« Jackson's open letter to fans | Main | Brown: Best practice in months »

December 04, 2010

Stray thoughts on the Nets game

Some thoughts off Friday night:

-- One of you emailed me, asking if I found Stephen Jackson’s open letter to fans sincere. I wrote about that as my column in Sunday’s Observer, but here’s the short answer: Absolutely I do. Jackson can be cranking, explosive and irrational. But he’s genuine. I doubt anyone could make him do something he didn’t believe.

Does that mean he’ll always be in control the way he was Friday? Almost certainly not. But it’s obvious talking to him – one-on-one before the game and in a group of reporters after the game – that he sincerely regrets what he did to his teammates the other night by being suspended.

-- Boris Diaw had a tremendous game. I get everything some of you think about Diaw. But how many people can assemble 16 rebounds, 11 points and eight assists, while guarding someone so much larger in Brook Lopez? Diaw’s defensive versatility is greatly under-appreciated. He made Lopez miserable, while committing a single foul.

-- D.J. Augustin leads the NBA in assist-to-turnover ratio, but not if he keeps having games like Friday (three assists and four turnovers). But in fairness to Augustin, when your team shoots 36 percent, teammates aren't finishing at the rim. Your best passes get wasted.

-- Dominic McGuire can’t keep shooting 1-of-7 if he expects to play, but Larry Brown loves his defense, his passing and his lack of mistakes (no turnovers in 21 minutes).

Posted by Observer Sports on December 4, 2010 at 12:24 AM | Permalink

Comments

Agreed, the way Stephen Jackson behaved tonight proves the sincerity of his letter.

But Rick, why would you be pessimistic about the future? Jax can control his emotions when he wants to. I think this suspension might serve as a turning point in his career. You quoted him: "I can see I can do this.''

More than anything he heard from the coaching staff or from his teammates, the experience of sitting and watching his team collapse in the last quarter against the Hornets, and being unable to get into the game and change its course, provided him the motivation he needed to stay out of trouble from now on.
Act impulsively - you find yourself off the floor. Restrain yourself - the reward is being back in the game, being again a game changer. It's too big a reward to kick it away again.

Posted by: Sandy | Dec 4, 2010 1:06:35 AM

If larry insists on playing McGuire over guys who desserve playing time then he should be fired because they are not beating anybody with that guy. Maybe thats what he wants.

Hopefully he does not end up convicing the FO to trade Henderson and Brown because that would be Dudley and Shannon Brown all over again. Both players could hardly get minutes with larry's team yet are able to contribute to much better teams.

Posted by: crymeariver | Dec 4, 2010 2:40:17 AM

Jack won't be perfect in the future, but I agree, he wants to be better. And overall, he probably will be. He definitely was yesterday. There was a point in the fourth quarter when a call went against him that probably should have gone the other way (don't remember the exact call), and he just sort of shook his head, smiled, and went the other way without saying anything.

Posted by: Michael | Dec 4, 2010 6:58:27 AM

Echo the concerns about LB's latest pet pony, McGuire. What a horrible player on offense. Tyrus is not getting enough minutes (despite the latest every 4th game burp we got from Diaw). And giving Brown ZERO minutes, in order to play McGuire? I HATE the fact that LB will not develop promising players. Of course, grandpa doesn't have time left to develop players. He needs to hurry up and finish the season so he can get back to Philly with his 40-something wife and children, which is where he wants to be anyway.

Let's hope the new year eventually brings a new coach, new GM, and a true 5 and 4 to call our own (saying bye bye to Diaw and all the Bonnell love letters to him).

Posted by: Bassman | Dec 4, 2010 7:41:53 AM

Great comments Sandy!

Posted by: keyman32 | Dec 4, 2010 8:41:28 AM

Bassman......fishing is your calling....stick with it carpsucker....sorry.....assbassman.....I misspelled your goofy moniker....have fun carpsuckingassucccckingbassman. There, I got it right that time. Read this after you return from the crik bassfartsmeller.

Posted by: keyman32 | Dec 4, 2010 8:51:58 AM

Rick. Can you start getting some real answers from Larry? ESPN is writing how ludicrous it is that Tyrus does not get more minutes and you don't event bring it up. I could go on, but it is your job. Try doing it.

Posted by: Gary | Dec 4, 2010 9:24:57 AM

Despite their best efforts in almost handing the game to the Nets, at least Charlotte pulled this one out. Still, won't consider it a successful weekend unless they take another one in Philly tonight. Diaw was a huge bright spot, but what drives me a bit mad is he's quite likely to follow up a performance like that with a very quiet one. Unfortunately for McGuire, it looks like that Bucks game was fool's gold, at least for now.

By the way, I'm looking forward to more contributions from Henderson and D. Brown as much as the next fan, but I take a cautious view and expect growing pains from these guys. More playing time for them is not likely to result in more wins, especially in the short-term. I don't think simply resting Jackson and Wallace for the younger guys will result in the cure-all that many fans expect.

Posted by: Ari | Dec 4, 2010 9:27:04 AM

Gary, Rick provides incredible coverage of the Bobcats. He is constantly probing and addressing the relevant issues with this team. If you are a Bobcats fan and spend any time keeping up with Rick's work then you would be offended by your own comments.

Posted by: HAve2650 | Dec 4, 2010 9:44:11 AM

OK HAve. Now that we have heard from Rick's family. The next tough question he asks will be the first. Probing? More like observering at best. Which is useless from someone that does not know the first thing about basketball. This coach does so many things that are counterintunitive and has a track record of leaving franchises in shambles, but Rick is afraid to ask about anything specific. How about all the players he had to have that are not getting minutes or no longer on the team. Pet projects that are out of the league. Rotations that make no sense. Derrick Brown dissapearing for McGuire. (who won't be in the NBA next year)You must love his stray thoughts. Those are really insightful. What is offensive is what passes for "probing" in your mind.

Posted by: Gary | Dec 4, 2010 10:02:22 AM

So a writer from across states questioned why Tyrus doesn't play ten or fifteen more minutes. based on stats. Rick is in the building like everyday and travels to away games. Try probing your boss or clients for what makes them look like an idiot.

The stats are great because he's the guy that kills opposing second teams and also works it hard late in the fourth and OT. He also picks up fouls too early in the first three quarters. Did you see David West back Tyrus's chicken leg having self down as if he were posting up Henderson? I love TTime but you the whole picture. That's MHO.

Posted by: altheus | Dec 4, 2010 11:49:09 AM

i gotta say i don't agree much with the rotation at this point either but it's not like sam vincent or anything. i get why he wants to play mcguire but i just don't see the justification over brown. i get why its hard to play thomas over diaw or as a 5 but you got to find him a few more minutes. its tough.

gotta say livingston needs to start earning his money also. 3.5 million isn't a whole lot in nba terms but there are guys getting paid less that are a whole lot better thus far.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 4, 2010 12:31:43 PM

I'm thinking that Larry is trying to figure out what these guys are worth. Also, Bobcats ball is defense leads to offense and Dominic edges, barely but still edges, DBreezy and Hendo.

That being said, the Orl vs Det game, Orlando won without peitrus, reddick, jameer, or dwight. Knowing that deep a team is down the road you have test your bench out and coach our bad habits, like Larry's doing.

Posted by: altheus | Dec 4, 2010 3:13:56 PM

*coach out bad habits...

Posted by: altheus | Dec 4, 2010 3:16:03 PM

Mcguire impact on the game was -10. By far the worst of any payer. Anybody trying to justify his playing is kidding himself.

Posted by: crymeariver | Dec 4, 2010 5:05:13 PM

Ya know.

I'm back in his room teaching my kid, little bit ago about playing team sports(b-ball,football,baseball etc.) and all the while, thinking of this crap I watched tonite!

What The F! is REALLY Going ON!!!!

Is LB allowing these guys to touch a basketball through the week??

They all need to be sleeping with a B-Ball and carrying one night and day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disgusting!!!! Jack and Wallace, why? "turn and face up" every possession? Back down and turn around jump!!!!
That is what I as a defender have done forever, HONESTLY!!
What happens with that stupid looking shot, Dirk does 20 times a game!!

Posted by: David Stern has to go!! | Dec 4, 2010 11:50:21 PM

No mention of Tyrus stepping up and getting this team the game winning lead over the Nets? Rick is crazy about Boris, we all know this, but why not give Tyrus his props, you've got sports writers wondering what most of us fans wonder, why is Tyrus not playing more? This is probaly the teams best player and he's getting less minutes now than he did last year, what's going on? Yes he's raw, but you cannot even start to criticize Tyrus when Wallace, Jackson and Boris are playing average ball and getting lit up every night by players like Jodie Meeks. Boris is a good player, but at the end of the day, unless your a great Boris fan like Rick Bonnell is, the only thing you remember about Boris in the games is how chubby he looks. Tyrus needs alot more minutes, bottom line.

Posted by: Clyde | Dec 5, 2010 8:50:09 AM

anybody that knows anything about basketball knows that the "chubby" look that diaw sports..........is necessary in post defense. skinny kids get abused.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 5, 2010 3:48:17 PM

LB still crying about felton and blaming not having him as reason for teams performance. He never accepted dj for what he can do and dj is regressing.

What LB does not mention is that it is his fault that the team could not afford felton. He came in and almost double the payroll for just a few extra win.

Posted by: crymeariver | Dec 5, 2010 4:30:55 PM

Hey Rick have you ever praised TT's good performances.......NO. Yet when Doris has a good game against a garbage team like the Nets....oh you want to bend down and kiss his - you know what.

Anyone who tries to defend or justify that McGuire should be getting more minutes over Derrick Brown should be shot.EFFING kidding me here. TT deserves more minutes.I guarantee you he'll put up better numbers across the board (other than passing) than Diaw if he got Diaw's minutes.

You suck as an observer anyway, the only thing you do reasonably well is give the fans the lastest "info" on the Cats. Leave you player analysis and man love at home.

Posted by: I'm A Prickle | Dec 5, 2010 5:20:43 PM

Rick why are you deleting my comments, are you retarded. I thought the whole point of this website was so that fans like myself could argue my point of views, differences. If you don't agree or like what i'm posting then maybe YOU need a change of scenery like cleaning toilets and such, where you don't have to read what fans have to say about their team/players and franchise.

Posted by: I'm A Prickle | Dec 5, 2010 5:29:35 PM

Hey "I'm a Prickle" (formerly known as Prick, and I'm A Prick), I don't think Bonnell has any problem with your opinions. Just read, you'll see here all sorts of fans' opinions.
Here's one thing you can do so you won't get blocked: get rid of your potty mouth/hateful language, and some good things might happen. That's my guess. Try that for a change.

Posted by: fastbreak | Dec 5, 2010 7:17:43 PM

Wow, well done LB. Now Jackson and Wallace have turned on DJ. He has no chance now. Your two captains are following your lead. They too can use DJ to explain their poor play.

Do you think mj and Pip cry about BJ or Paxson not leading them? How about Kobe or Joe johnson? I thought everyone said Wallace and especially Jackson were the leaders last year? So disappointed in those two.

Posted by: crymeariver | Dec 5, 2010 8:44:39 PM

I look to the Phoenix game as to what I thought was Bobcats identity. Triple-double by Jack or Diaw. Threes by Diaw and Jack. Gerald and D Brown driving. Tyrus and Nazr driving and taking short jumpers. No long twos. Out-rebound the other team. trapping defense. Get shots up earlier in the clock than later. Shaun and DJ pushing the ball. Minimized turnovers. Granted it was the Suns sievense that helped us along but seriously that game still should be the barometer for who the Bobcats are. They're the Suns with defense. If only they'd approach every team with the same attitude that Jack stated then, "attack and be aggressive". Rick, please probe Larry and the guys on what they think of that.

Posted by: Altheus | Dec 6, 2010 3:36:06 AM

Besides making horrible draft picks, the Bobcats trade away players who can score for players who can't. Dudley, Shannon Brown and now Felton are better once they get away from Larry Brown's grind it out system.

Posted by: John | Dec 6, 2010 9:43:01 AM

it's not even remotely panic time yet. are we 7-13? yes. we're a game out of 8th and 3 out of 7th.

it's still super early but all of this is on wallace. if he's the guy, he's the guy. if he's not, he should be dealt and lets find out if brown wants to be the guy. brown plays like the guy even though he's not. he might not be quite as talented as wallace is right now, but he's way more talented than wallace was in his 2nd season in the league. the athleticism is there.

if you come out of a game down 2 and you're at the freethrow line to tie the game and you know that if you come out of the game that the other team gets to handpick who shoots the free throws........WHAT KIND OF BALLS DO YOU HAVE IF YOU COME OUT OVER AN INJURY THAT WASN'T EVEN SERIOUS ENOUGH FOR YOU TO MISS PRACTICE??? that's the statement that our captain, our leader and our "all-star" is sending to the rest of the guys. he's got to step up or step off. and it's way too early for anybody to be pointing fingers and blaming anybody. january 1st is when you can start saying this guy or that guy or whatever if we're out of contention. we're not. we're right in the mix for playoffs right now.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 6, 2010 9:49:36 AM

Not Panic time nor throw teammates under the bus time at all. Was it last year at Boston that raymond had peices of Garden floor actually pulled out of his lip and gums after the game but he still hit his free throws?

Nevertheless, give me the skills and a few million dollars and tell me I need to act like a Bulldog and I'll get you an Oscar when it's said and done.

Also, tell me I'm playing on a team with guys I can win with if we just hit a few more shots and I wouldn't need a PG to pull me along or get me motivated. Just go dominate. Do you. Change you.

Posted by: Altheus | Dec 6, 2010 12:08:34 PM

agreed. DJ isn't the problem at all. he's turning the ball over less and pushing the ball more. he's just not getting help from jackson and wallace and isn't owning the team as his. i wish he would, but in his first half season starting, it's understandable why he hasn't.

i love the point above about jordan and pippen calling out armstrong and paxson. it points out the problem with the guys we have right now, they don't own the spot. nobody owns this. there's guys like a rashad mccants for example that could come in tomorrow on a 15 day contract and own this team and not blame others for his own short comings.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 6, 2010 6:51:14 PM