« Silas Extension Announcement Expected At Noon Today | Main | Hi. Thanks so much for the kindness »

February 16, 2011

Silas Calls Extension A Blessing; Endorses His Son

Paul Silas says he's fine with the one-year contract extension he received this week from the Bobcats, which will take him through the end of next season, going so far as to call it a blessing.

Does that mean Silas will step aside after next season?

That probably depends on a variety of factors. He'll be nearly 70 years old then and may not want to coach beyond that. Silas said today his health is good and he's having a blast but it's taken some time to get accustomed to the grind after being away for five years, spending a portion of it looking at the water from his house on Lake Norman.

If things are going well and both signs are encouraged, maybe Silas goes year to year. It's obvious he's had a dramatic and positive influence on the Bobcats since taking over for Larry Brown on Dec. 22 and Silas talks like a man who believes he's going to get this team into the playoffs.

What happens after Silas?

His son, Stephen, is a Bobcats assistant and got a strong endorsement from his father.

"He’s at a point now where he could take over," Silas said. "He’s helped me immensely. He’s been in this thing for 10 years now. His time is coming. He’ll just have to wait it out.

"I told him I’d be his assistant behind the bench. He can have his staff on the bench and I’ll sit there and say, hey, y’all are doing a great job or you aren’t doing a great job."

-- Ron Green Jr.

Posted by Observer Sports on February 16, 2011 at 02:09 PM | Permalink

Comments

It would make sense to start grooming the younger Silas now. He has established a good rep in the league. Once Paul was hired, Dell Curry said during the first game that Stephen had called Dad, very upset at the fact that Stephen Silas was leaving Golden State. Apparently, the Warriors players loved him.

The way we have improved (15-13 vs 9-19), it makes sense to keep the Silas coaches around for the long term.

Posted by: J | Feb 16, 2011 2:45:20 PM

Good move for the Cats. They may not have all the talent in the world, but one thing is for sure, they are alot more exciting to watch under Silas.......

And as for Gerald Henderson, who on earth would have thought he'd be playing the way he has. His development certainly comes from the hand of Paul Silas.

Now if we can just get Rod Higgins to step down and hire an interim GM, we'd really be in business!

Posted by: Smitty | Feb 16, 2011 3:08:30 PM

Smitty

Couldn't agree more on Higgins but he is an FOM so he will have to screw up big time for MJ to give him the boot.

Posted by: Bob | Feb 16, 2011 4:40:12 PM

Smitty and Bob you are both right! The team could use somebody as GM with a set to make decisions and not be an errand boy for Jordan.

Posted by: Digal704 | Feb 16, 2011 9:39:34 PM

The same Higgins that drafted Henderson? Why is everyone down on him?

Posted by: George Shinn | Feb 16, 2011 10:31:54 PM

Smitty, anybody who saw Henderson play a single game in college knew this was his skillset. He's not spectacular in any category, but he's so smart and so steady. He can defend, he can rebound well for his size, he can play within an NBA offense, and his midrange game is more than fine.

GS: because he also drafted Alexis Ajinca and Sean May, traded Emeka Okafor for nothing, and turned down a chance to get Chris Paul. Dude is an idiot.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Feb 16, 2011 11:35:58 PM

with higgins as the GM, we have obtained Henderson, Ty Thomas, Kwame Brown...and hired Silas. I think he deserves some credit. And he did this while losing some payroll. So, le't give him some shot.

Instead of replacing Higgins...we could hire someone as a president to run the entire operation, including the business...and Higgins remains the GM.

And sounds like the son sillas is a good coach too.

We are a small market team. This is a good little team we have here and it's been fun. What more can we ask for. It's not like the lakers who just signed 3 billion dollar TV contracat. Let's appreciate the team and support them. I am glad the negativity Larry Brown brings is gone.

Posted by: championshipss | Feb 17, 2011 8:06:29 AM

Michael, you're right about Gerald H. I watched him in college, and I thought he was a good draft pick.

No need to be angry at Rod Higgins. The big player personnel decisions are made by Michael Jordan. While Larry Brown was coaching, he had a huge input in these decisions (though, MJ always had the last word). Rod Higgins does the foot work (market research, contacts, suggestions).

Ajinca was drafted because Larry Brown was very impressed with his potential, after a try-out. It was a mistake (since he had very little pro, and no college, experience), but it's not on Rod Higgins.
Sean May was drafted by Bernie Bickerstaff (R.H. was with Golden Sate at that time!), and it made a lot of sense at that time, given the way he played in his last year in college.
The way he became a waste of that draft pick (his lack of self-discipline and dedication) was absolutely unknown and unpredictable at Draft 2005 time.

Championshipss, I'd like too a real President of Basketball Operations: somebody with his own point of view, who can challenge MJ's assumptions and who will have a real input in the important decisions.
Bernie Bickerstaff matched this PBO model much more than R.H. But, this is not what MJ wants. MJ wants to call the shots, that's why put a fortune into buying this team. He hired R.H., and he marginalized Bernie (at that time, V.P. of B.O.) until Bernie decided to quit. MJ made a big exception, due to his admiration for Larry Brown, allowing LB's point of view to carry such weight.

So, let the man (Rod Higgins) do his hard work; he doesn't deserve to be under attack.

Posted by: Sandy | Feb 17, 2011 10:29:24 AM

Sandy

Read the comments that state they we know MJ calls the shots and so you can substitute any name for Rod Higgins the point is we need a GM that acts in every sense of the word like a real GM. The issue is with MJ. I know its his toy, but for us to truly be successful we need for MJ to realize what he doesn't know and put his "Hall of Fame speech" ego aside and look at it from an investment perspective. Even "The Comb Over" Donald Trump sets the parameters of what he is trying to accomplish with an investment and then hires the most knowledgeable people to execute.

Posted by: Bob | Feb 17, 2011 12:49:12 PM

Bob, you, I and or any other fans don't own this franchise. I already said what kind of PBO I'd like to see; however, I'm aware that such fans' preferences are irrelevant.

There are businessmen who look at their franchise as to a regular business, and let their PBOs, or GMs, run it. Not MJ.

Michael Jordan, before being a businessman (which he is) has basketball running through his veins. This franchise is his baby now, and he wants to take it to a championship - while he is the one in charge. Again, that's why he invested a fortune in it - to be in charge, to lead it his way.

I mentioned above Bernie Bickerstaff, who built this franchise from scratch - and I'm among those who think he did a very good job. When Michael Jordan started taking over the basketball decisions (when he was "managing partner"), Bernie was increasingly marginalized.

I posted a comment at that time, saying that I'd like MJ to work together with Bernie, and give real weight to Bernie's point of view in the decision making. What happened was the contrary. Bernie felt that his V.P. title became empty (of any content or decision power) and preferred to go to Chicago, to have a real job as an assistant coach (now, he's doing this in Portland).

This is Michael Jordan's team - for better and for worse. Do you expect fans' opinions to change this ?!

Posted by: Sandy | Feb 17, 2011 2:30:59 PM

Who drafted Adam Morrison again? I think it was MJ and maybe Larry Brown, dont know. Don't pick guys like Morrison that set your franchise back many years. Definitely lack talent and that is because most of our high 1st round drafts pick aren't on the team. If we somehow don't make the playoffs, gotta draft/develop players better. DJ and Gerald are showing some improvement, keep it up fellas!

Posted by: ep23 | Feb 17, 2011 4:10:57 PM

Michael Procton:

Such conviction, but so mis-informed:

Rod Higgins was not with the Bobcats when the team drafted Sean May, which was the same draft that brought Raymond Felton to Charlotte and the same draft that saw Chris Paul go to New Orleans. Get your facts straight before you start criticizing someone. You sir should do some fact checking before spouting off. That was Bernie Bickerstaff.

Higgins arrived in Charlotte in the summer of 2007 and since he's been here, this is all he has done that has affected the current roster, not that you don't already know this, but then again, you've proven not to check your facts:

Acquired Boris Diaw and Stephen Jackson via trade, drafted D.J. Augustin, Gerald Henderson, signed Shaun Livingston and the most surprising Kwame Brown and was able to secure up and coming Tyrus Thomas to a long term deal.

Posted by: kyle | Feb 17, 2011 7:54:21 PM

hey kyle way to give it straight with no chaser to mr. procton who thinks he know everything including that felton wouldn't be any good, i think the knicks are happy to have felton..

Posted by: callingitlikeiseeit | Feb 18, 2011 8:48:43 AM

Sandy

I think you need to get over yourself a bit, there is no need for the "lecturer tone" to your blogs. I doubt very much that anybody on here truly believes that MJ checks out the CO Bobcat blogs daily and makes his decision based on what is written here. For the most part we are passionate Bobcat fans who express our joys and frustrations through this site. It's sort of like a bunch of fans sitting at a bar without the booze talking sports. I fully realize MJ can do whatever he wants he paid for the team. Based on the results of his prior positions within basketball operations and the personnel decisions he has been involved I have strong doubts about his ability to make sound player judgements. Given that our GM is an FOM I don't see anything in the way to stop Jordan's impulsiveness. The only thing we can hope for as Bobcat fans is that he is now playing with his money and not someone elses.

Posted by: Bob | Feb 18, 2011 9:48:29 AM

Yeah, I'm sure the Knicks love how mediocre Felton has been. I'd rather have DJ, who showed before Brown left that he can EASILY outproduce Ray "35% from the field" Felton in the same system with the same players around him.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Feb 18, 2011 11:01:39 AM

MJ knows way more than any of you rabid posters here. You don't get better overnite in the NBA like you can in the NFL. The guaranteed contract is the biggest problem in the NBA. MJ is doing just fine as an NBA owner. It's a shame the NBA and the NCAA had to screw up both levels of basketball. I would prefer a player be 21 before becoming a professional. That would be good for both the NBA and the NCAA.

Posted by: Major Minor | Feb 18, 2011 12:50:29 PM

MajorMinor

I agree with your thoughts on the NBA & NCAA being better for both if players stayed for 4 years. I also believe that there should be a 4 year development league for those players who don't want college or can't get into college. My thoughts are the players would need to have an advisor that basically teaches how to conduct themselves like a true professional. It would be essentially the equivalent of AAA baseball.

Posted by: Bob | Feb 18, 2011 2:46:33 PM

Bob, several of the comments above were quite harsh and negative on Rod Higgins. I think this is wrong, and that was my starting point in my comments here (and I wasn't referring to you - until you posted comments addressed to me). In fact, if you look carefully, you'll find some similar opinions in your comments and mine.
Where we have differences, I explained and brought reasons for my disagreements (rather than just throwing some words).
If you call this "lecturing", too bad; I call it discussing reasonably, that's what I usually do, and I always like to see other fans' comments written in a similar - i.e., calm and reasonable - manner, whether those fans agree or disagree with me. Much better, as far as I can tell, than all sorts of attacks and insults, whether they go against players, management or other fans.

You sounded quite angry and confrontational in your last two comments addressed to me. You may be holding some grudge from some critical comments I made on some of your previous posts (about Stephen Jackson, if I remember correctly). For such anger, there is no need. If you wanna discuss any differences of opinion you have with me, I welcome this at any time. But if you're getting flustered by my criticism, this kind of "dialogue" gets unpleasant to the point of becoming worthless. If you can't read my comments without feeling "lectured" and getting angry, better skip them.

Posted by: Sandy | Feb 18, 2011 3:19:50 PM

Sandy
I have read your comments along with others in the past and take them for what they are opinions. I normally do not specifically call out someone except where I agree with their opinions. I have read several of your posts in the past and can't really say I agree or disagree with them in general as none of them have stood out. What I can say that unlike the majority of the opinions expressed here which come across as passionate fans expressing their opinions some based on fact others based on passion there is a "tone of authority" that comes across in your posts. One cannot see your facial expressions and body language when you write they can only judge by the tone of what is written. This happens very often in e-mails in business where people do not realize how the written word comes across. I have absolutely no problem with any of your responses or anyone disagreeing with my posts but everyone on here just needs to understand that everyone's opinion deserves the same level of respect. Have a nice weekend.

Posted by: Bob | Feb 18, 2011 3:51:34 PM