my first series of posts I've ever done on here, but the draw of the Hornets is just too much to ignore

Posted by: Hornet Fan | Dec 7, 2010 4:47:38 PM

Rick,

It seems that most of the people in support of bringing back the Hornets name are late 20's to early 30's (myself included). This is because the Hornets came along before we were old enough to have any real allegiance to any other team and because they were the most important social thing going on in our city during our childhoods. We complain about fairweather Panther fans. Well, there aren't many people who grew up with the Panther's that are old enough to but season tickets yet.

This is an opportunity to rekindle that passion that this city sorely lacks. A deep routed enthusiasm among at least a statistically significant share of its population. The Hornets were OUR team and we want to support THEM. Just as Cleveland wanted its Brown's back, those of us who grew up blindly loyal to the Hornets want the name back as well.

Bring it back, retire Dell's number here. Get the flashing noice meters going.

Read the comments. There are fans looking for a reason to care again. The Hornets name would be the reason.

Posted by: onewhowatched | Dec 7, 2010 4:48:24 PM

I don't care. However,how does the name Bobcat sound "ghetto" and reminiscent of gold chains and boogie nights? Also I can remember sitting darn near on the roof to watch the Hornets for quite a few seasons and going To Greensboro to by the tickets because the lines in Charlotte were ridiculous!I enjoyed watching the games from the nosebleed section with my binoculors. What I also remember in the beginning was that after half time we used to joke that Alan Bristow was feeding them, because by the time the third quarter started they had lost enthusiasm. So, they didn't come to play every game either, but thats to be expected with an 80+ game season. I'm also a born and bred Charlottean for the past 45 years.

Posted by: digal704 | Dec 7, 2010 4:49:34 PM

PLEASE BRING BACK THE HORNETS! I WOULD CARE ABOUT THE NBA AGAIN!

Posted by: Hornet4life | Dec 7, 2010 4:51:18 PM

It's simply not worth the money. Are people really refusing to support this team simply because of the team name? I think that idea is ridiculous. These people are just looking for a reason to hate and still wouldn't be buying tickets even if they did change the name. First they hate the arena deal, that's old news now. Then they hate the owner, now Michael Jordan owns the team. Now it's the name??? Give me a break.

The Bobcats need to ignore all of this name change talk and figure out how to win some games. Winning is the best way for them to turn this into a successful franchise.

Posted by: DF | Dec 7, 2010 4:57:35 PM

I almost hesitate to voice my opinion, having never been to Charlotte, not even the USA. I fell much more in love with the Charlotte Hornets than ever the NBA when I started watching basketball in the early to mid nineties. LJ, Muggsy, Dell, Zo. All these great characters and quality players, the outstanding jerseys, the mascot. I loved it all.

But I really don't see why we should rename the Bobcats as the Hornets. I feel it would be trying to steal another team's history. I tried to root for the New Orleans Hornets but couldn't after they betrayed the people of Charlotte and Hornets supporters around the world. Having no connection with Charlotte I decided the Bobcats were my team because the were started in Charlotte. I don't really feel any emotions towards the name but I don't think we gain that much by reverting to the Hornets name. When push comes to shove the only thing that will make an NBA team in Charlotte loved is winning games and playing quality basketball. When that happens I guess it doesn't matter what the team is called.

Posted by: The Icelandic Bobcats Fan | Dec 7, 2010 5:07:11 PM

I am 24 years old and grew up obsessed with the hornets from the Zo/Lj days all the way to Mashburn, Davis and Wesley. Haha hell, one of the first biographies I ever read was Mugsys "In the Land Of Giants." Although I still watch the bobcats and probably keep up with them more than most people I know, it just does not have the same feel as OUR hornets. Please bring back the hornets MJ!

Posted by: buttaballs | Dec 7, 2010 5:08:33 PM

Who cares??

Posted by: smarkalek | Dec 7, 2010 5:12:17 PM

I definately prefer Hornets name over the Bobcats, and I think it's worth the change. But since we are talking about change, how about the Carolina Cougars? Is there any support for the original ABA Charlotte pro basketball team name? Heck, It was Larry Brown's first coaching job!

Posted by: Roid | Dec 7, 2010 5:16:15 PM

It sounds like they are most likely on the way out of New Orleans. If they go to Seattle, as one of the rumors, I'm sure they will become the Supersonics. Anytime a team moves in any sport, the nickname and records should remain with the city. I'd be all for the name changing back to the Hornets. If that doesn't happen, I'd like to see them beome the Cougars. Keep the cat theme, with the Panthers, but it sounds better than the Bobcats.

Posted by: Steeler and Panther fan | Dec 7, 2010 5:22:10 PM

Rick,

How about contact the Jazz beat writer and run the 3 way trade by him, see what Salt Lake City thinks about it.

Posted by: Ghoul | Dec 7, 2010 5:24:20 PM

my question is, why have an NBA team at all ? They suck up public funds that could be used for education, firefighters, police officers and taking care of kids in stead of paying these overpriced b ball players to have big homes, expensive cars, jewelry and other things. So, why have a team at all ?

Posted by: cel | Dec 7, 2010 5:24:38 PM

"Hornets" was the perfect name for Charlotte. The Bobcats name/brand does not fit, and I'm not sure it ever will. I will still pull for the team, but even today it doesn't "fit" to me. It doesn't mean anything.

"Hornets" meant something, both historically to the city and personally. If we have any sort of chance to get it back, we'd be crazy not to try.

I think it would be worth it for a lot of reasons. The money spent would pay for itself ten times over down the road.

Posted by: JD | Dec 7, 2010 5:25:19 PM

YES! DO A POLL! Bring them back!! I guarantee it would revitalize this desolate sports city.

Posted by: Hugo's Stinger | Dec 7, 2010 5:28:07 PM

The MichaelCats.....

Posted by: Keith | Dec 7, 2010 5:34:38 PM

If they swap the names, can they swap the rosters too? Just an idea...

Posted by: ASU'NeersFan | Dec 7, 2010 5:36:18 PM

Yeah, a poll would be a good idea

Posted by: Hornet Fan | Dec 7, 2010 5:36:44 PM

I think it would be not only worth it for the Bobcats franchise and the city of Charlotte, but for the NBA as a whole. It would renew fan support without a doubt, it would remove many fans negative feelings with past ownership, and would increase ticket sales and revenue. If the NBA can move the New Orleans Hornets to Seattle (with Seattle somehow promising a new arena), brink back the Supersonic name that the city still has, give the Bobcat franchise a "discount" and "buy" the Hornets logo colors and previous Charlotte history, there is no way the NBA could lose on this deal. Crazy idea I understand, but plausible and could produce major money and renew interest for each city and the NBA.

Posted by: Koop | Dec 7, 2010 5:57:23 PM

I absolutely would love to have the Hornets name back.

Posted by: Brendan | Dec 7, 2010 6:00:20 PM

I have no doubt the Utah franchise would have no interest in giving up the Jazz name. They might have inherited it, but it's theirs and way too familiar to change. Kind of like when the Lakers moved from Minnesota to Los Angeles -- there might not be many lakes in Southern California, but the Lakers are the Lakers.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Dec 7, 2010 6:16:32 PM

The name BOBcats will always carry the negative memories of Bob Johnson in this town. There is at least some good memories of the name Hornets in this town.

Posted by: AppGrad04 | Dec 7, 2010 6:23:05 PM

Yes, bring back those hornets and their star draft pick Kobe Bryant!

With Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning, Rex Chapman, and Earl Curreton, Kobe will certainly bring a championship back to the Queen City!!!

Please, get over the nostalgia. The Hornets weren't all that good in Charlotte.

Chris Paul's the best player they've ever had – and he's a New Orleans Hornet.

Posted by: Mike | Dec 7, 2010 6:29:38 PM

Way ahead of ya, Rick. I made this page during last year's playoff push:

We Beelieve!!!

Posted by: John Morgan | Dec 7, 2010 6:32:50 PM

Too late for Hornets name back here.....to identifiable with Shinn and Woolridge,however ---cats name sucks...the perfect compromise is Cougars or just plain Cats without B--!

Posted by: keyman32 | Dec 7, 2010 6:35:34 PM

Right, Rick-
It's the same as when the Barbers of Seville became the New York Knicks.

Posted by: whollar | Dec 7, 2010 6:36:38 PM

Actually, the Hornets drafted Kobe Bryant and traded him immediately in a p[rearranged deal. Long live the Hornets, preferably in Charlotte, and not with that God-awful orange.

Posted by: rita kenion | Dec 7, 2010 6:45:20 PM

I would be happy with it. It's our name, they weren't the first team to be called that.

The team in New Orleans will be renamed in a couple years anyway, they'll be called the SuperSonics.

Posted by: Bobby | Dec 7, 2010 6:47:49 PM

At first I didn't feel it would matter much and not worth it, still not sure. But based on some of the responses seems pretty positive.
I was at the final playoff game for the Hornets, when I felt my first born kick for the first time. I remember listening on the radio the first time we beat the bulls, while my friends were inside a club looking for women.
Was Heartborken when the hornets left.

As long as we have a team here until after I'm dead and gone, call'em what you want!!!!

Posted by: David stern has to go!! | Dec 7, 2010 6:49:30 PM

One reason and one reason only... To fill the seats! The hornets consistently sold out the old stadium. A team named after the owner is obnoxious and off-putting. Bring back our Hornets!!!

Posted by: Wes | Dec 7, 2010 6:52:55 PM

I would be a season ticket holder if Charlotte got the Hornets back, it'll be like the old days!!!! Branding is key to a successful franchise. It's worth the investment.. trust me.

Posted by: Mikey Mike | Dec 7, 2010 7:02:15 PM

i hate the bobcats, i hate the nba since hornets left, they both suck, i am a bitter ex-hornets fan...rename the team the hornets and take their colors and i am back on board, call me stupid, call me crazy, those are my terms

Posted by: chris | Dec 7, 2010 7:17:08 PM

I don't live in Charlotte, so I don't have a sense of how much the Hornets' heritage still means to you guys. Judging from above, the opinion seems pretty mixed. The Hornets had some very good teams, though no rings, and the pain of Shinn moving might have left a bad taste for too many. If you do rebrand the Bobcats, maybe it would be better to let MJ decide on things. Whether Robert Johnson really named the franchise after himself or not, I don't see the Bobcat as a particularly engaging animal or nickname. Sounds too much like an expansion team. How about the AirCats, but then again, is there such a thing as a flying cat? On another note, the Hornets do have much nicer jerseys. I'll give them that. I've never become too fond of the Bobcat bluish gray. I also can't stand those Seahawk jerseys in football.

Posted by: Ari | Dec 7, 2010 8:24:14 PM

I mean i remember the days when my friends who weren't even living in Charlotte, they were fans of Alonzo, Mugsy and GranMaMa and they had them Hornets jersey's.....i want that feeling back again.
Maybe that's the reason why our luck in the draft has been sh*t. Get the Hornets name back and our luck might change

Posted by: I'm A Hole | Dec 7, 2010 8:37:05 PM

The name Bobcats has GOT TO GO. Way too much negative connotation to it. If we get the Hornets name back, that would be ideal, but really anything is better than Bobcats; JUST CHANGE THE NAME. We need MJ's identity, not Bob's identity. It might cost MJ more up front but it would be worth it over time.
Nobody wants to wear an orange Bobcats shirt around.
A new team identity is needed if they ever want people to wear team apparel. Hope MJ is reading this..

Posted by: Mike G | Dec 7, 2010 9:06:28 PM

Rick. If we could only get some of that good ole jump up and get down funky town music they would play in the old coly ! GLORIA !!!!
GLORIA!!!! GLORIA !!!!! I THINK I WANT TO SHOUT , RAISE YOUR HANDS UP , A BIT LOUDER NOW !!!! and bring back 1992 baby!!!!!!!!
Big I in the house!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: spanky | Dec 7, 2010 9:12:35 PM

After reading all of these comments, I cannot believe I just wasted 15 minutes of my life going through the above.

FIRST - Everyone above has tried to say that the Bobcats name is a direct link to Bob Johnson. While this may or may not be true, weren't there negative feelings for years against Shinn when he pulled the Hornets out of Charlotte?? Which brings me to #2...

SECOND - Shinn left YOU. He obviously didn't care about any feelings, memories, or other good times HIS Hornets had in Charlotte over the years. Everyone is talking about the merchandise being worn, the full Coliseum, and the winning teams. Shinn was about the money, so obviously there wasn't enough merchandise being bought or fans in seats. (He also wanted another arena, but that's another conversation). Again, Shinn took his Hornets and LEFT. Get over it, it's been long enough.

THIRD - How would the Hornets name make you or anyone else attend more games? Like previously stated, the only difference would be the name change. The players on the court would be the same Bobcats, not Chris Paul and the Hornets and DEF not the Hornets of yester year everyone is talking about.

FOURTH - If you haven't jumped on board for the Bobcats, then at this point they don't need you. The Hornets left in 2002, with the Bobcats coming in in 2004. There has been plenty of time for everyone to become Bobcats followers, but many refuse because they are still made at Shinn for moving THEIR team. While understandable, the Bobcats are now OUR team. TV deals also hurt the Bobcats exposure in the beginning.

Bottom line is, Shinn and the Hornets ran away from Charlotte, and now people are begging for them back. Here's an idea, if you have part of the $10 million-plus needed to change the name, image, logos, etc., how about you put your money out there.

Most fans would rather that money go towards the team and personnel on the court, to help the Bobcats against the challenge they are facing against those who will not accept them because of the hurt the Hornets caused.

Posted by: Nick | Dec 7, 2010 10:43:05 PM

Thanks for the community lecture, Nick...you sound like you work for the Bobcats....the organization that is always telling us what we are supposed to like!

By the way, if there is a plan on the table where MJ is going to pay $10 to sign CP or change the name - one or the other - I vote for CP.

If the choices are Augustine, Ajinca and Sean May or change the name...I vote for the name change. Just mail us the two options and we'll be happy to vote (with or without your approval).

Posted by: frank betts | Dec 7, 2010 10:59:47 PM

Frank, I do not work for the Bobcats, I just dislike all this talk of something that should not happen.

Speaking of VOTING, the fans played a part in selecting the BOBCATS name.

Bobcats, along with Charlotte Flight and Charlotte Dragons were the top three choices as voted by fans.The Charlotte Regional Sports Commission aided with the "Help Name The Team" effort that drew over 1,250 suggestions.

With the Panthers, Bobcats fit better than Flight and esp. over Dragons.

Posted by: Nick | Dec 7, 2010 11:09:02 PM

Nick..thanks for expressing some of the few sane thoughts about this matter.

Just interchange Hornets with Spouse #1 and Bobcats with Spouse #2. How does that family reunion work out when you tell Spouse #2 you want to use Spouse #1's name?

Does it make sense to the fans that have supported the Bobcats to tell them the closet full of Bobcats gear they have in their house is worthless because a group of fans that can't get over the fact that they supported a team owner(Hornets) who ripped their heart out, continuing his 'legacy' of a team name just seems likes a honor he has not earned.

If you want to support the Hornets, move to New Orleans or buy League Pass.

Posted by: BlockParty | Dec 7, 2010 11:10:49 PM