« What were these refs thinking???? | Main | Thomas out versus 76ers tonight »

January 19, 2011

Silas: Quit your complaining NOW

Charlotte Bobcats coach Paul Silas is growing really tired of his team’s behavior. He doesn’t care nearly as much about whether his team’s getting enough calls as whether his players can keep their heads on the opponent.

The Bobcats have four technical fouls in the last three games (two by Gerald Wallace, one each for Stephen Jackson and D.J. Augustin), plus Tyrus Thomas’ ejection and suspension for elbowing Emeka Okafor in the face.

Silas called this stuff “nonsense’’ Saturday. Tuesday night, after the Bobcats beat the Bulls, he brought up the subject again, saying it doesn’t matter if his team is getting the worse of the calls, it’s pointless to keep acting out.

“Guys have to stop,’’ Silas said. “Until we’re a consistently winning team, we’re not going to get (close) calls. Bad teams don’t. I understand how they feel, but this isn’t helping.’’

No it’s not, and this isn’t a new problem:  It was a frequent source of frustration to Silas’s predecessor, Larry Brown.

Right now Stephen Jackson has eight technical fouls (with one having been rescinded), Thomas has six and Wallace has five. And beyond that Jackson and Thomas each has been suspended a game by the league.

There are 16 players in the entire league with five or more techs.

Call that fiery if you want, but Silas is convinced if this continues, it will cost them games. Heck, in his heart of hearts, Silas probably thinks Thomas already cost the Bobcats a game, between the ejection and the suspension (for an overtime loss in Philadelphia).

Silas was one of the toughest dudes in the NBA in his day. He sure hasn’t gone soft. But he knows the difference between rugged and undisciplined.

Posted by Observer Sports on January 19, 2011 at 09:08 PM | Permalink

Comments

Shut up the whining Bobcats and play ball. Just grow up or retire. I'm tired of it, sick of it. I hope you change your attitude or I hope Coach benches you for the season. GET REAL!!!!! You bunch of crybabies!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Mlk666 | Jan 19, 2011 10:47:49 PM

That's been a problem with the Bobs from day one as they have never gotten calls like they should. They also have never had a superstar. The two go hand in hand.

Posted by: DooWayne | Jan 20, 2011 7:24:13 AM

In the NBA - you have to beat the other team and you have to beat the Refs. That is just the way it goes.

Posted by: Courtside | Jan 20, 2011 9:18:00 AM

Not for some teams like the upper Epsilom teams get calls almost every night. But the lower tier seem to struggle to get calls, but if you are superstar status or winning team then the calls seem to go their way. I don't care how much you say it is just the game it causes a team to win or lose. I think we could have had about 5 winning games due to calls this year and also the Cats own stupidity with the techs and late game blowouts.

Posted by: tbird | Jan 20, 2011 9:20:58 AM

I don't agree w/ the biased calls in the NBA - it should not be acceptable by anyone. I've witnessed players NBA come to an end partly due to the fact the refs call ridiculous fouls against them. I also didn't agree w/ Jordan being able to push players under teh basket and get away with it. This is a massive flaw in the league and should be addressed. IMO.

Posted by: HAve2650 | Jan 20, 2011 9:40:17 AM

Epsilom=Echelon?

Posted by: James Reed | Jan 20, 2011 9:41:06 AM

upper epsilom? that is funny

Posted by: Grant | Jan 20, 2011 9:50:18 AM

There is a star system in the NBA and the refs are "unofficially" required to support it. Based on Sterns belief that stars and not balanced competition drive the revenues(Heaven forbid if Charlotte & Sacremento were in the NBA finals)this will not change. Acknowledging this the Cats do need to control what they can control which is how they play. Personally the next time Jackson whines, sulks and doesn't play D because he is too busy being upset about a call I would sit his ass down as an example after all he is a "co- Captain".

Posted by: Bob | Jan 20, 2011 10:05:03 AM

does he mean epsom salt?

Posted by: Jason | Jan 20, 2011 10:26:25 AM

Watch any game closely...a player thinks a ref missed a call, so he jogs back on transition past the ref and says "hey man, you missed this [insert movement] from number 25." If the player is a Derrik Brown, the ref replies "don't tell me how to do my job rookie." If the player is Kobe, the ref replies "I'll keep my eyes out for that."
And on the next play, the ref either makes up for it, or lets it slide.
So - it seems that small market teams will never get a fair shake because they can't afford big+established players.
It's not that the refs don't like the Charlotte Bobcats, but (until Wallace) we had no respectable established players. And if you think we've turned a corner, Jax and Thomas have dialed us back 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

Posted by: On and On | Jan 20, 2011 10:48:29 AM

Epsilom... Wow dude... Really?

Posted by: FuriousStyles | Jan 20, 2011 11:19:02 AM

rick bonnell with another sensational story.....

Posted by: shmyle | Jan 20, 2011 11:32:06 AM

Ok I get the point I misspelled Echelon or whatever the word is. Please crucify me for I have sinned. Geez sorry guys I made a mistake.

Posted by: tbird | Jan 20, 2011 11:39:20 AM

To my predecessors, thanks for catching that "Epsilom/Echelon" remark!I was thinking to myself when I saw it. I hope they hear their coach. It definitely cost them that New Orleans game!

Posted by: digal704 | Jan 20, 2011 11:39:22 AM

To all Charlotte Bobcats players: Stop being a bunch of BABIES! GROW UP and stop complaining! You are getting paid a lot to be basketball players and NOT crybabies! So please start taking control of what you CAN control and DO YOUR JOB. Go Bobcats!!!

Posted by: CharlotteBBallFan | Jan 20, 2011 1:40:28 PM

DJ Augustin took five steps without a dribble for a layup against Chicago in the wide open court with no one around him. It was so obvious it looked like he did it in slow motion. The refs didn't call a thing. The Chicago players were mad, but just brushed it off. Bad calls happen all the time, and like someone said above, refs always do make up calls later.

Posted by: HappensToAllTeams | Jan 20, 2011 3:25:44 PM

Trade Jackson. He was good last year but now he is not really contributing, instead he is destabilizing the team by complaining about non calls and what not. If he just played hard like last year we could be a lot better. Settling for threes with 18 sec on the shot clock is not the way to go.

Posted by: Panthersand Bobcats | Jan 20, 2011 5:45:23 PM

Get to the upper Absalom!

Posted by: BullCityDog | Jan 20, 2011 10:58:43 PM