« Henderson expects to be back in 1 week | Main | Stray thoughts on the Nets game »

December 03, 2010

Jackson's open letter to fans

Stephen Jackson just emailed this open letter:

Bobcats Fans,

People do not like to admit they are wrong, but my actions in Milwaukee last week resulted in an ejection and ultimately an NBA suspension for the next game. As a result, I let myself, my teammates and my coaches down, but more importantly, I let our fans down. In my heart, I know I have to adjust my emotions on the floor and I vow to work harder than ever to not put myself or this team in that situation again.

I understand the rules that the NBA has established to govern players’ behavior on the floor and I respect the job the officials have each night. NBA players are bigger, faster and more athletic than ever, so being able to call a perfect game each night and see every foul is tough, and I have to take that into consideration.

I play this game with all the passion, love and respect of those who came before me. It’s a privilege to play professional basketball and I have been blessed with the talent and opportunity to play this game at a high level. In order for me to display those gifts, I have to be on the floor with my teammates. As a co-captain, I have to lead by example and I feel it’s my obligation and commitment to this team to carry out those responsibilities.

I’m back tonight as we take on the New Jersey Nets, and I hope to continue bringing you memorable moments on the court and not for my behavior.

Sincerely,

Stephen

Posted by Observer Sports on December 3, 2010 at 01:46 PM | Permalink

Comments

Thank you and I look forward to seeing you play tonight.

Posted by: onewhowatched | Dec 3, 2010 2:06:08 PM

This is a very sweet apology, Stephen. I forgive you. I am looking forward to cheering you and the team to victory tonight.

Posted by: Polly Little | Dec 3, 2010 2:06:20 PM

Apology accepted Jack. As a fan i am very passionate about the teams i pull for to win. When i see a player who has been playing this game for a long time and still wants to win as bad as anyone else in the building that is why i pay money to come see you play. Stay strong and play hard tonight...i know you will. Go Cats!

Posted by: justafan | Dec 3, 2010 2:18:03 PM

That in and of itself shows that the Bobcats still have a long way to go in winning over this area.

Nice letter though.

Posted by: QB's please stand up | Dec 3, 2010 2:18:27 PM

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for him as far as techs. This team needs a winning streak and we can't get one going without Jax. Lets hope he understands that.

Posted by: nucat | Dec 3, 2010 2:20:00 PM

Thanks Stephen - it is evident that you have grown a lot over the past few years. I, for one, am glad that Larry took a chance on you last year. You make the team better - writing this letter was not something you had to do - the fans appreciate your dedication.

Posted by: DCfor3 | Dec 3, 2010 2:20:53 PM

Thanks for the apology. It takes a big person to admit he was wrong. I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles four things, actually five things:
a rainy day, the elderly, lost luggage, tangled Christmas tree lights... and being wrong. This shows class and it is truly appreciated. GO BOBCATS!

Posted by: Cindy | Dec 3, 2010 2:25:33 PM

Everyone makes mistakes. What separates the boys from the men is that the men own up and take the consequences. You showed yourself a man here.

Posted by: BullCityDog | Dec 3, 2010 2:29:02 PM

Jack,definitely a class move but, there is no need to apologize, I wish David Stern would write an apology for being an incompetent jackass and ruining the NBA....

Posted by: Jamaal | Dec 3, 2010 2:32:16 PM

Thank you for this letter, Stephen.

I hope you will follow through with your promise for the rest of this season.
You are very important to this team, and we just can't afford your being out of games.

Posted by: Sandy | Dec 3, 2010 2:33:40 PM

Cap'n Jack! That's the leader I love to see on the court, watching from Baltimore as a displaced Bobcats fan. Keep up the hard work.

Posted by: duffster | Dec 3, 2010 2:34:26 PM

I forgive you, but I want you to start playing like a vet. You should be setting an example for the young guys given the time you have played in the league.

Posted by: GoBobs | Dec 3, 2010 2:39:02 PM

I don't need an apology. Stephen Jackson doesn't owe me anything except passion for the team that I call "my team," and he demonstrates every night his passion.

I'm not being snarky, but I'd rather have an apology from Boris for being so lethargic.

Posted by: On and On | Dec 3, 2010 2:53:40 PM

Thanks Captain Jack! I appreciate everything you do on game day and hate when your not on the floor. Watching & following from Dallas, Texas GO BOBCATS!

Posted by: FergDaddy | Dec 3, 2010 2:54:41 PM

Well said...don't think I've ever seen a player do that before. I like it.

Now if only the entire Panthers team could apologize for their behavior on the field...

Posted by: vcw_charlotte | Dec 3, 2010 3:04:52 PM

I can't stay mad at you Stephen!!! Thanks for the apology you the man and keep reppin' this city for us.

Posted by: toby gerhart | Dec 3, 2010 3:06:34 PM

Stephen,

Keep the heart and passion! I think everyone who watches you play can certainly admire and appreciate that. Add a dash of integrity and you have figured out the Charlotte way. We are proud of you for understanding there might be a need for an apology and hope that you are a Bobcat for a very long time.

Posted by: Kevin | Dec 3, 2010 3:11:41 PM

Appreciate the apology but actions talk louder than words. I'll reserve my opinons until the end of the season.

Whatever the sport when new rules are introduced or the enforcement of exisitng rules are increased the referees/umpires go overboard as the season progresses things reach a middle ground as the players get use to the rules and the officials start to use their brains and enforce based on intent. Be patient the T situation will find a middle ground.

Posted by: Bob | Dec 3, 2010 3:12:15 PM

It takes a big man to say I am sorry. As a fan I say: Thank You!I'll be there tonight pulling for the Bobcats!

Posted by: Al | Dec 3, 2010 3:12:16 PM

Freakin' AWESOME!!! Try getting that sort of apology from John Fox or Jerry Richardson. I'm a bigger Jax fan now than ever!

Posted by: Roger | Dec 3, 2010 3:14:35 PM

"When I saw this headline, my first thought was what does Stephen Jackson have to be sorry for, the Rams are tied for 1st place."

HAHAHAHAH SAME

Posted by: kevin | Dec 3, 2010 3:33:10 PM

Actually my agent wrote that letter. And if you throw beer on me, I will go into the stands and punch you.

Have a nice weekend.

Stepehn

Posted by: Stephen Jackson | Dec 3, 2010 3:39:20 PM

Maybe you should go for anger management, admitting you have a problem is the first step to resolving it. Nice apology though, most players wouldn't do it. Action speaks louder that words... we'll see. GO 'CATS!

Posted by: bcatsfan | Dec 3, 2010 3:47:04 PM

SALUTE CAPT JACK!!!

From D.R.Universal 'dA cApt' of No Question Music

Posted by: Bobcat Terry | Dec 3, 2010 3:52:01 PM

I like tuhtles.....

Posted by: TJ | Dec 3, 2010 3:52:54 PM

I hope so, you are so much better than that!

Posted by: Digal704 | Dec 3, 2010 4:07:45 PM

Damn can the refs apologize for kissing David Stern's dairyaire. But Capt Jack go into New Jersey and light it up on them boys one more gen. Thanks a real cool letter in fact though.

Tbird

Posted by: tbird | Dec 3, 2010 4:11:37 PM

I don't care about a letter. I want to see if he'll actually behave like an adult on the court.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 3, 2010 4:29:43 PM

The Rams player is Steven Jackson.

Posted by: fan | Dec 3, 2010 4:36:32 PM

Jackson getting technicals and tossed out of games actually reflect the fact that David Stern is not allowing our games to be called fairly. Watch any game and you'll see guys arguing in ways Jackson hardly ever does. He has a reputation but that's not indicative of his true actions and character.

Posted by: altheus | Dec 3, 2010 5:07:32 PM

Sweet letter Jack....you truly love this game, but you disappoint so many of us with your attitudes. Please change your behavior or else, we don't want you to change like Iversion, who couldn't find a team in the NBA to hire him. Remember....this is America, and you're judge by your past deeds.

Play hard tonite and turn the page! Go cats!

Posted by: zack212 | Dec 3, 2010 5:24:29 PM

Just another trash talking, hip-hop thug. Typical NBA player.

Posted by: pir8fan | Dec 3, 2010 5:31:55 PM

I cannot forgive this behavior - again. I was willing to give you another shot when you became a hometown guy. I was getting past your trip into the stands to pummel a few unruly fans back in 2004. So much for second chances.

Posted by: Doug | Dec 3, 2010 5:42:21 PM

Takes a man to do this.

Jack we all as fans can see why you get P.O.. However does not help. Make the shot first and worry about the foul when the whistle blows!

Everyone slamming Stern(dictator, emphasis on Dic.) I agree 110%!!

Posted by: Frustrated | Dec 3, 2010 5:51:17 PM

Classy move Jack, got out and play like we know you can.
Let your game speak for you!

Posted by: Jonny | Dec 3, 2010 6:15:54 PM

Yeah, Frustrated...or an intern in the PR department.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 3, 2010 7:34:55 PM

Did David Stern make him write this as part of his punishment? This PR move was obviously forced and contrived. Doesn't sound like something MJ would enforce, but who knows. Hopefully this is BS and he will still bring it, with a few less T's.

Posted by: td | Dec 3, 2010 8:32:04 PM

Apology accepted Stephen, but not really necessary. I have been a fan of Stephen since he was with the Pacers. When I look at this man here is what I see. I see a man that everytime he comes to play at Indiana takes the time to say hello and to let us know he hasn't forgotten us. I see someone who takes his own money to start a foundation for children. I see a man who with his smile can light up an arena. I also see a man who humbles himself to his team, his fans and to all who watch the NBA when he feels he has made a mistake. For this Stephen, you will always be admired on and off the court.

May God Bless you.

Sandy from Indy
Your #1 Fan

Posted by: sandy sharp | Dec 3, 2010 10:11:06 PM

No Stern didn't make this part of it....

But he sure as hell made this a game tonight with the B.S. , call of DJ(getting beat up) and Mohammad(getting GRABBED and OVER The Back for Rebound, by lopez) TOO EXTEND THE GAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stern you are a FIRST CLASS....................

Posted by: David Stern has to go!! | Dec 3, 2010 10:42:46 PM

i find it amazing that lopez never gets technicals. he probably complains more than rasheed wallace ever did. the guy is a total d-bag i'm so glad we DIDN'T draft him.

through 3 quarters his statline read: DNP (player's decision)

3 of 10 for 13 points in which he got several free throws gifted to him and a mamouth 2 rebounds in 39 minutes. when boris diaw gets 8 times as many rebounds as you in only 5 more minutes.....you should retire. we're getting absolutely hammered and can't get a call, meanwhile they're handing out charge calls to the nets when their feet are moving the entire time. both petro and farmar drew some of the worst charge calls i have ever seen tonight. just horrible.

eff the nba and its inability to hire good refs.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 3, 2010 11:10:47 PM

you think it's the nba and not the MAN(stern)?? Just a question not being an as*!

Posted by: David Stern has to go!! | Dec 3, 2010 11:58:43 PM

So it's just Bad Refs. everynight for us???

Posted by: David Stern has to go!! | Dec 4, 2010 12:34:30 AM