« Silas says he's not been contacted | Main | Brown was fired, no maybe about it »

December 22, 2010

...And now Silas is the interim coach

Less than two hours ago, Paul Silas said he'd be interested in being Charlotte Bobcats coach, but hadn't been contacted. Now he has been named interim coach.

Either the team works fast, or Silas told a whopper.

Posted by Observer Sports on December 22, 2010 at 06:26 PM | Permalink

Comments

LETS GO!!! Should have been hired after Cleveland let him go....good hire! Someone who builds without QUITTING!!!

SMDH @LB.....never finishes a job! PEACE

Posted by: Bobcat Terry | Dec 22, 2010 6:42:04 PM

Or C: you're really gullible.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 22, 2010 6:45:25 PM

This may very well be the Bobcat's best move yet!

Paul Silas is a class act who handled the Hornets situation like the gentleman and professional he is. He's a great leader, a great teacher and retained the respect of the fans. If he can't turn this team around, nobody can!

Posted by: John | Dec 22, 2010 6:45:26 PM

First, let me say that I love Paul Silas... I think he's a great "players coach". That said, is he really the answer here?? I'm not too sure he's a guy you want in our current situation. We shall see, but I don't believe he's going to be the permanent guy.

Posted by: appstategrad2008 | Dec 22, 2010 6:48:15 PM

The best choice for this team. I'm glad to see Paul Silas back again, excellent coach, arguably the Hornets best coach.

Posted by: ripp | Dec 22, 2010 6:55:14 PM

At least MJ cares enough during the season to care about his fans. Ole Jerry just let people suffer the entire season. At least he trying to make moves. I like Paul he makes players play hard talent or no talent. Oh I forgot the ole panthers lose by 20 pt tonight. lol

Posted by: tbird | Dec 22, 2010 6:55:36 PM

You're right Michael Procton. The solution would be not to call someone, ask him direct questions, and publish his responses.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Dec 22, 2010 7:06:25 PM

liar, liar! a no comment would have been better! he's got his hands full!

Posted by: digal704 | Dec 22, 2010 7:22:19 PM

Sure you don't want Sam Vincent again? Remember when you passed over Silas to hire that amazing motivator Sam Vincent? Wow, things change.

Posted by: May Felton Morrison Ajinca Fan | Dec 22, 2010 7:32:50 PM

Trade Boris Diaw, Shaun Livingston, Dominic McGuire and Collins. They're waste of the team's payroll dollars. Their contribution is so dismal......bring in Flip Murray to back up DJ Augustin. Start Tyrus Thomas with the first badge of players.....Nazr come in with the second team to help the offense and play Derick Brown consistently.

Posted by: zack212 | Dec 22, 2010 7:39:23 PM

Oh I forgot, trade Gina Diop for anything.

Posted by: zack212 | Dec 22, 2010 7:41:20 PM

I received an email at 4:32 about Paul Silas being interim coach. He lied straight up. Bonnell, I have a no-limit poker game I'd like you to come to.

Posted by: altheus | Dec 22, 2010 7:44:54 PM

WTF, I love this guy! Oh yea, wanna buy a team name?

Posted by: George Shinn | Dec 22, 2010 7:53:50 PM

Why is it that we cannot get any substantial analysis from the home town writers but yet CNN-SI already has several awesome articles up on what happened and why as well and a detailed history of Brown's career. Very lazy indeed.

Posted by: James Reed | Dec 22, 2010 7:56:11 PM

lol, the ONLY reason everyone is so happy with Paul Silas is due to not knowing much about the NBA they remember his name as a former Hornet coach. Look back and you will see that people couldnt stand him when team moved

Posted by: TeddyN | Dec 22, 2010 7:59:08 PM

Larry B. needs to go. He is a first class
loser and his teaching talents are second rate. He mopes and complains more than any other coach in the league. Send his sorry ass back to UCLA where they can lynch him for screwing the University over 20 years ago.

Posted by: chris wagner | Dec 22, 2010 8:33:13 PM

Wow I guess is desperate that he is pullin from the Hornets history.

But for now ...why not

Posted by: acc04 | Dec 22, 2010 8:40:59 PM

Silas had decent talent on the Cavs team. LeBron, Boozer, Big Z, Varaj, etc. High TO avg, decent rebounds, and still had losses. Whats his style of play?

Posted by: altheus | Dec 22, 2010 9:08:15 PM

I'm hopeful that Silas will let them play more freely. LB has really let the game pass him by. Judging by how well Felton has played in NY this year it makes one wonder. Sure NY's system benefits Felton, but its not as if Felton couldn't be doing the same thing on a number of teams. I don't think Silas is the long term answer though. TeddyN is right. People did complain about Silas when he was the Hornets coach.

Posted by: A_Wood | Dec 22, 2010 9:14:24 PM

Personally, I always preferred Dave Cowens to Paul Silas but I still think he WAS a great coach. It remains to be seen what he can do now. SInce this season looks to be a throw-away, can we expect any major roster shake-ups that perhaps land us a starting caliber PG?

Posted by: Houston | Dec 22, 2010 9:27:07 PM

I'm very excited about Paul Silas becoming the Bobcats new coach. In 2008, when various options were discussed after Sam Vincent was fired, I posted several comments in support of coach Silas over Larry Brown. It didn't happen then, and I wish Paul Silas got this job under different circumstances.

I feel it's unfair to him that he needs to pick up the pieces of a team left in disarray. Larry Brown returned here this season only out of loyalty for Michael Jordan. Loyalty is admirable, but it's not a good enough reason to take over a team, when he didn't have any other real motivation to be back here - with this team and far from his family. It would've been so much better for everybody if Larry Brown hadn't come back for this season, since his heart wasn't in it anymore from the very beginning, and if Silas had the chance to work with the team in training camp and in the preseason.

Good luck, coach Silas. I hope this mess isn't too deep to fix, and above all, I hope you'll be back coaching this team in '11-'12. That will be the time for a real turnabout.

Posted by: Sandy | Dec 22, 2010 9:53:20 PM

Silas - EXCELLENT choice.

Posted by: steve | Dec 22, 2010 9:57:35 PM

from the state of his coaching seasons, most seasons were winning seasons and it looks to be that the defense was always tops and the offense was average and the pace was slower(based on league rankings). Doesn't sound too different from LBs gameplan. One key difference is that his rotations were deep into the bench. I'm not sure how excited I am. LB was the best that ever did it with the Bobcats. I'm imagining Silas was watching the Bobcats carefully though so he's keen on the talent.

Posted by: altheus | Dec 22, 2010 9:57:53 PM

Altheus, Boozer played for the Cavs only in LeBron's rookie year. At that time LeBron was already good, but not yet great.
In LeBron's sophomore year, Paul Silas lost his job in Cleveland when their team had a winning record (34-30). That happened because the Cavs were going through a slump (3-9 in Silas last games with them). That means, he had them at 31-21 before that bump on the road. He was asking for patience, but, instead of letting him get them out of that funk, they fired him and replaced him with a much less capable coach (Mike Brown). Talk about a nervous/stupid management...

Paul Silas coached the Hornets for 4.5 seasons (last one in N.O.), for a total 208-155 record (.573). His lowest season record with the Hornets was equal to LB's most successful season with the 'Cats (44-38).

Posted by: Sandy | Dec 22, 2010 10:08:56 PM

I bet a major shakeup still goes down with the roster soon,,,,,,,Brown was a good coach, but he was some of the problem too,,,with the roster moves him and Jordan did.TyrusThomas shouldn't had got the money, it should have went to Felton. either way at least our draft picks will get to play,,,,we'll probably get a high one this year,,,,with our bad shooting.

Posted by: JC | Dec 22, 2010 10:18:54 PM

Last year, that team in Charlotte had:

Felton
DJ
Chandler
Ty Thomas
Gerald Wallace
Jackson
Diop
Henderson
Diaw
Derrick Brown
Nazr Mohammed
and a few others...

That team had size, great perimeter players....

How do you barely make the playoffs and get swept by Orlando and lose every game by line 30 points?

Not only that, Jordan and the staff was going to pick Lopez, but Brown just kept crying for DJ because Brown didn't want Felton. So they picked a midget point guard and now they are stuck with him. And in the same draft Brown wanted some french 7 footer and did not even play him any minutes...and he is eating frech fries....now.

Larry Brown won only 1 championship in 30 years in NBA and is fired by over 10 teams and he is hailed as the legendary coach. Legendary for what? for getting fired over 10 times?

Posted by: championshipss | Dec 23, 2010 5:35:14 AM