« About that bright shirt Silas wore.... | Main | Silas: Wallace may play Wednesday »

January 10, 2011

Expect Bobcats-Grizzlies tonight

There have been some questions about whether the Charlotte Bobcats-Memphis Grizzlies game will go on tonight, considering the snow here and potential for freezing rain.

I emailed an NBA official about all this Friday, anticipating the weather we're getting. NBA spokesman Tim Frank emailed me back to say the league is always pre-disposed to playing games so long as both teams and the referees are available. And that's the case here, particularly since neither the Bobcats nor the Grizzlies played Sunday.

I plan to be there tonight (despite a nasty bout of bronchitis that shelved me Saturday). I'm sure it will be an intimate gathering in the stands.

Posted by Observer Sports on January 10, 2011 at 11:34 AM | Permalink

Comments

You might be the only person in the stands, Rick. With the BCS on TV and things icing down in CLT, it's going to be an UGLY evening at the concessions. Rest assured, I'll be faithfully cheering on the bobcats from my laptop feed - albeit from sunny fort lauderdale (78 degrees).

Posted by: Zed | Jan 10, 2011 12:33:51 PM

Zed:
Enjoy the tropics.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Jan 10, 2011 12:35:58 PM

As much as I would like to see R. Gay play tonight (btw, the guy we should have drafted in lieu of Adam Morrison), I cant miss a second of the "real-time" edition of the BCS Championship Game. Expect less than 2,000 people at the game tonight. Take away the arena staff, bobcat staff, grizzlie staff, and television staff, and that just leaves you Rick.

Posted by: FuriousStyles | Jan 10, 2011 2:03:39 PM

Does that mean both teams and refs are all safely in Charlotte now? No one is stuck in airports, right?

Posted by: on and on | Jan 10, 2011 2:30:33 PM

Rick

Since it's a little slow today, I wonder if you could answer a couple of random questions:

a) Do the Bobcats have any sort of contractual option on Derrick Brown beyond this season?

b) Do you think the Cats will try to extend either Kwame or McGuire beyond this season?

c) What do you think the chances are that Stephen Jackson and Gerald Wallace are both Bobcats at the end of this season?

Thanks.

Posted by: uahal | Jan 10, 2011 2:31:53 PM

uahal:
1. Derrick Brown would be a restricted free agent after this season.
2. Would the Bobcats consider re-signing Kwame Brown or Dominic McGuire after the new CBA is signed? Don't see why not, if they continue to be veteran-minimum players (as they are right now).
3. Hard to put a percentage chance on both Jackson and Wallace staying. What I know for sure is before they fired Larry the Bobcats approached other teams and Jackson and Wallace were both available (one team I spoke with said that's the first time they knew of Wallace ever being offered).
I would caution that one of those same sources made it clear the Bobcats were asking a lot. I assume that meant a deal that both saved the Bobcats a lot of money and got them a young player or first-round pick.
I think they're open to anything right not, yet I still think the most likely scenario is no major change -- particularly so if they continue some recovery under Silas.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Jan 10, 2011 2:43:14 PM

I'll be there. Reminds me of the GS/Hornets game years ago - snowed maybe 1/2 an inch. There were maybe 500 people in the stands. I look forward to the adventure.

Posted by: HAve2650 | Jan 10, 2011 2:52:55 PM

Rick, I think it will be you and the guy in the Orange Coat, in the stands tonight.

Posted by: Courtside | Jan 10, 2011 3:24:12 PM

When is Gelard wallace expected back ? and will he be at or close to 100% ?

Posted by: Tommy Gootysheim | Jan 10, 2011 3:55:43 PM