« Interesting stat | Main | Livingston's durability impressive »

March 31, 2011

Jackson, Thomas, Livingston out?

Charlotte Bobcats coach Paul Silas anticipates playing the Orlando Magic Friday without three rotation players – Stephen Jackson, Tyrus Thomas and Shaun Livingston.

Jackson (strained hamstring) and Livingston (bruised tailbone) didn’t practice Thursday. Thomas did participate in shooting drills, but his left knee was heavily bandaged and Silas said Thomas is too sore to play against the Magic.

That leaves them quite shorthanded, particularly inside against center Dwight Howard, the premier low-post player in the game.

The Bobcats announced this afternoon that center Joel Przybilla is out the rest of the season. That was expected; Przybilla (acquired from Portland in the Gerald Wallace trade) has had chronic soreness in his right knee, after undergoing two surgeries on that joint last season. He’ll have another procedure to remove wire that was inserted to help repair a tendon.

I asked Silas if there was any merit in waiving Przybilla to sign a fill-in big man. Silas doubted that made sense this late in the season, particularly if such a player was not eligible for the playoffs.

Posted by Observer Sports on March 31, 2011 at 01:57 PM | Permalink

Comments

No chance for a W against Orlando without those 3. Many winable games left though.

Posted by: BigWyche16 | Mar 31, 2011 2:25:06 PM

I didn't think we had a chance against Boston either!

Posted by: Jlr | Mar 31, 2011 2:29:20 PM

ORL will give the Bobcats a sympathy win...just watch. Besides, it's highly unlikely they will move up from the playoff picture at this point, so they will likely be playing ATL, which is the matchup they WANT. I don't think SVG will be risking his players getting injured while they already have a playoff spot secured and literally only playing for percentage points at this point. We'll see, but I think if the Bobcats play hard, they can take this game.

Posted by: KYL | Mar 31, 2011 3:06:47 PM

GOOD! I may be in the minority, but I think our best chance to win against ANY team is to only play those who are 100% healthy, and can run the floor hard every second they're out there.

Posted by: Newsinz | Mar 31, 2011 3:22:37 PM

There's a chance that the Majic may cut time on their starting 5 for many reasons. If I was a bench player I would want to prove to my coach that I want him to count on me for the playoffs. It's too early for them to just lay down and let us beat them doubtful win unless we play our best.

Posted by: easye | Mar 31, 2011 3:25:18 PM

The decision not to cut Przybilla seems a bit silly. We're going to be paying him not to play regardless, so the only reason to keep him is to collect on whatever insurance policy covers his contract. I'd liek to think the team was willing to pony up a few hundred thousand to have, you know, more than one center on the roster when we still have a shot at the playoffs.

Posted by: MichaelProcton | Mar 31, 2011 3:31:11 PM

Posted by: MichaelProcton | Mar 31, 2011 3:31:11 PM

Posted by: MichaelProcton | Mar 31, 2011 3:31:11 PM

Yes, that would be a brilliant move. Pay a couple of hundred thousand dollars for a guy from the D-league to play seven games. Make the playoffs or not, that's all he's going to play since he won't be eligible. So who is this impact guy we are not signing? Easy to say it's worth a couple of hundred thousand when it is some nameless savior we are passing on...

Posted by: TP705 | Mar 31, 2011 4:08:31 PM

I was excited for the Vanilla Guerilla. What a bust. We need to get that spot straightened out. Thank goodness Kwame has upped his game. Trading Naze made no sense to me.

Posted by: Nick | Mar 31, 2011 4:08:48 PM

Pryzbilla was never going to be ready for the playoffs. You are delusional.

Posted by: Gary | Mar 31, 2011 4:42:52 PM

Dwight Howard is going to have a field day against us. Time to roll out Diop.

Posted by: Tyler | Mar 31, 2011 6:14:16 PM

This thought came to me as I wished we could get Bogut or Griffin or Wall or Curry into the playoffs.

The NBA should decrease the regular season schedule a bit to accommodate a 12 playoff teams: The best 10 teams and two collaboration teams; i.e. the 11th and 14th teams combine their best players and the 12th and 13th do likewise. It would be more interesting overall and small market teams have a better sense of value.

Not likely, but imagine the combinations.

Posted by: GoldVesuvius | Mar 31, 2011 7:21:59 PM

Eddie Curry, former player from the Knicks, traded and bought out by the 'Wolves is available. Maybe, Mike can sign him for the rest of the season to play backup to Kwame for this playoff run. Kwame needs help, especially with Przy' now gone for the season. Eddie's a big body that can score some and give a little boards, although I've read he wants to sign with Miami, which will probably happen next year. Yet, he can be currently useful for the Bobcats for the remainder of this season.

Posted by: Ron | Mar 31, 2011 11:25:27 PM

why do I get the feeling the game will come down to the buzzer! When I know we have no chance of winning this one?

Posted by: joe cool | Apr 1, 2011 8:47:26 AM

if the bobcats win this game, i will run down college st, uptown, butt azz naked, eating a pickle in one hand and drinking a miller lite..and no way in hell the bobcats can win without those three guys..

Posted by: mr.jones | Apr 1, 2011 2:20:56 PM

Mr Jones,

Just FYI, even though I know Orlando is a better team that Boston right now, don't forget the Bobcats beat the Celtics just a week ago in Boston, without Thomas, nor Jackson. And Livingston was not a factor in that game.

Posted by: RobC | Apr 1, 2011 4:38:43 PM