« Latest on Bobcats injuries | Main | Jackson out for Timberwolves game »

January 04, 2011

A bizarre moment in Charlotte sports

I never thought I’d hear myself say this, but the Charlotte Bobcats have a more humble, transparent and practical owner than the Carolina Panthers.

Did you see or hear Jerry Richardson’s press conference Tuesday? I listened on WFNZ, while waiting for the Bobcats to finish practice. It was the first time Richardson has made himself available to whatever media wanted to show up in roughly a decade.

As someone who has always liked Richardson, who found him cordial and personable, I was embarrassed by his attitude.

He was flippant, he was condescending and he was certainly patronizing toward women among his questioners. I appreciate that Richardson has gone through some terrible times health-wise, and I also appreciate that he’s better in small groups. His strength is what politicos call “retail politics’’ rather than “wholesale politics.’’

But that doesn’t excuse what I heard. The vast majority of questions asked Tuesday were not just reasonable, they were obligatory. Way too often, Richardson would simply parry off fair inquiries with impatience or clumsy efforts at distraction.

You really shouldn’t gather your thoughts by stopping mid-sentence to ask who someone is, and you certainly shouldn’t ask the pretty blonde from the Fox affiliate to move to the front row. You also shouldn’t talk down to beat writers who have covered this team forever the first time those people get to ask you a question in a decade.

I wondered what happened to the guy who said, “Thank you, thank you, thank you’’ to the original PSL holders who made the stadium happen. I never got the sense it registers on Richardson that the people asking questions Tuesday were proxies for his customers.

The irony is the actual PSL holders would have been far less respectful if they had been questioning him.

So turn this to Jordan. I don’t get nearly enough access to him, and that’s predictable. But here’s what’s interesting: Those two times a year when he makes himself available (15 minutes, with some handler reminding you you’re on the clock), at least he’s open, efficient and willing to address real issues.

Last time Jordan did interviews (this preseason), he explained the decision not to re-sign Raymond Felton and what really happened with the Erick Dampier trade, how he spends his time as owner and why he hadn’t signed Larry Brown to a contract extension. You might not agree with what Jordan said, but at least he explained himself.

That’s dramatically more candor than Richardson displayed Tuesday and Jordan sets the bar pretty low. Other than Jerry drawing that diagram, covering the labor situation, I’m not sure how often he gave a complete, illuminating, answer to most anything he was asked.

Panthers fans deserve better than that. If I still owned a PSL (I’m one of the names on those granite Panthers), I’d be ticked.

Posted by Observer Sports on January 4, 2011 at 09:36 PM | Permalink

Comments

The Panthers are a terrible franchise. Go Bills! And Bobcats!

Posted by: Buckley | Jan 4, 2011 10:49:50 PM

Jerry Richardson has lost all credibility. I still support the players though.

Posted by: ripp | Jan 5, 2011 12:02:31 AM

Bonnell, you seem to be more insulted that Richardson deservedly put some reporters in their place during this press conference than anything else. Have you considered how the man might have felt about all of the crap that has been written about him, the team, and some of the players, mostly from "sources" that really didn't pan out? And that "I don't have my PSLs anymore but do have my name in Granite" crap is supposed to carry some amount of validation on your part, I suppose? Get over yourself, man.

Posted by: Monkey | Jan 5, 2011 12:03:35 AM

Patronizing towards women Rick? I hope you aren't referring to the exchange with Morgan Fogerty of Fox News Edge here in CHarlotte, she and Jerry Richardson were clearly joking with each other and they have a pretty good relationship with each other. Sounds like you need get off the PC Police wagon there...

Posted by: angrypantherfan | Jan 5, 2011 12:04:34 AM

This is a fantastic opinion piece. I may not agree with everything Bonnell claims here but he makes great points! Keep up the good work!

Posted by: Antonio | Jan 5, 2011 12:42:08 AM

Richardson deserves to get everything bad written about him after this season. He obviously has lost his touch. You don't go cheap and go 2-14, that is how you lose your fanbase. It's one thing to compete and lose games and it's one thing to be the laughing stock of league. Better give the fans some reasons when you put out the worst product in your professional sport. Don't think you can trick the fans with the "I want the young players to play" after you cut half the veterans on the team for young, unproven/journeymen type players. Can't win in any sport without talent. Also, don't leave your coach out to dry (John Fox).

Posted by: ep23 | Jan 5, 2011 1:23:08 AM

I appreciate the candor Rick. Too often Charlotte sports writers have been too easy on the local sports personalities. I don't necessarily agree with everything you say, but at least you had the guts to say it (in writing). Jordan does appear to be candid about any questions thrown his way, no matter how difficult the question.

Posted by: DJClifton | Jan 5, 2011 7:12:48 AM

thank you for saying what your peers lacked the candor or management support to say. i do not know of another city where that press conference and its weirdness would not have been topic #1 in the press.

Posted by: franchesco teratoma | Jan 5, 2011 7:20:42 AM

Rick, thanks again for being the only reporter on the C.O. staff that is not afraid to speak the truth about the Panthers. Richardson long ago turned into Shinn light. He is taking the money and running. Worse, he thinks we owe him, not the other way around. All that is left is an arrogant old man with a bad attitude. Sell now Jerry, do all of us a favor.

Posted by: D. Merritt | Jan 5, 2011 8:53:53 AM

Its a two-way street...

I believe he is a smart and humble person. If he wasnt yesterday, I guess he thought the media didnt deserve it. I would be interested if Rick thinks theres any merit to that.

And if the media can dish it out for a season, it shouldnt get its feathers ruffled for a day. Dont hold others to a standard and give the media a pass, imo.

Posted by: AndOne | Jan 5, 2011 9:05:27 AM

Still not sure what the whole point of the "news" conference was. The first several minutes were like fingernails on a blackboard. If I were the producer, I would have cut to a commercial. Massive fail.

Posted by: X+Os | Jan 5, 2011 9:06:44 AM

When you sum up what Richardson said - after the berating/flirting with reporters it comes to this:

1) He didn't have confidence in John Fox to coach another season.

2) But he kept Fox and the assistants anyway because it would cost him $11.4 million no matter if they stayed or went.

3) Then he forced Fox to play younger players and players he didn't want (for example, Armanti Edwards) by removing almost all veterans from the team. In doing this, and refusing to resign any players, he drastically cut his payroll.

4) Then he raised ticket prices to increase his revenue.

5) Then the team went 2-14, and he said John Fox did unacceptable work.

Posted by: Dreed | Jan 5, 2011 9:11:04 AM

Thank you Rick for saying what many were thinking. I do not see this paper's sports department taking a tough stance when the local team(s) need it, at least not very often.

Posted by: J | Jan 5, 2011 9:30:09 AM

I agree with you completely Rick and I am a PSL owner. I am very madd at what he said.

Posted by: jayboy | Jan 5, 2011 9:37:26 AM

I love it when reporters get upset that someone turns the tables on them. Everyone tries to protect their own. Rick is no different than Jerry Richardson’s poor efforts at obfuscation. As a matter of fact Jerry did a great job of it. After 10 years you think some of the so called reporters would have had enough balls to ask really hard questions like "Why wait 10 years to talk to the media and fans?
I listened to the presser and I was embarrassed at the conduct of the reporters. You people wasted a perfect opportunity to press for real answers not just let Jerry control the event. He did exactly what he wanted to do and controlled the media like lap dogs. What a bunch of wimps in Charlotte. Now you have to wait another 10 years before someone else gets another chance. Milk toast reporters and questions. You people suck. GO Jerry. You showed them how it's done in the real business world.

Posted by: Onsitecom | Jan 5, 2011 9:43:09 AM

Why is everyone bashing Jerry? He single-handedly got us in position to draft Andrew Luck- this franchise's best qb even before he plays 1 snap! When Luck turns out to be the next Payton Manning and we're competing for Super Bowls year in and year out, remember it was Jerry who allowed us to get him in the 1st place.

Posted by: jrguyiii | Jan 5, 2011 9:45:22 AM

You left out a Thank You! I dug up the tape of JR back in the day. I think there is more to his medical condition than we've been told.

the video of the back in the day JR is here

Posted by: Cedar Posts | Jan 5, 2011 9:54:45 AM

Stick to reporting on the NBA . . . if that's what you call it!!!!

Posted by: Roger Goodell | Jan 5, 2011 10:03:03 AM

Get on Mr. Richardson all you want but it is the "Press" that should have asked questions that would make fans happy. They bowed down to Mr. Richardson and you have the reporters to blame. What he did with MoFo was for entertainment and a way out for him. He did nothing wrong. If you do not ask the questions that people want to know do not blame him. Also why would Mr. Richardson want to sign players now when a new CBA will be up and the Panthers might be in the best position to get players when others are strapped to large contracts. What he did was smart this year and puts this franchise in a great position to be a contender for years to come. Fans here need things like this to happen, it is not always going to be great times with sports. Every franchise goes through struggles, deal with it or stop watching or going.

Posted by: KMan | Jan 5, 2011 10:12:31 AM

I agree. Many Panther fans feel somewhat "used."

Posted by: R Shaffner | Jan 5, 2011 10:29:09 AM

Agree Rick. The enter PC was embarrassing. JR's first comment was, "Ya'll didn't think I would show up (i.e leading right off the bat with a joke)." After what has happened the past year, all the jokes just weren't appropriate. After PSL owners building the stadium and then guaranteeing year after year of sellouts (unlike other NFL franchises), the fanbase deserve a more professional presentation.

Posted by: drfritz | Jan 5, 2011 10:31:03 AM

It is what makes a great boss. The boss is above everyone else. It is funny to watch journalists try to place themselves on "even footing" with leaders in our community. So what if JR didn't make you feel warm and fuzzy, that is not his job. The only people he has to answer to is his partners and his season ticket holders. They will show their support or disapproval through the money they do or do not spend.

Posted by: Mike | Jan 5, 2011 10:41:10 AM

Agreed Rick. That was a rambling, incoherent man with zero interest in his fans. It's a business, plain and simple and his attitude was pathetic.

Good piece. About time somebody took that miserable wretch to task.

Posted by: bgreene | Jan 5, 2011 10:43:42 AM

JR traded away all the Vets because Fox "Didn't Play Young Players" What about Gross, Jordan, Peppers, Beeson. Sounds like a $$$ to me. I am a PSL Owner and will sell my PSL as soon as possible.

Posted by: Ed Tracy | Jan 5, 2011 10:44:47 AM

Rick. I listened/watched the Pressy and 5 minutes in I was OFFENDED Mr.Richardson had the right to be BRASH and DEFENSIVE. As I said in my email to the Panthers and my subsequent phone call with Mr. Morrison this year, Jerry has lost touch with the fan base of the Carolina Panthers and is no longer fit for ownership. Everyone of the people who purchased tickets whether PSL, Season, or Singles makes an investment in entertainment. The return is always unpredictable as expected. However, do NOT mock me for my passion and concern for where this Team has headed and do NOT BS(fancy-talk) around serious questions that the fans as a whole have a right to know. We are 15 plus years in the league and have made no progress after the poor decisions made since Jerry's Heart Surgery. I don't see how JR can be fit for duty. His sons were obviously on the Fans and Media's side and that is why they were fired. Finally, it is the fans themselves who are a face to the franchise and to downplay the importance of fulfilling obligations to answer the "Hard" questions is quite simply foolish.
- Passionate Fan since 95'

Posted by: Passionate Local | Jan 5, 2011 10:55:53 AM

Great article Rick!!

I hope everyone with the Panthers read this........way to call them out Rick!!

Posted by: Scott Silverstein | Jan 5, 2011 10:57:27 AM

All will be forgiven if we draft luck, yeah we went 2-14, but everyone besides the steelers and colts go 2-14, so at least the season is over and will be forgotten, now if we do it again back to back season then we have a problem..let's talk about the draft, do anybody know how many picks we have this year???

Posted by: callingitlikeiseeit | Jan 5, 2011 11:12:16 AM

I think it is now obvious why he only speaks to the press once every 10 years.

Posted by: djfoams | Jan 5, 2011 11:13:31 AM

Is Bonnell an idiot too?

How long as Jordan owned the Bobcats? First year? Gee whiz thats a long time isnt it?

Jordan took over from who? Bob Johnson? And just what transpired over the past 8 yrs he owned the team complete with a 300 million NBA downtown area?

What spew did BJ exit with? Forget the owner before that who made it all happen and was run off and never had a downtown arena...

Does MJ not have the same privleges with the new area too? Completely paid for and all he does is collect the free money right?

The Panthers and JR are self owned and self financed and been around 15 years right? How do the Panthers and Bobcats compare?

You are not even comparing apples and oranges more like apples and peanuts.

Give MJ a few yrs and see if he will become another BJ. You have a short memory from just one year ago or less.

Then you can go eat some crow.

Posted by: Jerry | Jan 5, 2011 11:18:26 AM

Bonnell,
Perhaps if Charlotte, especially the CO, had some professional sportswriters, then you would be treated professionally!

Too bad Richardson's house cleaning didn't include the CO sports staff!!!!

Posted by: A Panthers Fan | Jan 5, 2011 11:32:00 AM

He contacts fans directly in emails, letters, and by bouncing around tailgates before games to talk with fans. For fans wanting rhymes or reasons beyond Wins and Losses, Hurney does interviews on WFNZ. The CO has, at times, seemed desperate to play the role of intermediary or play some role in the owner/fan relationship; however, JR makes sure to take time to contact fans directly. Thats much more personable and shows more appreciation than going through a media outlet for a canned or edited statement.

Posted by: AndOne | Jan 5, 2011 11:34:31 AM

being candid doesn't always mean better. jordan has done a great job turning a lot of things around since the bob johnson era but there's still a large gap between our organization and the norm for the nba (or the hornets when they were here for that matter)

richardson can't answer the questions because nobody wants to hear the truth. the truth is, the team needed to rebuild and they are PRIME to come out in the new collective bargaining agreement swinging. other teams might be severely handicapped by the new agreement if salaries are lowered or if they aren't but roster levels are raised. we're also super young. our defensive core that played GREAT this year is all super young. and experienced now thanks to this year. we aren't 1 piece away by any stretch but a solid draft, and a few more moves and the benefit of being PREPARED for the new CB....

the guy has run this organization correctly.

jordan explained the dampier trade and HE STILL GOT IT WRONG. the panthers have never made a move like the dampier trade. have we traded away draft picks and it not worked out? yes. have they overpaid for Free agents before? yes. but they draft better than 85% of the league and they haven't overpaid ANYBODY lately (unless you count peppers handcuffing them last year) and they once traded a dead guy walking (fred lane) for draft picks. that's the best trade in sports history no matter who you ask.

richardson and his staff have made the tough decisions for the betterment of the organization. meanwhile jordan completely lacks direction. we're losing games without rebuilding. without future cap room. without top draft picks. the panthers are losing for a reason. and hurney knows what he's doing.

Posted by: charlottean | Jan 5, 2011 11:40:07 AM

I agree with you too Rick. What I saw yesterday was a complete waste of time!! JR even talked like something was completely wrong with him. Something isnt right with this franchise right now and glad I dont own a PSL seat b/c I would be highly upset.

Posted by: big daddy | Jan 5, 2011 11:41:40 AM

This is what I would do on draft day:

*Nick Fairley or Marcel Dareus (DT) #7 from SF for #2 overall (from Denver)

Michael Floyd (WR) #32 from NE for Steve Smith and next year's 2nd rounder

Anthony Castonzo (OT) #33 from NE for Steve Smith and next year's 2nd rounder

Mike Pouncey (G) #34 from Denver for #1 overall

Marvin Austin (DT) #39 from SF for #2 overall (from Denver)

**Christian Pondor (QB) #65 first pick in the 3rd round

DE in the 4th round

FB in the 5th round

CB in the 6th and 7th rounds

* - we also get Tim Tebow with Denver trade
** - if Ponder doesn't fall this far then grab another DT

The Steve Smith trade might seem like a reach but NE has too many picks to fill considering how deep they are so they might be interested in bringing in a proven WR and postponing a second round pick until 2012.

Posted by: TopScout | Jan 5, 2011 11:55:35 AM

Jerry was fine.

I read all the reports before I viewed the video. Newspaper reports are a gross distortion of what actually happened, which is why most of us have trouble giving you all any credibility. He owns the team. It is his checkbook. He can do what he wants and, most importantly, he does not owe you in the media a thing. You are not proxies for us. You have convinced yourselves that a journalism degree and a word processor mean that, but they don't.

He hasn't lost his fan base and he won't. There is no other game in town. He is a well respected, smart guy. Just like John Fox. Teams don't push the right buttons every time. That is not an affront to the fans. There may very well be aspects of how Richardson has proceeded this year that turn out to be great. He may get Andrew Luck, who may actually be a great NFL quarterback. He may very well have managed his money well. He may very well have steered his team through this labor issue skilfully. Time will tell.

In the end, it is his money, not yours or mine. I can buy tickets or not. My choice. Only one team wins the Superbowl and your team is not garbage if you don't make the playoffs or win it all. Most folks around the country think we have a great owner and a great franchise. I've lived other places and agree.

Patronizing? My behind. Don't get so caught up in your liberal political correctness that every time someone speaks to a pretty female it is because she is a pretty female. I saw the video. She's editorialized about him, he was doing some editorializing about her. Kind of like how you write articles. They both were in on the game. There was not anything patronizing or improper about it. If she doesn't want to be talked to, don't spout off about the guy on your TV show.

Sportswriters are mostly juvenile wannabes who whine in the background about their theories of how things ought to be. They make predictions with no accountability. They write articles based on "sources" with no accountability. If somebody calls you on it once in a while, take it with a smile. That is what your targets do. Be glad you have the luxury of that type of job. Most Americans are accountable for the things they say and do. You get a pass.

Finally, if we don't like this, we all have the opportunity to make some money and buy our own team and run it as we see fit.

Cheers

Posted by: anon2244 | Jan 5, 2011 11:55:36 AM

Mr Richardson was outstanding. You dontthink if someone throws jabs at you that doesnt give you the right to do the same. The media in Charlotte is so lame. Quit trying to make news and just report it factually. The Panthers deserve better, especially Mr. Richardson. This team will only get better and it wont be by any assistance of the media in this town. Kudos to JR.

Posted by: JeffM | Jan 5, 2011 12:07:25 PM

Nothing wrong with Jerry at all... He could have fired Fox mid-way through the season but he showed some class and didn't. The Panthers are rebuilding and that is ok. Jerry has a lot of money to spend after the CBA is done - and he has the #1 overall pick in the draft. Sure last season was a throw away - but if there was ever a time to save your money and get the #1 pick this was the year! If the Panthers spent a lot of money in the off season guess what - they still would not have made the playoffs - so Panther fans get over last year and get excited about what is coming after the CBA is done!

Posted by: TopScout | Jan 5, 2011 12:15:23 PM

I'm a Panther fan and was not offended by Jerry Richardsons comments or attitude. I wouldn't expect most fans and especially BEATWRITERS to understand he's running a business!

The NFL is headed towards disaster because it is bound to lose money. Corporations aren't renewing naming writes, luxury boxes, etc because the struggling economy and angry shareholders won't allow it. Good for Jerry. Team is headed in right direction

Posted by: Steve Dunn | Jan 5, 2011 12:19:57 PM

Can you imagine Al Davis getting up and how "nice and sweet" he would be in similar circumstances? Fans around here are brutal as bad as sports writers. He needs to reconcile with his 2 sons and let them take over now before its too late.

Richardson just recieved a fresh dead persons heart 2 yrs ago and is living on borrowed time for petes sake. He is medically a walking dead man. Put yourself in his shoes. He cant get too upset or he'll easily drop dead on the spot.

As far as Michael Jordan? Jeeze man. He hasnt even gotten his feet wet yet. When he starts losing 20 million a year he'll really go ballistic.

We hope for the best for Jordan but the odds are against him 100-1. Only 4 out of 30 teams in the NBA make a profit. Go fig.

Posted by: Bankman | Jan 5, 2011 12:25:16 PM

Questions I would like to have answered:
• Why did you fire your two sons?
• Why did you raise ticket prices last season?
• Why haven't you fired Marty Hurney?
• How does a 70+ yr. old make it to the top of the donor list so fast? (my father wanted me to ask)

Posted by: X+Os | Jan 5, 2011 12:39:12 PM

What businesses have any CO reporters ever started? How many jobs have the sports writers created? How many promotions have you gotten in your almost TWENTY FIVE years at the CO, Rick? Maybe yall aren't as smart as you think you are. GO JERRY! The road to success is not always straight!

Posted by: RED RED Wine | Jan 5, 2011 12:51:29 PM

Geez, is the Richardson family posting here on this blog in Jerry's defense? Oh, that's right - he fired them.

Great article Rick! The Panthers management is accountable to the public. Glad to see you tell it like it is. And you are right - the fans would have been MUCH harsher on Jerry than the reporters were.

Richardson's conduct yesterday doesn't exactly fill me with much confidence moving forward.

Posted by: Gso Cats Fan | Jan 5, 2011 1:22:44 PM

Bonnell must be bucking for QC drama queen writer of the month award with useless articles like this.

JR was pizzed. Ever get pizzed? He may move his team to Columbia SC and play in Gamecock Brice Stadium if you pizz him off any worse then this.
He could easily just reassign PSLs 90 miles to the south. No prob.

Thats 90,000 seats he would easily fill every other Sunday as the Cocks have done for decades even when they lost 90% of their games.

For real. He is mad as hell.

Posted by: ColumbiaHereWeCome | Jan 5, 2011 1:43:45 PM

rick, stick to basketball, u slammed the greatest man in charlotte sports history, and in my opinion, for a story

Posted by: bo | Jan 5, 2011 2:12:00 PM

you guys are crazy if you think hurney should be fired......have you seen our draft history?

the only time we lose is when we have an overabundance of injuries (or this year where we blew it up to rebuild and still had an elite defense on the field)

whatever happened to people doing research before running their mouth? the only thing richardson has done wrong lately was fire fox but i can't be mad at him for having higher standards than what fox has done....i'm just afraid the grass isn't greener.

Posted by: charlottean | Jan 5, 2011 4:08:13 PM

Charlottean,

Are you serious?

Our draft history of the last couple of years is horrible...

Jimmy Clauson ( Wanted to trade pick)
Armanti Edwards ( Traded 33 pick)
Everette Brown( Traded 17th pick)
Cory Irvin
Dwayne Jarret
Rashad Bulter
Eric Shelton
Keary Kolbert
Evan Mathis
Attiyah Ellison

Thats just a few of the gems that Hurney has brought it in the past few years and they were all picked in the top 100 of their drafts. His busts far out away the few players he got right lately ( Beason and Deangelo). It would take to long to list all the flops since 1998.

What about offering Jake Delhomme a 40 million extension after he plays the worst game a Panthers quaterback has ever produced. And then cutting him and paying 12.7 million dollars to watch him play in cleveland

What about not getting compensation for Peppers and slapping the franchise tag on him when you know your not going to pay the money to keep him.

Whatever happened to people doing research before running their mouth?

JR is the next George Shinn.

Posted by: RickIsCorrect | Jan 5, 2011 6:11:55 PM

Bitch slap that idiot. Who YOU would have have picked and were they avail and what are these gems doing now. Hindsite = 20/20.

Jarett was #1 WR ever at SoCal All Amer #1 college player in 07.

Edwards ASU QB nat champ

Clausen ND QB had 2 brothers at Tenn as QB

Shelton 2nd alltime rusher in Louisville history

Brown was All American and 2nd leading tackles in FSU history ACC

Butler standout at Miami U

Kolbert was top WR at SoCal PAC10

Mathis was top OG for Alabama SEC

Ellison top tackler for U Missouri BIG12

Irvin - Ga Bulldogs DL

Nomore than 10% of all NFL draft picks ever become big stars. Only 40% stay more than 3 yrs.

Posted by: uscgamecock | Jan 5, 2011 6:56:32 PM

Good grief! Bonnell try dealing with people like Peppers who want a percentage of ownership to play when he will just run like hell when he gets the chance! Never to stay and fight the fight. JR wants some men to work for a check News Paper guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: spanky | Jan 5, 2011 7:08:07 PM

I agree with Rick but Rick loses my respect when he goes with WFNZ as his "sports station". They seem to think rasslin is big time. It is embarrasing for Ric Flair to be on FNZ so often. Then again, I just use my off button.

Posted by: Hamilton | Jan 5, 2011 7:08:11 PM

Richardson is even more of an embarrassment than Bob Johnson was.

His arrogance reminds me of George Steinbrenner! On second thought, at least Steinbrenner opened his checkbook.

Posted by: go Cats | Jan 5, 2011 9:49:18 PM

Rick this is the best post you have ever written. Kudos to you for giving your true opinion even if it may tick off the people you most want to interview.

Richardson had a long time to think about how he would handle this press conference, and I really can't believe how he bad he came off.

We need more courage in Charlotte sports writing, and this post is what I want to see. By the way, how did no one call out Richardson when he talked about finding a way to get younger players experience and playing time, and bragged that he thought they did "pretty good." Really? After a 2-14 season? I thought he wrote PSL owners that he was sorry for this year's team?

Posted by: Deuce | Jan 6, 2011 2:14:36 PM

rickiscorrect,

that's like 10% of the draftpicks he's taken.....what about getting guys like munnerlyn and gettis late? what about greg hardy late? what about beason, gamble, davis, williams, stewart, otah, gross, marshall, martin, johnson, conner, lafell, goodson, rosario, khalil, godfrey, etc. etc. etc.

and colbert as horrible as he ended up, had a great rookie year. and its entirely too early to judge edwards and brown because they've both shown flashes and are both still young. you gotta give guys a chance before you call them a bust. the other guys clearly were busts but again that's a smaller % than the majority of GM's in the league.

and for the millionth time (its incredible you guys don't understand this) delhomme's deal was extended because he agreed to take more guarunteed long term money in order to take LESS in 2008 so that we could make one last playoff run and be able to keep peppers and gross and others in order to do so. it was the smart move considering how good that team was. we went 11-5 because of that extension. sure jake imploded in the arizona game but that guy won way more than he lost and he took a paycut that year to get that team out there. the actual dollar difference from pre extension to post extension was less than 10 million paid out if i'm not mistaken. how is that a bad move? delhomme earned it here anyways.

you guys never look at the whole picture.

Posted by: charlottean | Jan 7, 2011 9:30:34 AM

Good post, Rick. It's about time somebody called it like it is with Jerry Richardson. Mr. Richardson has no respect for the Panther fans. This guy is well past he "sell-by" date.

Posted by: TribeHeel | Jan 7, 2011 1:04:40 PM