« Thomas likely back tonight | Main | Kwame Brown out tonight »

March 28, 2011

ESPN drops Bobcats-Hawks

ESPN has dropped its plan to televise the Bobcats' final regular-season game on April 13 against the Atlanta Hawks. ESPN will instead do the New Orleans Hornets-Dallas Mavericks game.

No word yet on whether Fox would step in to televise Bobcats-Hawks, which could potentially decide the Bobcats' playoff fate.

Posted by Observer Sports on March 28, 2011 at 04:14 PM | Permalink

Comments

I'm told the Bobcats have contacted Fox about doing the game. I'd be surprised if it weren't televised

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Mar 28, 2011 4:27:28 PM

Bobcats shouldnt be on tv until they is .500...

Posted by: Stankonya | Mar 28, 2011 4:45:06 PM

Well Rick, after the GW debacle, I really don't believe too many people care. This city has lost so many talented NBA players, it's difficult to be optimistic about the future. MJ is financially spent, the labor strife looms, and I need a program to know all of the players.
I know MJ had to what is best for the team, economically, but making the playoffs should always be the number one priority, regardless of seed.

Posted by: Dug E Fresh | Mar 28, 2011 4:59:01 PM

And Stankonya you shouldn't be allowed to post on the internet until you're able to write a sentence using correct English. You made that way too easy

Posted by: Conway | Mar 28, 2011 5:06:01 PM

Rick, currently the Bobcats have committed $49 million for the upcoming 2011-2012 season. If the salary cap drops significantly, how can the 'Cats even field a complete team?

Posted by: Dug E Fresh | Mar 28, 2011 5:07:44 PM

Dug:
You think next season's salary cap will drop by $10 million? And you think it will be a hard cap, where you couldn't exceed the cap to sign players to minimum contracts?
I strongly doubt a new CBA would look like that. And if it does, most other teams will be in much bigger trouble adjusting than the Bobcats would. In fact, they'd probably benefit from such a scenario, as far as signing some players on the cheap.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Mar 28, 2011 5:20:48 PM

It is about ratings people. If you had to chooose what teams you wanted to watch, who would it be? The Boring Hawks don't even get the people in Atlanta to come see them and the Bobcats are an up and down team who show what they can be, then go back to a pre-season team. It is not an attraction for espn to have that game on to get viewers and most importantly advertising dollars.$$

Posted by: EJ | Mar 28, 2011 6:25:55 PM

I think this sucks, I don't care what kind of position the Bobcats are in, it would've been nice to see them on an ESPN telecast, but I'll actually be at that game anyway, oh well....

Posted by: therealjd | Mar 28, 2011 6:51:48 PM

I'm surprised they didn't replace it with another Heat or Lakers game. After all, if ESPN was the only one to televise games you'd think there were only 6 teams in the league.

Posted by: PantherDave | Mar 28, 2011 10:30:33 PM