« ...And now Silas is the interim coach | Main | A dramatic contrast in coaches »

December 22, 2010

Brown was fired, no maybe about it

To say Michael Jordan and Larry Brown mutually agreed on a coaching change is like saying you and the bank mutually agreed your house would be foreclosed.

Brown was fired as Charlotte Bobcats coach Wednesday, plain and simple. The team did him a disservice by characterizing it any other way. People close to Brown tell me this makes him look like a quitter, and that's just not what happened. If he failed to make this team better this season, then fine, he'll accept that, but don't make this look like he chose to walk away.

Brown wants to continue coaching, and the perception he walked away could hurt his chances of landing another job. That's not fair and it's not right.

Posted by Observer Sports on December 22, 2010 at 09:31 PM | Permalink

Comments

MJ should have to coach this team...he's the one that send the bus with no brakes speeding towards toward the cliff. He should be the one that has to stop the bus in time. Otherwise, blow the team up. Sitting in no man's land isn't the place to be. Bill Simmons makes this point well this up well in his podcast with the wizards's owner.

Sadly, unlike other former stars like Isiah, Baylor, or McHale we're stuck with MJ no one can fire him. Except himself.

I'm done with the Cats until they do one of the two options.

Posted by: I used to sit near Buzz | Dec 22, 2010 9:44:58 PM

I don't think Jordan has done a poor as an owner. Actually, he's made a lot of progess on the business side. But he could do himself a lot of good by being more open to explaining his decisions in situations like this.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Dec 22, 2010 9:58:39 PM

That's great that the business community is starting to show. But they aren't going to want to attach themselves to a team that is floundering, shows no signs of progress, and if anything has regressed.(My tickets were cancelled largely due to this, not to mention the horrible sales staff) There's only so much a one day MJ Lunch/Fantasy Camp is worth to the potential big money buyers.

Barring a drafting/free agency miracle (something they have never been able to pull off to date) the team isn't going to be anything more than a 8th seed playoff contender (that's being generous) for the foreseeable future. The writing has been on the wall for awhile. Yet, MJ and his posse continue to sacrifice our future (and cap space) for guys that aren't going to make the kind of impact we need to get over the hump (going all the way back to the Wallace signing). They tried to show they had learn from this with letting Felton walk (the right move despite what he's doing in NY), only to give Tyrus Thomas a criminally excessive contract. HE'S ON THE BOOK FOR 9.35 MILLION IN 2013/2014!!!

We've been sold a bill of goods. Sell it however you would like to Rick. But the facts remain: this team is going nowhere soon and personnel management is the direct cause.

Posted by: I used to sit near Buzz | Dec 22, 2010 10:14:41 PM

Excuse me, I cited the wrong salary/year on the Thomas contract. It's ONLY 8.6 in 13/14, 9.38 in 14/15.

Posted by: I used to sit near Buzz | Dec 22, 2010 10:17:13 PM

I'm not "selling'' anything -- couldn't care less whether they make $10 or lose $1 million. That's not my job. I'm saying Jordan has done a pretty good job the past few months of impacting what he can, and he had a better chance of impacting the business side first. And the best way to improve the product is to improve the revenue that pays for the product.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Dec 22, 2010 10:26:59 PM

Rick, what do you hear about what our potential replacements might be? Will Silas be our full-time coach if he does an adequate job as an interim or is MJ looking to spend money and land someone more well-known such as many Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson or Mike Brown?

Posted by: Pratik | Dec 22, 2010 10:33:00 PM

Rick, what do you hear about what our potential replacements might be? Will Silas be our full-time coach if he does an adequate job as an interim or is MJ looking to spend money and land someone more well-known such as maybe Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson or Mike Brown?

Posted by: Pratik | Dec 22, 2010 10:33:49 PM

Rick, I thought you were on vacation

Posted by: Digal704 | Dec 22, 2010 10:34:54 PM

can't help but feel like this has been developing for some time. Maybe there have been some differences of opinion on players. Maybe Jordan felt Brown didn't give it his all because of Jordan asking for a draft pick this summer if a team wanted to pursue Brown.

Posted by: GoBobs | Dec 22, 2010 10:43:36 PM

So Rick, do you think it would've helped Larry Brown's image if it had been officially announced that he's fired, after a 28 games part-season failure? I really don't think so.

Your comment above is very sorrowful for coach Brown. How do you feel about the mess in which this team is now? I am a Bobcats' fan from Day 1, not an LB fan, and I am truly sorry for the state of the team. At this point, will you still continue to praise the coach who failed this season, or will you agree that his taking responsiblility for how bad this team was looking was genuine and meaningful - not merely some polite phrasing?

I wished coach Silas got this job in 2008.
When MJ's chose coach Brown, I expressed full support for him, in the hope he will make the Bobcats successful. I praised LB repeatedly for bringing the 'Cats to the playoffs last season. However, continued support for him in the face of failure is not right, and doesn't lead anywhere.

As I said above Rick, I'm not sure whether you continue your support for Larry Brown or you have some critical summary of his third seasoon with our team yet to come. I have no prejudice, I wait to see.
I only hope that coach Silas will get at least 80% of the support and praises that you constantly lavished on Larry Brown.
For starters, your "told a whopper" comment was disrespectful, IMO. There are situations when people aren't ready to disclose too much, before it's time for disclosure. There was nothing wrong with withholding that particular bit of information for a short while, and it should be left at that. Wouldn't you agree that this is a more appropriate way of commenting on coach Silas' early answer to your question?

Posted by: Sandy | Dec 22, 2010 10:44:18 PM

Actually, Sandy, if Paul didn't want to lie, perhaps he should not have answered his phone. There's a big difference between not volunteering information and lying. I'm surprised -- because you seem like a very bright and reasonable person -- that you'd think otherwise.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Dec 22, 2010 10:54:54 PM

He should be glad he was able to sucker those poor fools from last and this year into a minimum three year contract. (The previously mentioned lunches and camps no doubt a large part).

But it's all but guaranteed (barring said miracles) renewal rates will be in the tank unless he ups the ante by having a deal to coach the team for a night (might be able to do better than LB or soon-to-be Mr. conveniently living on Lake Norman out of the league for six years) or sit beside him and his Cuban girlfriend court-side (don't want to give his sales staff anymore ideas).

You can only fool the naive for so long before they start to catch on.

But I will give them this: it only took 6 years for the bobcats organization (previously Bob and now MJ) to finally get the bobcats on Comporium Cable (York county, SC). I live less than 20 minutes from the arena, yet have been getting Atlanta Hawks games on TV for years. Though for this year and probably until 2014, it's probably better to watch the previous Hawks than the current and future inept 'Cats.

Posted by: I used to sit near Buzz | Dec 22, 2010 10:54:57 PM

You have a point here, Rick.
But I have my point too. Is the language of that comment you posted an appropriate way to welcome our new coach? It still was a minor thing. What's major is turning a team that became dysfunctional lately into a decent one for the remainder of this season, and into a really successful one next season. I strongly hope that coach Silas will achieve improvement (though, evidently, it's not all in his hands, and much will depend on the management's future player personnel steps too). I also hope you'll show support for him, Rick.

Posted by: Sandy | Dec 22, 2010 11:05:27 PM

I actually saw this coming. The last 1.5 weeks has been like a slow motion train wreck, with Larry just acting very despondant. The players stop trying. For a long time, we have covered our lack of talent with solid defense, lots of fouls (and free throws) and above average rebounding. All of that is gone.

Larry has been right to criticize his players. You don't coach players to not shoot before the 24 second shot clock sounds. That's just laziness and selfishness. You don't coach not cheating back on defense when shooting a 3, but lately we seemed stunned at the long rebound and transition offense.

I appreciate all that LB did, but it was time. It was obvious that if we didn't go deeper in the playoffs this season, that he wasn't going to return, so why not go ahead and move forward, rather than spend 6 months in limbo.

Posted by: onewhowatched | Dec 22, 2010 11:09:13 PM

If you will let it, this too shall pass. If you don't want to cheer on the team any longer then don't, and don't bother telling us any more about it. If like me, you'll be happy you have a pro ball club at all, and hope that management will find the right solution. (Also hoping for lower ticket prices would be in order:-). I'd rather live in a city that has a team than be in one that has a reputation for losing them to fair-weather fans.

Posted by: brian | Dec 22, 2010 11:11:51 PM

Ah yes the eternal sunshine pumper, I bet you think Matt Moore just needs some more seasoning before he's the next Tom Brady or even that Matt Carroll would be worth all that money we spent on him if we could just give the guy a few more minutes a game!

Much like politicians there are only a few ways we are able to show sports team owners our disdain in an effective manner, in politics it's to vote for the other guy....in sports, it's to quit buying tickets.

Have fun the next few seasons, brian! I hear there are plenty of seats available!

Give me a ring when MJ sells the team or finds someone competent of running an NBA franchise on a day-to-day basis.

Posted by: I used to sit near Buzz | Dec 22, 2010 11:33:19 PM

Larry Brown quit, but doesn't want everyone to know he quit, because other owners will think he's a coach that quits, and will be hesitant to give him another job, correct? Alot of fans have been upset with LB, we've questioned his rotations, his desire to coach, some of us have been saying he appears to be trying to get fired because for some reason he didn't want to quit. I always thought he didn't want to quit on Mike because they were so close, however, the real reason is Larry didn't want his quitting to affect his future coaching jobs.
I have no doubt Lary didn't give it his all this season in Charlotte, we're now 9-17 and everyone wonders why this team struggled, because we had a coach who didn't care about being here since the summer and he coached like that.
LB tried to ruin this teasm season so he could get fired, how can anyone respect a guy like this. I gave him too much credit for assuming he didn't want to quit on Mike, boy was I wrong. Godd riddance Larry, don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split ya!

Posted by: Mr Goodlove | Dec 22, 2010 11:35:01 PM

@ Rick Bonnell: Way to state the obvious above in your blog. Whenever a coach resigns in the middle of a season or after a season, they are most likely avoiding the word FIRED beside their name. I suggest you hand the torch back over to your boy, Ron Green Jr., and go back to sipping on your egg nog (you know. the one that you secretly poured Evan WIlliams Bourbon into without your family knowing) or whatever you sub-par columnists do over the holidays to take a break from writing irrelevant articles and blogs that no one reads.

Posted by: 12 Minutes of Bobcat Energy | Dec 23, 2010 1:47:42 AM

Larry Brown won 1 title in 30 yrs. Overrated. Only thing that keeps him a paycheck is his UNC boys backing him

Posted by: tim | Dec 23, 2010 3:59:34 AM

Bonnell, get your nose out of Larry's azz...

Posted by: Pinball34 | Dec 23, 2010 4:27:15 AM

sandy is nailing this on the head but....

silas had us within an eddie robinson brick of the eastern conference finals. he was a far better coach than some realize. he gets a lot out of a little. and he had a knack for developing young guys into solid role players....lee nailon, eddie robinson, jamal magloire, ricky davis, brad miller, etc.

i just really hate that he and oakley didn't have ajinca to work with. they might have been the difference that kid needed. either way they have brown and thomas and hopefully they are the difference needed with them. i think the biggest impact will be in augustin because surely he will play with more freedom and less pressure.

there is not a better guy for the job. i honestly thought he wasn't even an option anymore and thought frank was going to be the best available. just as good if not better. better because of him living here and being a former player and being a former coach here from when it was successful. even if you're a silas hater, as a charlottean you gotta feel like this is pretty cool. and oakley on the bench with him? would adding muggsy to the fold be overdoing it? he was at one point a successful wnba coach and right now we have a couple of B's on the roster.

in regards to his cleveland days, that was a rebuilding project, he took over when they had the number 1 pick (lebron) and he was there less than 2 years.

and tim technically he won 2. 1 of which (ncaa) is much harder to come by given quantity of teams, quantity of wins in a row necessary. and considering that in the past 30 years, only like 9 franchises (off the top approx) have won championships his 1 is a pretty big deal. ask jerry sloan. only coaches won more than 1 lately are riley, jackson, poppovich, and daly.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 23, 2010 8:19:14 AM

Donavan Mcnabb was benched for not performing so the same should apply to Larry Brown. I dont see why Rick is acting all shocked. Larry Brown is NOT the answer and lets get a new NBA writer while we are at it.Perhaps a former NBA player or anyone who has played the game unlike these nerd we have here

Posted by: cmeck71 | Dec 23, 2010 8:24:58 AM

Brown had lost the confidence of the team. I don't know what else you can do.

Posted by: Courtside | Dec 23, 2010 8:29:34 AM

he deserves to be fired for some of the things he said in the media about the team and you can tell he mentally gave up onthis team, it was time for new blood

Posted by: callingitlikeiseeit | Dec 23, 2010 8:56:38 AM

Unless Brown or Jordan said he was FIRED how can anyone say that for sure? Respect the hall of fame coach and let him leave the way he wants..........

Posted by: BURNTICE | Dec 23, 2010 1:36:21 PM