« Off-topic: So glad for Kevin Love | Main | The best show might be Monday »

February 05, 2011

Silas comes to terms with reality

Paul Silas’ post-game news conference, following the loss to the Mavericks, felt a little like a John Fox “It is what it is’’ episode.

I’m not saying Silas was spewing clichés. That’s not Paul’s style. I’m saying there was a bit of exasperation in his answers, as he acknowledged there’s only so much you can do to remake people.

Specifically, we’re talking about Stephen Jackson’s temper toward referees and Boris Diaw’s laissez faire attitude, when it comes to scoring.

I asked Paul about both instances. Jackson drew his 11th technical foul of the season, then kept complaining to an extent you wondered if he wanted to get tossed. Diaw scored 11 points in the first quarter and none the rest of the game.

(The Diaw thing is particularly interesting: Silas specifically urged Diaw to be aggressive offensively Saturday, if only to make Dallas superstar Dirk Nowitzki expend as much energy as possible at the defensive end).

Silas’s answers:

On Jackson, “He’s been acting like this for some time now. It’s up to him to evaluate himself. When you lose focus out there, it’s tough.’’

On Diaw: “That’s just who he is – all I can do is put him in position (to score). I can’t force him to shoot.’’

Did you hear the resolution in those two quotes? Sounded like a father describing a C-minus student, but knowing dad still loves his kid.

I don’t think Silas is getting down on this team. But I do think those statements underline that he’s coming to terms with what he can and can’t fix.

Posted by Observer Sports on February 5, 2011 at 11:32 PM | Permalink

Comments

No matter how you look at it, I think we are just the inferior team. I mean the bench does not compare to the top teams in the league. The talent is ridiculous against these teams. The only problem is the schedule is a lot tougher for the bobcats compared to Detroit, Indiana, and Philly. Milwaukee still plays some tough ones as well. I think without TT and some missing pieces we are done. But I do believe we make the playoffs, Even Wade said this team will be there. They are a tough ball club that plays hard and he believes they will meet the Heat. I believe Jordan has been thinking that he needs to find those few pieces that might work. I know he is not trading Jack, Wallace I wonder though and Diaw maybe a possibility. I doubt he touches DJ, Hendo, TT........We don;t need a big shake up just some missing pieces like a few shooters (Kirk Hinrich), Rasual Butler, Foye from Clippers, and bigs Kaman, Kliza, Biedrins, or Murphy, Thabeet. Lacking shotblockers on this team without TT. Well I expected this team to lose 2, but the Heat was ridiculous. And really don't expect this game against Boston, but it will be good to win. 1 out that 3 is not bad.

Posted by: tbird | Feb 5, 2011 11:43:47 PM

Let's hear it!! Our problem is...

Well Wallace is trying and Jackson is playing better(whining aside), DJ has more confidence, Kwame has become our inside guy....
TT is out but guys are trying to fill in! So who is that is producing the same way he has for HOW LONG NOW!!!! That has the ability(smarter than anyone on the floor)to score at will! However chooses to do so when he feels like it. Could probably have triple DBL Couple of times a month, if wanted.

The nights guys struggle, we could use a guy that can score 12 to 15 every night.
Yeah we(bobcats) could not throw it in the ocean tonight, but on most nights 12 to 15 from our starting 4(PF,diaw etc.), we win!!!

Don't pick it apart like an A@#! you know what I am saying!

Posted by: David Stern has to go!!! | Feb 6, 2011 12:00:34 AM

Rick I was just curious, was it you that asked the question about Diaw tonight?
I know I asked on the previous topic. Just making sure you got the question.

Posted by: David Stern has to go!!! | Feb 6, 2011 12:07:59 AM

Look up Boris on Wikepedia. See all the Info. Then see what happens after he joins the Bobcats! I guess they just need to update, Right?

Posted by: David Stern has to go!!! | Feb 6, 2011 12:33:24 AM

David Stern has to go:
Yes, I did. Not many real questions asked in those post-game news conferences that don't come from me or Richard Walker.
I asked about Jackson's behavior and Diaw's disappearance. Somebody should have, right? I do that stuff all the time.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Feb 6, 2011 12:34:37 AM

A!!!!!
I was Just Curious P&^%!! SO TELL US ABOUT DIAW BIG BOY!!!!

Walker is nothing but negative Sisssy.. Just like when he was a negative Whining Ass on ESPN about the Bobcats last season and claimed not too know he was going to be "Quoted". Guess I was the only that heard it and called him on it... On Wfnz!!. HUH BIG BOY!!!

Posted by: David Stern has to go!!! | Feb 6, 2011 12:43:51 AM

Winning accompanies one phrase; we were the aggressive team. Hustle plays. Block more. Steal more. Rebound more. We got one of those right.

Jack and Boris should have the ball more because they can both have triple doubles in a game; like Wade and LeBron nearly did against us. Let GForce, DJ, and Kwame benefit by scoring 3s and layups. Give DJ a quarter to be the score first guy he wants to be. The 3rd or 4th because that's when they usually go zone on us.

Posted by: SternFreeJackson | Feb 6, 2011 12:47:39 AM

dont be that guy bonnell. you are better than that.

Posted by: thevoice | Feb 6, 2011 12:57:05 AM

Voice,
Why do you have a problem with me answering a question honestly? Seems like what most people want. It's true: Richard and I are the only people in those post-games who ask real, frank questions.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Feb 6, 2011 1:10:00 AM

Rick

I have always liked you(besides Diaw) and appreciated the way you have interacted with us at times. Unlike some on other blogs.

Just pushing buttons as I know you have.. but, When someone pushes too far they call FOUL!!!!! Seems Familiar!!!!

Posted by: David Stern has to go!!! | Feb 6, 2011 1:12:33 AM

Diaw must go. Unfortunately everyone else in the league sees this behavior and understands the same thing we do. Great talent, wandering interest/motivation turns into non-performance at the times we need him most. So what has he done since his triple-double? Moments in games (the Miami game was quite a burst) mixed with disappearance. This is maddening, and Silas recognizes it. Thanks for asking these questions Rick. Now that you have the answer, are you prepared to write an article focused on THIS side of his play? It's worth doing because it represents the majority of his approach and results while playing the game. It is the most facinating (in a perverse way) and perplexing. Frankly, I hope it becomes an element of the story that accompanies his trade within a few weeks.

Posted by: Bassman | Feb 6, 2011 8:19:04 AM

I hope Jack can pull it together. He is really important to this team . Boris, I like him too. I hope he can step up more.sills is smart in recognizing the issues and choosing to leave it in their hands.what the heck else can he do?

Posted by: Digal704 | Feb 6, 2011 10:23:36 AM

Give me a break! Coach Silas, game after game, goes small at the first sign of trouble. And game after game he comes up "short."

It's outright foolish to go small on the Mavs. With two 7-footers in the starting line-up and Haywood coming off the bench. Then when the small line-up makes it exciting, coach Silas seems to think it's his best option.

The problem with the Bobcats is that they don't communicate on defense. Guys like Jackson and Diaw just aren't that good defensively.

Jackson and Wallace are both good players but on a championship caliber team they would be playing supporting roles and not the focus of the team's offense. Both would be 4th options, at best, on a championship caliber team.

Back to defense. Now, I've seen Kwame play defense and on the pick and roll he always shows or helps out but that only works when the other players rotate according to the center's movement. But some of these other guys just don't do the fundamentals of defense because their concern isn't defense it's offense.

Making matters worse coach Silas seems to just ignore that and then he pulls Kwame as if to say...you're at fault.

How many times have you seen these 2nd tier coaches go small? They seem to think that small ball will work like the old Phoenix teams. The problem with that thought is that small ball only worked with Phoenix because of Steve Nash. Do the Bobcats have a Nash type player on their roster? Then why play small at all?

The man, coach Silas, doesn't know what he's doing. He panics at the first sign of trouble all the time.

Let me guess. His son Stephan Silas coached in Golden State, right? How many years was he there? How many years did the Warriors go to small ball? Seems to me that coach Silas is more concerned with his son than with the make-up of this current roster.

This current roster has no business going small.

mike t.

Posted by: Michael C. Teniente | Feb 6, 2011 1:20:22 PM

And another thing. Have you noticed over the last several games how the Cats come out real cold to start the 1st and 3rd quarters? Some times fall behind as much as 10 points in each quarter?

I've been watching the NBA for 40 years. Have you noticed that each time it happens that the Cats are missing outside shot after outside shot, while the other teams his hitting shots?

Two things occur when that happens.

1. On offense the Cats are not going inside to start the 1st and 3rd quarter. That is a big gamble because unless their hot...the outside game has a low percentage of success. (Notice no inside game, means Kwame is not involved.)

2. On defense they can't get any stops. Especially when some of the teams are hitting shot after shot from the 15 foot range. Notice if they're hitting shot after shot then there's no rebounding production. (Kwame's not producing!) And so Silas goes small.

This team's roster is flawed and this coach only makes it worse by not holding his stars accountable on both ends of the floor. The only one he holds accountable is Kwame.

Heck, Kwame is accountable for Jackson, Diaw and Wallace's errors, too. LOL!

mike t.

Posted by: Michael C. Teniente | Feb 6, 2011 1:31:03 PM

Man what are you people complaining so much for. As much as I am a fan and critical of the Bobcats. Are they really better than Miami and Dallas in that aspect aside from the refs. Heck No!!!!! So why are just dropping the bomb on them. I guess we got a little happy after they beat the Bulls twice. We have to be realistic guys, I think MJ has some homecooking up his sleeves. And Jack of course he needs to cut it out, but even you say how lopsided the officiating is against a losing team w/ a nonsuperstar. We have to be patient they are playing the best they can and everyone is critical of Silas now. He has done a great job. Larry had this team losing by thirty points to the WIZ. Just be patient we havent had the luxury of having a schedule of the Pacers, and others that is why the cats are out of eighth. But we will be back.......................

Posted by: tbird | Feb 6, 2011 2:51:51 PM

Realistically, we lost to two championship contenders and we had opportunities for it to be close at the end. Jackson has been playing amazing and gave lebron and wade fits on both ends of the court. Wallace is playing like his usualy self, and well the rest of the team still has to improve...As far as officiating goes, its obvious Jack gets mugged sometimes in the lane and the refs just ignore it, I know it has to be frustrating but hes got to keep his cool.

Posted by: ctr0821 | Feb 6, 2011 3:10:31 PM

Last night's game was confusing. I have never seen the Bobcats have the ball stripped the way they did last night. It was like the Mavs were playing at a different speed. To be able to do that over and over without getting foul calls is pretty impressive. I felt bad for Jack, he's playing the wrong position on defense and not getting the foul calls he should on offense. Hopefully, he can get his temper under control. He just stopped running after one of those fouls and we can't afford that.
Rick, when you get a chance, ask if Wallace is hurt. Something is still off.

I'm pretty tired of everyone ragging on Diaw. He played hard as hell in that Heat game and he's one of our consistent scorers. I know folks don't like his style, but he's a good, versatile player.

Posted by: solidgame | Feb 6, 2011 4:02:03 PM

sorry solidgame we know boris has skills but we need a real stud PF to replace mr. nonchalant. He can score but he wont consistently, coach asked him to put pressure on dirk offensively he does it in the first qtr then says the heck with that. He plays every game but has hard as he wants to. We are a poor shooting team, last year nazi had a decent inside game. He's a year older and he looks two years older. Kwame is a pleasant surprise but scoring in the lane is not his game, that's why when our two best shooters Jack and DJ cold we go down by 10 to 15 in a hurry. Boris must go for a PF who can score inside. Like a rejuvenated Elton brand. That's why philly is ahead of us right now besides the the early LB debacle that cost us 19 losses.

Posted by: easye | Feb 7, 2011 1:17:00 PM