« Stray thoughts after a nice win | Main | Thomas "highly doubtful'' against Pacers »

December 08, 2010

Brown on McGuire vs. Derrick Brown

Many of you have written in lately to say you're mystified why Charlotte Bobcats coach Larry Brown is playing Dominic McGuire over Derrick Brown. So I posed that question to Larry Brown after practice Wednesday. His thoughts:

“(McGuire) is more of a (shooting guard/small forward) and Derrick is more of a (small forward/power forward). We’ve got Boris (Diaw), we’ve got Tyrus (Thomas) and we play Gerald (Wallace) there' (at power forward). Dominic is a much better defender. He’s a much better rebounder. And he’s coming off an injury (a preseason stress fracture), so we’re getting him to find his niche.

"Right now he’s trying to do too much,'' Brown continued on McGuire."The game he played against Milwaukee he got 15 rebounds, 16 points (actually 13) off six shots and shut John Salmons out. He’s not always going to go 5-for-6, but he’s a tremendous rebounder and has a chance to be a great defender. And he can handle the ball.''

Posted by Observer Sports on December 8, 2010 at 02:32 PM | Permalink

Comments

mcguire is a shooting guard who cant shoot. brown is a power forward with no power. trade them both and bring some players in who can actually play to their roles.

Posted by: the voice | Dec 8, 2010 2:55:17 PM

Say what you want LB, you suck. Regardless of all this BS you say about him he isn't helping the team whatsoever, other than that Bucks game which was a complete FLUKE.

Once Henderson gets back we shouldn't be seeing anymore of this guy McGuire, then again it's LB so you never know

Posted by: I'm A Hole | Dec 8, 2010 3:06:24 PM

I Love you Larry, but the truth is McGuire is a shooting guard who can't shoot. And in what world is a shooting guard a better rebounder than a power forward.Larry you know more about X and O's than all of us put together.But McGuire would not start on most teams in the D-L. where Brown can be a real Good pro.Larry you wrong on this.And while you at it Larry go out and find you a real center KB is a joke. with a real center this team can go somewhere.Both Okafer and Chandler would have filled the role of a real center. what you have now is a joke.But I love the Bobcats and this team is getting better.

Posted by: tarhellkenneth | Dec 8, 2010 3:22:13 PM

Absolutely ridiculous. Larry needs to go. McGuire cant do anything better than Derrick Brown. Nothing. McGuire had one good (decent) game against the freaking Bucks without Bogut. I mean we arent talking about a tough team here. When this guy is on the court he is either messing up or invisible. At least when Brown gets out there you know he's there.

I mean Larry is trying to prove a point here or something because its just being obtuse as far as im concerned. McGuire isnt half the basketball player Brown is. not half. I think we need to go in a different direction coaching wise. Larry is on the way out regardless and this team isnt playing good basketball. Whats the point of keeping him? We need direction and a philosophy that works not a half retired, rookie hating crumudgeon who uses D-leaguers to prove a point.

Posted by: Mustachio | Dec 8, 2010 3:22:34 PM

LB that's a lame excuse D Brown's worst game was better than McGuire's best game. Not taking anything away from McGuire but rebounder yeah he definitely is good at that. But shooting guard wow and defender when he keeps getting three pointers drained in his mouth. Where is the better defender. D Brown can jump out the gym and quickness off the ball says a lot. LB you need some better glasses cause I can't see what you're seeing on the floor.

Posted by: tbird | Dec 8, 2010 3:25:21 PM

Also, sounds like a winning combination for losing games.lol

Posted by: tbird | Dec 8, 2010 3:27:34 PM

When are we getting rid of KWame Brown , I see why all the other teams didnt want hime, omg he sucks

Posted by: DD1103 | Dec 8, 2010 3:36:44 PM

Voice...are you sure you're watching the same Bobcats as we all are? The article is talking about Derrick Brown, not Kwame Brown. No power? haha...every time I see D. Brown get the ball, he is trying to dunk the ball. If all of our players go up to the basket with his type of intensity, we'd be hard to beat! He usually either gets the dunk or the foul. Can't argue about that!

Trade D. Brown and Mcguire? For whom? We did that when we got rid of Shannon Brown, and look what he has turned into for the Lakers.

Posted by: Kenneth | Dec 8, 2010 3:38:24 PM

By the way Brett at Queen City Hoops has the adjusted plus/minus that shows McGuire's value over Derrick Brown.

Posted by: QCSports | Dec 8, 2010 3:46:39 PM

I respect LB but McGuire must have pictures of him with a farm animal because the guy can't shoot and minimally defends. D Brown was a better draft pick then G Henderson so make sure he plays and grows. If we need a shooting guard what about Matt C. I know he may not be the fastest but he positions himself well and can shoot given some minutes(8-12)

Posted by: Bob | Dec 8, 2010 3:48:30 PM

McGuire is big enough to match up against big shooting guards, and that's why he plays. It gives Jack a chance to matchup better on the defensive end so he can give it all on offense. Agree with LB that they play different positions...DB is not going to be guarding shooting guards in this league. Would love to see DB get more minutes, but not at the expense of Wallace, Thomas, or Diaw.

Posted by: Rick Bonn | Dec 8, 2010 3:58:23 PM

I call shenanigans:

Per sports-reference.com, McGuire has a major edge in Total Rebound Percentage: 18.3% vs. 9.9%. Now, I’d love to see what Dominic’s numbers would be here without his 13/15 game, but I won’t split hairs here.

On the same website, McGuire’s defense rating is 105. Brown’s is 107. On offense, McGuire’s rating is 83, while Derrick’s is 119.

Per Hollinger’s rankings, McGuire is 151st with a 6.6 PER. Brown clocks in at 67 with a 14.53 PER.

Wingspan?

McGuire: 6’ 10.5"
Brown: 7’ 2.5"

Maximum vertical (draftexpress.com’s pre-draft measurement)?

McGuire: 34.5
Brown: 35.5

Bench press? (again, pre-draft measurement from draftexpress.com):

McGuire: 12
Brown: 20

I defy anyone to go over these stats, and tell me with a straight face that McGuire deserves playing time at the expense of D. Brown adding to his DNP-CD collection.

Posted by: Newsinz | Dec 8, 2010 3:58:44 PM

Kenneth derrick brown is a runt that gets pushed around like a little girl. exploding to the rim on off side cuts when no one is defending you does not make you powerful it makes you athletic. by your reasoning i guess you think someone like gerald green is powerful too. standing your ground not giving up position and and backing defenders down is what makes you powerful all things that derrick brown can not do.

Posted by: the voice | Dec 8, 2010 4:29:58 PM

i want my team back...

Posted by: bob johnson | Dec 8, 2010 4:32:48 PM

Ya I wouldn't want to put an athletic team on the floor to run press/traps. DJ, Jack, Wallace, Thomas, and Brown (or Henderson). If LB wants to talk shooting, put Matt Carol in the game. I'm not buying it. Derek Brown is in the dog house so LB is making excuses. Getting tired of him not coaching the team we have, instead he wants a team that fits his style. LB, like a plant GM, can make us more effecient and not more profitable. We need wins while we are close. Injuries will give him time to test McGuire.

Posted by: Sesaon Tick Holder | Dec 8, 2010 4:42:49 PM

LB's assessment is accurate. Derrick Brown is a jumper with huge athleticism. Dominic McGuire is a defensive specialist with scoring potential. Gerald Henderson is an all-purpose guard ready to contribute. It's the coach's perogative 100% to use bench players according to preceived floor contribution. All deserve playing time.

Posted by: Rick | Dec 8, 2010 5:59:17 PM

OKAY OKAY I DONT AGREE WITH GM OF THE BOBCATS OR LB SO THIS WHAT I THINK ABOUT THE WHOLE DEAL, YOU DRAFT ADAM MORRISON, YOU DONT TRADE THE OUR TWO DRAFT PICKS MOVE UP AND GET CHRIS PAUL, YOU TRADE FOR J-RICH YOU TRADE J-RICH YOU TRADE AGAIN YOU GET STEP JACKSON, YOU TRADE EMEKA YOU GET TYSON CHANDLER YOU TRADE TYSON YOU GET DAMPIER YOU RELEASE DAMPIER; OKAY OKAY

NEW PLAN FOR MICHEAL JORDAN

1.FIRE YOUR GM HIRE A NEW GM

2.BUY THE RIGHTS TO THE HORNETS NAME AND GET BOB JOHNSON CATS OUT OF TOWN

3.REBUILD IN THE DRAFT, TAKE YOUR TIME AND REBUILD IN THE DRAFT, LET ALL THESE CONTRACTS TURN-OVER ARE THAT DRAFT PICKS AND GET MORE CAP-RELIEF

Posted by: RAHSHON GAMBLE | Dec 8, 2010 6:36:33 PM

I want hornets name back HORNETS HORNETS HORNETS

Posted by: toby gerhart | Dec 8, 2010 6:42:17 PM

My season tickets are baseline. I've only seen DJ Augie make 3 layups in the last 2 years. Man I wish we had Felton back.

Posted by: Phil Dees | Dec 8, 2010 7:39:21 PM

That is ridiculous. McGuire will be out of the league next year unless Larry is coaching somewhere. Has Larry Hughes landed any where? I didn't think so. Coach Brown must have missed the Miami game where D Brown locked down Lebron in the 2nd half and helped bring us back. If this team makes the playoffs it will be inspite of Larry Brown not becasue of him.

Posted by: Gary | Dec 8, 2010 7:59:50 PM

Larry Brown is a hall a fame coach. He knows the game inside out. He can think of way to use Derrick because he is a wonderful player. Its more to it than shoot guard small forward excuse. When it comes to our young guys I have know idea what Larry is doing. Even D J's second year he struggled under Brown. I love Larry and at the same time I don't understand Him. But I see where in the *th spot if playoff started today. So I figure I trust him. DJ needs to play thats what I think. But Larry has been to the finals twice. And a Championships in College and the NBA so defiantly he can coach. Conclusion I've got to support this team. The players,coaches as well a the front office. There not going to listen to me so I may as well support them and bring positive energy to a struggling team (or one that has not live up to expectation). Were playoff bound and maybe just maybe Larry is developing players so we don't get sweep next time. We know what Broww and Diop bring. What we don't know is the value of McGuire and Kwame. And please leave Kwame alone. He's balling, Give more than any of thought so support Him. For what he's doing and plus put us 7 million under the cap back off all you FRONT RUNNERS!!!! LETS GO CATS!!!! YOU HAVE MY SUPPORT!!! But hear this PLAY DERRICK he is exciting.

Posted by: Being Honest | Dec 8, 2010 8:45:23 PM

From what I've read about Larry is the kids have to be equal to or better than the vets in practice. whether is 5 on 5 or less. That hasn't happened in practice where they actually know what the other player is about to do. Stay in from of your guy and defend the post up, box out and get the rebound, protect the ball, fast break, make the right play. That's what DBrown apparently isn't doing. I've met him. I like watching him throw it down. But he's gotta push the other guy off his spot. Not to mention he'd play behind Gerald, Tyrus, and Boris. Macs competitors are Jack, Carroll, and Henderson. The strongest plays.

Credit to Boris for backing Carmelo down for the easy two; and tonight Melo is nursing a knee because of it.

Posted by: altheus | Dec 8, 2010 8:49:49 PM

WHEN YOU GOT TEAM THAT CANT SHOOT IT BETTER BE A TEAM THAT REBOUNDS THAT WHY THE KID IS PLAYING LB KNOWS WHAT HES DOING THE FIRST 35 GAMES ARE ADJUSTMENT THEY WILL PLAY BETTER BALL DOWN THE STRETCH AND MAY MAKE A TRADE AT DEAD LINE THEY ARE BEING SHREWD IN WAITING FOR THE RIGHT TRADE

Posted by: AIRROME | Dec 8, 2010 8:53:37 PM

*with grammatical updates.
From what I've read about Larry is the kids have to be equal to or better than the vets in practice. Whether it's 5 on 5 or less. That hasn't happened in practice. Where they actually know what the other player is about to do. The role is stay in front of your guy and defend the post up, box out and get the rebound, protect the ball, fast break, make the right play. That's what DBrown apparently isn't doing. I've met him. I like watching him throw it down but he's gotta push the other guy off his spot. Not to mention he'd play behind Gerald, Tyrus, and Boris. Macs competitors are Jack, Carroll, and Henderson. The strongest plays.

Posted by: altheus | Dec 8, 2010 9:08:49 PM

two things though;
alexi ajinca got major praise for the Dallas game yesterday. Rebounds, Blocks, Defense. All his Dleague allstar norm. And we traded him. Can't teach tall.

Boston claimed a few players were not likely to play tonight just before the Denver game. So, as Melo sits out and Denver likely thought they'd bully the injured Cs, Boston is pulling away for the win. I can here Doc Rivers saying to Karl, in a raspy voice, "psych!"!

Posted by: altheus | Dec 8, 2010 9:25:11 PM

I swear I can't wait for this old man to leave. He has no interest in developing any talent we have, instead he wants to trade them all away like he has done before. McGuire won't play for anybody but you larry in this league. Now you are using his fluke game to demonstrate how good he can be. Please. FYI Salmons has been struggling no matter who gaurds him.

I will never forget when Dudley said that it is not about him being better but about a coach who will allow him to make some mistakes on court. As far LB is corncerned offense is a necessary evil.

Posted by: crymeariver | Dec 9, 2010 12:37:09 AM

You guys have to remember LB is the same guy who played Diop over Nazr because he wanted to prove that he knows what he was talking about.

Posted by: crymeariver | Dec 9, 2010 12:47:14 AM

The question should be "Why is Dominic McGuire even in the NBA"?

Posted by: apauldds | Dec 9, 2010 4:04:29 PM

Yo voice, BE SILENT and you'll seem muc smarter. You are the Gerald Henderson of commenters, all mouth and no game!

Posted by: keyman32 | Dec 9, 2010 7:53:03 PM

A Hole you are way to dumb tobe an AH, you'd have to study along time. You are just a DUMB A--

Posted by: keyman32 | Dec 9, 2010 7:57:47 PM

when gerald henderson gets back from injury then we will have a debate. mcguire is playing almost all of his minutes at shooting guard. there are almost NO minutes at the 3 to be had since we play wallace 40 mpg and we play augustin and livingston together with jackson for atleast 4 or 5 mpg. derrick brown is not a shooting guard.

not to mention, we don't want derrick brown to blow up and scoot off in free agency. i would much rather hide the kid under a rock as wallace ages out and sign him long term in the summer and let him take over gradually over the next 2-3 years.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 9, 2010 9:31:12 PM

mcguire is not the bad of a player like you guys think, half you don't even know talent when you see it, he is a better ball handler than brown, better rebounder, better defensive player and the both average shooters, but he is more agreesive than brown, and i like brown too, i think brown has the better upside and future, but right now mcguire gives us our best chance to win versus brown..

Posted by: callitlikeiseeit | Dec 10, 2010 8:21:07 PM